Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Johanne

Thanks Candyman but map is tiny and this piece of crap can't download the downloadables ( probably something that Im doing wrong though ) . Does it make for pleasant reading ? I sthat from the East Wall action plan docklands document.. I actually came accross that the other day.. are they not just "recommentaions " though and not definates as to what's gonna be done?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

Think I'd read some of that before candyman. Long on aspirations and short on specifics. When's it all gonna happen though? The long fingers seems to get ever longer still. Grrrr... :mad: !

Just going back to transport, if you're going to Ballsbridge every day, you could walk the 10-15 mins through the park to Clontarf and get the dart across.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tony99

Johanne, Sorry you did not get the house. I had half of Washington (including G. Bush) saying a Novena for you over the weekend. Anyway it's lucky you did not buy on the East Wall Road. I remember when I lived in East WAll, there was always dust from the Readymix factory, and fumes from the traffic. Every house had manky windows full of dirt and dust. And the smell of the Tolka! Not to get you mad, but one of my sister's (who moved stateside) was going to buy a house beside Wiggin's Teape as an investment 15 years ago. The asking price at the time 20,000 Irish pounds. Good luck with your house-hunting.
    P.S. Johanne, when are you going to be sunbathing, so I can book a flight over for a gander?

Thanks for the Novena's ... really appreciate it ... pity it didn't work but like the others say maybe its a blessing. As for the sunbathing .... if I thought it would bring us some luck I would enlist every female I know and parade them up and down Church Road on the hour every hour... seems like I might have to resort to this to find something... blindside the other bidders and get in there on the sly ?... a tactic I hadn't considered ?
    Back to the house on Church Road... the house is lovely and looks like a good buy but its directly accross the road from the shop.... anyone any thoughts ? I spoke to a woman this morning who lives down the other end of Church Road and said that the kids outside the shop call her a "whore " everytime she walks past... she's one of the nicest ladies you could ever meet... I couldn't believe it ! .. am I totally naieve or is this what the little runts are like ( apologies for the word runt.. I actually love kids but these sound like right ....... rolleyes as one of you guys say )

Don't think I've ever gone to that shop on Church Road without seeing a few kids hanging around the door and a couple of older lads hanging about a little further down on the corner. But I've not had any grief from them. I've never seen anyone else get grief from them either. Not saying they're not capable of it, cos they might well be. But it's such a busy shop with people coming and going all the time I don't think I'd worry about it too much.

Those houses on Church Road do look quite big and I've seen the one for sale opposite the shop. Big gardens/drives at the front and I'm guessing a big garden at the back. Could be a good buy, especially if they ever get their traffic management plans in order. In the meantime, that area outside the shop is the busiest area on Church Road. It's got private vehicles parked, local and rat-running cars coming through, and the usual commerical/delivery vans. Something to bear in mind, though don't think I'd let it put me off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Vivienne

candyman wrote:
    have noticed a good few other small apt complexs starting to spring up around the area too. congrats on your sale - whereabout in east wall did u buy?

Hey candyman, thanks for the info on Aldi...I bought on Seaview avenue; signing for it officially in the next 10 days and moving in asap. Can't wait! Unlike Johanne, I won't be sunbathing topless in the backgarden - fair skinned Irish girl and all that...the fact that I even have a garden is amazing so I don't really care too much that its overlooked by the lighthouse development. Besides, somewhere that close to the city centre etc., something's gotta give....

Hey Vivianne,

Congrats on the gaff... we still have had no joy but hopin for a break some day soon. Did you buy number 2 or is that an awful personal question... its just we went to see that house and it is absolutely gorgeous so fair play to you if it is and if not well fair play to ya anyway. I know you are right about something having to give and being overlooked is a small price to pay when so close to town. You know yourself though when you start out at this lark you want to tick all the boxes and its only after a while you realise you are lucky if you can tick a quarter of them.... we are learning the hard way !

Hey Johanne,
    Nope, wasn't no. 2....the place I've bought, I fell in love with as soon as I stepped inside, but it needs quite a bit of work - no central heating in it at the moment. I know how hard it is looking at houses - the amount of time you spend and how depressing it all is...my only piece of advice is, stick with it....I almost gave up in complete desperation but finally all came good in the end! Hang in there...

Thanks a mill.... encouraging words because we are starting to hit the .oh my God this is horrendous and I can't be arsed anymore stage but your right will just have to stick with it and hope for a break...
    Congrats again... its a lovely road... hope all goes well in the signing etc... can't wait to be at that stage too ! !

ps FYI and I think its okay to say this now that you have confirmed that it wasn't number 2 you bought but we did go to see number two and loved it. The house originally went on the market for 365k and I rang yesterday to see where it had gone ( we were put out of the running ages ago ... and wait for it ... it sold for 560 k ! ! ! the day before yesterday.. even the estate agent said they were in shock so good news for you if you got yours at a good price...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

Johanne wrote:
    The house originally went on the market for 365k and I rang yesterday to see where it had gone ( we were put out of the running ages ago ... and wait for it ... it sold for 560 k ! ! !QUOTE]

:eek: practically 200k above asking price? for the love of god..........

• Registered Users Posts: 7 tony99

Half a mil euros, Wow I'm flabbergasted. We have a real-estate boom here, but not as bad as you guys. I bought my current house in Rockville MD 4years ago for US $210,000. It is now appraised at $500,000. But there are still lots of very affordable places to buy in the U.S. e.g. Outside of the major cities, it's not uncommon to find a S.F. home (4bed) for under $200,000.

Johanne wrote:
    it sold for 560 k ! ! ! the day before yesterday.. even the estate agent said they were in shock so good news for you if you got yours at a good price...

What??? That's crazy! The one I'm buying is a similar style but not in anything close to the condition that no. 2 is...its gonna take a lot of work and money to get it to the same condition as no. 2. Are you sure that it has def. been sold for that amount though - I wouldn't be surprised if the buyers got cold feet in the end and backed out. I honestly don't think those houses are worth that much; not yet, maybe in 5-10yrs when the area is developed...but certainly not now...ok, that's my rant on the ridiculous price of property overwith...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,253 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Vivienne wrote:
    Unlike Johanne, I won't be sunbathing topless in the backgarden
    Get a room :p

Vivienne wrote:
    The one I'm buying is a similar style but not in anything close to the condition that no. 2 is...its gonna take a lot of work and money to get it to the same condition as no. 2. I honestly don't think those houses are worth that much; not yet, maybe in 5-10yrs when the area is developed...

East Wall was totally flooded back in 2002 and alot of these houses may have been involved - hence some of them look brand new on the inside today - this is probably driving the prices bananas because people are pleasantly surprised when they walk in and dont expect such modern interiors. For anyone buying a house in East Wall, you should check whether the house has previous flood damage and if so how does it affect your house insurance premiums.
    ps. AFAIK the corpo have done nothing since 2002 to ever prevent floods happening again in the area also.

A friend of mine was looking at buying in East Wall and went to see a couple of houses on West Road. One of the reasons she didn't buy there in the end was a problem getting house insurance. But she works in the Council planning Dept and spoke to the engineers who worked on the problem after the flooding. She was assured that work had been done on it and provisions have been put in place to ensure it'll never happen again. For what it's worth....

Slutboy wrote:
    A friend of mine was looking at buying in East Wall and went to see a couple of houses on West Road. One of the reasons she didn't buy there in the end was a problem getting house insurance. But she works in the Council planning Dept and spoke to the engineers who worked on the problem after the flooding. She was assured that work had been done on it and provisions have been put in place to ensure it'll never happen again. For what it's worth....

wasn't aware of it Slutboy. I stand corrected. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 dindindin

I know of the lad who bought that wreck of house on the corner at seaview avenue, he bought it for a packet of crisps and a can of cherry coke back in the 80s and sold it last year to the builders of the lighthouse apartments in exchange for 3 apartments(jammy)

It's only two doors down from no.2 seaview and on the same building line as the lighthouse apartments - no.2 seaview could be part another project for the builder?

Can anyone out there please help me??? I'm trying to get house insurance for a house I'm buying in East Wall....Hibernian won't quote me because I don't have the "little locks on the windows" (roll eyes, honest to God!); I also rang a broker who wouldn't quote because the house is in an area prone to flooding - they suggested Quinn Direct - I looked up their website and they won't quote any house prone to flooding either! The house I'm buying is on Seaview ave. so does anyone out there have insurance for a house on seaview ave. and if so, with who??? Another thought I had was if anyone knew of the company who will insure the Lighthouse apartments, maybe they might insure my house??? Any advice....help....please???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Vivienne wrote:
    Can anyone out there please help me??? I'm trying to get house insurance for a house I'm buying in East Wall....Hibernian won't quote me because I don't have the "little locks on the windows" (roll eyes, honest to God!);
    Put locks on the window! Seriously they are only about €2 each. There are certain places that due to insurance risks are not worth buying in. If the place floods again you might not be able to get insurance again.
    Find out who the house is currently insured with from the vendor and tell them how it puts the sale at risk.

• Advertisement

Cheers, thanks for the advice. After ringing around, I got a quote from FBD (no flood cover - which I'm not sure will satisfy my mortgage lender). But thank God for Quinn Direct! They'll quote, incl. flood cover....so looks like I could be ok...was beginning to panic a bit....if all of the above fail, I'll get my little locks and get back onto Hibernian!

Vivienne wrote:
    Cheers, thanks for the advice. After ringing around, I got a quote from FBD (no flood cover - which I'm not sure will satisfy my mortgage lender). But thank God for Quinn Direct! They'll quote, incl. flood cover....so looks like I could be ok...was beginning to panic a bit....if all of the above fail, I'll get my little locks and get back onto Hibernian!
    You really should consider the possibility of flooding again. If insurance companies won't touch it at a relatively low risk to them why would you put yourself at a really high risk? I know the harship trying to find a place but this is probably the biggest purchase of your life why take a chance?
    As I said if it happens again you may never be able to get insurance. If Bertie couldn't fix the problem properly in his own area what do you think the situation will be like in what is generally seen as a poorer area?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 JSJG

Hi Vivienne

I have lived in East Wall all my life, and on Seaview Avenue all my life, the area was flooded in 2002 but Seaview was not affected at all. Regarding insurance we are insured through the local credit union although i dont know which insurance company they go through, you might want to check out that option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 brianmacd

sounds like the area is still a bit of a dump. It may change, but change can be slow. Hope you're not getting caught up with the novelty of buying a place.

Sounds like there is a bit of discrimination going on with certain insurance companys. My house was not flooded in 2002 or was most of eastwall and i don't have a ploblem getting insurance each year.
    I was getting letters a one stage through my letter box with updates of how engineers had started building up walls which on completion would eliminate the flooding from occuring again - - I'm sure the council could fill you in on this.
    Anyway at least some insurance companies have taken time to check it out otherwise they wouldn't be offering you insurance.

dindindin wrote:
    Sounds like there is a bit of discrimination going on with certain insurance companys.
    It's not discimination it's risk assesment. Some companies take larger risks than others. I wouldn't see Seaview as at risk but if the area floods it will still effect the WHOLE area in insurance terms.
    Leagally they have to quote you a price any insurance comapny that insures houses has to offer insurance to all houses in the state. Any company that says they won't insure you is actually breaking the law. There really isn't any point forcing the issue as they will just quote you a huge price but it is worth knowing.

Well, I've got insurance....after ringing around, I did find a few places to quote me. I decided to go with Allianz in the end...they don't consider Seaview Ave. a flood-risk area and they quoted me a reasonable price. Quinn Direct also said they'd quote me. FBD said they'd quote but wouldn't include flood cover. So, I finally got it sorted in the end...but thanks for all the advice!

Congrats vivienne on your purchase!!

I'm glad insurance companies don't see you as a risk - -The heard the floodings in 2002 were nothing like anyone in living memory had seen so if you weren't effected then and even if all the corrections which have been made fail then there is an extremely high chance you should be o.k.

After the floods in 2002 i'm sure house premiums went up due to the nature of the business but it was so little that i can't remember any impact on my premium that caused me to even raise an eyebrow!

anyone know details of any of the apt blocks currently in development around the point depot, end of east road area. looks like a few blocks going up but zero contact details - e.g. builders name/estate agents etc...

cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 shoutinbob

I think it maybe castleforbes sq, gunne are selling them

Advertisement