Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭squirrel6767

madds wrote: »
    Onto Revolut's live chat here and they're saying the transfer can take from 30 mins to up to 1 working day. All of the accounts I have read on here about using Revolut have been very positive and all payments went through same day, in minutes, which is why I chose to go the same route. Can't understand why they're now saying this payment needs 1 working day to process.

That is the sort of situation I want to avoid when I travel over on Friday. Let us know how things go.
    Can you confirm if you did a Bank Transfer (by adding a new beneficiary with the dealers bank details) or did you just give the debit card details ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Hi. I'm in the UK at the moment completing a deal for 530e. Transferred the balance (~30k) to the dealership's account via Revolut at 15:09. Seemed to go through ok - no red flags in the Revolut app. It's now 15:42 and I haven't received a confirmation email regarding the transfer and obviously the dealership haven't seen it hit their account yet either.

We did a £1 test last week and that worked fine, it was transferred within 10-15 minutes.

Should I be getting worried?

Check your spam emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Onto Revolut's live chat here and they're saying the transfer can take from 30 mins to up to 1 working day. All of the accounts I have read on here about using Revolut have been very positive and all payments went through same day, in minutes, which is why I chose to go the same route. Can't understand why they're now saying this payment needs 1 working day to process.

Sounds annoying when you're in the dealers and get that issue. I wonder if it's the amount, over a certain amount triggers an extra safeguard/check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭wassie

I prefer the Transferwise's Borderless Account (EUR/UK/US/AUS) as my payment method. Paid doing an online bank transfer ~£20K - received instantly via UK faster payment system. Debit card can be used for purchases under £10K.

For all other incidentals paid in GBPs, I use my N26 debit card, which I basically use as my current account, so no need to worry about doing conversions/transfers etc, as payments are converted at the mid-market rate (like Revolut).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

That is the sort of situation I want to avoid when I travel over on Friday. Let us know how things go.
    Can you confirm if you did a Bank Transfer (by adding a new beneficiary with the dealers bank details) or did you just give the debit card details ?

Can confirm it was a bank trasfer with all dealer's bank details included.

The test I ran with the dealer last week for £1 was executed at 3:30pm and I received an email from Revolut confirming the process was underway 2 mins later. Ten mins later I received a second email saying the transfer was complete and 5 mins later the dealer confirmed the £1 was in their account.

The transfer I did today was executed at 3:09pm a full 20 mins earlier than the test. I can see in the app that the transfer as a "Pending" status so I've got to back to the dealer tmw. Got through to Support and they said a transfer can take between 30 mins and a full working day. I explained the only reason I used Revolut was because I understood payment was virtually instant. She confimed the transfer was not blocked on their side.

A night in a Premier Inn and food expenses and another day away from work and the advantages of using Revolut are shot. Back to the dealer in the morning and hopefully the transfer is complete and I can be on my way to get the 2:10 ferry from Holyhead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭deezell

A lot depends on the dealer bank, and how they transact outside of office hours. Revolut use the newest and fastest interbank system, receiving bank might not, just buffer incoming payments at certain times. It might be advisable to ask revolut if some are slower than others to process receipts. Sure, why would they be in a hurry to give it to their own customers. TSB here took 2 days to move a few grand to AIB, both accounts in my name.
    I suppose the dealer wouldn't accept instant payment by debit card machine? Revolut not limited to paltry amounts like say AIB debit card.

Can confirm it was a bank trasfer with all dealer's bank details included.

The test I ran with the dealer last week for £1 was executed at 3:30pm and I received an email from Revolut confirming the process was underway 2 mins later. Ten mins later I received a second email saying the transfer was complete and 5 mins later the dealer confirmed the £1 was in their account.

The transfer I did today was executed at 3:09pm a full 20 mins earlier than the test. I can see in the app that the transfer as a "Pending" status so I've got to back to the dealer tmw. Got through to Support and they said a transfer can take between 30 mins and a full working day. I explained the only reason I used Revolut was because I understood payment was virtually instant. She confimed the transfer was not blocked on their side.

