Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We read to know we're not alone...and go online just to make sure.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

Weird, I was going to buy that yesterday but then I didnt.

Oh, the places you'll go!
    Dr. Suess

'Nuff said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭davethetrucker

Joycey wrote:
    class. Will do. Will i be able to get it in my local bookshop or will I have to order it online? Is that spiky(hot ;)) dave ya?

yeah its spikey dave, you can get it any where

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭davethetrucker

yeah man i saw some guy reading that on the train and i was all like "nice name for a book".

is it good?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

If your talking about the lies book yeah. It really funny in some parts. Whats annoying is that some of the points are lost on us peoples because we're not American

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Is it an honest investigation or just a rant at American Society? Yank-bashing loses its appeal so quickly.

That said, I have been known to listen to nothing but RATM for three weeks on end.

In any case i've heard good things about the "Lies... &c." book.

And to continue the pirates/swashbuckling thing, I got out the sequels to The Three Musketeers from the library, and I was the first person to get them out since about a decade ago...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 hannahC

"Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them" is written by Al Franken, a former Saturday Night Live writer/performer (Stuart Smalley). He is also extremely democrat and has a 2 hour radio show on Air America (liberal radio network). I'm not saying they're really liberal just b/c I don't agree, even they admit it. While Franken does have some good points, he mainly concentrates on FOX news. I'll readily admit that FOX is conservatively biased, but he completely ignores the rest of the media, which is liberally biased. I know most of you probably don't know the exact situation simply b/c you don't live here.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I like the Artemis Fowl books and the Redwall series is pretty good. I read a lot but for some reason I can't remember most of my favorite books.

PS. What's RATM?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I loved that book. it was so well written.. really got u into the person of the kid that was talking. honestly really worth reading.. it was so easy going and simply but at the same time deep and meaningful. think it is one of the most touching books I have ever read

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Redwall series rocks, Artemis Fowl books are ok.

And RATM is Rage Against The Machine afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

i read invisible monsters again, and it's still the best BUT it is being made into a movie with jessica biel (of all people!) in the lead role sometime next year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Artemis fowl is pretty fun. not a fan of redwall.
    But, my ultimately favoristic books of all time are:
    - The Invisibles (Grant Morrison)
    - Midnight's Children (Salman Rushdie)
    - Use of Weapons (Iain M. Banks)
    - Wasp Facory (Iain Banks (same person, but there's a good reason for it))
    - Gibson in general
    - Stephenson in general (possible exception of Interface)

• Advertisement

American Psycho its a legend book but seriously messed up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I can't imagine Inivisble Monsters translating into a movie too well. There are so many flashbacks and time jumps it'll be HELLA confusing.. and... yes, images to be shattered. ;.;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Stephen Forde

American Psycho its a legend book but seriously messed up

Is that also a movie?
    Cos i saw a movie called American Psycho 1 and the sequel and to be frank they sucked ass. Really bad movies dont watch em if u havent already!! :eek:

Or is it a good book that was just fcuked up by a movie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Plunky

Recently bought the "underworld" novelisation, it's so brilliant! And has a couple of scenes of vampyre sex in there, which, of course, rocks! Go get it, it's almost as good as the film!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

the guy who wrote american psycho (which i haven't read),bret easton ellis, is my favourite author EVER sometimes. less than zero and the rules of attraction are sooooooooo good

Is that also a movie?
    Cos i saw a movie called American Psycho 1 and the sequel and to be frank they sucked ass. Really bad movies dont watch em if u havent already!!

Or is it a good book that was just fcuked up by a movie?

I've only seen a bit of the movie but it paled compared to the book. you should read it. it kinda manky in parts though

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

MMMM...... RATM. Seriously though. If you ever plan to communicate sensibly with a member of society don't listen to RATM for more than a few days at a time. Otherwise everything just becomes a psychotic political anti-Republican rant. It's fun but it scares people.
    /Goes off to listen to RATM for eighth day running.

Oh dear lord Daves becoming insane

**** you I won't do what you tell me!

Some American dj played that in the middle of the day not knowing about that part

• Advertisement

Oh dear lord Daves becoming insane
    Becoming?

good point. Ok he's becoming more insane than he once was.

I'm not insane, I'm just misunderstood. By the way, this coming from the man who screams Monty Python songs at five in the morning and talks to himself in a scottish accent while in the jacks?!

Dude, when did I EVER claim to be sane

my 200th post. Yeah Go me. we're all weird can we just agree on that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

I was told I was scitsophrenic, but i dont know if i agree...
    I'm in two minds.
    (Cue recorded laughter)
    No, wait,
    (Cue ridiculous recorded laughter)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

(Cue geeky correction on how schitsophrenia is so commonly mistaken with Multiple Personality Disorder, and that multiple personalities is only a sometimes occuring symptom in schitsophrenia.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Also, i spelled it wrong. I know i did it. I knew i was doing it at the time, but you go to the trouble of looking it up, especially for that joke.

multiple personality disorder is not even a proven condition it is a belief among some people that people just use it as an excuse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

I'm reading East of Eden at the mo...its so good. Read it! You should. Tis Steinbeck. Theres this one girl, Cathy, and she like evil, personified...I keep finding myself rooting for her.

And ok, I only posted to stop my thread from being swept away..into limbo...

Advertisement