Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,516 ✭✭✭deezell

dodzy wrote: »
    Lads, quick question. Van import from north. 2010 transporter. Vrt date for aug 10th. What exactly does new owner need to bring to the appointment? Many thanks ðŸ‘

Vehicle Identity Documentation (NI vl cert)

VRT Vehicle Purchase Declaration Form
    Download here
    https://www.vrt.ie/home/vehicle-registration-tax-in-detail/vehicle-registration-tax-forms/

Purchase Invoice

Proof of Address (ESB bill)

Personal Public Service Number (PPSN)

Evidence of the date of entry of a vehicle into the State (car ferry booking with the reg no. does for UK, for NI, the UK export cert or dated receipt might do, or evidence of date of transfer of vehicle insurance to an Irish policy)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

there is no export cert available as from last February . V5C or NI equivalent essential

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tomred1N

Yes, i used my VISA debit card. I think the charge is 2% value of transaction but it is capped at around €12 .

took below from Bank of Ireland website.

"A cross-border handling fee can apply if you use your Visa Debit Card outside of the EU/EEA, this will include Northern Ireland and Britain in the event that they leave the EU. The fee varies depending on how the card is used. There is no fee for using your Visa Debit Card in a Bank of Ireland or Post Office ATM in Northern Ireland or Britain when making a sterling cash withdrawal.

You will be charged a cross-border handling fee if you use any other ATMs in Northern Ireland or Britain. (3.5% of transaction value, minimum of €3.17/ maximum €11.43 per transaction). All point of sale purchases incur a fee of 2% of transaction value, and are limited to a maximum fee of €11.43 per transaction.

Last updated: July 02, 2019"

The best thing you can do is talk to the dealer you are thinking of purchasing the car from and ask what payment methods they accept and then try and work out which is going to be better for your situation.

BOI card worked before for someone I know as the limit was high enough . I got caught last time as AIB had a daily limit on debit card of only 7K I think. My wife had to do an urgent transfer by AIB Paylink. ( cost 32 euro and took about 30mins ) I’m going to do the same again next week. Should be ready to pay by 11am so hopefully this shouldn’t take too long for transfer again and as long as I’m on road by 2pm I should be fine for last ferry at 20:30 Otherwise it will be the 2:30am version !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

tomred1N wrote: »
    BOI card worked before for someone I know as the limit was high enough . I got caught last time as AIB had a daily limit on debit card of only 7K I think. My wife had to do an urgent transfer by AIB Paylink. ( cost 32 euro and took about 30mins ) I’m going to do the same again next week. Should be ready to pay by 11am so hopefully this shouldn’t take too long for transfer again and as long as I’m on road by 2pm I should be fine for last ferry at 20:30 Otherwise it will be the 2:30am version !

Cab you get a vet appointment in a weekend ? Do you get to choose a time and date or are you just assigned one?

Liamo_mu wrote: »
    tomred1N wrote: »

Cab you get a vet appointment in a weekend ? Do you get to choose a time and date or are you just assigned one?
    They're held in NCT centres so 7 day service. Ours is tomorrow, Sunday. You can arrange date and time.
    Book here https://www.ncts.ie/1145

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Liamo_mu

Looking at a cars MOTS history and this was the report on it last month. Would this concern you lot? WOuld it be a walk away or ask for more more money off the price. The nearside front tyre must have been replaced as it since passed the MOT.

Do not drive until repaired (dangerous defects):
    Nearside Front Tyre has a bulge, caused by separation or partial failure of its structure (5.2.3 (d) (ii))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):
    Nearside Rear Sub-frame pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
    Offside Rear Sub-frame pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement (5.3.4 (a) (i))
    Front Brake pad(s) wearing thin (1.1.13 (a) (ii))
    exhaust flexi worn

Subframe bush/ pins are suspension components, not a big deal to replace, it's more why they are worn. Is the milage high, or was it driven over rough ground. Some brands might be more prone to wear than others. I remember my new 2002 Peugeot 406 failing it's first NCT in 2006 over both rear suspension arm bushes. Only normal miles, about 50K, but on road that was very rough though not potholed. It was a flaw of the car also, but the arms were cheap and easy to fit. Burst tyre and brake pad thin is normal wear and tear, but almost worn front pads signifies either high miles or heavy footed driving. If the milage is about 50K then I'd expect them to be thin, but if they milage is a lot lower then someone is pressing the metal. In this case discs would be worn and showing scoring. I checked out a Lexus once with only 41k miles, front disks were severely worn. And this was a hybrid, with regen braking! I walked away. If you don't feel comfortable to make an assessment of the car, especially if it has above average miles for its age. (fleet car say), then get the independent test as advised by other posters here. Buyer beware always.