A night in a Premier Inn and food expenses and another day away from work and the advantages of using Revolut are shot. Back to the dealer in the morning and hopefully the transfer is complete and I can be on my way to get the 2:10 ferry from Holyhead.

Just reading around and it might be possible that you breached a £20k limit with the Faster Payment transfer mechanism. Going above £20k raverts to slower CHAPS system which can still happen within same day but only if transacted before 3pm.

https://supportcentre.natwest.com/Searchable/1026802582/What-is-a-Faster-Payment.htm

CHAPS payments
    CHAPS (Clearing House Automated Payment System) is a same-day electronic payment system between banks. Provided that you make a payment before 3pm, CHAPS guarantees payment on the same business day within the UK.

Might be off on this but it could be the reason why you encountered this and others didn't.

Possible Squirrel. I'm back in the dealership now, hopefully I'll get confirmation shortly after 9am. Dirty wet day over here, want to get on the road to Holyhead before 10 so I can take it nice and handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Any chance of a link to the one you bought. I've pretty much looked at all the msport ones on 17 and 18 plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hey peeps,

Whats the best route to come home from London with a car,

Pembroke is a shorter drive but the ferry is longer.
    Holyhead is a longer drive but shorter ferry but of course there is the horrendous traffic around Birmingham that you have a chance of getting stuck in.

I live about 2 hours from Rosslare and 90 minutes from Dublin port

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,224 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hey peeps,

Holyhead is a longer drive but shorter ferry but of course there is the horrendous traffic around Birmingham that you have a chance of getting stuck in.

M40 then M42 around to M6/M6Toll then M53 through to A55. I used to do this 20 times a year. It’s generally the easiest route. Try and use online maps as you are travelling to alert you to breakdowns/diversions. Cannot keep a static route. Sometimes you need to divert (eg across country to Nantwich to avoid M6 congestion).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

wassie wrote: »

For all other incidentals paid in GBPs, I use my N26 debit card, which I basically use as my current account, so no need to worry about doing conversions/transfers etc, as payments are converted at the mid-market rate (like Revolut).

AFAIK N26 used Mastercard's exchange rate and the mid-market rate like Revolut.

mickdw wrote: »
    Any chance of a link to the one you bought. I've pretty much looked at all the msport ones on 17 and 18 plate.

Dealer took the ad down last week as soon as I put a deposit on her Mick. However, here's 14 cars still available from UsedBMW.co.uk where I originally mine....

Does this link work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Hey peeps,

Fishguard to Rosslare is shorter than from Pembroke, but slightly further to drive.

Well I was sent an appointment today by text for the 16 of this month in Ballymount. Rang last Thursday. Not bad.

Possible Squirrel. I'm back in the dealership now, hopefully I'll get confirmation shortly after 9am. Dirty wet day over here, want to get on the road to Holyhead before 10 so I can take it nice and handy.

Madds - I presume the money reached the dealer overnight?
    I want be in and out on Friday so thinking I now need to take a leap of faith and transfer the money the day before I travel. I have had a relation give it a good look over so not worried about getting a dud. It's Carshop too so not likely to run off with my cash.

It would be great to have more certainty about the speed of transfer from Revolut or others like transferwise so one can indeed see the car, pay the money and head for the ferry.

This Friday? You also run the risk of ferries being cancelled due to poor weather potentially also.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 crazyman79

Had VRT appointment today. Used VRT calculator before going in and got the exact car model, version, spec, mileage etc and got the amount of VRT payable. Have to wait to hear back from revenue as the car is under 2 years old and told revenue need to do a manual calculation for the car. Has anyone else had this happen to them and if so did it differ much from the revenue VRT calculator amount? Surely if you get the exact model and the exact details the amount payable should be correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

crazyman79 wrote: »
    Had VRT appointment today. Used VRT calculator before going in and got the exact car model, version, spec, mileage etc and got the amount of VRT payable. Have to wait to hear back from revenue as the car is under 2 years old and told revenue need to do a manual calculation for the car. Has anyone else had this happen to them and if so did it differ much from the revenue VRT calculator amount? Surely if you get the exact model and the exact details the amount payable should be correct?

Yea, this is standard for higher end vehicles under 2 years old (audi,bmw,merc etc) you should hear back by the end of the week ... revenue will be checking if there are "extras" which could bump up the price.

Madds - I presume the money reached the dealer overnight?
    I want be in and out on Friday so thinking I now need to take a leap of faith and transfer the money the day before I travel. I have had a relation give it a good look over so not worried about getting a dud. It's Carshop too so not likely to run off with my cash.

It would be great to have more certainty about the speed of transfer from Revolut or others like transferwise so one can indeed see the car, pay the money and head for the ferry.

Yes, payment went through by 9:45am the next day (Tuesday). Once the dealer was happy the payment was there he gave me the keys and I was on my way.

• Advertisement

Yes, payment went through by 9:45am the next day (Tuesday). Once the dealer was happy the payment was there he gave me the keys and I was on my way.

Thanks for letting me know. Good luck with the new car.

I did a Bank transfer (£16k) last night and it is still showing as Pending on the Revolut side (14 hours later). Confirmed with Revolut agent that it is a processing delay on their side and that their commitment to process a transfer is 1 day. Made the point that I went premium and should have had a Turbo transfer but no joy. Just waiting and hoping that they process it and then there is no delay on the receiving side.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stevedog

Hi All..put a deposit on i40 earlier and due to pick up next week.
    Just looking for a definitive list or what i need or don't need regarding documentation..and also peoples opinion on best way to transfer balance (currently looking at currency fair)

Thank in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭flanzer

Thanks for letting me know. Good luck with the new car.

I did a Bank transfer (£16k) last night and it is still showing as Pending on the Revolut side (14 hours later). Confirmed with Revolut agent that it is a processing delay on their side and that their commitment to process a transfer is 1 day. Made the point that I went premium and should have had a Turbo transfer but no joy. Just waiting and hoping that they process it and then there is no delay on the receiving side.

I did £13k this morning, and still processing. Turbo Transfer me arse! What are people experiences with Turbo Transfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Debub

flanzer wrote: »
    I did £13k this morning, and still processing. Turbo Transfer me arse! What are people experiences with Turbo Transfer?

that's strange tho, must be temp issues as mine £12K went through in a few minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

stevedog wrote: »
    Hi All..put a deposit on i40 earlier and due to pick up next week.
    Just looking for a definitive list or what i need or don't need regarding documentation..and also peoples opinion on best way to transfer balance (currently looking at currency fair)

Thank in advance

Full original V5 reg doc( not the slips off the side, the full thing)
    VrtVpd2 form, get it on NCT website
    Invoice/ receipt
    Ferry docs
    Proof of ID
    Proof of PPS(card/revenue doc etc.)
    Proof of address ... hard copy posted to you utility bill OR bank statement, dated under 6 months or 2 online print out ones - if doing online ones, one must be a bank statement and the other a utility bill.

Can I register the car in my partner's name, or does she have to be present?

pablo128 wrote: »
    Can I register the car in my partner's name, or does she have to be present?

You can (I did it in my wife's name) - I had the car dealer make the invoice in her name and took her with me for the VRT and took her PPS and ID proof as well - if she (or he) is not going with you then you will need a letter of authorisation for you to be able to do the VRT on their behalf

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Is there any need to send anything to DVLA? i.e. I think it's section 11 of the v5c, notification of permanent export.

JoseJones wrote: »
    Is there any need to send anything to DVLA? i.e. I think it's section 11 of the v5c, notification of permanent export.

Not necc I think - I didn't - my dealer was ok with that, said not needed. In case you pay tax on the car and need a refund, you might need to send it

• Advertisement

To get back a refund on any UK Motor tax (you will lose the first month if you send it back straight away), you will to send the notification and a cover letter with an address to send the refund cheque to. I sent it back any way for another car that I didn't tax, just so DVLA could update their records.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement