Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

i once taxed a car on the last day of the month and drove to the ferry and got a full refund, in the days of discs that was though, issued at the Post Ofice

• Registered Users Posts: 24 crazyman79

deezell wrote: »
    It does if the dealer insists on you paying £80+ for 6 months road tax for typical automatic, at least with the export slip returned to the DVLA you can get a refund as they have a record. For low emissions cars of 100-110 it's not worth the effort, but it's still £20. If your card is accepted for standing order then you can cancel.

Think i will just try without it. It's been in a garage for a few weeks and I've just purchased and exporting with a ferry ticket and proof of purchase etc

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭starWave

If I'm importing a car that's a year old but has 5700kms on the clock, I assume I'll have to pay VAT once its imported? Or if I drive it from UK, it will be over the 6000km limit, so I would avoid the VAT? When is the measurement taken for VAT purposes?

starWave wrote: »
    If I'm importing a car that's a year old but has 5700kms on the clock, I assume I'll have to pay VAT once its imported? Or if I drive it from UK, it will be over the 6000km limit, so I would avoid the VAT? When is the measurement taken for VAT purposes?

I found a VRT guide for revenue recently and I'm pretty sure it was 6000km at time of VRT appointment. But need to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Conchy

Just bought a car and wondering when I bring it to NCT centre for the VRT do I have to pay it there and then or can i come back another time and pay it?

• Advertisement

starWave wrote: »

Think this covers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Conchy wrote: »
    Just bought a car and wondering when I bring it to NCT centre for the VRT do I have to pay it there and then or can i come back another time and pay it?

You have 30 days to pay it and register the car on Irish plates from the date the car came into the country. Any later than that and you will be liable for VRT penalties.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Conchy

bazz26 wrote: »
    You have 30 days to pay it and register the car on Irish plates from the date the car came into the country. Any later than that and you will be liable for VRT penalties.

Yes but I'm wondering if I bring it to the NCT centre tomorrow and they tell me the VRT due is €2000 do I have to pay that there and then or could I come back another day to pay it once it is within the 30 days of coming into the country?

Yes you can come back another day. You won't get your Irish reg until you settle payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

Any names of a good dealer in England

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭deezell

beaver111 wrote: »
    Any names of a good dealer in England

Phil Mitchell's in the Eastend of London. No dodgy motors, honest!
    You can almost tell from the images of premises and below average prices what kind of operator you're dealing with. I have bought from main dealers and more boutique style private garages. The latter tend to be in leafy burroughs, would know their local customers personally, and would be wary of stocking anything which would damage their rep. Prices might seem above average, but such dealers usually have highly specced private owned cars, which is one of the main reasons for Importing. Do your homework. Read autotrader reviews. Make sure you're comparing like with like. Get all the details about the car, full spec, extras, including MOT if more than 3 years old. Private owed, or company car. I was far more impressed with the stock in MSD in Crewe than I was with some overpriced stuff in a main Mercedes dealership. If you buy from a back lane dealer, you've only yourself to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Conchy wrote: »
    Yes but I'm wondering if I bring it to the NCT centre tomorrow and they tell me the VRT due is €2000 do I have to pay that there and then or could I come back another day to pay it once it is within the 30 days of coming into the country?

Yea, just make your appointment qand you can pay anytime within the 30 days. The price can go up or down anytime though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Hi all/

I’ve read the original post on here.

I’m living in Dublin now since May 2019. I did have a job down here in 2018 for 4 months but I was travelling from the north.
    My car is a northern reg, private registration which I will miss dearly! But understand I have to get an Irish reg to comply with living here.

I’ve did the various VRT calculation checks online. I’ve always bought cars from England, and imported them home to Tyrone for £250.00 - great saving.
    I’m not on here to bitch about the amount of money ireland charges for me to bring my northern car down and re register , VRT , NCT bla bla whatever.

I found a document online on revenue - exemption from paying VRT on an imported vehicle - however I’ve refrained from filling this form out and taking a gamble. It says you must do this within 30 days of entering the state- which I’ve obviously now passed, I was going to chance it anyway, but figured that they’d just look up the M50 toll system and probably pick me up from there. Then I HAVE to pay full VRT, which is an unnecessary cost.

At the minute the way I look at it - (touch wood) I haven’t been bothered about it or stopped, so I’ll keep going in my MK6 2013 CW Golf until I’m stopped. Why should I fork up a small fortune when thousands of other northern cars drive around Dublin undetected ?

But I am also conscious that I’ve heard rumors about customs starting to follow northern cars to places of work etc and impounding the vehicle until a fine is paid.
    I have my own apartment down here now as a homeowner and Irish citizen from birth am I able for any exemption?

What is the cheapest way to get an English car into the south and just put a southern reg on it right away?

You couldn’t buy a car in Ireland. Ridiculous market. The north is expensive enough too compared with England.

Thanks in advance.

There is no legal way around not paying VRT if you want to register a foreign car here without a VRT exemption. Your opportunity to apply for the VRT exemption went when you chose not to apply for it and took a gamble instead. You might think VRT is an unnecessary cost but the reality is that it's not something that's deemed optional because the amount seems too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

I believe you have 12 months to import your car after transfer of residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Hi all/

I’m living in Dublin now since May 2019. I did have a job down here in 2018 for 4 months but I was travelling from the north.
    My car is a northern reg, private registration which I will miss dearly! But understand I have to get an Irish reg to comply with living here.

I’ve did the various VRT calculation checks online. I’ve always bought cars from England, and imported them home to Tyrone for £250.00 - great saving.
    I’m not on here to bitch about the amount of money ireland charges for me to bring my northern car down and re register , VRT , NCT bla bla whatever.

I found a document online on revenue - exemption from paying VRT on an imported vehicle - however I’ve refrained from filling this form out and taking a gamble. It says you must do this within 30 days of entering the state- which I’ve obviously now passed, I was going to chance it anyway, but figured that they’d just look up the M50 toll system and probably pick me up from there. Then I HAVE to pay full VRT, which is an unnecessary cost.

At the minute the way I look at it - (touch wood) I haven’t been bothered about it or stopped, so I’ll keep going in my MK6 2013 CW Golf until I’m stopped. Why should I fork up a small fortune when thousands of other northern cars drive around Dublin undetected ?

But I am also conscious that I’ve heard rumors about customs starting to follow northern cars to places of work etc and impounding the vehicle until a fine is paid.
    I have my own apartment down here now as a homeowner and Irish citizen from birth am I able for any exemption?

What is the cheapest way to get an English car into the south and just put a southern reg on it right away?

You couldn’t buy a car in Ireland. Ridiculous market. The north is expensive enough too compared with England.

Thanks in advance.

TOR exemptions are different, they can take longer than the 30 days. How long do you own the car before you relocated? You will need to prove that you were living and working in the north and relocated. I wouldn't be waiting around too much longer though. Customs can and do watch people and can seize the car off you, risky not to just register it. Contact your local revenue office and sort the exemption if you're eligible.

CBear1993 said:
    Hi all/
    I’m living in Dublin now since May 2019. I did have a job down here in 2018 for 4 months but I was travelling from the North.....
    As the car is still NI registered, then technically it's not imported. Is it insured to a NI address? Do you travel back and forth to NI since moving permanently here. At what point does it be considered to be imported. When you go to the VRT office or when you're caught? Have you used the VRT calculator to see what VRT will be. For a 2013 Golf it can't be much over €1500. Just fill out the forms and turn up. Worst case you just pay VRT, but if you have evidence of 6 months NI ownership prior to May, and evidence of NI residence, then you should be OK for rebate. It's a one off and on this car only, it's not like you can profit out of it, and you won't be able to sell the Golf here for, 12 months?, if you get a rebate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,244 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Hi all/

Thanks in advance.

If you meet the requirements for a transfer of residence exemption (ie owning it for 6 months and using it normally prior to transfer of residence) then I would recommend applying for the exemption. You should have done it when you brought the car in (the 12 months is where the car stays abroad for a while but you move and bring it later), however, I know of cases in the past where Revenue has issued the TOR exemption letter in circumstances such as this. If you get it, you can go to NCTS and register as normal. The fine for late registration is a %age of the tax and thus nil if you get the exemption. You will have to disclose that the car is here and you are liable to seizure if you have it on the road in the interim.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Cheers for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 rahulbhatewara

All set now to make the trip to the UK later this week. Would really appreciate if you can help with some clarifications & final checks:

1) MOT - I believe I need a physical copy. Would it be possible to get a copy from any MOT centre on the day? (the vehicle is MOT until June 2020)

2) Invoice - The dealer (renault manchester) said they need to invoice to a UK address. Would this be ok? They will provide details of date, price and mileage.

3) I asked for a VRT appointment and they've sent me an email with all documents required. It mentions a proof of shipping. Would my ferry ticket suffice?

4) Can someone confirm if the COC (Certificate of Conformity) and CO2 emissions are already in the V5C?

5) I plan to tax the vehicle at the dealer and then drive it down to the ferry. What would I need to claim the UK tax back? Someone mentioned using direct-debit and then cancelling (I have a UK bank account).

Thanks.
    Rahul

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭All in all

All set now to make the trip to the UK later this week. Would really appreciate if you can help with some clarifications & final checks:

1) MOT - I believe I need a physical copy. Would it be possible to get a copy from any MOT centre on the day? (the vehicle is MOT until June 2020)

2) Invoice - The dealer (renault manchester) said they need to invoice to a UK address. Would this be ok? They will provide details of date, price and mileage.

3) I asked for a VRT appointment and they've sent me an email with all documents required. It mentions a proof of shipping. Would my ferry ticket suffice?

4) Can someone confirm if the COC (Certificate of Conformity) and CO2 emissions are already in the V5C?

5) I plan to tax the vehicle at the dealer and then drive it down to the ferry. What would I need to claim the UK tax back? Someone mentioned using direct-debit and then cancelling (I have a UK bank account).

Thanks.
    Rahul

If they are looking for a UK address or you sure they will give you v5c.

I was talking to a dealer today (Perry’s) seem to be a big dealer, wouldn’t sell to Irish address holder. Even if I did provide UK address they would not give me v5c.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 118 ✭✭aodomhnaill

Thanks.
    Rahul

3. no, VRT'd today, the ticket which I had is not enough as it doesn't have the Car Reg number on it. The printout from your online ferry booking does.

(they won't print anything for you, I went to the local library and printed. I'm also paperless in all bills so they also were not happy with my bank statement (it was over 7 months old) in combination with a printed ESB utility bill. The bank said my up to date estatement (BOI) will take 3 working days to issue. An online PDF editor in the library on a downloaded statement to change the date rectified this much. Please spare me the fraudulence stuff. A genuine hard copy dated ferry ticket was not accepted but a printable email is, which could be editable and done as many times as you want.)

4. The CO2 is, not sure about COC.

5. This will work for you.

A Certificate of Conformity is only needed where the car you are VRTing was never registered before in any country. As it is a used UK car with a V5C registration document you don't need a Certificate of Conformity.

• Administrators Posts: 53,659 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hi all/

Thanks in advance.

You'll be pretty much forced to re-register it once your insurance comes up for renewal.

Irish insurers will only cover a UK license for 30 days.

UK insurers will not offer a policy for a car that spends most of it's time in Ireland, and will direct you to get insurance in Ireland instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Debub

So VRT is today, have:

MOT cert
    V5C
    Ferry email printout with car Reg on it
    VRTVPD2 form
    Payslip printout showing PPS
    P60 printout showing PPS
    Bank account statement (Aug) showing address
    Credit Card statement showing address
    Driving license showing address
    Invoice from Dealer

Does that cover it?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Debub wrote: »
    So VRT is today, have:

MOT cert
    V5C
    Ferry email printout with car Reg on it
    VRTVPD2 form
    Payslip printout showing PPS
    P60 printout showing PPS
    Bank account statement (Aug) showing address
    Credit Card statement showing address
    Driving license showing address
    Invoice from Dealer

Does that cover it?

Me too......question.....what is the VRTVPD2 form????

Me too......question.....what is the VRTVPD2 form????

Its the form that you need to fill for the VRT

https://www.revenue.ie/en/importing-vehicles-duty-free-allowances/documents/vrt/form-vrtvpd2.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Debub wrote: »

Jeez, somehow I missed that! Thanks!

I wonder what the fail rate is at the VRT desk? Two in front of me both floundered over issues, missing docs, only brought cash, etc. If you're registering car on behalf of wife say, you need their ID, pps, signed permission note, bank statements etc. They won't accept car insurance documents as ID, even the one with her name, address and the UK reg on it sent out by the ìnsurance co. Fortunately I brought extras.

• Advertisement

deezell wrote: »
    I wonder what the fail rate is at the VRT desk? Two in front of me both floundered over issues, missing docs, only brought cash, etc. If you're registering car on behalf of wife say, you need their ID, pps, signed permission note, bank statements etc. They won't accept car insurance documents as ID, even the one with her name, address and the UK reg on it sent out by the ìnsurance co. Fortunately I brought extras.

VRT today and registering the car in Wife's name, but she is going along as well - and have the docs as per my previous post (#8427) - so you think we should be ok?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement