Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭eastie17

Hi all
    Another question on V5C (that document should have its own thread)
    I have a one page double sided V5c origonal document containing sections 1 through 8 and section 10.
    My understanding is that section 9 would have been used when the owner sold the car to the dealer I bought it from so anyone buying from a dealer couldnt have that
    Section 10 (New Keepers Details) I have
    Section 11 is the section to be filled out to tell the DVLA the car has been permanently exported, technically I was supposed to do this but the dealer did which should be ok I think?
    Section 12 is just terms and conditions.

Is this one page document containing sections 1 through 8 going to be ok for VRT?

I'm paranoid after reading stories here and knowing some people who have been through the process recently and been kicked back for forgetting things.
    There is such a load on the system at the moment that if you dont get it right first time you could get into a cycle of bad stuff very quickly with revenue and insurance company imposed deadlines!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

the answer is yes, the first page is all you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bigben121

For anyone who has experience using Revolut.

If the account is frozen and they request Proof for “source of funds” does this occur at the stage of topping up by a large amount or when attempting to transfer a large amount?

Secondly does Revolut bank transfer work instantly on the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

bigben121 wrote: »

If the account is frozen and they request Proof for “source of funds” does this occur at the stage of topping up by a large amount or when attempting to transfer a large amount?

You can go in to chat and request to verify source of funds. You should do this before your transfer. The verification can take up to 3 days after you upload your documents.

Cannot get a VRT booking anywhere east of the Shannon. What's the protocol? Book one then keep checking to see if you can swap it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Ring them and ask them to put you on a cancellation waiting list. That or keep checking every day for cancellations yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

Cannot get a VRT booking anywhere east of the Shannon. What's the protocol? Book one then keep checking to see if you can swap it?

Keep checking online every few hours that’s where I got mine. They put up cancellations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

It took me 12 days to get a reservation in Cork and by time it was inspected the car was in the state 37 days.

Phone them up and they will put you on the reserve list and note that you have requested an inspection. After a week or so you will get a text with your appointment.

The delay was pain with my insurance as it was only valid 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Marcusm wrote: »
    It’s not just the late fees; the VRT would be based on the 2015 value if they apply the procedures properly. By the sounds of things you may be able to argue that you transferred residence in 2015 and would have been entitled to the exemption then. It’s going to be non-standard for Revenue and you’d have to gather evidence. If they grant it then no VRT and no penalties for late payment. Be prepared to answer questions as to whether you paid UK motor tax, it’s not technically relevant but is often asked.

The VRT would be based on the current OMSP not the one from 2015.

MMM11 contact your local revenue office and enquire, I have seen many people get exemptions even if they didnt fully meet the criteria. The worse they can do is say no

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

michellie wrote: »
    The VRT would be based on the current OMSP not the one from 2015.

MMM11 contact your local revenue office and enquire, I have seen many people get exemptions even if they didnt fully meet the criteria. The worse they can do is say no

Not true. And the only way for the poster to base it on the current value is to lie on a form carrying a minimum €5,000 fine if discovered and prosecuted.

I do, however, feel that he should apply for the exemption as it would have been available if applied for in 2015.

• Advertisement

Not true. And the only way for the poster to base it on the current value is to lie on a form carrying a minimum €5,000 fine if discovered and prosecuted.

Well it is true, i know what I'm talking about, it's the CURRENT OMSP (plus penalties)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Conchy

Went for my VRT Saturday, got my Irish plates and put them on when home. My insurance company doesn't open on Saturdays so I was wondering am I insured on the car on the Irish plates or do I have to wait till I ring the insurance company and let them know what they new Irish plate reg is so I am insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Conchy wrote: »
    Went for my VRT Saturday, got my Irish plates and put them on when home. My insurance company doesn't open on Saturdays so I was wondering am I insured on the car on the Irish plates or do I have to wait till I ring the insurance company and let them know what they new Irish plate reg is so I am insured?

You'll be fine. I've done it a few times, just keep all the paperwork with you in case you meet the cops. I usually hold off fitting the plates for a day or two if I VRT on a weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭deezell

bigben121 wrote: »

1. At large top up stage, but I was verified automatically, befor I ever sent payslips or stuff, your own bank of fund source should have you on record as verified these days.

2. It should, but be aware that the dealer may not be able to verify if he relies on 'phoning the bank', and can't do online lookup. We postponed a weekend purchase as Dealer had no accounts staff on Saturday/Sunday, only sales, who couldn't confirm transfer. If the accept payment by UK debit Mastercard or Visa ( I have both real revolut cards), then confirmation is instant. Tell dealer they're debit cards, not credit, and he might accept. Main Merc dealer in Preston did.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,226 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

michellie wrote: »
    Well it is true, i know what I'm talking about, it's the CURRENT OMSP (plus penalties)

The tax liability arose at the point of importation in 2015! NCTS may not follow the law but that’s a different matter.

The tax liability arose at the point of importation in 2015! NCTS may not follow the law but that’s a different matter.

Marcusm, NCTS use revenues system it's as simple as that. They don't make up their own rules.

Can I ask what kind of experience you have in VRT?

Cheers for the info lads, called them up and now awaiting a cancellation.

On a side note, I just noticed that the dealer gave me the wrong V5 cert! Same make and model, incorrect reg. number. That's a fairly big mistake to be making (on both our parts :o) so double check you're getting the right one. It's an easy one to gloss over, especially with the excitement over having your new toy

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭squirrel6767

When purchasing a car at the UK dealer via Revolut is the best method to use the Revolut Debit card (I have a virtual) or bank transfer (dealer bank account is NatWest) ?
    (I have the Sterling amount ready in the Revolut account)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hi folks,

Just about to bite the bullet on a purchase, just wondering if I pay by credit card am I protected if by some chance I get scammed (which in fairness is very unlikely as I have done my researched)

I had the car inspected and all is good, I was going to go over a pick it up next week but looks like I can get it delivered at a reasonable price by a transported here in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

Hi folks,

Just about to bite the bullet on a purchase, just wondering if I pay by credit card am I protected if by some chance I get scammed (which in fairness is very unlikely as I have done my researched)

I had the car inspected and all is good, I was going to go over a pick it up next week but looks like I can get it delivered at a reasonable price by a transported here in Ireland.

You should be protected with CC, but I don't think that you'll find any dealer willing to accept a CC for a large sum, unless you accept a markup of 1-2% to cover their charges. You should have no issue paying with a debit card though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Brenty

Just off the phone to a salesman from Car Giant in London. Was planning to go over on Saturday to collect a car and drive back on the same day. I was informed that they no longer accept bank drafts, they also would not accept revolut and would only accept a international transfer which would take 3 days to go through! Anyone have any help or alternatives? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Amouar wrote: »
    You should be protected with CC, but I don't think that you'll find any dealer willing to accept a CC for a large sum, unless you accept a markup of 1-2% to cover their charges. You should have no issue paying with a debit card though.

Are you protected with a debit card though ?
    I can do a transfer from my CC to their bank account and they are fine with that. Is a transfer from credit card to bank account protected ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

When purchasing a car at the UK dealer via Revolut is the best method to use the Revolut Debit card (I have a virtual) or bank transfer (dealer bank account is NatWest) ?
    (I have the Sterling amount ready in the Revolut account)

You have no physical revolut card?

Cienciano wrote: »

I do not have a physical Revolut card. Didn't have the need. If you think that a physical card is needed when paying with dealer I would consider but would have thought that either giving the virtual debit card details (like one would over the phone) or a bank transfer would be ok?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Cienciano wrote: »

I bought a car last week in Glasgow with just the revolut account on my phone. No card. It went through no problem at all. It took about half an hour to clear.

pablo128 wrote: »
    I bought a car last week in Glasgow with just the revolut account on my phone. No card. It went through no problem at all. It took about half an hour to clear.

Can you confirm if you did a UK to UK bank transfer via the app or just gave your virtual debit card details?

I am about to convert transferred euros to sterling amount of car in Revolut even though the exchange rate is not as good as I would have liked (will upgrade to Premium first to avoid fees).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,248 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

pablo128 wrote: »

Yeah, I gave a £500 deposit over the phone and it went straight through no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Can you confirm if you did a UK to UK bank transfer via the app or just gave your virtual debit card details?

I am about to convert transferred euros to sterling amount of car in Revolut even though the exchange rate is not as good as I would have liked (will upgrade to Premium first to avoid fees).

I think it was a UK to UK transfer. Revolut is a UK account anyway I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

Hi. I'm in the UK at the moment completing a deal for 530e. Transferred the balance (~30k) to the dealership's account via Revolut at 15:09. Seemed to go through ok - no red flags in the Revolut app. It's now 15:42 and I haven't received a confirmation email regarding the transfer and obviously the dealership haven't seen it hit their account yet either.

We did a £1 test last week and that worked fine, it was transferred within 10-15 minutes.

Should I be getting worried?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭madds

madds wrote: »
    Hi. I'm in the UK at the moment completing a deal for 530e. Transferred the balance (~30k) to the dealership's account via Revolut at 15:09. Seemed to go through ok - no red flags in the Revolut app. It's now 15:42 and I haven't received a confirmation email regarding the transfer and obviously the dealership haven't seen it hit their account yet either.

We did a £1 test last week and that worked fine, it was transferred within 10-15 minutes.

Should I be getting worried?

Onto Revolut's live chat here and they're saying the transfer can take from 30 mins to up to 1 working day. All of the accounts I have read on here about using Revolut have been very positive and all payments went through same day, in minutes, which is why I chose to go the same route. Can't understand why they're now saying this payment needs 1 working day to process.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement