Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Could someone tell me the difference between the following;

NMR check discrepancy indicated.

MOT recorded mileage history on GOV.UK consistent.

Had a mechanic friend run the reg and say there was no issues with the mileage, I can see mileage at MOT for last 6 years (car is 9yr old), where could HPI be pulling the mileage discrepancy from? Should I get a HPI check done?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sheldon16

Hi. Apologies if wrong thread.

Heading up north to more than likely purchase a car in next few days.

What is the best way to pay sterling? I have a revolut card which can top up but not sure if it's accepted? Can do draft if needed.

Any advice appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

sheldon16 wrote: »
    Hi. Apologies if wrong thread.

Heading up north to more than likely purchase a car in next few days.

What is the best way to pay sterling? I have a revolut card which can top up but not sure if it's accepted? Can do draft if needed.

Any advice appreciated

With the greatest of respect, that question has been answered at least 100 times so far in this thread. A quick search will give you all the info you need ;)

I’m on my phone at the moment so don’t have time to type it all out again.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

Marcusm wrote: »
    What is it? You’ll need to assume, like a rental, that it has had the arse ridden on it. Perhaps less of an issue for an automatic.

Make sure you read the thread properly and make sure you get the full V5; if not then don’t deal with them.

Sorry for asking but what do we mean by the full V5. I see in the thread about additional costs which I will check out.

Is there anything else to be mindful of related to it? I maybe naively expect no tricks from a Jaguar main dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Sorry for asking but what do we mean by the full V5. I see in the thread about additional costs which I will check out.

Is there anything else to be mindful of related to it? I maybe naively expect no tricks from a Jaguar main dealer.

they need to put the main registration document into your hand rather than sending it off to the DVLA. If they want to send off the "export" slip, that's fine even if not necessary but you need to get the rest of the document intact or else you'll have an awful lot of trouble re-registering it. All stated on the DVLA website.

• Advertisement

I just got this from the dealer?

"Hi

Once a car is sold it’s registered immediately in the customers name so we would never have the logbook, it would arrive with you within 5 to 7 days."

Also I see it is registered since 07/12/2018. Is there any VRT concern based on the fact its never been owned outside Jaguar?

It passes the 6 month threshold if that is based on date of first registration and as previously stated the 6 months is up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The dealer is doing it wrong. They cannot register the car to a non UK resident and the DVLA will not send one to an Irish address. Tell them to read the proper procedure on the UK DVLA website around selling to a non UK resident for permanent export which states they must give the V5C registration document to the buyer when it's being bought by a non UK resident for permanent export. They can send the export section off to the DVLA to notify then but they must give you the V5C so that it can be registered in Ireland If they refuse to follow that procedure then tell them to keep the car and buy from a dealer who understands how the process works.

Thanks. He has now confirmed this is fine.

the info they gave you was for new cars, not ex-demos.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pjq

Sorry if it's been asked before, I'm thinking of buying in Glasgow , taking a short road trip before taking ferry to NI and driving home to ROI . Is there any issue if Scottish police stop me 3 days after purchase, driving to north of Scotland? ie. should I export immediately?
    PS Thanks to all on this thread, I started reading last week and now feel confident to buy based on advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

pjq wrote: »
    Sorry if it's been asked before, I'm thinking of buying in Glasgow , taking a short road trip before taking ferry to NI and driving home to ROI . Is there any issue if Scottish police stop me 3 days after purchase, driving to north of Scotland? ie. should I export immediately?
    PS Thanks to all on this thread, I started reading last week and now feel confident to buy based on advice.

If you tax it, you should be fine. You might flag for no insurance so would be advisable to have proof of this with you. I’ve known a few people who went over, bought a car and stayed for a week or two doing other things over there.

Btw. Cops in Scotland may not be as sound as some of the ones you meet down in South Wales etc. last time I bought a car in Scotland, the dealer advised me that I wouldn’t get 1 mile away without being stopped for no tax if I didn't tax the car before leaving, I got about 500m and got pulled just going into the motorway. I was glad I took the dealers advise that day :)

Talking to two other guys today in Jaguar as was about to deal.

They insist that they cant export cars. They said I need a UK address.

I can literally give my London office address and the V5 gets delivered there.

Something seems off. More so in them not having a clue tbh. Its a very big Jag garage in Leeds so have to assume they have some sort of clue. This isnt their first time dealing with Ireland either.

