Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

I assume Aldi will coincide the opening of the new shop opposite the Lighthouse site with the occupation of the first block of apartments. People are gonna have to buy the house-warming party supplies somewhere :) .

There's no doubt the building site is an inconvenience for those moving in and also for those in East Wall using Church road every day. I don't even bother using it now cos it's conjested along the length of the street. The best way out of East Wall now is up West Road.

Best of luck to all of you moving in, it'll be good to see the population of the area increase and maybe then we might see some more amenities being built to serve the people of the area. A decent cafe/restaurant is badly needed, perhaps one of the commercial sites in the Lighthouse would be suitable...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 frankdrebin

Oh from reading this thread, I thought the Aldi planning application had been declined. In any case, I am not sure if I could handle the dodgy cheap beer in that place.

The shop you are referring to - is that the renovated petrol station across the road?

The agent who sold the apartment to me mentioned that applications from Spar and some coffee shop chain had been submitted for the commercial units. Maybe the lack of amenities problem is getting solved. I can see the Sunday morning cappucino and Sunday Times becoming a reality!

Yeah, I think it was declined because of a problem with the apartment developement they had planned with the shop. But I was away for a few weeks before Xmas and came back to see a big billboard announcing that Aldi was on it's way, so I'm assuming the planning problems have been solved. Only an assumption though. Think they're building on the old Tucks Fasteners site, oppostite Church Road junction. Not sure if they're incorporating the petrol station too.

If you're in your apartment before Aldi opens and are looking for somewhere to buy yer grub, Nolans on Vernon Ave in Clontarf is great if you have a car to get to it. Can't recommend it highly enough, prices are lower than Tesco and, shock horror, the staff are friendly and helpful!!

Oh thats good news about Aldi. Literally a stones throw away.

Thanks for the advice about Nolans because I do have car.

Slutboy - I cannot remember if you have bought an apartment in the Lighthouse too?

No, bought a house on Caledon Road in East Wall last year. We'll be in a year in March. Loving it too.

• Advertisement

Good for you pal. And its encouraging that you like it!

In your opinion, is it safe to walk home from the DART (Clontarf, I assume is nearest) in the dark evenings? My g/f will have to do it and I suppose that has been one of our concerns.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

Hey

Thanks for that - its good to hear they are coming along.

Candyman... I bought a one bedroom (500sq foot plus 200sq foot terrace). It cost 285k - I didnt think it was too bad when you look at the same across the river! What about yourself?

Clodo... Good job getting your snagging done. What is the finished apartment like? I assume that they are all furnished the same inside due to the no change policy so fill me in! Any pictures?

I agree with the building site comment BIG TIME. The two commercial units havent even been started yet! But hopefully the residential areas will be landscaped sooner rather than later.

I got a 2 bed on the 3rd floor for 350k including a parking spot. It certainly sounds like decent value compared to some of the same going up in ringsend. I could see the same madness happening in East Wall but not until they do up the area a bit more and get the luas track running down through it.

Wonder how much phase 2 are going for and if they are all sold out yet? Spoke to the builders about the commercial element - they estimate end of 2007 before its fully done so get used to it being a mess i'd say...

I probably wouldn't take the shortest route through Fairview park in the dark evenings, but in the summer that route would probably be fine. In the winter she'd be better off walking down along Fairview Strand, which is pretty busy that time of the day with people walking heom from town. Then from Annessley Bridge along East Wall road there's always people about, especially after work with people coming from East Point business park. Honestly, I don't think she'll have a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 clodo

To do with the Aldi thing. Living in Bayside at the moment. Aldi was supposed to open at Howth Junction Dart station, Handy for transport, but it was objected to because it was not a retail area, there are no other shops around it and local businesses and residents objected. So Aldi may not be coming if there are people against it. Wouldn't mind Aldi. Would bring more jobs to the area and would be very handy. You cant get all your shopping there so I don't think Spar have anything to worry about, Spar has more verity and has longer opening hours, for those last minute items. It all works out.

Was over at The Lighthouse again today. Saw the sign for the arrival of ALDI which is opposite the development on East Wall Road as opposed to Church Road. Eitherways, its going to be really handy.

Any more snagging updates? Is it looking good inside?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Just to point out Marino Mart has most things you would want from a big shop. Butchers, Fish Mongers and fruit and veg. When you really look at prices they tend to be cheaper and better quality. Proccessed food being linked to mental health today even suggests eating fresh foods maybe a lot better for you than thought.

Was over at The Lighthouse again today. Saw the sign for the arrival of ALDI which is opposite the development on East Wall Road as opposed to Church Road. Eitherways, its going to be really handy.

Any more snagging updates? Is it looking good inside?

No sorry cant really tell you what it looks like inside. Got someone in to do the snag for me. Haven't gone in to see it yet! When I go into see the progress of the snag i will let you know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Did anybody notice that the very road people are going to be living on there was an attempted car jacking. They also tried to abduct the woman involved after they got the car. Only conslataion is they weren't locals.

Scarey none the less

http://www.rte.ie/news/2006/0117/eastwall.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Vivienne

Hey, I've heard Nolan's mentioned a few times...does anyone know what their opening hours are? And does anyone have an idea when Aldi expect to open? I've had too many bad experiences with Tescos to go back....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Dubhelp

You are all lucky...The best place in Dublin is that walk along Clontarf etc..Southside now sucks, is Dublin about tot see its biggest shift ever with the northside now finally taking over?

All our tradesmen from the Northside are sound!!!

Vivienne wrote:
    Hey, I've heard Nolan's mentioned a few times...does anyone know what their opening hours are? And does anyone have an idea when Aldi expect to open? I've had too many bad experiences with Tescos to go back....

Think Nolan's is open 9am-6pm Mon-Fri except Thurs when they're open til 9pm. Thurs evening is the best time to go, it's pretty quiet then. Sat is also 9am-6pm I think. You might want to check that out, they could be open til 7pm sometimes. Sat afternoon is the one time to avoid, it's chaos. Think they're closed on Sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Living in the area for the last 3 years. Very happy I bought there. Fantastic road, fantastic people, fantastic location. Couldn't be happier really.

Until......the rubbish dumping started and I started to think again. People are dumping their rubbish instead of paying 2.50 per bag. In some cases they are burning the rubbish. I heard that not paying waste charges is common in this area.

I think if people in the area are dumping their rubbish on their own neighbours then it speaks volumes about the people living there. I dont believe it is people from outside the area coming in, dumping their rubbish and then leaving. Only scum dump rubbish on or near where they live. Animals clean out their nests and keep their "patch" clean. It seems some people, admittedly a minority, in east wall cant do that. I travel around dublin a lot with my job and I dont see it in your typical middle class areas and most working class areas. It makes me sick. You can see there is an element of "the state owes me" in this area which I dont like.

I'm looking to move elsewhere as a result. Sorry, I did balance this post with lots of positives at the start which still stand, but the rubbish dumping is the kicker for me and says more about the area than anything else mentioned on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Begs

Hey

All great stuff in this thread that has really gave me a good insight to the area.

I bought (with chick) in Lighthouse 2. The agent said it would be ready in Spring 06 but the solicitors have recently said summer 06.

Had a look around last wkd and Lighthouse 1 appears to be nearly ready and Lighthouse 2 is not that far behind.

Can anyone shed any light onto this?

Thanks

Hi,

I've bought a 2 bed in Lighthouse 2 so when I read your post I contacted SherryFitz. Angela (the agent who takes the deposits, etc) said that it is still on schedule for completion by April?! So unless she hasn't been kept updated or something I am still hoping to be in sometime in April.

As you say LH2 looks as though it is nearing completion. I passed it the other day and the patio door of my apartment was open so I hope someone was in working away :) - well I hope it wasn't just lying open :eek: !

If I hear anymore I'll post it here.

Begs wrote:
    I've bought a 2 bed in Lighthouse 2

did u get a two or a one bed? go on and splash the details there Begs...
    :D

Its a 2 bed on the 3rd floor - 850 sq.ft. plus another 200 sq.ft. of a balcony/terrace (as per candyman). It was 380k - ouch, I know!! Fingers crossed the area maintains it upward reputation, mind you I'm from the north so my standards should be easily met!!

You said you had a 2 bed in LH1 - any idea of a move in/snag date yet? I'd love to get a chance to have a look around if at all possible - just to get an idea of what is in store for me.

• Advertisement

Until......the rubbish dumping started and I started to think again. People are dumping their rubbish instead of paying 2.50 per bag. In some cases they are burning the rubbish. I heard that not paying waste charges is common in this area.

Gimp, that's pretty fcuking dreadful :mad: . Where about's you living? I'm on Caledon Road but haven't seen anything like that near us. Really hope I don't either. Good luck to you.

Begs wrote:
    Its a 2 bed on the 3rd floor - 850 sq.ft. plus another 200 sq.ft. of a balcony/terrace (as per candyman). It was 380k - ouch, I know!! Fingers crossed the area maintains it upward reputation, mind you I'm from the north so my standards should be easily met!!

You said you had a 2 bed in LH1 - any idea of a move in/snag date yet? I'd love to get a chance to have a look around if at all possible - just to get an idea of what is in store for me.

rumours of snagging end of this month/start of feb..

does that 380 include a parking spot Begs? im on the 3rd floor in LH1, right beside the gafs with the big ass terraces! :rolleyes:

I wish it included the parking! Its another 25k for that, ker-ching :(

Its the 'big ass' balcony that attracted me to this apartment. And I reckon if i got a job in the office block next to me I could jump across into my desk in the morning!!

Good luck with the snagging, maybe you can post on here how you get on.

Begs wrote:
    I wish it included the parking! Its another 25k for that, ker-ching :(

Its the 'big ass' balcony that attracted me to this apartment. And I reckon if i got a job in the office block next to me I could jump across into my desk in the morning!!

Good luck with the snagging, maybe you can post on here how you get on.

parking must have gone up 5k between phases? I paid 20k for mine in LH1. madness...
    will let u know how the snag goes if and when it ever happens...:rolleyes:

candyman wrote:
    parking must have gone up 5k between phases? I paid 20k for mine in LH1. madness...
    will let u know how the snag goes if and when it ever happens...:rolleyes:

Madness? More like maddening!!

Maybe the spaces are 25% bigger :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 red19

Hi Guys!
    Just found this site yesterday - I'm delighted cos I've bought one of the Lighthouse 2 apts - 1st floor, 2 bed, and was really worried about buying completely in the dark! It's comforting to know others have done the same thing, and that there will be other owner-occupiers living there! :D

Has anyone managed to see the interiors yet? Has anyone managed to get further details from Sherry Fitz regarding the appliances?

Thanks

Hi Red19,

I only have the initial info given by Sherry Fitz - it's mad to think we have shelled out so much cash yet we've no idea what we are getting in return. Yet when buying a car for much less you would know every minor detail!!

I'm hoping that Candyman, etc in LH1 will let us know how they get on in due course.

you will get more info out of this thread than you will ever get from our alleged "agents" Sherry Fitzgerald.

I've lost track of how many times that woman tried to hang up on me at the start of all this....zero interest and no concept of customer service.
    i dont care how mad the market is, manners dont cost a thing....

will keep ye posted on how i get on with the snags etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 armaghman23

hi i bought an apartment in castleforbes square in dublin last year. its just nearly ready for me to move into now. All of a sudden the developer has came back to me via the estate agent. they have offered me the marketing suite if i will let them have the apartment i bought. I have paid my deposit already. I asked them why they want my apartment and they say that there is a problem and they cannot close for a long time, 24months?? this is nonsense because i have snagged my aptmt already unknown to the estate agents when they approached me, and it is fine, no structural defects etc?

what the hell is going on here?why do they want my aptmt so badly?
    does anyone know any reasons for this?
    the developer is danninger or aka zoe developments. the estate agents are hooke and macdonald.

I would be interested to hear any theroies

armaghman@hotmail.com

• Advertisement

Sounds very suspect. Are they offering any money for your displacement. I think they have someone in mind for your apartment who will pay extra or they have given it to some one else. That happened to my sister when she bought her house out in Sandyford a couple of years ago. I would not move. There is more to this then what is being told to you.

Advertisement