Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easy Peasy Recipies

Options
  • 29-11-2005 3:57pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

we should have a sticky for quick and easy recipies

Tagetelli with Smoked Salmon

ingred:
    tagetelli
    smoked salmon
    pinch of nutmeg
    fresh cream

boil the tagetelli to taste

chop smoked salmon into small, thin slices

put fresh cream into pan, add the smoked salmon and pinch of nutmeg, heat slowly and do not bring to boil
    when the tagetelli is strained, drop sauce into the pasta, stir.
    ready in 15mins and damn tastey.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

True. Just moving into a new house so I could do with some more ideas.

Chicken Curry (ingredients sound odd but trust me its savage)

For 1 person
    1-2 Chicken Breast(s)
    1 Banana
    1 Apple
    1 carton of cream
    1 bag of rice.
    Curry Powder

Cook chicken and chop up. Put in pan with sliced banana and apple. Pour cream in. Add curry powder. Simmer for abt 10 minutes. Add Rice.
    =)
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 15 SJRT2

This is my fav quick recipe Its an all-in-one mixture and doesnt take long and hardly and washin up

3 eggs
    150 flour
    150 caster sugar
    150 margarine
    25 cocoa
    1 tsp baking powder

mix it all together with a mixer and divide into 2 sandwich tins
    and put into the oven for 25-35 mins at 180 degrees.
    great for any occassion esp birthdays
    quick and easy enjoy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Thai Curry

Put 1 onion roughly chopped, 3 cloves garlic, 1 teasp ginger, 1 teasp lemongrass and as much chilli as you like into a blender and blitz. Fry the paste in some oil in a hot wok for a few minutes, and then add 1 tin of coconul milk. Bring to the boil and turn down. After a while add meat of your choice (thinly sliced chicken breast, prawns etc) and let cook until the sauce thickens. Add 1-2 tblsps of fish sauce and some sugar and salt near the end to taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

Courgette bake:
    ingredients: courgette,butter,milk,flour/oil

slice courgette finely enough and fry in a little butter and olive oil for about 5mins or until it starts to brown nicely,

in a small saucepan melt a knob of butter, and reduce the heat then add a teaspoon of cream or plain flour and mix up to make a roux (sp) then very slowly add 1.5 cups of milk (stirring all the time so it doesnt go lumpy).... once it thikens into a nice white sauce add it to the courgette and bung it all in an over dish....

grate some cheddar cheese on top and stick it in the over for 20 mins or so on a high temp so it goes nice and golden on top...

its very nice as both a side dish or a main....
    =========================================================

Potato Gratin:
    Ingredients: Spuds, garlic, cream, milk, butter

get a decent size oven dish and grease the bottom with a small bit of butter, then chop/mash/crush th garlic and spread over the bottom of the dish,

peel and finely slice the spuds (the finer the better so u dont need to precook) and spread them in the dish... arrange the top layer to make it look nice.

in a bowl mix a small carton of cream with equal quantities of milk, whisk a small bit and pour over the potato's.

put a few flecks of butter over the top of the dish and stick in a hot oven for 30 mins or until its nice and golden on top.

again its smashin on its own or as i side.

enjoy
    SW

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Put pasta of choice onto cook. I reccomend conchigle to grab the peas.

While it is cooking, snip streaky bacon into hot pan. Crisp for a minute or two. Add some smashed garlic. Soften. Add créme fraiche. Add pack of frozen petis pois. When pasta is cooked, combine with some torn basil and parmesan.

If you're the type of person to keep some decent pesto about, try this incredibly easy and delicious version, common in Sicily. Stir pesto into cooked pasta with a good shake of ground almonds and LOADS of roughly chopped tomatoes and some extra parmesan.

Another favourite: Roughly chop some courgettes, peppers, onions, aubergines. Rub with olive oil, season, pop in hot oven.

Boil the kettle. Put cous cous in a bowl, add a good glug of olive oil, some seasoning, a tsp of turmeric, whatever herbs & spices & chili you like and stir. Pour over kettle, cover, and leave to stand. The veg should only take 45 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭RotalicaV

Phat recipie, Beruthiel.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Pasta, butter, garlic, parsley, tuna fish, black pepper. Boil pasta. Drain pasta and leave in strainer. Chuck butter, garlic, pepper, and chopped fresh parsley into pan. Stir until butter melts. Add flaked tuna and hot pasta. Mix, serve.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭boidey

Doesn't get easier than this.
    I vanilla pod (dirt cheap on ebay), Bag of sugar. Slice the vanilla pod along the side, then cut into pieces and then into a jar with the sugar.
    It goes with everything. porridge, coffee, baked fruit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

You need 3 bowls:

1. Flour
    2. Crushed Garlic & Melted Butter
    3. Breadcrumbs

Using tongs or something else, dip the mushrooms into each bowl one
    after another.
    The flour helps more butter stick and hence more breadcrumbs.

I stick them onto the 'George Foreman' until they're golden brown but
    you could probably grill em, bake em , fry em , eat em. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

one block philadelphia
    one oz caster sugar
    two hundred grams of the finest milk chocolate (i get mine from a chocolate shop in cork)
    one carton of cream (bout 170ml i think)
    bout 10 digestive biscuits and 2oz butter

crush biccies
    melt butter
    mix and press into a tin, refrigerate

melt choc with a tablespoon of cream, allow to cool but not to solidify
    whip remaining cream
    cream cheese with sugar
    add soft choc to cheese mix
    fold in cream
    put in tin
    put in fridge
    excersise self control
    enjoy cheesecake a few hours later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

Pasta Bake:

Pasta, Pasta Sauce, Chicken, Veg, Cheese and Breadcrumbs.

Cook the pasta.

Fry the Chicken and Assorted Veg together.

Put them together in a baking dish, add pasta sauce, grated cheese and breadcrumbs to the top and bake for about 15 minutes, or until the cheese melts and the breadcrumbs turn golden brown.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

Chop an onion and couple of carrots ( fairly chunky )

Fry onion in a bigish stew pot
    Throw in a pack of stewing beef ( not Tescos - it's horroble!! )
    Fry until brown on a med - high heat
    Boil the kettle.....
    Chuck in Baby Potatoes - no need for peeling;)
    And the carrot
    Pour on boiling water - just enough to cover - season
    Turn the gas/hob to its lowest possible setting
    Walk away - about 1 - 1 1/2 hours later....Enjoy a tender yummy stew
    (might need to check seasoning)

OR a step further....

Defrost a pack of ready to roll shortcrust pastry
    lightly butter a cassorole dish & line the bottom with pastry
    Put stew into this and cover with pastry sticking edges with water ( I go for the "rustic" look here ie.not perfection !!!:eek: )
    Cook @ 180oc for approx 30 mins - till pastry is golden

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Nice and simple, and tasty too. I just discovered how to make egg fried rice this weekend and it was scrumptious.

You will need: Rice (boil in the bag or any other kind), 1 egg, some oil, sweetcorn and peas (optional but adds a bit of colour and flavour) and some salt.

First, boil the rice and then leave it to cool down. If you're in no hurry then put it in the fridge for an hour or so. Otherwise put it in a pot of cold water for about 5 minutes and it should be grand. Drain and put it to one side. While the rice is cooking, heat (boil or microwave) the peas and sweetcorn.

In a cup, pour some oil (I used a kind of garlic stir fry oil), about a table spoon or so should do. Add in a pinch of salt and crack in the egg. Mix this up with a fork until it's nicely blended.

Now take your wok (or frying pan I guess) and heat some oil over a high heat. When the oil is boiling add in the cold rice and the sweetcorn and peas. Stir it around for a few minutes until the rice is hot again. Then pour in the egg mixture to one side of the wok. Give it a few seconds till the egg starts to set, then mix it all around in the rice. Keep stirring over the high heat for another two or three minutes and you're done. Perfect egg fried rice in 20 minutes. Not as quick as the Uncle Ben's microwavable cack, but a hell of a lot nicer.

One egg should be enough for two people, though if you really like egg you might want to add another. Alternate the peas/sweetcorn with just about any other veg to suit your own taste, or whatever's in the fridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Mairin

cut a chicken breast down the centre and fold out into a butterfly shape . cover in clingfilm and roll out until flat and thin. Fry for about a 2 minutes both sides. leave to one side.

in the same pan heat 2 tbsp creme fraiche and 1 tbsp mustard per chicken breast, when bubbling add the chicken to coat. serve on noodles with broccoli.

Yummy, and I don't usually like mustard.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,681 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

PIZZA
    make about four of the small size they give you in a restaurant (havent a clue off hand)

450g flour
    200ml water
    teaspoon of thyme or basil or any other nice herb
    bit of salt

mix dry ingredients, add water, should bind into a stretchy dough, cut into four balls, try to roll/stretch out thin,
    i found toasting quickly on a hot floured frying pan helped them to stay where i wanted when topping them

can chopped tomatoes
    garlic
    small onion
    chilli
    various herbs
    black pepper
    fry onions garlic and chilli, lob int he rest, simmer and hey presto you have sauce

spread sauce on the base, top with your fav toppings mmm peperoni ham and onion, and then smother with mozzeralla AND cheddar (mozzeralla gives stretchy cheese and cheeder goes a nice brown colour)

lob in to a hot oven for fiftenn mins or so until you like thecolour of the cheese

enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Quick Risotto

Usually I start off with a vegetarian mix which is simple enough .

1 Onion
    1 clove of Garlic
    1-2 peppers
    Stock Vegetable/Chicken
    1-2 cups of Rice -Long Grain/Brown
    Salt and pepper
    Oregano and Basil
    1-2 Bay leaves

Chop up onion and garlic and fry in saucepan. Add pepper.
    Add in salt, pepper, herbs and stock. Add rice. Cook for 15-25 (depending on type of rice) minutes or until reduced. Enjoy

Variations

Carrots, peas (I like them myself) and any other veg you might fancy-although would pass on lentils as they get too mushy too quickly :p .

Chicken

Add this with the vegetables

Tuna(which is interesting).

Add it after the liquid has been added.

If using these two then use chicken stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I've put this one up before but it was pre recipes forum, so here goes again.

Ingred:
    Pasta, preferably spaghetti.
    Fresh or dried chilis, fresh are better.
    Lots of garlic, I normally chop about a whole medium bulb.
    Good olive oil
    parmesan
    Fresh chopped parsley.
    Good fresh crusty bread, I find the self baked lidl or aldi rolls nice for this.

boil the pasta and drain when al dente.
    Chop the garlic and the chili and add to about a cup of olive oil in the pan and fry gently for a little while, dont let the garlic get crispy, just cooked.
    Throw in the drained pasta and toss that for a minute in the oil, garlic and chili mix.
    Portion it out onto plates pouring the oil over too then put lots of parmesan and parsley on top.
    Eat with the bread, using the bread to mop up the tasty oil.

Champion and an Italian classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

I love that recipe; sometimes I throw some chicken livers into it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

I find that one of my easy-peasy essentials is a hand blender that fits straight into the pot so I can boil up anything I want and make a soup within minutes.
    The latest soup that I made was a leek and sweet potato soup with sausages.
    Basically I put some olive oil in the pot then added chopped leaks until they melted down then added 3-4 potatoes chopped and 3-4 sweet potatoes chopped then added 2 pints of M&S stock.
    In the meantime I sliced and fried up a load of Hicks Moroccan Merguez sausages, you can get them in temple bar. When the soup was almost cooked I popped the blender in and blitzed then added the sausage meat and put a lid on and simmered for a few minutes, it was very nice.
    Once you have one of these blenders and some stock you can make up a soup with literally anything that you have there that is going off or ready to be thrown out.
    I sometimes like adding wholemeal bread before the blitz for a bit of thickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Carbonara for one:

One chicken breast, coated with a little olive oil, thrown in the oven at 180c for 25 mins.
    Grate some parmesan and combine with two eggs in a jug, ready to pour for later.
    About 15 mins later, start heating some cream in a pot and put on the pasta. About 5 minutes later, throw some pre-sliced bacon pieces (available in M&S and other places, I'd bet) into a frying pan for about 6 mins, until cooked as desired. Alternatively you could do streaky bacon and cut it up - but this'll add to the mayhem in a few minutes, as it all gets rather frenzied... :)

Take out the chicken. Dice it quickly. Drain the pasta and return to the warm pot. Add the eggs and parmesan and mix. Then add the *heated* cream and continue to mix. Finally, throw the bacon in for one final mix. Serve immediately.

Mmm.

If cooking it for two, add another chicken breast and another egg - three eggs for two is plenty.

Frenzied, fun, fast and frickin tasty - the way food oughta be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

For tippy-top potato gratin - add nutmeg.
    Deeeee-lish.

Perfect Basmati Rice..

1/2 cup pp.
    Wash the rice well - until the water goes clear.
    Then fill the pot until the water level is 1 inch over the TOP of the rice.
    Which is roughly to your first knuckle on your index finger.
    Cover and bring to the boil.
    When it starts to bubble, take the lid off and evaporate
    the water until you see 'holes' in the rice.
    Make sure it does not go completely dry!!!!!!
    Then turn the hob down to the lowest setting, put a sheet
    of kitchen paper over the pot and secure it with a tightly
    fitting lid.
    Leave this for about 10 mins.
    And voila! perfect fluffy basmati!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Alternative Egg Fried Rice Recipe (for 2 -4 depending on whether eating as a side or as a full meal):

Ingredients:
    1 Onion
    1 Red Pepper
    2 Eggs
    Rice
    Soy Sauce
    Sesame Oil

Put Rice on to boil

Add small amount of oil to wok and set on ring to heat up.

Beat two eggs and add to wok to make an omelette. Remove this and set aside.

Dice the onion and pepper while waiting for the rice. You can also dice the omelette at this juncture.

When the rice is cooked (leave it a little bit firm), drain it, add cold water to the pan and drain again. Repeat until rice is cold (this also removes some of the starch making the recipe healthier).

Add a drop of oil to the wok and throw in the onion and pepper with a dash of soy sauce. When these begin to brown start adding the rice handful at a time while stirring and adding soy sauce and sesame oil to taste. Stir fry for a couple of minutes before adding the diced omelette and after another minute or two, serve.

You can make a more substantial meal out of this by throwing in a thinly sliced chicken breast per person (brown before throwing in the pepper and onion). You'll never order fried rice from a take-away again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 458 ✭✭d-arke

This is my fav and its so simple.

Boild some pasta, once boiled, drain and place back in the pot. Add a clump of butter/margarine (sorry, no good with measurements) say about twice as much as what you woud put on a slice of toast. Let it melt over all the pasta whilst on the cooker stiring quickly as the pasta will stick to the pot.

Once melted add in Plenty of grated cheese (with chopped onion/garlic as an extra option), and allow it to melt through the pasta.

Easy peasy, jack and squesey!!!

Enjoy!

PS. I wouldn't recommend eaten this too often!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

A hearty German dinner for 4...

Ingredients
    4 large pork steaks (or pork chops with as much fat removed as possible)
    2 onions, sliced thinly
    Olive oil
    Butter
    Dijon mustard (or a German senf if you can get it)
    1 beef stock cube

Preparation
    Cover each pork steak/chop in cling film & flatten with a rolling pin to approx 1 centimetre.
    Grill the pork steaks well – around 8 to 12 mins depending on size.
    When the steaks are ready, put in a warmed oven until ready to serve.
    In a hot pan heat 1 tbsp of olive oil & a knob of butter.
    Fry the onions on a high heat until the onions turn colour.
    Add salt & pepper to taste, crumble in the beef stock cubes & stir through the onions.
    Top up with boiling water until the onions are almost covered.
    Allow the gravy to boil away & reduce down by a half.
    To serve liberally spread Dijon mustard on each steak, top with the onion gravy so each steak is covered.
    Serve with a mound of mashed potatoes on the side.
    A bottle of pils or weissbier washes it down nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭lasair

here is my fav and goes down a treat at home...

Beehive Flapjacks...

usually makes 12-14

Ingredients:

200g Butter
    200g Demerara Sugar (brown sugar)
    200g Honey
    400g Porridge Oats
    50g nuts, fruit (optional)

Method:

1. Put butter, sugar and honey in a saucepan and heat, be sure to stir. The buttter should melt and the sugar dissolve to a creamy mixture.
    2. Add the oats, fuirt and nuts, mix well.
    3. Grease cake tin or baking tin and add mixture. Spread so its about 2cm thick, and smooth out.
    4. Bake in oven at 180'C for 15-20 mins. atthis poin it should be golden on the edges and soft on the middle.
    5. Allow to cool and then cut out into squares.

if you want to cover the top in chocloate just melt some and pour over when the flapjacks are cooled..

these are great to stop kids from eating chocolate and are healthy too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Ingredients:

1 Onion
    1 clove of garlic
    1 stick of lemon grass
    1 tin of coconut milk
    1.5ltrs water
    1 chicken bullion (like chicken stock)
    2 tablespoons of madras curry paste
    1 tablespoon of sugar
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon fish sauce
    4 small chicken breasts
    Noodles (to taste).

Method:
    1. Fry off finely chopped onion, garlic and whole lemon grass stick.
    2. Add coconut milk, water and bullion, bring to boil.
    3. In a separate bowl, mix curry paste, soy sauce, fish sauce and sugar.
    4. Add above mixture to pot, simmer for 10 mins then remove whole lemon grass.
    5. Add cooked diced chicken, bring back to boil/simmer.
    6. At the last minute add cooked, cut noodles and serve

Serve with a crusty bread roll.

Serves 4. Will keep for a couple of days in the fridge (don't add the noodles until serving though)

It's a hot and spicy soup, especially good on a winters day

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Had some bream last night...here's what I did:

Whole fish, sliced open, stuffed with sage, lemon-thyme, garlic, salt and lime-juice.

Bung on BBQ for about 4 mins each side.

Serve.

Sometimes, its damned hard to beat simplicity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Derek B

Beruthiel wrote:
    Tagetelli with Smoked Salmon

ingred:
    tagetelli
    smoked salmon
    pinch of nutmeg
    fresh cream

boil the tagetelli to taste

chop smoked salmon into small, thin slices

put fresh cream into pan, add the smoked salmon and pinch of nutmeg, heat slowly and do not bring to boil
    when the tagetelli is strained, drop sauce into the pasta, stir.
    ready in 15mins and damn tastey.

I tried this last night and it worked out nicely. Cheers, I'll be adding that to my (miniscule) cooking repertoire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 DrP

Apologies in advance to those of you who have a problem with eating veal. Maybe try it out with some chicken fillet or pork fillet instead.

I'd serve this one with new potatoes, rice or chips

Veal stuffed peppers
    Serves- 2

2 red peppers
    2 veal escallops
    4tblsp crème fraiche
    6 sun-dried tomatoes (the ones in oil like you get in the market)
    ~16 button mushrooms
    2tbls oil from the sun-dried tomatoes or olive oil
    Salt and pepper to season

Preheat oven to 225oC.
    Line a baking tin with baking parchment.
    Half the peppers and deseed them.
    Half the veal escallops and place a piece of veal into each pepper.
    Season with salt
    Chop the tomatoes and mix with the crème fraiche. Season with salt and pepper and divide between the peppers, covering the veal.
    Clean and halt the mushrooms, toss in the oil, and arrange on top of the crème fraiche mix (drizzling with any left over oil)
    Bake for 25mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Fried whiting fillets.

Sprinkle some flour, black pepper and salt on a piece of newspaper or worksurface. Coat whiting fillets liberally on each side with this mixture. Boil some baby potatoes. Fry the fillets for 2-3 mins on each side, with an equal mixture of butter and olive oil, in a hot frying pan.

When the baby potatoes are done, drain them. Put a knob of butter and some rosemary in the saucepan with the spuds and swirl everything around for a few seconds. Squirt some lemon juice on the fish. Serve with steamed brocolli.

Advertisement