Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,139 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If you are taxing the car yourself then remember if you don't have a UK bank account then you cannot tax it for one month as to tax it for one month you have to set up a direct debit and you can only do that with a valid UK bank account. To tax it using a debit/credit card then you need to tax it for a minimum of 6 months but you can claim some of the unused tax back from the DVLA when you get the car home.

Some people chance not taxing it, just drive straight to the ferry port and have got away with it but there are no guarantees. If the car currently has valid tax and the seller is willing to hold off on transferring ownership and claiming back unused tax until your on the ferry then that might work but I don't know. From a selling point of view I'd want the ownership transferred asap in the event speeding tickets or toll fines started coming my way, especially when the buyer is leaving the country straight away and might not give a toss about either in theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

deezell wrote: »
    BTW, Sterling is 91.65 on Revolut this minute. £10,000 costing €10,910. Could get better but not much.

90.34 is the rate with AIB . You can never beat an Irish bank for competitiveness unless you want to buy a field in Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you are taxing the car yourself then remember if you don't have a UK bank account then you cannot tax it for one month as to tax it for one month you have to set up a direct debit and you can only do that with a valid UK bank account. To tax it using a debit/credit card then you need to tax it for a minimum of 6 months but you can claim some of the unused tax back from the DVLA when you get the car home.

Some people chance not taxing it, just drive straight to the ferry port and have got away with it but there are no guarantees. If the car currently has valid tax and the seller is willing to hold off on transferring ownership and claiming back unused tax until your on the ferry then that might work but I don't know. From a selling point of view I'd want the ownership transferred asap in the event speeding tickets or toll fines started coming my way, especially when the buyer is leaving the country straight away and might not give a toss about either in theory.

understood - thanks. It will have to be the 6 months then (will the Revolut account/card work for the one month?)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

deezell wrote: »
    Other option is a vat qualified refundable UK car, you get back the residual UK VAT, or the price reflects it, im not sure which, and then pay the Irish VAT. Afaik this only applies to new cars or used which were deemed vat qualified and Vat was never paid ( eg diplomatic cars). I don't think it's possible to get a residual VAT refund once it was paid originally on the new price HMG not going to give any of that back.
    For other EU import options, Only Malta and Cyprus are RHD, and they're both islands a long way away.

It would be a bit odd buying a LHD for Ireland but I'm sure you could get used to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Debub wrote: »
    understood - thanks. It will have to be the 6 months then (will the Revolut account/card work for the one month?)

Do you have a sterling account set up? You have a sort code and account number if you do. Surely this could be used for DD?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

If I buy a Range Rover in the UK and bring it here, then immediately register it as a commercial vehicle (it will be my company's vehicle), how can I calculate what the VRT is please?

And what would the procedure be?

thanks

ATotT

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Wheety wrote: »
    Do you have a sterling account set up? You have a sort code and account number if you do. Surely this could be used for DD?

I do - it has an account number and a sort code

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I do - it has an account number and a sort code

Actually, having a look on line and it doesn't look like Revolut support DDs on the UK account, only EUR.

On the Revolut community people are suggesting Monzo or Starling. They offer GBP direct debits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

Hi Isambard - the V5C will be handed over. The question was - when does it show up as 'ownership has changed' on the general database? This particular seller is just saying that it takes a day or two for the car to show up as sold and till that time the current tax on it should still be valid - I just want to know is that a correct statement?

Hi Tomred1N - was it easy to pay online? As I have been told that you cant pay till the ownership has changed

Also - is the V5C like ours here - you need to fill in the new owners (mine) name on a separate page?

EDIT - ok I can see online that the car can be taxed by me using the reference number on V5C/2 (new owner details) on the third page

You don't need to fill anything in on the V5C, you just need it to hand it to the VRT people. As I said, the old tax is void at the point of sale and does not transfer. You can tax the car in Ireland as soon as the VRT is done and the change of ownership is shown on line.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hi Guys,

Few questions if you don't mind. Been reading this thread but I am really struggling to nail some points down.

1. What is the best payment method to use? I have a BOI Visa Debit, a Revolut Visa, and a Revolut Mastercard. Want to keep transfer costs low but balanced quickest/easiest option would be great.

2. I am buying a 6 month old 530e direct from a BMW owned garage (not a franchise). The car has a 3 year warranty of which 30 months remain. The sales guy was confused when I asked would they facilitate am RAC check. Any take on this?

3. What is the situation on the min 6 month old and min ~6,000 KM requirements. Is it both, or one or the other?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Hi Guys,

Few questions if you don't mind. Been reading this thread but I am really struggling to nail some points down.

1. What is the best payment method to use? I have a BOI Visa Debit, a Revolut Visa, and a Revolut Mastercard. Want to keep transfer costs low but balanced quickest/easiest option would be great.

2. I am buying a 6 month old 530e direct from a BMW owned garage (not a franchise). The car has a 3 year warranty of which 30 months remain. The sales guy was confused when I asked would they facilitate am RAC check. Any take on this?

3. What is the situation on the min 6 month old and min ~6,000 KM requirements. Is it both, or one or the other?

Thanks in advance.
    2. No need for RAC check or the likes if you're buying off a main dealer.

3. Both. Has to be at least 6 months old AND have more than 6000km to avoid VAT. If it has 6001km and is 5 months old, you pay VAT. If it is 6 months old and has 5999km you pay VAT.

awec wrote: »
    2. No need for RAC check or the likes if you're buying off a main dealer.