It's very possible that they have an agreement in place with Jaguar dealers over here to supply them with UK used Jaguars exclusively and don't sell to Irish customers due to harming sales at home. Some UK Mercedes dealers have or had this policy too.

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's very possible that they have an agreement in place with Jaguar dealers over here to supply them with UK used Jaguars exclusively and don't sell to Irish customers due to harming sales at home. Some UK Mercedes dealers have or had this policy too.

That makes sense. I can ask is that the logic tomorrow.

Option 1 - Send in my name to London office

Option 2 - Send to a friends house in London and he then sells to me

Option 1 seems like it makes more sense unless there is a negative to it been in my name.

That makes sense. I can ask is that the logic tomorrow.

Option 1 - Send in my name to London office

Option 2 - Send to a friends house in London and he then sells to me

Option 1 seems like it makes more sense unless there is a negative to it been in my name.

it wouldn't matter whose name it was in for VRT purposes, so long as you can hand them the V5C.

Thanks for the help.

Hi. Just when I think I am about to get it all through. Now a road fund license is added for £465. The dealer mentioned it on the call but never said a cost and said you will get that back. Now looking at the invoice I see the charge?

Will I get this back? Should I argue it?

Road fund license = motor tax or some made up dealer fee?

You can claim the motor tax partially back once the car is permanently exported.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Road fund license = motor tax?

Ya, looks like it. I think I will grin and bear it as I can claim back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

So just for my own peace of mind I just want to run through the list of things I need to do to successfully import a car from the UK.

1. Get an inspection done.
    2. If the result of the inspection comes back good, put down a deposit on the car.
    3. Agree on a date to go over and buy it.
    4. Pay the UK tax so I don’t get stopped on the way to the ferry.
    5. Once I’m back in Ireland, make an appointment at the VRT office to get the car inspected by them.
    6. Assuming all goes well, pay the VRT, get Irish plates made up, tax it and then get it insured on the Irish plates.

Is there anything I’m missing? I just want to make sure I have everything covered as it’s my first time doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bod71

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    So just for my own peace of mind I just want to run through the list of things I need to do to successfully import a car from the UK.

2. If the result of the inspection comes back good, put down a deposit on the car.
    5. Once I’m back in Ireland, make an appointment at the VRT office to get the car inspected by them.
    6. Assuming all goes well, pay the VRT, get Irish plates made up, tax it and then get it insured on the Irish plates.

Is there anything I’m missing? I just want to make sure I have everything covered as it’s my first time doing this.

Make sure you get the full v5c logbook of the dealer, you will need this for vrt and claiming the uk tax back, keep your ferry ticket for date of entry into country and also get dated invoice. Arrange to switch your car insurance before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Deposit before inspection. Anything major comes up you can get your money back and if it's minor stuff you get them to fix it.
    Can't see a dealer letting you have a third party inspect a car if you haven't agreed to buy the car.

rob316 wrote: »
    Deposit before inspection. Anything major comes up you can get your money back and if it's minor stuff you get them to fix it.
    Can't see a dealer letting you have a third party inspect a car if you haven't agreed to buy the car.

Oh okay, hadn’t thought of it like that. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

That's how I have always done it anyway

bod71 wrote: »
    Make sure you get the full v5c logbook of the dealer, you will need this for vrt and claiming the uk tax back, keep your ferry ticket for date of entry into country and also get dated invoice. Arrange to switch your car insurance before you go.

these three items are very important.

Make a hard copy of the Insurance which shows your new car is insured. it might not be enough just to swap your cover over with the Company as the UK Police can't verify it.

Did anyone have a problem booking an inspection with the AA without having a UK address?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Anyone done a currency fair transfer on a Saturday?

From reading online it looks as though all gbp transfers are done via faster payments and should clear in a couple of hours 7 days a week, but was wondering if anyone had first hand experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Shelly0

About to put the trigger on buying a car in the UK next week just want to check . Car cost About 15k Sterling my question will I be able to pay via my revolut card with a chip n pin card.? If so will it clear there and then or is there a waiting time?

Scroll back through the last number of pages as the question has been asked a good few times in this thread. Failing that there is a huge revolute thread over in the bargains alert forum.

• Advertisement

Did anyone have a problem booking an inspection with the AA without having a UK address?

Never mind, got it sorted with the RAC :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement