Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    You use the “new keeper” slip that comes on the v5c. You don’t need an address as they don’t use physical tax disks like we do here.

Cheers thanks. Now I just need to figure out how much the tax is on a Fiesta. Do you know if you pay for a full year and how you go about claiming the money back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    Cheers do you know if the tax price is similar to here? Say 200 for a fiesta.

Also how do you apply to get your money back once home.

Dunno about your car but as a guide, a 2.0tdi motor is £30. If you look up ads for your car some will prob mention the tax. They don't get ridden sideways over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Gen.Zhukov wrote: »
    Dunno about your car but as a guide, a 2.0tdi motor is £30. If you look up ads for your car some will prob mention the tax. They don't get ridden sideways over there.

No kidding. That's very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Going about getting another VW golf from UK. Got one two years ago , was very happy . Seen what I want this week This time VW dealer says I need to provide a UK address for the invoice ? Didn’t need this last time ? Says some new regulation since 2018. Anyone know anything about it . He said he got last Irish customer to use relatives address in UK who they post the registration forms to in the buyers name and the relatives can just forward on home . I have relatives but think they’re on holidays but wondering is this really necessary ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

When selling to a non UK resident and the car is being permanently exported they are supposed to give you the full V5C registration document. They can keep and send off the permanent export section to the DVLA notifying them that the car is permanently exported but they must give the non UK resident buyer the full V5C document. That the procedure as per the DVLA here towards the bottom of the page - https://www.gov.uk/responsibilities-selling-vehicle so tell them look it up. A lot of dealers simply don't know or research the proper procedure and treat you like a normal UK resident in that they require you to provide a UK address. If they refuse after that then just buy from a dealer who is fully aware of the correct procedure.

bazz26 wrote: »
    When selling to a non UK resident and the car is being permanently exported they are supposed to give you the full V5C registration document. They can keep and send off the permanent export section to the DVLA notifying them that the car is permanently exported but they must give the non UK resident buyer the full V5C document. That the procedure as per the DVLA here towards the bottom of the page - https://www.gov.uk/responsibilities-selling-vehicle so tell them look it up. A lot of dealers simply don't know or research the proper procedure and treat you like a normal UK resident in that they require you to provide a UK address. If they refuse after that then just buy from a dealer who is fully aware of the correct procedure.

Thanks for the clarification and the link , looks like the guy I was talking to doesn’t know his stuff . I must get the other papers I got with the current car and refresh my memory and get back to him . Only issue I had last time was with AIB not letting me transfer money off my card so need to get that sorted this time b4 going

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

mgn wrote: »
    Is the dealer in the UK?,Most UK dealers do the MOT in their own garages

Right - thanks, forgot that they can do the MOT themselves. Better get the (maybe Dekra) check done. I will have to wait for them to do the MOT and the recall first before I get it checked. Anyone know how much it costs as I wasn’t able to tell from their website?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Cheers thanks. Now I just need to figure out how much the tax is on a Fiesta. Do you know if you pay for a full year and how you go about claiming the money back?
    Gen.Zhukov wrote: »

Yeah, mine ended up being £0 a year to tax and it’s a 1.6 diesel. As far as I’m aware in terms of claiming it back you send off the certificate of permanent export to the DVLA and you can include a letter saying you want the tax to be refunded. Haven’t done that myself though so I stand to be corrected.

*Bump

Hi - I have been looking at posts here and am finally ready to take the plunge (as my old car broke the timing belt). I need to take a loan (looking at Credit Union). Was speaking to them today and they said they can pay directly to a UK dealer (not a private seller) and that will entitle me to a slightly lower 'Auto' loan interest rate as against a personal loan. Anyone done this through a CU before? Also - I don't have a Revolut card/account - do you think that it is advisable to get one for this transaction? is that the best way?
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

tomred1N wrote: »
    Going about getting another VW golf from UK. Got one two years ago , was very happy . Seen what I want this week This time VW dealer says I need to provide a UK address for the invoice ? Didn’t need this last time ? Says some new regulation since 2018. Anyone know anything about it . He said he got last Irish customer to use relatives address in UK who they post the registration forms to in the buyers name and the relatives can just forward on home . I have relatives but think they’re on holidays but wondering is this really necessary ?

we've heard of dealer's unwilling to sell to an Irish buyer (usually BMW iirc) ,maybe this is similar. They can put whatever address they like on the invoice so long as they hand you the V5C. Don't leave without it, you'll have a hard job registering it without.

Isambard wrote: »
    we've heard of dealer's unwilling to sell to an Irish buyer (usually BMW iirc) ,maybe this is similar. They can put whatever address they like on the invoice so long as they hand you the V5C. Don't leave without it, you'll have a hard job registering it without.