3. Both. Has to be at least 6 months old AND have more than 6000km to avoid VAT. If it has 6001km and is 5 months old, you pay VAT. If it is 6 months old and has 5999km you pay VAT.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

If I buy a Range Rover in the UK and bring it here, then immediately register it as a commercial vehicle (it will be my company's vehicle), how can I calculate what the VRT is please?

thanks

ATotT

How many seats and what's the body type on the v5?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭deezell

thanks

ATotT
    Full rate. A Range rover or any car like vehicle wont qualifies for commercial rate of VRT, just because it's to be used as a business vehicle. At most a business can put 20% of the VAT through their books, if the mileage use is 60% business, but VRT remains the same. A business can't claim back VAT from a UK import, unless it was UK VAT qualifying export in the first place, then it's liable for Irish VAT on registration, and this will be based on the Irish OMSP, not what was paid in the UK. Only vans and certain crew cab vehicles qualify for commercial VRT and commercial road tax. Good article here from last year when the minister done for all the pajeros and the like driving the kids around with commercial road tax and tiny VRT.
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/farming/tax-changes-on-the-way-for-buyers-of-passenger-jeeps-851703.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

michellie wrote: »
    How many seats and what's the body type on the v5?

Five, not sure of body type.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Does the vrt rate change monthly to reflect the car being a month older?

It can do in my experience, the manual versions of the tables are pretty complex. Just use the online site and tweak the car age up and down a few months to see. Milage allowance adjustment may reduce as the car gets 'older' as the averaged miles will be less.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

dinorebel wrote: »

If you put in the details on the vrt estimator online the month doesn’t seem to make any difference to the quote.

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

1. I used currencyfair which worked well and costs were ok.

2. Just be aware that for young cars the NCT will send the details to revenue who will check the car VIN for any extras and will charge more than the online estimator. In my case an extra €1200 versus that €8900 estimate.

3. Yeah if either under 6 months or under 6km then VAT payable. It’s the mileage at the point of the NCT checking on the day you bring it for the VRT assessment that is used. Doesn’t matter if your sales invoice says less.

If you put in the details on the vrt estimator online the month doesn’t seem to make any difference to the quote.

Two identical estimates, one March 2016 and one November 2016, 88,000 miles, high mileage typical of fleet import.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10gSXj2Mn_hVlGuThZKbQDH3jziz3DWZ2/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10YfW7ZWV6ksWcS51IyFk8d1Id4DDIKEJ/view?usp=drivesdk

The March car has a €1300 reduction of the OMSP, the November has a €2000 reduction, because it has higher average miles over its shorter life. At 17% VRT, the November car is 700 x 0.17, €119 less VRT. Yet on the forecourt, the November car is 172 reg, more attractive than the 171 March car.

• Advertisement

Strange, when I was doing the VRT estimates for a 2018 car there was\is no difference between a January 2018 and a Deccember 2018 car (with all other variables the same).

Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't depends on the car.

Also revenue generally change the OMSP on the 1st of each month but last month changed it over several days in the middle of the month, INCREASING the OMSP and vrt amount for lots of people.

Strange, when I was doing the VRT estimates for a 2018 car there was\is no difference between a January 2018 and a Deccember 2018 car (with all other variables the same).
    Depends on the milage, and if its above average over the age of the car. If milage is near normal allowance will be zero regardless of date.

Depends on the milage, and if its above average over the age of the car. If milage is near normal allowance will be zero regardless of date.

Also revenue generally change the OMSP on the 1st of each month but last month changed it over several days in the middle of the month, INCREASING the OMSP and vrt amount for lots of people.
    This is the part of the VRT process that is scurrilous. The new OMSP is a given, but the aged OMSP is based on complex depreciation tables, and value of additional features, and the hand on SIMI is all over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

michellie,you seem to be well informed of inner workings of the VRT.
    What is going to happen on the 31st October if the UK leave without a deal,will there be VAT added on all imports from midnight on the 31st or will there be a grace period,also what about cars that is in the country but waiting for VRT appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Successful trip yesterday. 27 euro flight , 20 euro train , 140 euro ferry , 650 km driving but full tank of diesel was part of the deal ! 22 hour day but
    some value over there at the moment, every second person on the ferry was driving home a “new” car.

Used AIB Paylink urgent transfer costing 32 euro . Rate of 90.5 pence to euro. Probably get a better rate off Fexco or the like but at least the payment was immediate and left me with plenty time to make ferry .

On a side note you realize the scale of the UK . Past JCB WORLDWIDE parts factory in the midlands....not only are the UK self sufficent but the scale and size of even JCB operation puts in perspective the fact that they don’t just rely on Europe , If I was betting I’d be thinking when it eventually comes to blinking it might be Europe who do it !

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance.

So, learned today that BOI now have a daily transaction limit on their Debit Cards. This was recently introduced by VISA and is set to 25k.

I am due to fly over to the UK tomorrow afternoon in order to collect the car on Saturday morning.

There is is a delta of 7/8k sterling that I need to fill in fairly quickly, i.e. I would need to be able to send it tomorrow and for it to arrive in the destination account tomorrow.

Any suggestions?

Transfer euros to Revolut. Change to £ in Revolut, then do a simple UK to UK transfer, account name, number and sort code. It'll be there in a flash.

• Advertisement

mgn wrote: »
    michellie,you seem to be well informed of inner workings of the VRT.
    What is going to happen on the 31st October if the UK leave without a deal,will there be VAT added on all imports from midnight on the 31st or will there be a grace period,also what about cars that is in the country but waiting for VRT appointment.

Wish I could give answers but I can't, we won't be told until the last minute. Same with the last deadline, told nothing!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement