Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭deezell

Debub wrote: »
    deezell wrote: »
    I wonder what the fail rate is at the VRT desk? Two in front of me both floundered over issues, missing docs, only brought cash, etc. If you're registering car on behalf of wife say, you need their ID, pps, signed permission note, bank statements etc. They won't accept car insurance documents as ID, even the one with her name, address and the UK reg on it sent out by the ìnsurance co. Fortunately I brought extras.

VRT today and registering the car in Wife's name, but she is going along as well - and have the docs as per my previous post (#8427) - so you think we should be ok?
    Yes, but pay attention to the VRTVPD -Dippetty-Do form. If you bought the car, and receipt, ferry tickets etc in your name, you have to fill in your details in the middle and hers at the bottom. Your man will look after you, they're very patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

... you have to fill in your details in the middle and hers at the bottom. ...

I had everything to register in the wife's name and this caught me out also, it wasn't 100% clear to me who had to sign it.

As you say they were very patient and processed everything else and I just had to pop back the next day with the VRTVPD signed by herself.

The current OMSP was approx 4k overstated to I've sent VRT appeal in. Will report back on it once I get a response...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

So VRT is today, have:

MOT cert
    V5C
    Ferry email printout with car Reg on it
    VRTVPD2 form
    Payslip printout showing PPS
    P60 printout showing PPS
    Bank account statement (Aug) showing address
    Credit Card statement showing address
    Driving license showing address
    Invoice from Dealer

Does that cover it?
    OK, that's not too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

Ok - so just back from the VRT place. Took barely 20 minutes, 10 of which was spent trying to find the VIN number on the chassis itself (they wouldn't look at the one on the front windscreen or the door jamb). Pretty straight forward - wife had gone along, I had got the invoice done in her name as well and her name address and PPS number and signature on the VRTVPD2 form.

NCT - I had thought that I would automatically get a NCT disc right there, but no. I have to download a form from the website and send the MOT and that form by post for the NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

Debub, question - do you mean you can "swap" the remaining validiity on MOT for an NCT up to that expriry date?

• Advertisement

eastie17 wrote: »
    Debub, question - do you mean you can "swap" the remaining validiity on MOT for an NCT up to that expriry date?
    Yes - as far as I know. EU roadworthiness certs are recognised within the EU. I had my dealer do a fresh MOT the day before I took the car off them

[Removed Image]

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/The-NCT--Recognition-Certs/

for some reason I cant paste pics here - it got removed

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

Bought a car for my son last week, well it was mainly his money but had to add a bit and do the deal for him. Have a good friend over there who test drove the car, did the deal on the phone with him in the dealer.
    Eirtrans are transporting from Leicester to East Cork for 350 and its on the lorry now.
    Panicked a bit over V5C but dealer gave it whole to driver and Eirtrans have confirmed they have it. with invoice, Thats the only downside to not going yourself, getting that into your hands. I think but in terms of time and cost the transport option appears well worth it.

Couldnt get VRT inspection for 2 weeks, not available online but once I called them I had it in 24 hours.

Does anyone know if they'll accept the printed PDF version of the MOT cert? I didn't get the original of the dealer, just the printout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Does anyone know if they'll accept the printed PDF version of the MOT cert? I didn't get the original of the dealer, just the printout.

Yes, Done it a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

I wonder what the fail rate is at the VRT desk? Two in front of me both floundered over issues, missing docs, only brought cash, etc. If you're registering car on behalf of wife say, you need their ID, pps, signed permission note, bank statements etc. They won't accept car insurance documents as ID, even the one with her name, address and the UK reg on it sent out by the ìnsurance co. Fortunately I brought extras.

It can be as high as 1/4 of the appointments. The majority of people manage to scrape together everything they need while some would come in with the Vin wrote on a cornflakes box and expect it to be registered :):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

Have a look at my experience in post #8336.

Give it a go, maybe it was the person I got on the day but it seems there's different rules in the nct office depending, presumably, on who you get to talk to.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭bamayang

Is there companys who will do the inspection for you before you go over? Could you justify buying a car on their recommendation, and just have it shipped home?

bamayang wrote: »
    Is there companys who will do the inspection for you before you go over? Could you justify buying a car on their recommendation, and just have it shipped home?

Dekra
    RAC
    AA
    Yes - that's what most of us rely on - unless the car is still under warranty and the warranty can be transferred over to Ireland. Though they will not recommend you buy it or not to buy - they will just give a very detailed report on the inspection that they will carry out

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Lemonheadlenny

Hello everyone. New to Boards today in desperate need of help.

I bought a car in Scotland at the start of August from a reputable dealer. I was given the Section 10 of the V5C only and stupidly didn’t know to get the rest. When I tried to VRT the car, I was informed of the necessity for the full form. In the meantime, the dealer had sent the DVLA the Section 11 Notification of Permanent Export. I contacted the dealer which still had the V5C and said it would post it to me. They scanned me a copy and then posted it on September 3. It hasn’t arrived and it seems it has been lost in the post. I have been on to the VRT people in the revenue and the DVLA and I cannot seem to find any solution. I’m at my wits’ end!

Any assistance would be hugely massively appreciated! I know I am a moron!

David

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

If it's marked as exported on the DVLA records, the only option seems to be to re-register it in the UK (as an import so to speak) at a UK address and then , when the new V5C is received (at the UK address) use that to re-register in Ireland. That's assuming you have a UK address you can use, friends or family...)

The dealer has really screwed you up here. Make sure they know that and that it is going to cost you late VRT penalties almost certainly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

Has anyone appealed, successfully or not, a VRT charge? Felt mine was above OMSP by about €1-2k, wouldn't make a huge amount of difference in the tax but just curious if it was done by anyone, how arduous a task it was and if it was successful/what kind of hoops the put you through during the process.

Yes - as far as I know. EU roadworthiness certs are recognised within the EU. I had my dealer do a fresh MOT the day before I took the car off them

[Removed Image]

https://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/Your-Vehicle-/The-NCT--Recognition-Certs/

for some reason I cant paste pics here - it got removed

saw this on the NCT website today:

Customers please note that in the event of the UK leaving the EU Unexpired UK MOT Certificates will not be transferable or accepted after 31 October 2019

Ok - so just back from the VRT place. Took barely 20 minutes, 10 of which was spent trying to find the VIN number on the chassis itself (they wouldn't look at the one on the front windscreen or the door jamb). Pretty straight forward - wife had gone along, I had got the invoice done in her name as well and her name address and PPS number and signature on the VRTVPD2 form.

NCT - I had thought that I would automatically get a NCT disc right there, but no. I have to download a form from the website and send the MOT and that form by post for the NCT.

While going the papers during the VRT process yesterday - realised that the car was originally bought/registered on the 19th of September as well - nice coincidence :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Brenty

Hi folks,

Going over in 2 weeks to either car basein bristol or car Giant in london. They seem to be good options and have very good ratings. They so their own checks in the cars. Have people had good experiences with them? Also would you need to get an AA or RAC check if buying from obe of these companies?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Brenty wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Going over in 2 weeks to either car basein bristol or car Giant in london. They seem to be good options and have very good ratings. They so their own checks in the cars. Have people had good experiences with them? Also would you need to get an AA or RAC check if buying from obe of these companies?

Cheers

Both are what’s known as car supermarkets so while they would do some checks their main aim is to shift cars. I prefer to buy from some of the non supermarket dealers as there is usually a little haggle room on the price and you don’t get pushy salesmen trying to gain more commission by selling you extras that you don’t need.

I’ve heard of a few people who have bought cars there and had to go back afterwards with a few issues, nothing major it must be said but doesn’t really suit the model of exporting the same day to IRL. For any big purchase I will always get someone to take a look as you don’t want the hassle of having to bring a car back over once you have it home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Bought a few cars in Cargiant over the years, never had an issue.

Has anyone appealed, successfully or not, a VRT charge? Felt mine was above OMSP by about €1-2k, wouldn't make a huge amount of difference in the tax but just curious if it was done by anyone, how arduous a task it was and if it was successful/what kind of hoops the put you through during the process.

I sent off my appeal last week. Car 4k over current car OMSP.

I sent off a letter with the breakdown of why I didn't agree with the OMSP, what I thought the Vrt should be and evidence of similar spec cars currently for sale on Irish Market. Also included invoice for car.

I'll let you know how it goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Put your case forward and see what happens. You wont gain anything by not trying. Loads of people successfully appeal the OMSP and get refunds on the VRT paid. Depends on the person you get really and how well you argue your case?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭wassie

Process is outlined here if you havent already seen it.

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/guide-to-vrt/appeals/index.aspx

In my experience, Revenue are quite reasonable as I have been successful in all 3 of my appeals. As long as you being not too greedy and can justify it with a few ads you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

AmberGold wrote: »
    Bought a few cars in Cargiant over the years, never had an issue.

Did you ever manage to get the admin fee waived, or the price reduced by chance? I'm looking at something they have at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You will not haggle anything off the price of the car in the likes of Car Giant anymore than you would haggle the price on a pint of milk in Tesco. You pay the windscreen price for the car plus documentation fee, generally their cars are priced cheaper than similar ones locally anyway because they take away the other things that regular dealers include in their prices. They will try and upsell you dealer things like warranty, valeting, etc for additional money if you want them. That's how they operate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

bazz26 wrote: »
    You will not haggle anything off the price of the car in the likes of Car Giant anymore than you would haggle the price on a pint of milk in Tesco. You pay the windscreen price for the car plus documentation fee, generally their cars are priced cheaper than similar ones locally anyway because they take away the other things that regular dealers include in their prices. They will try and upsell you dealer things like warranty, valeting, etc for additional money if you want them. That's how they operate.

Thanks for that. I had been enquiring about a car with carshop.co.uk, and they said they'd waiver the admin charge as I would be taking it out of the country and changing the ownership over myself, so they didn't need to charge me to do that

• Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

bamayang wrote: »

I got an AA inspection and the report they give you is very good. They phone and give you a verbal report then email a PDF which goes into more detail. I'd be happy to buy based on it. Stuff is noticed like mats missing, evidence of repair of electrics in the back, boot misalighed and evidence of repair under the back bumper. Photos of any scratches or any oil leaks, photos of the service history and computer fault codes.

First car I looked at had a good few things wrong with it, even though the dealer assured me it was fine and had great reviews everywhere. I pulled out of that deal. Looking at another one, report is organised for tomorrow. Both reports cost me about £200 each, so not cheap.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I got an AA inspection and the report they give you is very good. They phone and give you a verbal report then email a PDF which goes into more detail. I'd be happy to buy based on it. Stuff is noticed like mats missing, evidence of repair of electrics in the back, boot misalighed and evidence of repair under the back bumper. Photos of any scratches or any oil leaks, photos of the service history and computer fault codes.

First car I looked at had a good few things wrong with it, even though the dealer assured me it was fine and had great reviews everywhere. I pulled out of that deal. Looking at another one, report is organised for tomorrow. Both reports cost me about £200 each, so not cheap.

Agree - quite comprehensive reports. I got it done by Dekra and it cost £185. (I did read somewhere that AA actually uses Dekra for their inspections, not sure if that's for all AA inspections)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Valhallapt

My car was 7 months old so it was sent for a manual valuation, took a week and got a text informing me to go back to the nct Centre.

It came in 1k less that the online vrt tool was suggesting, delighted with myself, got plates there and then too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement