Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

We read to know we're not alone...and go online just to make sure.

Options
  • 11-09-2004 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

This is the beginning of the end of boring, mundane, mediocre, annoying threads.

Although....I just wanna break the monotony, I haven't actually thought of a topic yet.

*uses supposed talented brain*

Okay, this was up a while ago, but books! Give a book you like, short summary, and why it's great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

most people i knew in CTYI are into books about intelectual stuff but im not the most recent book i read was Chinese Cinderella which i read for like the 100th time or something
    its a true story bout a chinese girl who's step mother is evil (hence the Cinderella) and her dad doesnt care for example they dont let her see any of the people who actually care for her, they send her to a boarding school in the most dangerous place in China and then move to Hong Kong without telling her' and then the stepmother beats her own baby(who she usually spoils) and when the girl interevnes she beats her as well and so on and so forth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

This is the beginning of the end of boring, mundane, mediocre, annoying threads.
    "This is the end.....the end of high prices!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Y'know whats a good book? The Da Vinci Code. I'm to lazy to summarise it, but read it. Its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Veronika Decides to Die - Paulo Coehlo. (Or however the hell the second name is spelt)
    This is a book about (I feel oddly like I'm writing something in English class... ugggh) a woman who attempts suicide by overdosing on sleeping pills if I can recall correctly. Anyway, she wakes up in a mental hospital with a week to live. The book is essentially that week.

I like this book because it's got lessons about life and stuff along those lines. (And the cover is pretty.)

Yeah Da Vinci code was great. Really interesting. End sucked though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

most people i knew in CTYI are into books about intelectual stuff but im not the most recent book i read was Chinese Cinderella which i read for like the 100th time or something

I really like that book. Falling leaves is the next one, also about her childhood, but mainly to do with when she grew up.

That girl went through a lot of crap.

Everyone should read Terry Prattchet. Any book is fine.

• Advertisement

Yeah. I didn't like the ending either. It was as If Dan Brown said 'Welll I'm bored so instead of giving an interesting and exciting ending I'll just say something vague and meaningless'

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

I read anything and everything. the Da Vinci Code was pretty kick ass. agreed on ending though.

I love looking up poems on the internet as well and finding one that really means something to me...like "If" by Rudyard Kipling....

After seeing the Movie space odyssey 2001 in Philosophy I was very confused and decided to read the book to unconfuse me. its a really good book!!!!!!!!!!! Read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Shiney

I really like that book. Falling leaves is the next one, also about her childhood, but mainly to do with when she grew up.

yeah i was meaning to read Falling Leves but never got round to getting it (in other words im too god damn lazy) but next time i'm in the square i try to get it r my friend probably has it she's got a freaking librar,she even order books that haven't been released :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Reading Neal Stephensons - Cryptonomicon atm, between mangas

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭emptyspoon

Just finished the DVC. Twas good. The start was the best, when it was building up, but then it started to drag. Ending wasn't that bad, just flat.

Now reading Mr.Monday, by Garth Nix, the guy who wrote Sabriel. Its really childish and quite boring, I'm not really sure why I'm reading it. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 debbieip

yeah the cinderella story book was really good.it was so sad.she has a new book out now.its about her in college i think.havent read it yet though.has ne1 read angels and demons??its practically the same as the da vinci code but its set in rome and its not as good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭Stephen Forde

Everyone should read Terry Prattchet. Any book is fine.

Yup i second that....terry Pratchett just plain kicks so much ass. He is proabably the best writer ever(in my opinion although i dont read every book in my way) BUt he is hilarious and brilliant and hilarious and really original and really inventive and stupendous......plus lots more!! All of his books are good and im on my way to reading them all...although ive only read like 12 so far!!

And Terry Brooks is good also cos i remember some of his books i red b4. like "Magic Kingdon for sale/Sold". VEry good

I should become a book analyst! Rofl i know i shouldnt but atleast let me have my moment!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

The Perks of Being A Wallflower - Stephen Chbosky
    A brilliant book that sums up adolescence perfectly... I've yet to meet someone who can't relate to a character in this book.

High Fidelity, How To Be Good - both by Nick Hornby
    High Fidelity brilliantly describes and explains why fellas are the way we are (with some brilliant musical references thrown in) while How To Be Good is a book that shows just how horrible men and women that love each other can be to each other.

Ronnie - Ronnie O'Sullivan
    I love snooker and Ronnie is simply the best (maybe) but his autobiography doesn't have an awful lot to do with snooker but rather the story of a man with an addicitive personality and the problems it can lead to.

What do you call a sociopath in a cubicle?, etc. - Scott Adams (books of Dilbert comics)
    Dilbert... what can I say?

Things My Girlfriend and I Have Argued About, A Certain Chemistry - both by Mil Millington
    No one has ever written about relationships like Mr. Millington has... and he's one of the funniest authors I've ever read as well.

P.S. I Love You - Cecilia Ahern
    Yeah, well, um, I liked it. And I saw Mean Girls in the cinema.

Fermat's Last Theorem - Simon Singh
    The finest book about higher mathematics ever written, also pretty easy to understand as well. (The latter few chapters start explaining 4 dimensions and stuff, but it's easy enough to get your head around.)

The General - Paul Williams
    How he kept this book unbiased I don't know but he did and it is the best true crime book I've ever read.

The Barrytown Trilogy (The Commitments, The Snapper, The Van) - Roddy Doyle
    Dublin humour cannot be written down any better than in these three stories.

The Adrian Mole series - Sue Williams
    Brilliant comedy writing about the most lovable twat whom ever did live.

The Mammy (and to a lesser extent The Chisellers and The Granny) - Brendan O'Carroll
    Another fine example of Dub humour.

All of the Ross O' Carrol Kelly books- The scary thing was, I could recognise SOOOOOOOO many people in the caracters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭LiamD

Junk - Melvin Burgess.

Quality book, yet slightly depressing about some introverted little boy being brought out of his shell, gettin hooked on drugs, attempting to get off drugs and other stuff which I won't spoil for ya

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Anything by Iain Banks, if its fiction yeh want. Personally i'd suggest The Wasp Factory, The Crow Road, etc.
    or for sci fi the Iain M Banks books, Use of weapons, Feersum Endjinn, consider phlebas, excession.

Possibly my favourite author. well, actally no possibly about it.

Hrmmm remind me to go through the giant stack i have upstairs and pick out ones people should definitely read :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky, as mentioned before. Such a beautiful, sweet, sad book.
    Anything by Kerouac, esp. Big Sur and The Dharma Bums.
    The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
    The Ruby in the Smoke, The Shadow in the North, The Tiger in the Well and the Tin Princess by Philip Pullman.
    Walden by Henry David Thoreau.
    Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll.
    The Tales of Narnia by CS Lewis.
    The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Liquorice wrote:
    That is an amazing, revolutionary book.

True.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

That book was so amazing. Does anybody else love reading biographies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭gigglingrat

The Ruby in the Smoke, The Shadow in the North, The Tiger in the Well and the Tin Princess by Philip Pullman.
    The Tales of Narnia by CS Lewis.
    All of the Ross O' Carrol Kelly books
    High Fidelity, How To Be Good - both by Nick Hornby
    The Adrian Mole series - Sue Williams

I'd like to second all those books, they're great. There's probably more, but I got bored of cutting and pasting.

I used to love Diana Wynne Jones when I was younger, I think I've still got a shelf of her books somewhere...they were so good, kinda fantasy..

I love the 'his Dark materials' trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 466 ✭✭Caoimhe

Thats such a classic trilogy. I felt a bit let down by the last one but overall twas some damn good reading...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I agree Caoimhe. The last book went off a bit oddly...

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is good.

Just read Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk a while ago. Good good.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭purplepolkadot

ooooh everyone should read 'sleepers' by lorenzo carracetero (no, that's not how you spell his name, but it's like how you pronounce it). it makes the film seem like a large lump of piss (and it's a darn good film imo)
    Does anybody else love reading biographies?
    yeah, true stories are the best stories.
    i'd also highly recommend that one... it's an autobiography and it was made into documentary film last year or the year before... he's robert something i think, he was the head of paramount. big producer guy. genius book. oh and his ex-wife's aswell the ali chick out of love story, cos she fecked off with steve mcqueen (as you do) and the parallel in how they describe these events is highly entertaining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mentalimplosion

Just read Invisible Monsters by Chuck Palahniuk a while ago. Good good.

bestest book ever. screw fight club, this should be made into a movie.

the beach - alex garland
    trainspotting - irvine welsh
    watermelon - marian keyes (i love her SO MUCH)
    less than zero - bret easton ellis
    the secret history - donna tartt
    brightness falls - jay mcinerney (nobody i know has read this. but everyone should)
    microserfs, girlfriend in a coma, generation x - douglas coupland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Peterfing

Oooh, His Dark Materials... best trilogy ever.

And the Da Vinci Code! So good. I wish everyone would start complaing about the ending. The reason the whole book was so good was because it was suspenseful and there was all the code breaking. He couldn't end the book with that coz then no one would've known what'd happened... but yeah the ending wasn't that great :D

The Sabriel trilogy is a nice fantasy set, Sabriel, Lirael and Abhorsen.

Oh yeah, I just read Roald Dahl's book of short stories called Skin & other stories. They're really good, you shoudl read em.

Tuesdays With Morrie
    Pride & Prejudice
    Noughts & Crosses and Knife Edge, both by Malorie Blackman, the third and final book is coming soon.

Erm... and many more besides

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

curious incident of the dog at nighttime - excellent.

MentalImplosion: though making Invisble monsters into a movie would be....well....odd. very very odd. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

I'm currently reading:
    Firepower - Bidwell & Graham
    Citizen Soldiers - Stephen E Ambrose

Advertisement