Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy Peasy Recipies

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭daosulli

Trojan wrote: »
    Here's an alternative recipe for carbonara as shown to me by a friend from Rome. (note: he stressed that cream should not be part of the recipe)

Requires:
    • Spaghetti
    • Eggs
    • Bacon
    • Parmesan
    • Olive oil
    • Salt
    • Optional: crushed black pepper
    • Water

1. Cook spaghetti:
    a. boil water with some olive oil (or butter if preferred) and a good amount of salt to your preference
    b. put spaghetti into boiling water
    c. cook for about 10 mins (don’t overcook – keep tasting it until it’s al dente – I usually over estimate how long it needs!)

2. Fry bacon:
    a. chop 2 -3 rashers per person up into small squares (scissors is handy)
    b. fry in olive oil for 3-6 mins
    c. save all of this (keeping the oil for flavour) in a bowl
    3. Grate parmesan – the more, the better.
    4. Drain spaghetti and put back in saucepan – but don’t put it back on the heat
    5. Add bacon & olive oil immediately
    6. Crack 1-2 eggs per person (3 is good for 2 people, 4 for 3) into the spaghetti which should still be very hot
    7. Mix really well for 1-2 mins – the heat from the spaghetti will cook the eggs
    8. Add lots of grated parmesan and mix well.
    9. Taste and add a little more salt and the freshly crushed black pepper if desired

(I wrote this up for someone, hence the almost too-obvious instructions)

Made this last nite . . Yum Yum . . Thanks for the recipe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ScallowayLass

I made this at the weekend and it was GOOOD!!! Love monkfish!! and it was quite easy :)

Ingredients
    • 4 x 175g/6oz monkfish tail fillets, trimmed
    • 100g/3½oz plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 150g/5½oz unsalted butter
    • 250g/9oz ready-rolled puff pastry
    • 1 free-range egg, beaten
    For the pâté Preparation method
    1. Dust the monkfish in the seasoned flour.
    2. Heat the butter in a frying pan and fry the monkfish for one minute on each side, or until golden-brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
    3. Meanwhile, for the pâté, blend the smoked salmon, cream cheese, cream, lemon juice and seasoning in a food processor to a purée. Fold in the capers.
    4. Cut the puff pastry into four pieces, each large enough to wrap around a monkfish fillet.
    5. Spoon some of the pâté along the middle of each pastry piece, then sit a piece of monkfish on top. Fold the pastry over to form a parcel and trim off any excess.
    6. Brush each parcel with beaten egg and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
    7. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
    8. Bake the Wellingtons in the oven for 18-20 minutes, or until golden-brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

I made this at the weekend and it was GOOOD!!! Love monkfish!! and it was quite easy :)

Ingredients
    • 4 x 175g/6oz monkfish tail fillets, trimmed
    • 100g/3½oz plain flour, seasoned with salt and freshly ground black pepper
    • 150g/5½oz unsalted butter
    • 250g/9oz ready-rolled puff pastry
    • 1 free-range egg, beaten
    For the pâté Preparation method
    1. Dust the monkfish in the seasoned flour.
    2. Heat the butter in a frying pan and fry the monkfish for one minute on each side, or until golden-brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and set aside to cool.
    3. Meanwhile, for the pâté, blend the smoked salmon, cream cheese, cream, lemon juice and seasoning in a food processor to a purée. Fold in the capers.
    4. Cut the puff pastry into four pieces, each large enough to wrap around a monkfish fillet.
    5. Spoon some of the pâté along the middle of each pastry piece, then sit a piece of monkfish on top. Fold the pastry over to form a parcel and trim off any excess.
    6. Brush each parcel with beaten egg and chill in the fridge for 20 minutes.
    7. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.
    8. Bake the Wellingtons in the oven for 18-20 minutes, or until golden-brown.

What's with all the links? Black Pepper link? Just in case someone reading this has never heard of black pepper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 ScallowayLass

^^ :D Ha ha!!
    Nope, just lazy copy and paste.....came off the website I took it from, never bothered unlinking everything ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭shebango

Tomato and Chili Soup.

Chop one onion and two cloves of garlic and fry in a wok with olive oil until translucent. Then, add a sprinkle of chili flakes or more if you like it hot. Then, add a tin of chopped tomatoes, refill the tin with water twice and add. Season with a little sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and simmer for about 30 min. Add two tablespoons of creme fraiche and a handful of fresh basil. Blitz with a blender until smooth. AMAZING! And so, so easy!;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭johnnycee66

Individual apple tarts

Easy, tasty!

Roll out a sheet of puff pastry and cut out 4 6-inch rounds with a breakfast bowl or something similar. Score an inner rim on each round, a few cm in from the edge. prick pasrty rounds with a fork, put them on a buttered tray and leave in fridge for 20 mins minimum.

peel, core and slice 4 eating apples, and lay 1 apple per round on pastry in overlapping slices, leaving edge clear. Brush with melted butter and scatter with sugar. Bake for 15 mins at 200 degrees.

have icecream ready, smell is amazing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pasta bake for 2 large helpings

Pasta fusilli - 220 g
    One jar of Dolmio Pasta Bake - Carbonara 480g
    Bacon - 3 slices of streaky
    Frozen peas - a cup
    Grated Cheese - half a cup

Boil and simmer pasta until soft.
    Turn on top oven and preheat
    Throw peas into the pasta about 5 mins before pasta ready
    Chop and fry bacon for a few mins
    Grate cheese.

Empty everything into an oven proof dish and mix up with pasta sause, add cheese on top. Sling in oven at 180 C until cheese starts to brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭fonda

Get a pack of nice big quarter pounder burgers and cook them and leave aside. Make some pepper sauce in a pot and then sit the burgers back in the sauce to soak leaving on the lowest heat to keep warm.
    Fry a rasher on the pan and get a bap and cut in half and toast under the grill.
    Place just one half of the bap on the plate put the burger on top and then the rasher on the burger and if you have a cocktail stick put it thru them.
    Serve with chunky chips or mash & veg or roastys & veg and have side serving of the remaining pepper sauce.

This is the handy version and takes about 15 mins to make. If you want to put in a bit more effort and make it nicer, make your own homemade burgers, homemade sauce and homemade chips!

Bottle of wine washes it down really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Oven roast Spanish Chicken

Pre heat over Gas 6

Chicken Thighs (bone in, skin trimmed but on)
    Spanish Cooking Sausage sliced (Lidl Dulano one works grand with nice Paprika hit)
    Red Onion chopped
    3 medium potatoes, peeled and 1"diced
    Dried Oregano
    Zest of 1 Orange (no juice otherwise chicken will braise)

Fry chicken thighs skin side down until crisp and just golden.
    Turn chicken skin side up space out thighs.
    Arrange cooking sausage, red onion and potato in roasting dish in between chicken thighs.
    Season, with salt and little ground pepper if liked, sprinkle with oregano. Sprinkle orange zest on chicken skin.

Roast in oven for 50/60 mins, checking that meat is cooked through and juices run clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

mike65 wrote: »
    Pasta bake for 2 large helpings

Pasta fusilli - 220 g
    One jar of Dolmio Pasta Bake - Carbonara 480g
    Bacon - 3 slices of streaky
    Frozen peas - a cup
    Grated Cheese - half a cup

Boil and simmer pasta until soft.
    Turn on top oven and preheat
    Throw peas into the pasta about 5 mins before pasta ready
    Chop and fry bacon for a few mins
    Grate cheese.

Empty everything into an oven proof dish and mix up with pasta sause, add cheese on top. Sling in oven at 180 C until cheese starts to brown.

I do a similar dish but use diced chicken breast instead of bacon and broccolli instead of peas!

I suppose you could easily use both broccolli and peas, similary a bit of bacon/ham pieces with the chicken wouldn't be too bad either for a nice filling dish!!!

Thats tonights dinner sorted now! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Some great stuff in this thread!!

Here's one I learned recently.

Butternut Squash Risotto (serves 2)

Fry up some onion (or shallot) and garlic in some olive oil- or butter if you prefer.

Add half a butternut squash (chopped into small cubes) and continue cooking for a few minutes until the onion is nice & soft, then throw in some risotto rice (I use a small mug of Arborio - about €1.80 for a pack in Tesco) and stir until coated.

Add in a glass of white wine and stir until absorbed, then add in a ladle full of stock (chicken or veg) and stir until that is absorbed and continue adding gradually & stirring until the rice is soft with a kind of creamy texture. Throw in a nob of butter at the end and stir it in (optional). Season with a small bit of salt black pepper to taste (and Parmesan if you like)!

You can probably do it in the oven too and just add it all in in one go, but I haven't tried that!

Another handy one is sweet potato chips!

Easy peasy, just peel and chop your sweet potato into chip portions, put em in a plastic bag with a good drizzle of olive oil and whatever seasoning you like (I use black pepper, salt & rosemary), make sure the chips are evenly coated and then spread them on a flat baking tray. Put in a hot oven for about 20 mins keeping an eye on them and they're yummy!!

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

Easy hash browns

Using a normal grater, or a grating attachment on a food processor, grate 2 large raw peeled potatoes. Take handfuls of the grated mix and squeeze hard over a bowl so that as much liquid comes out as possible. Heat a little olive oil in a pan - when hot, add the spuds, pressing them down with an egg slice or similar so they stick together into a cake. Sprinkle the top with salt and some black pepper, cook until the edges start to go golden, then toss like a pancake and cook the other side, sprinkling more salt and pepper over what is now the top. Cut into sections and serve with a fried egg on top and some grilled rashers, or whatever you fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

shebango wrote: »
    Tomato and Chili Soup.

Chop one onion and two cloves of garlic and fry in a wok with olive oil until translucent. Then, add a sprinkle of chili flakes or more if you like it hot. Then, add a tin of chopped tomatoes, refill the tin with water twice and add. Season with a little sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to boil and simmer for about 30 min. Add two tablespoons of creme fraiche and a handful of fresh basil. Blitz with a blender until smooth. AMAZING! And so, so easy!;)

Tried this receipe this evening, its gorg, thanks a mill! Cant believe how simple and tasty it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭nearly

I like this thread!

We call this "pasta surprise". The surprise bit is that you make it out of whatever veg you have, so you're not sure how it comes out. This requires a pot to boil pasta and then a wide bottom pan to cook the veg.

The whole thing takes as long as it takes to cook pasta. I do all the cutting after i start the pasta and as I cook, so it goes fairly quickly. cut, put in pan, cut others, put in pan, etc. I'm no master at cutting veg, so depends probably on your knife skills :)

Ingredients:
    Spaghetti
    1 courgette
    1/2 aubergine (or not if you don't have it)
    Punnet of mushrooms (or not if you don't have them)
    1 whole fresh tomato quartered, (or 2 handfuls of cherry tomatos)
    1-2 cloves of garlic

Optional for meat eaters:
    -2 good sausages, or 2 thick slices of bacon.
    - Fresh parmesan

Fill kettle and boil it.
    Pour into large pot, add some salt and oil.
    Spaghetti enough for you, or double to have leftovers.
    Keep an eye on it, boil fast and give it a stir now and again.

Slice an onion in half from root to top. Then slice against the grain thinly, (so it cooks quickly, and they go floppy).
    Add to a pan with some hot oil, (I use sunflower or the not fancy olive oil). Stir to begin the softening at medium heat. You're going to soften and make it golden or brown to bring out the sugars from the onion. Keep on stirring as you're chopping.

You can use a courgette or half an aubergine, or both. You can also use mushrooms and tomatos if you have them. You can use all or one of these. Cut courgette in longways half, cut aubergine in 1/4 long ways. Slice about 1/4 an inch thick, or thinner, so it cooks quickly. Again, slice the mushroom fairly thin too. Add to the softened onion. Keep on stirring as you're chopping.

Now crush and/or finely chop a garlic clove, or if you're like me, two garlic cloves! Add to the softening veg. Sprinkle on some dried oregano.

The pasta should be cooked now. When it is, drain off the pasta, over a mug in the sink so you can save some of the cooking water. (Just occurs to me I could scoop out pasta water, but I never think of that!)

Pour a tablespoon of good extra virgin olive oil over pasta with some black pepper (peper grinders are ideal for this, yum). Mix it up. Now it won't stick together.

Back to the veg, add 1/4 cup of the pasta water. Add some baby spinach. I use half a bag if I have it. Add some more water, if you need to- it should be a little saucy. If you had fresh basil leaves they are really good in this too.

Pretty much it's done when the spinach wilts. Put the pasta on a plate, and put the veg on top of it.

To meatify this:
    - Before the veg: Cut up and cook 2 nice sausages (or two pieces of thick cut bacon) in the pan before you start the veg. Remove and put sausages into kitchen paper to drain off fat. Wipe pan with kitchen paper and proceed to cook the veg. Add the meat when you add the pasta water and spinach.
    - Sprinkle on parmesan cheese when serving.

This is actually a super simple recipe. But writing it out it looks very looong. It's not! It's all over and ready to eat so quickly. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

• Boil pasta
    • Let it cool slightly
    • Add a drained can of tuna
    • Add sweetcorn
    • Add some red pepper
    • Mix with mayo
    YUM!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭bambera

This one is handy if you have any french bagutte left over from the day before and it's just that little bit too hard to eat.

Cut the bagutte into cirlces.
    In a bowl, mix a load of tomato puree and some choped up garlic (bit of oregano too if you have it)
    Spoon the sauce onto the slices and add some grated cheese and stick under the grill untill the cheese melts.

(you may want to grill the underneath of the slices before you put the sauce on if you like that part crispy too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Pasta with creamy sauce

Penne/Tagliatelle/whatever Pasta you have...
    Small carton Creme Fraiche (recommend Lidl one it is really good)
    Dijon Mustard or any mustard that you like...
    Streaky rindless rashers, chopped.
    Small onion finely chopped or Scallions chopped.
    Mushrooms finely sliced
    Little Olive Oil or whatever you have

Put pasta on to boil per packet
    Meanwhile, over a medium heat, fry off the bacon, onion or scallion, mushrooms in a little olive oil till bacon is a little crispy and onion and mushrooms cooked nicely golden..

Mix half the carton of Creme Fraiche with a teaspoon of Dijon mustard (use more according to your taste).

Add Creme Fraiche to frying pan, reduce heat to low and gently heat through.

Pasta should be ready now, so check and drain.
    Add frying pan, stirring to coat pasta with sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Beruthiel wrote: »
    we should have a sticky for quick and easy recipies

Tagetelli with Smoked Salmon

ingred:
    tagetelli
    smoked salmon
    pinch of nutmeg
    fresh cream

boil the tagetelli to taste

chop smoked salmon into small, thin slices

put fresh cream into pan, add the smoked salmon and pinch of nutmeg, heat slowly and do not bring to boil
    when the tagetelli is strained, drop sauce into the pasta, stir.
    ready in 15mins and damn tastey.
    Just wondering about the Salmon, which type of Salmon can be used?

Pre-packed or Fresh

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

bambera wrote: »
    This one is handy if you have any french bagutte left over from the day before and it's just that little bit too hard to eat.

Cut the bagutte into cirlces.
    In a bowl, mix a load of tomato puree and some choped up garlic (bit of oregano too if you have it)
    Spoon the sauce onto the slices and add some grated cheese and stick under the grill untill the cheese melts.

(you may want to grill the underneath of the slices before you put the sauce on if you like that part crispy too.)

This is nice with leftover pitta breads too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

This recipe is really easy if you don't have much in the fridge and you want something really quickly except I make it in a wok instead of the microwave and I leave out the garlic, peas and cashew nuts.:)

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1472/easy-sweet-and-sour-chicken

• Advertisement

Chicken and Mushroom Pie, enough for 3/4 servings.

2 chicken breasts
    Mushrooms
    Cream of mushroom soup 280ml
    Wild mushroom sauce 200 ml
    Frozen Puff pasty (thawed!)
    Water
    Olive Oil

Shallow oven proof dish

Right this is very easy, chop up chicken and mushrooms and put in frying pan with some
    oil on a low heat and gently cook. Empty soup and sauce into 550 ml (metric pint) jug and mix with a bit of water to top up. Add mix to the chicken and mushrooms and heat gently, roll out enough pastry so you can cover the dish plus about half and inch/1.5 cm extra. If you have enough you could clad the whole dish in pastry which is what I did.

Put on top oven at 150C

When the pan mix is just starting to bubble pour into dish pat down the
    pastry against the top edges of dish and brush milk over top and pierce.

Place in oven and check after 15 mins, it won't take long.

ChickenandMushroomPie1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

where would you buy wild mushroom sauce and what is it please ? recipe sounds yum.

Example, I found it (not this brand) in my local Centra by Knorr.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51W9p2Sil4L.jpg

Its basicly a rich sauce with shredded baby mushrooms in it.

Tuna and potato bake

Steam 5 spuds
    Open can of tuna
    Open can of baked beans
    Chop half an onion
    Shred cheese

Mash spuds, add half tin of beans, add tuna, add onion, pour into deep tin. Sprinkle cheese on top.

Top oven at 160C until slightly burnt on top! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Minder wrote: »
    What's with all the links? Black Pepper link? Just in case someone reading this has never heard of black pepper?

or egg ?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Desert Rose

Tuna with yogurt.

1 can of tuna
    1 onion finely chopped
    3-4 tablespoons of yogurt
    Black pepper
    Boiled rice

Fry the chopped onion until softened, add the drained tuna and then the yogurt and leave until heated right through -don't let it boil.
    Use as a sauce on a bed of rice and sprinkle black pepper on top.
    Can probably add some kind of herb to it too..

Just wondering about the Salmon, which type of Salmon can be used?

Pre-packed or Fresh

Thanks.

I used lidl frozen smoked salmon, which comes in two wedges enough for two servings.

I tried this tonight, it needs development! As it stands tis a bit bland, not sure what can be added to add more interest. Also make sure you heat your plate this is the sort of meal that loses its heat rapidly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

This is not your usual gloopy tomato sauce. It's simple and refreshing.

Spaghetti
    Fresh vine tomatoes
    Good extra virgin olive oil
    Garlic
    Parsley
    Chili flakes
    Seasoning

Squeeze out water and seeds from the tomatoes if fresh. For tinned tomatoes, strain as much liquid off as possible.
    Sauté the garlic gently in a good glug of the oil.
    Add tomatoes, chopped parsley, seasoning and cooked pasta.
    Serve instantly garnished with more fresh parsley and chili flakes.

Thank you Rick Stein

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Totally forgot that you add roughly shredded fresh basil before serving this tomato dish :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭barbiedollz

hi all...
    does any 1 have or know where to get simple cooking recipies(healthy).
    ones that dont have all this fancy crap.
    thanks

Advertisement