Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

PaulKK wrote: »
    Anyone done a currency fair transfer on a Saturday?

From reading online it looks as though all gbp transfers are done via faster payments and should clear in a couple of hours 7 days a week, but was wondering if anyone had first hand experience?

it wont be cleared until the working day so it would be the monday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

revoke12 wrote: »
    it wont be cleared until the working day so it would be the monday

Cheers. Have you tried it?

Cheers. Have you tried it?

I used trasnfermate about 3 months ago and was told this over the phone if I paid the Saturday it would. Be the Monday as I was going to try bring the car down the day I got it but I just put a deposit on as they told me it wouldn’t be transferred on the Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I used trasnfermate about 3 months ago and was told this over the phone if I paid the Saturday it would. Be the Monday as I was going to try bring the car down the day I got it but I just put a deposit on as they told me it wouldn’t be transferred on the Saturday.

I was thinking the same thing initially, but going by this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.currencyfair.com/blog/introducing-faster-payments-one-hour-gbp-transfers/amp/

I.e all currency fair payments being faster payments and this:

http://www.fasterpayments.org.uk/about-us/types-of-faster-payments

"Single immediate payments can be sent 24 hours a day, seven days a week (subject to the service offering of your bank).
    Up to £250,000 can be sent per transaction (although individual banks may impose lower limits). You can check the current limit here.
    The money is usually available in the receiving customer account almost immediately, although it can sometimes take up to two hours "

It would be good to hear if someone has actually tried it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Kitty6277

Sorry guys, one last question :o does the Certificate or Permanent Export have to be filled out before I leave the UK or can it be done once I’m back in Ireland?

• Advertisement

I was thinking the same thing initially, but going by this:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.currencyfair.com/blog/introducing-faster-payments-one-hour-gbp-transfers/amp/

I.e all currency fair payments being faster payments and this:

http://www.fasterpayments.org.uk/about-us/types-of-faster-payments

"Single immediate payments can be sent 24 hours a day, seven days a week (subject to the service offering of your bank).
    Up to £250,000 can be sent per transaction (although individual banks may impose lower limits). You can check the current limit here.
    The money is usually available in the receiving customer account almost immediately, although it can sometimes take up to two hours "

It would be good to hear if someone has actually tried it.

I dont know so thats just what i was told im sure if you call them tehy will tell you accurately.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Kitty6277 wrote: »
    Sorry guys, one last question :o does the Certificate or Permanent Export have to be filled out before I leave the UK or can it be done once I’m back in Ireland?

do you mean the export slip on the V5C? You don't have to fill this out at all if it's a car you just bought, just make sure you get (at least) the rest of the V5C. You can send the export slip off to get a refund of Vehicle Excise Duty (road tax) ,if applicable, if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Hi everyone
    if the car your buying is not on the VRT calculator,how do they calculate the VRT.
    I'm looking to bring in a Clio Iconic but its nit on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Generally if the stat code is not there then they have to send the query off to Revenue which can take upto 10 working days to come back with a figure. Make sure to go through every Clio variant on the VRT site just in case it's buried in there somewhere.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Generally if the stat code is not there then they have to send the query off to Revenue which can take upto 10 working days to come back with a figure. Make sure to go through every Clio variant on the VRT site just in case it's buried in there somewhere.

Cheers i might call into NCT center & ask them before i go to UK

• Advertisement

They will probably just tell you the same.

They will probably just tell you the same.

Ok
    Looking at the spec,it matches the Sat nav version here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Try motorcheck.ie

aujopimur wrote: »
    Try motorcheck.ie
    Ok will do

Has anyone imported a Renault Iconic from the UK.
    If so what's the VRT?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Batesout wrote: »
    Has anyone imported a Renault Iconic from the UK.
    If so what's the VRT?

I don't recognise a Renault Iconic.

Is it an EV or Hybrid as there is a Hyundai Ioniq. Thats a different manufacturer though.

Old diesel wrote: »

Is it an EV or Hybrid as there is a Hyundai Ioniq. Thats a different manufacturer though.
    Its a Clio, its just they call it different instead of a Dynamique

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Old diesel wrote: »

Its a Clio, its just they call it different instead of a Dynamique

Ah its a trim level of the Clio in UK then.....

Cool - it's just it was written as if Iconic was a model.

Edit - make sure you can live with the ride comfort on the lower profile tyres that Iconics appear to come on (well the ones on Google images anyway)

It is listed on the VRT website.

It's under Clio > transmission type - manual > number of doors - 5 > engine type - petrol > body type - hatchback > engine capacity - 898 > version - Dynamique Iconic 25 NAV 90

It is listed on the VRT website.

It's under Clio > transmission type - manual > number of doors - 5 > engine type - petrol > body type - hatchback > engine capacity - 898 > version - Dynamique Iconic 25 NAV 90
    Thanks for that I must have missed that
    I was looking under Clio 0.9.

• Advertisement

Biting the bullet and going over to the UK for that car tomorrow. I just wanted to thank everyone on here for all their help so far, and thank you all in advance for any other questions that come up in the coming days/weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭agfasfos

Biting the bullet and going over to the UK for that car tomorrow. I just wanted to thank everyone on here for all their help so far, and thank you all in advance for any other questions that come up in the coming days/weeks.

Best of luck and have many years of happy and safe motoring.

I will be spending over €10000, is transfermate the best way to transfer money?

I will be spending over €10000, is transfermate the best way to transfer money?

I found them fantastic from my experience i had with them 3 months ago.

I sent 15k for my car to a dealer up the north - a guy phoned me and ran through the process step by step with me and made sure the trasnaction was done clearly. I was nerveous as had never done anything before but the guy Declan was his name ran through everything step by step and found him fantastic there office was in Ireland that called me.

Fantastic news hope all went well and you got sorted.

Fantastic news hope all went well and you got sorted.

Went like a dream, have her parked outside the front door now. Just need to get the VRT stuff sorted but so far I couldn’t be happier

Went like a dream, have her parked outside the front door now. Just need to get the VRT stuff sorted but so far I couldn’t be happier

Brillant thats the hardest part done and the most stress over with. Vrt fairly straight forward once you have all the paper work. Congrats and safe driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mancity1

If i look to import a car 2007 or older from the uk, once it is vrt'd is it taxed on the old or new tax rates?

old engine size system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭mancity1

old engine size system.

thanks for that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement