Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We read to know we're not alone...and go online just to make sure.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

*Does so*

Pay up n00b!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

How long do ya have to go before your considered a n00b? And what do ya become after your a n00b?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

1. As long it takes you to learn English and the grammar and punctuation associated therewith and to contribute sensibly to discussion on the board.
    2. A contributing member of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

1. As long it takes you to learn English and the grammar and punctuation associated therewith and to contribute sensibly to discussion on the board.
    2. A contributing member of society.

:D
    that rules out so many people......

Not really. Only a few do it continuously and unapologetically. And I think we all know who they are anyway. Those that stopped are lately slipping back into bad habits I personally couldn't be bothered yelling at them for. I'll leave the n00b abuse to the man who does it best for a while. Enjoy, Aonghus.

• Advertisement

Who died and made you the new mod? (i hope its not crash or halenger, the bestest mods ever)

No, but when Neil does forsake the modship you'll be wishing he had given it to me. Might still appeal to Podge's better nature. He doesn't know me as well.

Either way, couldnt give a toss whether im a n00b for the rest of my life, so ya may get used to it

(i am a n00b, right?)

Yes. Yes you distinctly are. And we care, in the half brick sense of the word

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

Go ask alice.

Oh god. That book is scary. It should be compulsive reading. Although...I do admit that I skipped the start where her life was all normal and went straight for the first trip entry...

But really. Read it. Its put so many people I know off drugs for life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Go Ask Alice: The message is fine, but I don't think it was a true story. If you want to verify, check Snopes. I couldn't be bothered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Stephen Forde

omfg wtf u guys on (mainly pointed at Aonghus)???

that is like the worst deffinition of a noob man i have ever heard......its not even funny. And ffs ive been here as long as u?????but i suppose ur obviously better than me.A noob is sum1 bad at whatever they are doing either gaming or using boards, and is only new to the concept of whatever it is they are doing. Basically if u can make head or tail of this!!!

OOH yea and books.Boy do i like a good read....roflmao.
    Hmmm im recently in to the Terry Pratchett craze.....whenever i get around to staring a book and then trying to finish it.But once i start i cant stop reading.

No stephen, thats a NEWB, everyone is a newb

A n00b is someone who refuses to learn anything, and generally acts the tit

Oh, and I'm currently reading the 11th darren shan book to review for my local bookstore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Joycey

What is the Ask Alice book about specifically? Is it just one trip or a whole series of them? What kinda dose did she take?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

Okay...

Go ask alice is the true diary...ok, the ''supposed'' true diary of a 15 year old girl. She has a pretty normal life up until she goes to a party and her drink is spiked with LSD. She has a good trip, and so does it more and more... The book follows her as she totally ****s up her life.

Correct me if I'm wrong with any of that. I haven't read the book in a few years.

ah ok... It sounds good enough i might get it. Where and when is it set?

Amazon.com

There you go Joycey, should give you everything you need to know

:) thanks there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭davethetrucker

alrite joyce,

yeah the bbok is about this girl who takes acid and trips out and then cant stop doing it. she injects speed and smokes lots a dope. starts to deal lsd, acid, mdma, xml, and what have you. runs away- goes to san fran opens a shop takes gear and mayb coke (cant remeber). then comes the bad trip. that be-ach put me of for a long time.

its ****ed up but she describes the trips really well.

good book. read it.

class. Will do. Will i be able to get it in my local bookshop or will I have to order it online? Is that spiky(hot ;)) dave ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭nosmo

just finished Cryptonomicon. Again.
    Now I'm moving onto something a bit heavier, Egyptian Mythology by Geraldine Pinch, along with another stab at Michael Smith's Java book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Mystic Fibrosis

Currently rereading the Odyssey in a way, it's a different translation, and also finishing off The Confusion. Arr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

ok most of what im going to mention has probably alreayd been said, so take it as im 2nd-ing or 3rd-ing or etc-ing you books. im to lazy to go find them all and quote.

the secret history- donna tart that was brillaint but for a sort of 'lighter version' as such the basic eight is the secret history meets gossip girl.

the secret garden- that is my absolute favourite book ever well 1 of two the other is the other is Beyong the Rainbow by christina-marien fraser. very junvinile compared to what most of you would read now but i 9 when i first read it and when im low now i go and read sections. ( i think i might have the author wrong im terrible about things like that)

adrien mole- just go read them if you havnt
    ross o'carrol kelly pails to insignifcance beside them well in my opinion

when stars stop spining and all other books by the same author

i should probably add others but im cant really think of much at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

...finishing off The Confusion. Arr.
    nosmo wrote:
    just finished Cryptonomicon. Again.

Aaah Cryptonomicon...
    Neal Stephenson nerds... I love you all. It's like a big family

"No ****head, you kill him because he's got a ****ing sword! You ever had someone running at you waving a ****ing sword?"

Just to make you feel at home, I'd considered loading Asherah into your brain. But then stuff like ethics, and arrest, and the effort involved got in the way.
    <raises arm for a moment and then lets it drop>

whatever.

But to keep this on topic, I'm considering reading "The Difference Engine" by William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. Have the new Gibson "pattern recognition" knocking around somewhere gotta read that, and I'm looking for bad, easy books about pirates and swashbuckling and stuff. I like pirates.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

Don't read Piratica. Its about pirates hence the title. Its crap.
    My friend wrote a book on Pirates. Well, she's on the first draft. She's gonna lend it to me. She's gonna try to get it published.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭the_only_Ali

anyone ever read The Poisonwood Bible? Its amazing, about this american family that are taken to live in the Congo by their crazy father who feels its his job to convert everyone there to christianity. Its told from the point of view of the daughters and his wife and it is soooooo good!!!

what about the Lindsay Davis series about Marcus Didus Falco? He's this detective dude that has to solve all these murders in ancient Rome. Theyre brilliant.

And anyone, anyone at all ever heard of Gerald Durrell or read anything by him?
    He wrote "My Family And Other Animals" and generally books about his crazy journeys to crazy places which he undertook to study the local wildlife and save it from extinction. So he was a pretty cool guy as well as a great writer. And barely anyone seems to have read anything by him!!! This tragic state of affairs must CEASE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

A great book is "Lies And The Lying Liars Who Tell Them" its a looka t the media in America and it is abso****inglutely brilliant

Advertisement