Just been on to them. The sales guy has told me that it’s more of a company issue that the invoice is to a Uk address ( I have access to one anyway but don’t want to use it )
    I said I don’t care what address is on the invoice but other VW dealers can do it with my address.
    I have said any agreement is based on them signing and sending the export certificate to the DVLA and handing me the remaining hard copy of the V5 cert. he said that’s fine he can do that .

The car had 6000 miles on it and was registered on 11 Jan 2019. I just need to double check that this is considered more than 6 months old to conform with revenue VAT exemption ? That would seem. July 11th to me but youd never know the small print I guess ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,514 ✭✭✭deezell

Debub wrote: »
    deezell wrote: »
    Just brought over a Mazda 6 Sport Nav Fully loaded.

Hi Deezell - I was looking at Mazda6's as well, the estate ones, they do look good. Did you get it checked first before you bought? Also will you be able to tell me the dealer you bought from?

Thanks
    Full details in PM, but no, didn't get a test. Car was a 2017 from a very reputable dealer, high spec low miles cars in the main. Mazda have 3 year 60/100k miles/km all Europe warranty, so a 2017 mazda has a minimum of 17 months left, depending on month of UK reg, or 100k Km, which ever happens first.

Anyone has any experience with Flipping Cars (Chris)?

Full details in PM, but no, didn't get a test. Car was a 2017 from a very reputable dealer, high spec low miles cars in the main. Mazda have 3 year 60/100k miles/km all Europe warranty, so a 2017 mazda has a minimum of 17 months left, depending on month of UK reg, or 100k Km, which ever happens first.

Thanks - got all the details. Looking at 2014/2015 175 auto estates at the moment (the Bose audio is a bonus) - as per budget

Hi - another question.. are the prices given (UK Autotrader) absolutely fixed, or there chances for reduction - anyone bargained ever for a reduced price?

Not absolutely fixed. Some will move and some won't. I got a reduction from a smaller dealer and places like Car Store wouldn't budge.

You have to ask.

Hi - another question.. are the prices given (UK Autotrader) absolutely fixed, or are there chances for reduction - anyone bargained ever for a reduced price?
    A lot of places are "car supermarkets" priced to sell, Trade ins not really wanted, none of the inflated trade in price bull to give you the impression that you're getting a reasonable price for your own. (What is that '€15000 straight price, €16500 with trade in' bullsh1t so beloved of Irish dealers and deluded customers. "I got €2500 trade in". No you didn't. You got a grand)
    Bill Griffin Naas rd. is a car supermarket. If you have an oldish trade in he'll take it for a third of worst Donedeal price.
    At best if the car has a third party warranty, you can purchase the Irish version at home and ask for a discount of The £100-200 the dealer would have paid for the 3 or 6 month policy.
    You might get petrol money, if even that. I pointed out four below legal tyres on an A6 in BGs some years ago, said I'd pay full asking (€23k car) if he shod it. I was looked at like I was from space. Didn't buy either.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jonnybangbang

i brought back a Ford focus two weeks ago.the UK Tax was £0 for the year.

*Bump

Hi - I have been looking at posts here and am finally ready to take the plunge (as my old car broke the timing belt). I need to take a loan (looking at Credit Union). Was speaking to them today and they said they can pay directly to a UK dealer (not a private seller) and that will entitle me to a slightly lower 'Auto' loan interest rate as against a personal loan. Anyone done this through a CU before? Also - I don't have a Revolut card/account - do you think that it is advisable to get one for this transaction? is that the best way?
    thanks

Most bank cards here have a transaction limit of around €2,000 to €2,500 per day. Bank of Ireland Cards have a transaction limit of €25000 per day.

if buying a car in uk from a dealer you will need a card with a sufficient transaction limit in order to take the car the same day as your view it or you can do a bank transfer. Most dealers in UK will need the bank transfer done with clear funds before allowing you to take the car away. this usually takes 5 working days.

Bank draft will depend on the Dealer. My brother bought a car two years ago in UK and was able to give a bank draft and drive away the same day. I bought a car two weeks ago in different dealership and they would't take a bank draft at all. I didn't want to send money across before viewing the car with bank transfer and i couldn't wait 5 days after viewing the car so i ended up paying with a Bank Card.

• Advertisement

Most bank cards here have a transaction limit of around €2,000 to €2,500 per day. Bank of Ireland Cards have a transaction limit of €25000 per day.

if buying a car in uk from a dealer you will need a card with a sufficient transaction limit in order to take the car the same day as your view it or you can do a bank transfer. Most dealers in UK will need the bank transfer done with clear funds before allowing you to take the car away. this usually takes 5 working days.

Bank draft will depend on the Dealer. My brother bought a car two years ago in UK and was able to give a bank draft and drive away the same day. I bought a car two weeks ago in different dealership and they would't take a bank draft at all. I didn't want to send money across before viewing the car with bank transfer and i couldn't wait 5 days after viewing the car so i ended up paying with a Bank Card.

Thanks
    I was speaking to someone today in office and he threw in a new twist... the dealer he was buying from refused to take Revolut as he wasn’t able to determine what the bank charges would be as the amount was £19000. What was the charge when you paid? Did you use BoI? I also have a Transferwise account - maybe that will work, it should be same day transfer

What is an eCoC? Certificate of Conformity. This is required for VRT. Also how can the emission be proved, is that mentioned somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

What is an eCoC? Certificate of Conformity. This is required for VRT. Also how can the emission be proved, is that mentioned somewhere?

CoC is only for brand new unregistered vehicles, the information from that should be entered onto ROS prior to the VRT appointment. (This is only for vehicles that have never been registered in any country)

The Co2 is on the V5/registration document (or the Coc)

I know it's probably been asked and covered before, but with the thread being over 500 pages long, despite my skimming through it, I can't see reference to this, but..

Is there any difference to the process in regards to bringing a commercial across the border?

Considering the difference in pricing between Irish and even NI commercials (pick ups) I presume a lot of them are coming in from the North and UK.

Thanks
    I was speaking to someone today in office and he threw in a new twist... the dealer he was buying from refused to take Revolut as he wasn’t able to determine what the bank charges would be as the amount was £19000. What was the charge when you paid? Did you use BoI? I also have a Transferwise account - maybe that will work, it should be same day transfer
    Dealers are wary of debit cards. The one I dealt with said he doesn't take Mastercard, even from UK customers. I Proferred my Revolut Visa. He was happy with that but still wanted a transfer, which made the card type immaterial. As the Revolut card has a UK account no., the transfer is straightforward, it's not an international or Sepa transfer, no IBAN or BIC numbers. Revolut just asks for the account no. and sort code, and the account name. Email confirmation came in minutes, and transfer limit is £75k.

Dealers are wary of debit cards. The one I dealt with said he doesn't take Mastercard, even from UK customers. I Proferred my Revolut Visa. He was happy with that but still wanted a transfer, which made the card type immaterial. As the Revolut card has a UK account no., the transfer is straightforward, it's not an international or Sepa transfer, no IBAN or BIC numbers. Revolut just asks for the account no. and sort code, and the account name. Email confirmation came in minutes, and transfer limit is £75k.

ok - so I am being a bit thick I know, please bear with me - but as I don't have Revolut, so these questions...

So as I understand now - on Revolut, I transfer the car price from my € to £ account and then just do a payment (online transfer) to the sellers bank account on the APP and that is pretty much instantaneous - did I get that right?

ok - so I am being a bit thick I know, please bear with me - but as I don't have Revolut, so these questions...

So as I understand now - on Revolut, I transfer the car price from my € to £ account and then just do a payment (online transfer) to the sellers bank account on the APP and that is pretty much instantaneous - did I get that right?
    Worked for me. Got an email fairly quick to say transfer submitted, 4 mins later, transfer completed

The Coc is also required if bringing in the vehicle from outside the EU or as said before if it is a brand new vehicle that has never been registered anywhere before. As far as I know the eCOC is the equivalent for Electronic Vehicles.

Thanks

Yes, i used my VISA debit card. I think the charge is 2% value of transaction but it is capped at around €12 .

took below from Bank of Ireland website.

"A cross-border handling fee can apply if you use your Visa Debit Card outside of the EU/EEA, this will include Northern Ireland and Britain in the event that they leave the EU. The fee varies depending on how the card is used. There is no fee for using your Visa Debit Card in a Bank of Ireland or Post Office ATM in Northern Ireland or Britain when making a sterling cash withdrawal.

You will be charged a cross-border handling fee if you use any other ATMs in Northern Ireland or Britain. (3.5% of transaction value, minimum of €3.17/ maximum €11.43 per transaction). All point of sale purchases incur a fee of 2% of transaction value, and are limited to a maximum fee of €11.43 per transaction.

Last updated: July 02, 2019"

The best thing you can do is talk to the dealer you are thinking of purchasing the car from and ask what payment methods they accept and then try and work out which is going to be better for your situation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,928 ✭✭✭dodzy

Lads, quick question. Van import from north. 2010 transporter. Vrt date for aug 10th. What exactly does new owner need to bring to the appointment? Many thanks 👍

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement