Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

the developer is danninger or aka zoe developments. the estate agents are hooke and macdonald.

Also known as Hooke & Crook!

Would edit my post and take down my email address if I were you Armaghman

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

clodo wrote:
    Sounds very suspect. Are they offering any money for your displacement. I think they have someone in mind for your apartment who will pay extra or they have given it to some one else. That happened to my sister when she bought her house out in Sandyford a couple of years ago. I would not move. There is more to this then what is being told to you.

agree with clodo, this is VERY suspect. but like all things its usually about money and gauging the madness going on in the market (have seen fools on the first viewing offering 100k over the guide price) someone has probably come along and said they really want that particaular apt and have made the builder an offer he cant refuse. hence ur getting offered a (i assume) fully furnished apt instead. u could turn a good deal for yourself here so i wouldnt write it off completely. perhaps get them to throw in an extra parking space for free (worth 30k) if u do move.

what are the main differences between your current apt and the one they are offering u? ie what floor, size, aspect, price etc...

just curious about what could be making someone want urs so much....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 red19

thanks guys. Keep me posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 armaghman23

Thanks for your replies
    took down my eamil address too, new to this thing
    I
    I was out today at the apartments before i went to work, i had a meeting with the estate agent at hooke and macdonald. He didnt show but he had the site manager come and show me around the show apartment. They propose to let me have it at no extra cost with all the fixtures,i.e laminate floor and fridge dish washer, washing machine etc. I dont like the show apartment one little bit, dont like the fit out, or shape of the apartment, although it is bigger than mine by 50sqft. it is a horrible shape and I told them to forget about it. When i rang the estate agent to tell him this he tried to convince me that if they were to put the show aptment on the mkt it would be going on at 650k. If thats the case il do mine up nicer than the show house and let it on the market.

I told them to forget it, im going to let my solicitor at them. They still wont say why they cant close on the deal. I was out at my apartment and had a look around after i finished up in the show apt. it was finished to perfection, no structural faults etc. ready to fit out as now. I will let the solicitor find out whats going on. I would only move apartments if they offer me lots of cash plus another 3 bedroom apartment. Il will just sit tight for now because it is obviously important to them that i take another apartment. Why else would they offer me the show apt?

The worst they can do is not close for 24months as stated in the contract, I dont mind this because il just end up getting a free punt on the property market if they push this agenda.

Il keep you posted.

ps candyman

there is damm all different about mine, its a fifth floor, kinda pent house, it has in my opinion a very nice layout, a long hall with the 3 bedrooms and living room kitchen and balcony all at the front of the apt, 2 large storage areas, ensuite in master bedroom and balcony too. the two other rooms are largish, with fitted wardrobes,roomy but tackily fitted out bathroom at the bottom of the hall., il be making my own modifications if i get to move in. As far as i know its nothing special, perhaps clodo is right in that someone with mega money made an outrageous offer for it, or they could have sold it twice by accident but i doubt tht because they sent me threatining letters to hurry up and sign the contracts before xmas, surely if there was another buyer they woould have just gazumped me there and then. My solicitor says that ive got an airtight contract and they must give me the apt if i insist. I know that no one else in that block has moved in yet or closed from the site managers info. I was thinking mabye soe large company is wanting to buy out a block for company directors etc, say like pwc who are only up the road, i have heard about deutsche bank doing this for their top staff in london?probably not though in this circumstance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

You do realise thay can just decide not to sell to you and give you nothing in return? It is legal and you have no option afterwards.

It sounds a bit odd but not amazingly so.

I would suggest be firm but polite, they are probably asking all people with the sam layout as you the same thing. I would suggest asking for remodling work on the place they want to give you and look for too much to be done. You could get the other place perfect and free stuff to boot

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 armaghman23

christ almighty

cant believe that, surely they must perform their duties as outlined in the contract? Have you had experience of this or know anyone that this has happend to inthe past?

ah well if that is the case then im ****ed completely. I have not had any more news as yet, the solicitor is on the case. I will mention this though and ask their opinion.

thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭u2gooner

Thanks for your replies
    took down my eamil address too, new to this thing
    Your email is still up ! After you sign in, click edit on your post with the email address in it. Delete it from there and you'll be sorted. Probably not an issue but you never know who might wanna look back through your posts later on !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Slutboy wrote:
    I probably wouldn't take the shortest route through Fairview park in the dark evenings, but in the summer that route would probably be fine. In the winter she'd be better off walking down along Fairview Strand, which is pretty busy that time of the day with people walking heom from town. Then from Annessley Bridge along East Wall road there's always people about, especially after work with people coming from East Point business park. Honestly, I don't think she'll have a problem.
    Sorry but I'd have disagree with this. I've been working in East Point for 4 years and the area is a bit dodge to be walking around after dark - I know I wouldn't feel safe if it was me. Fairview Strand clears after a while and it's a bit spooky walking by the park! If possible you should meet her at the station and walk her back. Also Nolans is a bit hit and miss, sometimes you can get baragins and other times its like a the local shop from the League of Gentlemen - if you have a car and don't want to head over to Tescos in Artane keep driving on to Superquinns in Sutton. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 78,252 ✭✭✭✭Victor

il be making my own modifications if i get to move in.
    You may be prohibited from doing this by the purchase agreement.
    My solicitor says that ive got an airtight contract and they must give me the apt if i insist.
    What if there is a fundamental problem? Dodgy foundations? Incorrect title on the site? Planning permission error? I would look into all of these before I would feel so self-assured.
    I know that no one else in that block has moved in yet or closed from the site managers info. I was thinking mabye soe large company is wanting to buy out a block for company directors etc, say like pwc who are only up the road, i have heard about deutsche bank doing this for their top staff in london?probably not though in this circumstance
    I'm guessing your neighbour wants a double-sized apartment or privacy or you have been sold the wrong apartment or they are going for a new planning permission to increase height.

Do not give up this property until you have a contract for another.

I would also suggest you go to a separate solicitor to make sure the contract is water-tight.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

tk123 wrote:
    Sorry but I'd have disagree with this. I've been working in East Point for 4 years and the area is a bit dodge to be walking around after dark - I know I wouldn't feel safe if it was me. Fairview Strand clears after a while and it's a bit spooky walking by the park! If possible you should meet her at the station and walk her back. Also Nolans is a bit hit and miss, sometimes you can get baragins and other times its like a the local shop from the League of Gentlemen - if you have a car and don't want to head over to Tescos in Artane keep driving on to Superquinns in Sutton. ;)

That's fair enough. I don't walk that route on a regular basis so I bow to your first hand knowledge. I shall have to restate my preference for Nolans though ;) . My choice is usually between Tescos in Drumcondra or Nolans and Nolans wins hands down every time. I fcuking hate Tescos in Drumcondra!

Some real good news for those moving into the Lighthouse Apts. Don't worry if you haven't got your kitchen fitted out straight away, cos the Bombay Pantry is opening at the bottom of Philipsburgh Ave, where Apache Pizza used to be. It's their first northside outlet and it's just about the best Indian grub I've ever tasted. It's takeaway only, no sitdown. As good as, if not better than, any of the decent Indians in town and also beats most of the grub I had in India last year..!! Think they're opening in the next week or so, if not already. I can't bloody wait...!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

I drove down past the Lighthouse Apartments yesterday for the first time in a few weeks. I was only able to look at them from the road so it is hard to tell how they are progressing on the inside, but the grounds and carparks seem some way away from completion. Maybe it'll be like Groundforce when it all comes together in the last few minutes of the show. :D

The good news for me was that they have started putting on the timber finish on the side wall of my apartment, and it looks quite smart :) I also like the metal railings that are around the balcony's on the LH1 apartments - hope the do similar on LH2.

Has anyone had an updates of when snagging, etc is going to take place?

I managed to get in to see my apartment by sweet talking the builders... it is in lighthouse 2 3rd floor. The finish is pretty good, but I was shocked at how small the living space is (I only had overall dimensions) - it doesn't appear to be to scale at all. It makes me wonder was the square footage inclusive of the balcony space!? Balcony on mine was yet to be done. Bedrooms were a nice size. Kitchen units are nice, but were placed on the side of the kitchen area, rather than centred.

I managed to get in to see my apartment by sweet talking the builders... it is in lighthouse 2 3rd floor. The finish is pretty good, but I was shocked at how small the living space is (I only had overall dimensions) - it doesn't appear to be to scale at all. It makes me wonder was the square footage inclusive of the balcony space!? Balcony on mine was yet to be done. Bedrooms were a nice size. Kitchen units are nice, but were placed on the side of the kitchen area, rather than centred. Builder told me it would be May or so before they will be ready for snagging

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

red19 wrote:
    It makes me wonder was the square footage inclusive of the balcony space!?

That's the nail on the head right there.. Apartment sizes include the balcony space. It's yet another way Estate Agents like to mislead us..

K.

That's the nail on the head right there.. Apartment sizes include the balcony space. It's yet another way Estate Agents like to mislead us..

K.

maybe so but for the Lighthouse 1 complex I do remember reading apt size = x sq. ft and balcony size = y sq. ft. I think it was listed in the sheet you get when you first look at whats available. It lists all apt nos. and repective sizes and floors etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 frankdrebin

Hey

I am pretty sure that the overall dimensions are EXclusive of balcony space. When I purchased my one bed in LH2, it was one of the questions I asked the estate agent. My balcony is 200 sq foot and if it was included in the overall square footage, it would mean an apartment size of 300 sq foot, which is unlikely. I hope!

The estate agents have been pretty ok with me to date so I cannot imagine why they would not clear this matter up for you.

Thanks for the updates btw - keep them coming.

Anyone know anything about the situation with digital tv? I fear it may be hooked up for NTL only due to the fact that no satellite dishes (and therfore, no SKY) are permitted.

Currently have NTL but its pants in comparison to SKY!

Anyone know anything about the situation with digital tv? I fear it may be hooked up for NTL only due to the fact that no satellite dishes (and therfore, no SKY) are permitted. Currently have NTL but its pants in comparison to SKY!
    So apartment developments will have a single central stellite dish with a distribution coming of that.

Alternatively can you fit a small dish inside the apartment? :D
    My balcony is 200 sq foot and if it was included in the overall square footage, it would mean an apartment size of 300 sq foot, which is unlikely. I hope!
    Do you mean your apartment is 100 square feet or square metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 clodo

candyman wrote:
    maybe so but for the Lighthouse 1 complex I do remember reading apt size = x sq. ft and balcony size = y sq. ft. I think it was listed in the sheet you get when you first look at whats available. It lists all apt nos. and repective sizes and floors etc....

I agree with candyman. Our apartment sq footage was separate from the balcony sq footage. It was on that sheet candyman mentioned and is in our contract

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

Victor wrote:
    So apartment developments will have a single central stellite dish with a distribution coming of that.

Alternatively can you fit a small dish inside the apartment? :D

Do you mean your apartment is 100 square feet or square metres.

Getting Sky in is a MUST for me!! I even checked the direction that surrounding dishes are pointing to ensure i could put a dish on the balcony if required - and i can :D . If there is a central dish then great, but please please please DO NOT let them impose NTL (Numpties Telling Lies) on us!! :mad: The amount of grief I have endured over the years from them beggars belief.

I still have the list of sq ft's by apartment if anyone needs this.

• Advertisement

Begs wrote:
    Getting Sky in is a MUST for me!! I even checked the direction that surrounding dishes are pointing to ensure i could put a dish on the balcony if required - and i can :D . If there is a central dish then great, but please please please DO NOT let them impose NTL (Numpties Telling Lies) on us!! :mad: The amount of grief I have endured over the years from them beggars belief.

I still have the list of sq ft's by apartment if anyone needs this.

There are NTL tv points installed in the apartments. Not only is this the "wired for satellite tv" they mention in the apartments specs but I reckon this could also be the "wired for high speed broadband access" aswell.
    I doubt there is any "central satellite dish" considering its cabled NTL in all the apartments.

If a satellite dish is erected on your balcony for example, does this not constitute a breakage of contract?

Interesting nobody has a good thing to say about NTL. But that's for another thread.

My g/f checked with the agent today regarding the sq footage. Balcony space is not included in the apartment space. So relax everybody!

City centre apartments are small by nature so we just have to get used to it. In my opinion, it beats living in Kildare or Meath - for the sake of a few extra sq feet in your living area...

candyman wrote:
    There are NTL tv points installed in the apartments. Not only is this the "wired for satellite tv" they mention in the apartments specs but I reckon this could also be the "wired for high speed broadband access" aswell.
    I doubt there is any "central satellite dish" considering its cabled NTL in all the apartments.

Yeah - you are right there about the broadband. I currently have broadband as well as cable with NTL and it just requires a cable modem from the output box on the wall. The standard package is 35 euro per month (speed 1 mg up 256 down, contention ratio 40:1).

If a satellite dish is erected on your balcony for example, does this not constitute a breakage of contract?
    There may be rules of behavior as to what you can / can't have on your balcony, e.g. laundry.

candyman wrote:

Candyman is right I was in our apt the other day The place is wired for NTL through there box. There is a phone line connection beside the NTL box. The place is finished very well. There is a good job done here.
    ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 plasterer

john05 wrote:
    Thinking about buying an apartment down in East wall. They wont be built for another year but the usual carry on of deposits are being taken now. I dont know a terrible amount about the area so I need to do some homework but i dive in. Anyone got some pros/cons or tips/advice on the area.

Cheers
    good up and coming area go for it you cant lose

i believe they (i.e the builders) are pre-snagging all the apartments before they hand over to the client to eliminate long snagging times. can anyone that has already snagged (clodo maybe?) verify if there is actually much wrong with the place and could you estimate how long it would take from the point of first snagging to actually getting the keys?

Candyman- We got a surveyor in to snag our apartment in January we hope to be in the apartment in March. Our surveyor was extremely detailed in his report, well earned his money. We had ninety points on the shag mostly paint scuffs that were fixed on the re-sang. They did need to replace some items! The finish is good and the kitchen is nice. We have electrical storage heaters which I am not mad about, as they are ugly big things but there is nothing that can be done about that.

clodo - what floor are u on in LH1? im not sure but i think they may be snagging floor by floor. im on the 3rd and havent heard a word on snagging as of yet.

good to hear they are looking well! :D

• Advertisement

candyman - i am on the fifth floor. one of the foreman said that thay are wrapping up soon on the third floor. we wont be in untill mid-end of march after st patricks day at least. Great view of the area!

Advertisement