Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iRiver IHP-140

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

People, DON'T get the 20G over the 40G, the price difference is minuscule for double the capacity. You will regret it someday because the IHP is such a handy piece of kit. You may think "well I only have 12G of mp3" or so, but with the IHP, if you're at a party at a friends and they show you a big mp3 collection, hook up your IHP and away you go. The extra 20G will give you about 350[/b] albums more so if you want to get really technical, you will be getting 350 x €15(avg album price) = €5,250 worth of albums for spending an extra €50 or so on the 40G IHP.

iSkin Now stock casing for the IHP series.

Problem is, delivery is $15 to Ireland.

The case costs €30 so it would be $45 altogether which is €36

So if anyone is interested in buying 4 or 5, delivery will still be $15 so you're saving $60 or so.

Then you can sell on the rest for say $35/€28 each.

So if you buy 5, it will cost you $165/€132

Sell 4@€28 each=€112 meaning you only pay €20 for yours. Or else charge €30 and you will only pay €12 for yours.

Just make sure you let the buyers say which one they want before you order them.

So who would be interested in buying 5? And who would be interested in buying 1 of the 5?

I'd buy 1 of the 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

I want to get one of those gadgets that send your music to a fm band that you can pick up on your car radio of other nearby radio for the ihp - anyone know where I can get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

cormie wrote:
    iSkin Now stock casing for the IHP series.

Problem is, delivery is $15 to Ireland.

The case costs €30 so it would be $45 altogether which is €36

So if anyone is interested in buying 4 or 5, delivery will still be $15 so you're saving $60 or so.

Then you can sell on the rest for say $35/€28 each.

So if you buy 5, it will cost you $165/€132

Sell 4@€28 each=€112 meaning you only pay €20 for yours. Or else charge €30 and you will only pay €12 for yours.

Just make sure you let the buyers say which one they want before you order them.

So who would be interested in buying 5? And who would be interested in buying 1 of the 5?

I'd buy 1 of the 5.

I'd be interested in buying 1 of the 5 too.

buddy wrote:
    I want to get one of those gadgets that send your music to a fm band that you can pick up on your car radio of other nearby radio for the ihp - anyone know where I can get it?

iRiver have actually made one. But there are loads of different makes out there to choose from. I'm not too up to date on them so best seek advice elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Finally got me arse in gear and just ordered meself an IHP-140 from MX2. Gonna be a long 10 days waiting for it to arrive...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

10 days?! I thought it was 3-7!

Also, the dodgy-ness of the mx2 site isn't inspiring much confidence. The "Check Order" link doesn't work and, to be honest, I don't know how it could as there was no register or login when I ordered.

Lots of broken-image links aswell on some pages. :/

I think it took 3 days for delivery when I ordered from them. They send it by courier so it should get to you quicker that in 10 days unless they don't have stock in.

cormie wrote:
    iRiver have actually made one. But there are loads of different makes out there to choose from. I'm not too up to date on them so best seek advice elsewhere.

If they do I can't find it. Found a reference to a Belkin product. Would be nice to have one that intergrated neatly with it like the ipod but the Belkin one will do if not.

Mine arrived the Thursday after ordering it on the Sunday. 4 days technically.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

buddy wrote:
    If they do I can't find it. Found a reference to a Belkin product. Would be nice to have one that intergrated neatly with it like the ipod but the Belkin one will do if not.

If you can use a direct connection to your car radio or even one of those casette connectors, they give you a much better sound quality then a FM transmitter which will likely suffer from interference.

BTW The FM transmitters **maybe** illegal her in Ireland, they are illegal in the UK as you need a license to transmit on the FM band, even at short range. It is likely to be the same here in Ireland. You could check with www.comreg.ie who regulate the Irish airwaves.

The iRiver FM Transmitter is here:
    http://www.misticriver.net/boards/showthread.php?t=4508&highlight=transmitter

And discussion about it here:
    http://www.misticriver.net/boards/showthread.php?t=4652

• Advertisement

Looks like iriver only sell it from their US site, not the European one :(

They also question whether its legal to use if here. WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭tuco

Not certain about the legality, apparently you're considered a pirate radio station if you use one of those over here, the regulations make no distinction in terms of power output. I've never found out conclusively whether or not they're legal, but since the shops here refuse to stock them I assume they are, mailing comreg might be the best idea...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

yeah this type of machinery is illegal for the reasons mentioned above.

Thats a bit sad, there should be a distinction made.

I think www.everythingipod.ie sell them for the ipod.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bk wrote:
    If you can use a direct connection to your car radio or even one of those casette connectors, they give you a much better sound quality then a FM transmitter which will likely suffer from interference.
    Most new cars come with cd players. I dont know if there is a way to connect up a standard earphone cable to the back of a car cd player and use it with the irivers line out. I hook mine up to my amp at home directly like this. Of course it probably depends on the cd player...

rubadub wrote:
    Most new cars come with cd players. I dont know if there is a way to connect up a standard earphone cable to the back of a car cd player and use it with the irivers line out. I hook mine up to my amp at home directly like this. Of course it probably depends on the cd player...

Yes there is.
    If the car stereo has an AUX in at the back, then you just need a connector. This is the best way to get the IHP music in your car. Unfortunately, mine doesn't have it, I use the tape adapter, probably better than fm reciever for reception/legality issues.

CLICK HERE if you are interested in getting an >>>iSkin<<< for your H1XX unit:)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

Superman wrote:
    Iriver all the way!

play's all file types, easy to use, can be used as aportable HD too. You are not restricted to usung itunes.

<ahem>

iPod plays both MP3's and AAC (iTunes), is most certainly *easier* to use (no contest in UI terms), and also acts as a hard drive (faster, too, if you use the Firewire cable instead of the USB2.0 one.

And it's cheaper.
    I had a chance to try both and I defo think the iRiver is beter, i also got the iriver MP3-CD player (slimx) and it is very very good.

Just look at the spec of the two!

I agree. I've no regrets after buying an iPod.

Maoltuile wrote:
    <ahem>

iPod plays both MP3's and AAC (iTunes), is most certainly *easier* to use (no contest in UI terms), and also acts as a hard drive (faster, too, if you use the Firewire cable instead of the USB2.0 one.

And it's cheaper.

I agree. I've no regrets after buying an iPod.

What are you actually agreeing on? What are you saying is cheaper? There is no way the IPOD is cheaper than the iRiver, read my posts in this message to get an idea of how much better value the iRiver is.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

I bought an iHP-140 and have no complaints (though I did buy an additional piece of management software @ $25 for life - does filetransfers, playlist generation, etc via sendto menu, dead handy. if anyone wants a link ill dig it out later).

I've used IPods, and Zens. I just bought a second 140, and placed an order for a third. (dont ask).

• Advertisement

Mixie wrote:
    I bought an iHP-140 and have no complaints (though I did buy an additional piece of management software @ $25 for life - does filetransfers, playlist generation, etc via sendto menu, dead handy. if anyone wants a link ill dig it out later).

I've used IPods, and Zens. I just bought a second 140, and placed an order for a third. (dont ask).

Sorry, I'm curious... why 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

First one's full, it takes ages to swap around all my music even via USB2, and a friend wants one too. So 3. See, told you not to ask :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Maoltuile wrote:
    <ahem>

iPod acts as a hard drive (faster, too, if you use the Firewire cable instead of the USB2.0 one.

Can you simply plug an iPod into any PC (without software loaded) and use it like a USB pen drive? i.e appears as a removable hard drive that you can just drag files/songs onto.
    Do you have to buy a separate USB cable or does it come with it as standard?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,284 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Seeing as my IHP-140 is on the way, could I get a bit of advie from anyone who has one. I was just thinking of copying my CDs onto my hard drive using MediaPlayer and copying across the wma files onto the player. Are there any benefits to doing it a different way, e.g. converting the wma files to mp3 first, for example?

zaph wrote:
    Seeing as my IHP-140 is on the way, could I get a bit of advie from anyone who has one. I was just thinking of copying my CDs onto my hard drive using MediaPlayer and copying across the wma files onto the player. Are there any benefits to doing it a different way, e.g. converting the wma files to mp3 first, for example?

Dont use Windows Media Player..

Use EXACT AUDIO COPY.

Dont know too much about it besides that its supposed to be the best. go to head-fi.org for best advice. Actually, I think thats an earphone advice site. Emm, you better search for different forums so. I don't know of any I'm afraid.

I noticed mp3 from a CD I had were smaller than the WMA's for the same CD.

Is this a trend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Depends on what quality they're encoded at. Personally I prefer mp3 as it's cuddly and configurable.

On a seperate note, do mx2 just use regular mail? Hoping it'll be arriving tomorrow :0

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Emerson

MillerPC are selling them for a quid or two more including a free £25 car-kit! Free delivery to Ireland also...

http://www.millerpc.co.uk/shop/players/mp3players/iriver_ihp100.asp

zaph wrote:

Don't convert from WMA to MP3, convert directly to MP3. Converting to WMA first, then to MP3 means 2 sets of conversions which results in poorer quality MP3 files.

I've not used EAC but I do use cdex which will query CDDB.com for the CD name and track names, write the file name in whatever format you want and write ID tags to the files.

• Advertisement

PiE wrote:
    Depends on what quality they're encoded at. Personally I prefer mp3 as it's cuddly and configurable.

On a seperate note, do mx2 just use regular mail? Hoping it'll be arriving tomorrow :0

They used a courier for my player, Parcelforce I think it was. I got mine delivered to my work address, had to sign for it etc.

Advertisement