Also, the last three items are advisories, they man not have been done.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

dodzy wrote: »
    Lads, quick question. Van import from north. 2010 transporter. Vrt date for aug 10th. What exactly does new owner need to bring to the appointment? Many thanks ��

My friend brought in a VW Transporter it was only 1.5 years old at the time. It was a twin door kombi LWB a 6 seat, 3 front ,and 3 back.
    They wanted huge VRT to clear it, thousands. So he took out the seats, put plywood on the floor and blocked the side windows.

He then cleared it for the cheap rate. Weeks later he went to tax it, but they said you need a doe, but you can tax it private! So he just taxed it private, and when the first time tax book was sent out it was private. SO he put back in seats and unblocked the windows.

Crazy loop hole, clear it as commercial, and when you have no doe to tax it the first time you tax it just tax it private and then they send you out the new first time tax book which states its private.
    Had it ever years, no questions.

Since then he put it down as a crew cab, and has best of both worlds 333 tax .

My friend brought in a VW Transporter it was only 1.5 years old at the time. It was a twin door kombi LWB a 6 seat, 3 front ,and 3 back.
    They wanted huge VRT to clear it, thousands. So he took out the seats, put plywood on the floor and blocked the side windows.

He then cleared it for the cheap rate. Weeks later he went to tax it, but they said you need a doe, but you can tax it private! So he just taxed it private, and when the first time tax book was sent out it was private. SO he put back in seats and unblocked the windows.

Crazy loop hole, clear it as commercial, and when you have no doe to tax it the first time you tax it just tax it private and then they send you out the new first time tax book which states its private.

taxed private doesn't make the class private. I reckon it will still be down as a goods vehicle and if they cop on, they'll be after the rest of the VRT.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »

taxed private doesn't make the class private. I reckon it will still be down as a goods vehicle and if they cop on, they'll be after the rest of the VRT.
    Cop being the operative word, if you get stopped by a finiky one, though a crew cab classification probably covers the extra seats. That class was removed from commercial vehicles I think, a few years ago?, as it was being abused, must now be VRT'd and taxed as private.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,696 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It was actually down as private as it had an NCT.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Hello - back with another question:

Insurance - my insurance company says that they can cover UK reg plate for a (max) period of 30 days
    Tax - one potential seller I was talking to says that as the vehicle i am buying is already taxed for the next few months and if I drive off the same day out of UK, I don't need to tax it... the export vehicle doc/V5C/change of ownership will not be received by them till the next day at (the earliest) and I should be home in Ireland by then (it should not show up on the police radar as an untaxed car). And also that i cant Tax the vehicle till I have it in my own name.
    Is the above statement correct? and if it is, a follow up question below...

And while i am waiting for the VRT - can I drive it on Irish roads as I am covered by insurance (but not tax - so do I need to tax it in the UK for it to be drivable on Irish roads)?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭mad_shopaholic

I am hoping to go bring one over end of year or early next year and bring back one of the new model Mercedes CLA. I think I read on a thread previously that Mercedes don't allow dealers to export the cars is this true?

I am hoping to go bring one over end of year or early next year and bring back one of the new model Mercedes CLA. I think I read on a thread previously that Mercedes don't allow dealers to export the cars is this true?

You might want to be aware that Pascal will want at least another 23 % Vat if Boris jumps at the end of October !

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The Coc is also required if bringing in the vehicle from outside the EU or as said before if it is a brand new vehicle that has never been registered anywhere before. As far as I know the eCOC is the equivalent for Electronic Vehicles.
    Nope, I registered my Suburban I i mported from the US last year and only had to produce the title document (similar to uk v5).

CoC is only if a car has never been registered anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭bailey99

if the uk leaves the EU which is highly likely, any imports from UK must be VRT checked by 31/10/2019 is that correct? Otherwise, dates after that and you are hit with VAT at 23% on the import? Or does this not apply to second hand vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Is it worth getting something like a revolut card for the deposit and main payment? I was originally going to go with electronic payment of some form for deposit, then cash for the car. Looking at spending about £5k here.

OK, just to edit this, I read this post and transfermate looks good: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=110722747&postcount=7796

bailey99 wrote: »
    if the uk leaves the EU which is highly likely, any imports from UK must be VRT checked by 31/10/2019 is that correct? Otherwise, dates after that and you are hit with VAT at 23% on the import? Or does this not apply to second hand vehicles?

might have a Custom requirement as well I think

Insurance - my insurance company says that they can cover UK reg plate for a (max) period of 30 days
    Tax - one potential seller I was talking to says that as the vehicle i am buying is already taxed for the next few months and if I drive off the same day out of UK, I don't need to tax it... the export vehicle doc/V5C/change of ownership will not be received by them till the next day at (the earliest) and I should be home in Ireland by then (it should not show up on the police radar as an untaxed car). And also that i cant Tax the vehicle till I have it in my own name.

And while I am waiting for the VRT - can I drive it on Irish roads as I am covered by insurance (but not tax - so do I need to tax it in the UK for it to be drivable on Irish roads)?

• Advertisement

Debub wrote: »

And while I am waiting for the VRT - can I drive it on Irish roads as I am covered by insurance (but not tax - so do I need to tax it in the UK for it to be drivable on Irish roads)?

I think I can drive it in Ireland as long as I have booked in for VRT within 7 days and have inurance - but still not clear on the UK tax bit

I think I can drive it in Ireland as long as I have booked in for VRT within 7 days and have inurance - but still not clear on the UK tax bit

The easiest way of dealing with U.K. road tax is pay it . I think it was 30 euro for the year last car I got. Could have claimed it back but couldn’t be bothered with the hassle afterwards. AFAIR the garage wouldn’t leave me on the road without it anyway . They mentioned Welsh cops being unreal strict on it and it also affected the 5 day Free VW insurance I got from garage .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

If we are subject to VAT after the Brexit deadline, what is the other option, do/have people imported from the continent? What country would you be going to import a car from if you had to?

bailey99 wrote: »

no one knows. It depends if there is a deal or not and what that deal is

there is no export cert any more and you should have been handed the V5C as they will not register a car to a foreign address. You will not be able to VRT it without the V5C and you'll have a world of pain getting one. Expect VRT penalties for late payment.

UK Tax is nul and void on sale and the responsibility of the new owner to re-tax it on purchase.

Mc Love wrote: »
    If we are subject to VAT after the Brexit deadline, what is the other option, do/have people imported from the continent? What country would you be going to import a car from if you had to?
    Other option is a vat qualified refundable UK car, you get back the residual UK VAT, or the price reflects it, im not sure which, and then pay the Irish VAT. Afaik this only applies to new cars or used which were deemed vat qualified and Vat was never paid ( eg diplomatic cars). I don't think it's possible to get a residual VAT refund once it was paid originally on the new price HMG not going to give any of that back.
    For other EU import options, Only Malta and Cyprus are RHD, and they're both islands a long way away.

BTW, Sterling is 91.65 on Revolut this minute. £10,000 costing €10,910. Could get better but not much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

deezell wrote: »
    BTW, Sterling is 91.65 on Revolut this minute. £10,000 costing €10,910. Could get better but not much.

I've been watching it.
    markets are going be spooked for next few weeks

there is no export cert any more and you should have been handed the V5C as they will not register a car to a foreign address. You will not be able to VRT it without the V5C and you'll have a world of pain getting one. Expect VRT penalties for late payment.

UK Tax is nul and void on sale and the responsibility of the new owner to re-tax it on purchase.

Hi Isambard - the V5C will be handed over. The question was - when does it show up as 'ownership has changed' on the general database? This particular seller is just saying that it takes a day or two for the car to show up as sold and till that time the current tax on it should still be valid - I just want to know is that a correct statement?

Hi Tomred1N - was it easy to pay online? As I have been told that you cant pay till the ownership has changed

Also - is the V5C like ours here - you need to fill in the new owners (mine) name on a separate page?

EDIT - ok I can see online that the car can be taxed by me using the reference number on V5C/2 (new owner details) on the third page

• Advertisement

Hi Isambard - the V5C will be handed over. The question was - when does it show up as 'ownership has changed' on the general database? This particular seller is just saying that it takes a day or two for the car to show up as sold and till that time the current tax on it should still be valid - I just want to know is that a correct statement?

Hi Tomred1N - was it easy to pay online? As I have been told that you cant pay till the ownership has changed

Also - is the V5C like ours here - you need to fill in the new owners (mine) name on a separate page?

EDIT - ok I can see online that the car can be taxed by me using the reference number on V5C/2 (new owner details) on the third page

Last time the garage did it online for me in 2 mins while in garage . Latest garage have said the same but can tax for 6 months this time instead of 12 last time so maybe only 20 euro this time

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement