Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Valhallapt wrote: »

It came in 1k less that the online vrt tool was suggesting,

Nice one:)

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

Valhallapt wrote: »
    My car was 7 months old so it was sent for a manual valuation, took a week and got a text informing me to go back to the nct Centre.

It came in 1k less that the online vrt tool was suggesting, delighted with myself, got plates there and then too.

Lucky - mine went up by 450 and then on the actual day went down by 34 - strange

• Registered Users Posts: 6,623 ✭✭✭deezell

I'd have tore out without the plates before they decided it should be more. Cars that need manual process could go either way. For cars with an existing Stat code, sometimes it's less because you weren't accurate with data. Month of reg, milage, correct car spec. Sometimes it's less because they make an error, (tee-hee). Naturally, you're honour bound to point it out and pony up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Hoping someone can help with this. RAC are inspecting a car I'm looking at on Friday and if all goes well I'll fly across on Monday morning to complete the deal using Revolut.

I've got €000's in my BOI account I want to transfer into my Revolut a/c today but I've read in this thread there's a max online daily limit and the best approach is to go into the bank and get them to move it across in one go. So that's what I did an hour ago but the BOI branch weren't sure of the process and we got nowhere.

I tried getting in touch with Revolut but their app support is busy.

Can someone please explain what the correct process is? What do I need to tell the bank?

Thank you.

madds wrote: »
    Hoping someone can help with this. RAC are inspecting a car I'm looking at on Friday and if all goes well I'll fly across on Monday morning to complete the deal using Revolut.

I've got €000's in my BOI account I want to transfer into my Revolut a/c today but I've read in this thread there's a max online daily limit and the best approach is to go into the bank and get them to move it across in one go. So that's what I did an hour ago but the BOI branch weren't sure of the process and we got nowhere.

Can someone please explain what the correct process is? What do I need to tell the bank?

Thank you.

I did that, it cost a bit, but the money was transferred the next day, i needed to do it as i had to have the money in my Revolut account the next day. They had me fill out a form for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Debub wrote: »
    I did that, it cost a bit, but the money was transferred the next day, i needed to do it as i had to have the money in my Revolut account the next day. They had me fill out a form for it.

Thanks. Any idea of the cost they charged you?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Larry Bee

I'm thinking of buying a Skoda Octavia in the UK and bringing it over. The dealer is based on the south coast but have an offer for free nationwide delivery. Has anyone used this sort of thing before? If we did arrange to meet somewhere, is there a way I can still pay on my Revolut card?

Thanks. Any idea of the cost they charged you?

I think that it was e25 - it was called as the same day transfer (next day if you do in the afternoon)

Thank you.
    Banks! The customers knows more than their staff do. You need to give them the account no and sort code of your Revolut a/c, and tell them it's a euro account, or else the frs will convert it to sterling thank you very much at their ****e rate. Don't listen to any guff about it being a UK transfer, UK are in the EU and are perfectly entitled to run euro accounts. There should be zero charge for this, eurozone euro transfers are free. You've dodged a bullet, make sure you dont get hit by the rebound.

If, and only if, they can't guarantee the money is electronically moved at that instant or the same day without paying a fee ( not a % commission), of somthing like €20?, then pay it, and give instructions to close your account. It costs them nothing to move euros to euros accounts

• Advertisement

Quick question re: Transferwise

I've initiated the payment, locked in the rate (with an expiry date) and paid the bulk of the funds, just waiting on the all-clear from the mechanic on Wednesday before I pay the last couple of thousand and complete the transfer before collecting the car at the weekend.

If there's a delay with the mechanic or if there's an issue with the car that can't be resolved before the expiry date, do the funds just sit there in your account or do you have to start again?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭wassie

$hifty, your post is a bit confusing. Have you only paid money to Transferwise or have you made a payment to the car vendor? Can you spell out more clearly what you have done?

As an aside, I bought a car in UK last week with Transferwise and highly recommend their Borderless account - essentially gives you a UK bank account, allowing me to make a online bank transfer instantly whilst at the dealer to collect. Avoids the hassle of limits of other payment methods (eg chip & PIN), bank drafts etc. Again, all currency conversions done at the mid-market rate.

wassie wrote: »
    $hifty, your post is a bit confusing. Have you only paid money to Transferwise or have you made a payment to the car vendor? Can you spell out more clearly what you have done?

As an aside, I bought a car in UK last week with Transferwise and highly recommend their Borderless account - essentially gives you a UK bank account, allowing me to make a online bank transfer instantly whilst at the dealer to collect. Avoids the hassle of limits of other payment methods (eg chip & PIN), bank drafts etc. Again, all currency conversions done at the mid-market rate.
    Are you saying you don't have to phone transferwise to push the money to a pre determined UK account. Can you specify dealer account and sort code on the spot and by an app online? It's only a step below revolut if so. Are there any sliding scale for lodgements and exchange in a month, i.e, additional fees over the mid market if you exceed a certain exchange amount in a month. And what happens to excess, if you lodge €20k to £, and spend €18k, any penalties for bringing it home in euros.

wassie wrote: »

I set up the transfer on my transferwise account using the dealer's bank details. Let's say the total is €15,000. In order to do this amount without going into the bank itself and paying crazy fees, I've been paying it in 3 installments of €5,000 to the transferwise Deutsche bank account using the reference code provided by TW.

It is my understanding that when i set up the transfer, I 'locked in' the rate at that time. This rate is then valid for 3 days. Once I've transferred the €15k within that time, I can let them know that it has been done, and they will forward the equivalent amount in £stg to the dealer. The question I'm asking is, what happens if I don't manage to pay the €15k within that time?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

Hi Folks,

Will be picking up a car on Thursday in Derry,

what will I use for proof of date of entry ?

Also do after market alloys affect VRT ?

Thanks,

Chijj

Chijj wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Thanks,

Chijj
    Would sales receipt not do, that would be the earliest possible date of entry. If you wanted to show a later date, maybe a Toll receipt for the UK plate if you have toll account, but they can't or won't argue with receipt/invoice. You'd save a months road Tax if you waited till Next Tuesday 1st, but who wants to wait..
    Unless the alloys are gold plated, or real in your face, VRT guy is not going to worry. It has to have wheels of some sort, unless original car had cheap steel wheels and that was in the online spec for the car. Don't worry about it.

Hi Folks,

Thanks,

Chijj

Invoice will be fine provided its northern registered. If its uk registered try get a toll receipt along with your invoice.

Alloys won't affect the price at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭087brain21

Hi Folks,

Thanks,

Chijj

I got my car in strabane and it was UK mainland reg and didn't need proof of entry when it came south.

i actually had it a month and a half down south as i was away with work during the month you have to pay the VRT

All i asked was for the garage to date the invoice later than i brought it off them and no problem at the VRT office

If you got the car on the UK mainland they always ask for ferry tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Chijj

Thanks everyone, really appreciate the guidance on this

• Registered Users Posts: 7 paddypow123

Folks in a bind.
    I brought a car in from uk a few weeks back and only got section 6 of the V5C (stupid I know).
    I tried to vrt it but no luck obviously. Given up on dealer helping there useless.
    I called DVLA and they said fill in v62, send section 6 and they will issue me a new v5c as the car is currently unregistered so it will only be 2 to 4 weeks. Dealer has said they informed DVLA it’s exported now after asking them not to. Person on phone at DVLA may not have been aware the car is exported providing dealer did inform them at time of the call. I was planning to try registering it in my name and using friends address in uk by sending the v62 form and section 6 to a friend in uk and have them forward it to DVLA with a uk stamp in the hope not to arise any suspicion. I see post # 7717 on page 515 of this thread where similar attempt to do this was rejected. But that was using a dealers address. Have I any hope of getting it, or would I be better registering it in my friends name as they actually live in uk. Any informed advice or help on this appreciated.
    Or do I need to reimport the car to uk/ni.

2nd question is the gent at vrt office said penalties are 1% of vrt per day. Others say on here it’s 0.1% and vrt.ie web site are saying it’s 5% of Omsp. What’s the true penalty rate? and is it applicable for every day from date of import or every day after the 30 days expire.
    Thx in advance.

• Advertisement

2nd question is the gent at vrt office said penalties are 1% of vrt per day. Others say on here it’s 0.1% and vrt.ie web site are saying it’s 5% of Omsp. What’s the true penalty rate? and is it applicable for every day from date of import or every day after the 30 days expire.
    Thx in advance.

Its 0.1% .

Soon as you go over the 30 days you will be charged 31× 0.1%of the VRT amount. So you can obviously calculate the amount of days yourself

You can certainly try appeal the penalties with revenue after you pay. A lot of people do(I dont know how it works out for most though)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

If it's not marked as exported (yet) you can go down the V62 route at your friends address and have him send the new V5C. to you. If it is marked as exported, you'll have to get your friend to go through the import (to the UK) procedure and get a V5C that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

just done uk address but i needed a 25stg postal order to go with v62 but got v5. Will tell you next week about another one that they have flagged as exported ..as still waiting

Isambard, do you know if I should use my name to register the car or use my friend's name, I paid the tax on the car, so does that also have a bearing on it. Thx for getting back on. Anyone else got any previous experience with this. Issue see my post below

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

I'm currently on the ferry to Belfast having bought the missus a car in Glasgow this morning. The salesman had never sold a car to be exported before so there was a bit of confusion over which part of the v5 I was to take, even though we had discussed it on the phone.

All sorted now though. He kept the export part and gave me the rest. And if it wasn't for this thread I would be on my way home with the wrong documents. Thanks guys and girls.

Isambard, do you know if I should use my name to register the car or use my friend's name, I paid the tax on the car, so does that also have a bearing on it. Thx for getting back on. Anyone else got any previous experience with this. Issue see my post below

They won't send it to a Irish address Paddy, if your friend is living in the UK get it sent to them. Hopefully it wont take too long

I understand the uk address thing Michelle, I was asking about the name used on the v62 form I.e. use mine or use his name, his name can be traced to the uk address if DVLA check where as mine can’t. P.s thanks for vrt penalties answer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I would use your friends name, although I don't suppose it matters too much. They just want a V5C

Does anyone know if I can reimport a mainland uk car to the north and then reapply for the v5c?

Also Is there a simple step by step guide on how to do this anywhere. I looked at uk gov site and it’s hard to follow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭All in all

Isambard wrote: »

I would use your friends name, although I don't suppose it matters too much. They just want a V5C

Does all this add another owner to the car?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement