Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We read to know we're not alone...and go online just to make sure.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Alice in wonderland/ Alice through the looking glass
    Animal Farm
    lord of the flies
    I'm reading to kill a mockingbird in school and I thought it would be crap like the other stuff we did but its actually really good.
    The life of Pi was a very good book I thought, really made me think

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

Lord of the Rings-Classic
    Bored of the Rings-Hilarious
    Harry Potter books-i've read them way to many times but i never grow tired of them
    The Outsiders
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    Chinese Cinderella
    Across the Nightingale Floor
    Piratica
    One for the Money
    Two for the Dough
    Three to Get Deadly
    The Alchemist-read it when i was 8 so i can't really remember it.
    Inkheart
    Goodnight Mister Tom-beloved childhood book but my english teacher ruined it in 1st year
    Eragon-almost finished but BRILLIANT so far

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

The Snapper- Hilarious, its like the anti- Ross o Carrol Kelly book.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Life of Pi and The Alchemist are both very good books.
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned Life of Pi before, it's actually ridiculous how believeable it is. I'd never thought I'd think a book about a boy stranded on a lifeboat with a tiger for that long nearly non fiction, but I really did...

Or maybe I'm just an idiot.

Either way I win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Nah, it's not you. Life of Pi is just a work of pure genius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

Okay, that took a bit of concentration and understand on my part...
    I think I've read that book (is it about characters from a book who become real or something?), and yes, the book obsession I found rather irritating. To me, it made the characters seem a bit one dimensional.

A little one-dimensional, yes... and I think I'd probably have gotten bored of that book if it wasn't for Dustfinger, who rocked my metaphorical socks (and didn't do the whole book-obsessing thing)!

article6 wrote:
    Nah, it's not you. Life of Pi is just a work of pure genius.
    And highly informative now. I'm fully equipped to debate zoos with random strangers now. Or at least I would be if I could remember... god damn it.
    Chowburger wrote:
    A little one-dimensional, yes... and I think I'd probably have gotten bored of that book if it wasn't for Dustfinger, who rocked my metaphorical socks (and didn't do the whole book-obsessing thing)!
    Yeah, he was pretty damn cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

The Snapper- Hilarious, its like the anti- Ross o Carrol Kelly book.
    No you! The snapper was published in 1990, ROCK came about sometime in the late '90s if anything. Roddy Doyle is one of the greatest writers Ireland has ever produced and his books (the Barrytown Trilogy among them) have become bestsellers throughout the world. I admit, ROCK has his funny moments but to compare him to Roddy Doyle... gah! Even to say Roddy Doyle was trying to write back at ROCK... gah! No you!

O'Carroll Kelly writes to appeal to a certain section of society mainly found in south east Dublin. Roddy Doyle writes brilliant novels and plays that appeal to people throughout the world. I cannot think of a suitable analogy to this situation involving faeces but I will find one and, furthermore, I shall smite you down with my testosterone filled stick of doom*.

*You know what I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

The butcher boy - Patrick McCabe

started reading it again last night - excellent book - actually manages to fill you with an overwhelming sense of dread and empathy with Francie and the path he goes down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

No you! The snapper was published in 1990, ROCK came about sometime in the late '90s if anything. Roddy Doyle is one of the greatest writers Ireland has ever produced and his books (the Barrytown Trilogy among them) have become bestsellers throughout the world. I admit, ROCK has his funny moments but to compare him to Roddy Doyle... gah! Even to say Roddy Doyle was trying to write back at ROCK... gah! No you!

Well, just because somebody calls it the "anti-Ross" doesn't mean they presume it came afterwards. No need to get so agitated over tenses, though I agree about Roddy Doyle's quality of writing being superior. Or at least I would if I had enough interest to read those other books.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

Id have toi whole heartedly agree with mr. orangerhino here. ROCK is brilliant, but not even on Roddy Doyles scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Kitsune

Pterry rules!
    Ringworld by Larry Niven is brilliant
    as are the Wheel of Time books,
    the Narnia Books
    The first ten or so David Eddings books I read (They get so repetitive after that)
    'The Portable Poe'
    The Book of Revelations
    The government publications English-Irish Dictionary. This is a million times better than those sh1t school dictionaries and makes writing an aiste sooo much easier.
    I'm currently reading 'The theory and Practice of Communism'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Lord of the Rings-Tolkien
    A Clockwork Orange-Anthony Burgess
    About A Boy-Nick Hornby
    Chinese Cinderella-Adeline Yen Mah
    I have lived a thousand years-I forget
    Ulysess (sp?)-Joyce
    The Ross O Carroll Kelly books-Paul Howard
    Perfume- Patrick Suskind

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭jono087

Lord Of The Rings is/are legendary, histories of Middle Earth are much much more interesting tho....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

as are the Wheel of Time books

They are my most favourist books ever i've read them all including the novella and the history book. Does anyone know when the knew one is due?

I'm also rather partial to the Darren Shan Saga

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

They are my most favourist books ever i've read them all including the novella and the history book. Does anyone know when the knew one is due?
    I got sorta bored of them after about Book Four... After the character from HELL (what's her name... Faille or something) came along. She made me want to throw things.
    I'm also rather partial to the Darren Shan Saga
    One of the few good things Limerick has ever produced is Darren Shan. Those books rock!

Oh, and has anyone ever read Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer? I rather like the series. They're not the most fantastically written books ever, but twelve year old geniuses (genii? Bah - stupid plurals) always make for an entertaining read :)

I read the first 2 Artemis Fowl books. DIdn't think they were anything special. I disliked Artemis as a character. I dislike supersmart youngin's. (Even if it's only 2 years younger). And he had his own laptop! (Jerk.. *mutters*)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

ah you cant get bored of the Wheel Of Time it just keeps on giving and giving. people go that Lord Of The Rings is an epic you try reading the whole Wheel Of Time thats an epic

Magician is a good book as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭pinkpimp

I quite liked the mister men books.

[EDIT: W00t, 200 posts!!]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Indeed, Life Of Pi, the only book I read through in one day.
    Simulacra & Simulation, and America, both by Jean Baudrillard
    Quicksilver, The Confusion, Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson
    Regeneration
    and many more.
    If I could include comics this list would be gigantic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Heh heh. Mister men.
    *Remembers sitting in a circle around Leo as he reads Mister Noisy aloud in the Iveagh Gardens*

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

Heh heh. Mister men.
    *Remembers sitting in a circle around Leo as he reads Mister Noisy aloud in the Iveagh Gardens*
    god that brings back so many memories :D . i has like a million of the little men and little miss's when i was small.
    dunno what happened to them though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

Heh heh. Mister men.

And somehow drawing a comparison between MDMA and elephants.

Yeah actually. That whole thing got surprisingly nerdy for an activity that involved reading a book with no word of more than two syllables.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

the mr men series never really appealed to me, not like the little misses could. see, i could relate to the little misses, especially little miss splendid, whereas the mr men were all like, i'm tall, go me, i'm happy, go me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Stephen Forde

hmmmmmmmmm (*strokes chin where beard will be hopefully in years to come, and nods approvingly at the great points being made)

jolly good insights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭davethetrucker

read go ask alice best book ever.

Someone told me about Go Ask Alice. It's the diary of a girl who went on acid or something, right? Is it true that it's true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

yeah, we read it in first year. i tell ya, corrupted a lot of minds in my class.

• Advertisement

Forde's growing a wannabeard!!!! *laughs hysterically* Aonghus should copyright that and charge you!

Advertisement