Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iRiver IHP-140

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,835 ✭✭✭✭cormie

by the way, I worked it out before. To buy accessories for the ipod so that it will have some of the features of the iriver (remote, radio, battery pack etc) it will add another €150 (approx) to the price. So basically, to have an IPOD come a bit closer to the iRiver, you will be paying about €500... and that's with HALF (20GB) the capacity. Now when all these things add up, The slight better look of the IPOD doesn't make the slightest differenct to where my money is going.

Just checked price of 40GB IPOD, works out including remote, battery pack etc to be about €560. And that's still with less features than iRiver. So basically, you're paying €200 more for a product that is inferior.

But if you think it's worth it for it's fashion appeal than you may as well just go for it. Personally I bought a portable music player for music, imagine that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭buddy

Damn, not in Dixons. I was going to hold back my usual "impulse buy" response and actually buy it in a shop.

Peats have it for €399. I hate paying 50 more but I probably will :/

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

zaph wrote:
    personally I think the iRiver is a bit ugly and the appearance is further marred by the mass of technical labels on the back.

It is a well guarded secret, but those labels can be removed. I think it looks great, the new 300 series are revolting though, they look like electronic games from a pound shop.
    I leave mine in the leather case in a backpack and just have the remote wire coming out. I never thought I would use the remote but have never had it off once.

buy from MX on the first link, amazon screw you for postage

Personally I would pay the extra €20 to get it in Dixons rather than abroad.

I would also try get peats down to €369. I wouldn't buy for €399 though. It's just the principal.

Yes, but Peats ship and I won't be in Dublin a while. I'll probably order this tonight.

Itchy "impulse buy" fingers.

• Advertisement

Then I'd just go with MX if I were you, save €50+:) Either way, €400 is still a nice price for what you get, I think it was worth every penny of the €460 I spent:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,446 ✭✭✭Havelock

Now I want to buy one of the bloody things (me shakes fist)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 George_h

An alternative to the Iriver and Ipod is below

http://www.provantage.com/buy-22089415-neuros-audio-ii-128mb-40gb-bundle-usb-2-0-shopping.htm

you can even demo the controls on the homepage.
    but check out the specs and the price.
    http://www.neurosaudio.com/

I got the 20gig bundle (but they go up to 80g) includes incar charger for 250euros delivered. but the FM transmitter is brilliant for those who want incar mp3 yet have not tape deck. quality is very good. Unlike zen you have to use s/w to add tracks, but it does support oggs amongst other things and is seen as an external drive.

Itsjust gone open source so it looks like there will be a lot of interesting s/w brought out for it. :D

Went with MX - about 345 euro so better value.

Can't wait!!!!!!

Good choice son:)

You wont be let down:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

George_h wrote:

The Register reviewed the 20GB version of the Neuros
    here

They found it to be inferior to the iPod and iRiver, due to being too heavy and bulky.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

sprinkles wrote:
    I was torn between the I river and the ipod too but then I found the creative zen touch (20gig) which combines the pro's of both the ipod and iriver. A definate winner in my view. If your buying one tomorrow check out some reviews.

Try

http://www.advancedmp3players.co.uk

Its a very good site for reviews.

I bought an IHP140 about 6 weeks ago now and haven't stopped using it since, find it great for trips abroad etc. Our place got burgled a few weeks ago and my wifes NetMD was nicked so we decied to upgrade her to an MP3 player and she picked out the Creative Zen, it was £179+shipping from Amazon.

Comparing both side by side the iRiver wins hands down but if all you want is a 20 gig player with great sound and none of the bells and whistles then the Zen Touch is a great choice.
    It is a well guarded secret, but those labels can be removed.

Rubadub, can you tell us how?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭kahaya

I have an iRiver iFP190TC and am in the process of selling it, thinking of getting a hard disk based MP3 player instead! Now the only thing I'm wondering is should I go for the H340 or iHP140 from iRiver? The only major difference that I can see other than the colour screen is that I can record from radio using the H340, and can currently do this from the iFP, however can't do it on the iHP140.

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Cons:
    No LCD remote included (however H1XX remote can be used with H3XX)
    Dearer
    No Optical ports
    Tiny bit bigger

Pros:
    Colour screen
    Record from radio
    Better buttons
    USB On the go (connect to a friends H1XX and transfer files) - to me that's the best thing about it. I'm not sure how compatible transfers are though.
    Picture viewer
    USB Charging

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

Pro, the 340 charges from usb, you wont be getting your bonus from iriver this month cormie.

Haha, believe it or not, I'm not affiliated with them. It's purely a spread the good word thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 George_h

bk wrote:
    The Register reviewed the 20GB version of the Neuros
    here

They found it to be inferior to the iPod and iRiver, due to being too heavy and bulky.

update on that review
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/09/01/neuros_open_source/
    which effectively gets rid of 2 of the cons

and now
    http://neurosdbm.sourceforge.net/
    NDBM has successfully loaded MP3 files, Ogg Vorbis files, Windows Media Audio files and WAV files on Linux, Windows, OS X and Solaris platforms.

Plus as I said I have one and its not as bulky as made out!!!!! Its light and while it won't really fit in your pocket easily, it suits me because i drive a lot
    I don't think its inferior to the zen or ipod, just different.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭vigos

Sorry a bit of change of subject, but its still regarding the iRiver H140. I'm travelling around the world for the next 3 months and want to get it insured incase it gets stolen. Anyone know what insurance I can get, I doubt house insurance will cover this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭cdebru

mmm travel insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

How heavy is the iHP-140 in reality? I saw it in Peats the other day (not that I'd buy there, it's just nice to see these things in the flesh) and it looked huge... even the remote looked huge.

It's a toss-up between the 140 and a Zen Touch at the moment so size/weight may very well be the deciding factor.

• Advertisement

I got mine the other night. It's fantastic, its not that heavy. I could weigh if you like - smaller than a walkman, about the same weight. Like others said you can use the control or not. I haven't decided yet - just threw my music onto it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I might be selling my 2 month old ihp-140, going away, and looking to sell some of my stuff.

How much would i get, considering its in tip-top

€200! :>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭SteM

PiE wrote:
    How heavy is the iHP-140 in reality? I saw it in Peats the other day (not that I'd buy there, it's just nice to see these things in the flesh) and it looked huge... even the remote looked huge.

It's a toss-up between the 140 and a Zen Touch at the moment so size/weight may very well be the deciding factor.

I've got both of them right here in front of me and the Zen Touch is wider, shallower and *slightly* shorter than the IHP140. It feels slightly heavier to me too.

To be honest, if you're considering a Zen Touch which is 20 gigs you should really consider the IHP120 over it. It's nice being able to just drag and drop tracks and data onto the IHP, it means that you can take tracks if your in a friends etc. With the Zen Touch you need software installed to load tracks. I find the IHP user interface easier to use too.

That being said the Zen Touch is a nice MP3 player if thats all you want. My wife has never used my IHP140 and she loves her Zen, I've used both and much prefer mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

bazH wrote:
    I might be selling my 2 month old ihp-140, going away, and looking to sell some of my stuff.

How much would i get, considering its in tip-top
    you'll get 300 easily.
    are you selling it to get money to go away? surely you could bring it with you otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'd find it hard to part with, but i need the money for the holiday

Ta chaps, ordered the IHP-140 from mx2. Now we play the waiting game :[

PiE wrote:
    Ta chaps, ordered the IHP-140 from mx2. Now we play the waiting game :[

No prob. I ordered mine Sunday, was sent Wednesday, arrived Thursday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

so mx2 is the best place to get a brand new iriver 40gb ihp. i bought the 20g for 300 euro in dixons which i thought was a good price, but i broke it and thank god they refunded my money on it. so should be no hassle getting it the post (customs etc.?) what about returns (although i hope i dont break this one).

• Advertisement

Yeah, I was gonna get the 20GB from Peats for 299 but they had another 10 - 12 euro for p & p. So said I'd spend 345 for the 40 gig on mx2.

They have information on returns etc on their site. AFAIK the packaging gave info on warranty as well.

Advertisement