Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

On the VRTVPD2 form section 3 .

The section says “person who purchased the vehicle outside the state if not the proposed registered owner of the vehicle .

Does it mean that if a different person brought the car in and does not intend to be the owner of the vehicle . They they need to file this out ? So in this case is it left blank ?

Am I reading this correctly .

Just leave it blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭JustMac

Hi All,
    The first post is great. Lots of useful info.
    Just wondering, it appears that the original post in this thread is 15 years old. Would anyone know if the advice is still the same the same in 2019?
    I've searched the forum(s) and haven't found any newer threads on the same topic. Thinking of heading to the UK to buy a 2nd hand jeep (probably a hyundai ix35 or tucson). I haven't located any discussions on here with estimates of how much people have saved etc.
    Any info or being pointed in the direction of another thread forum would be great.
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

JustMac wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Just wondering, it appears that the original post in this thread is 15 years old. Would anyone know if the advice is still the same the same in 2019?
    I've searched the forum(s) and haven't found any newer threads on the same topic. Thinking of heading to the UK to buy a 2nd hand jeep (probably a hyundai ix35 or tucson). I haven't located any discussions on here with estimates of how much people have saved etc.
    Any info or being pointed in the direction of another thread forum would be great.
    Thanks.

Just bought a 161 Tucson . I think savings need to be like for like . Ie
    Spec , mileage , condition , and who you bought from ( dealer, private , warranty or no warranty )

My example would be all in 15500 ( vrt, travel expenses etc ) . A similar from a dealer down south would be 17000 minimum. So 1500 would be mid estimate savings .
    Cheapest I could see around would be about 700 in savings .

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭bonkers67

I bought a Volvo. With everything it cost me I reckon the savings were around 6000-7000. They don’t even have the same spec here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭2012paddy2012

Just bought a 161 Tucson . I think savings need to be like for like . Ie
    Spec , mileage , condition , and who you bought from ( dealer, private , warranty or no warranty )

My example would be all in 15500 ( vrt, travel expenses etc ) . A similar from a dealer down south would be 17000 minimum. So 1500 would be mid estimate savings .
    Cheapest I could see around would be about 700 in savings .

15500 all in ? Gosh that's exactly the kinda car and money I want to spend...there was hardly a second one there !!??
    What mileage was on it ?
    I wonder could I PM you for more info ? Paddy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Amouar

bazz26 wrote: »
    I mean they could be living here temporarily from the UK. My understanding is that in those circumstances you would be allowed drive your foreign reg car for up to something like 12 months before having to register it here. The car could still be taxed, MOT'd and insured in the UK.

The car was parked in the appartement parking and i had close look at the discs on the windscreen. One of them was an insurance disk from 123.ie with an expiry date of 12/19.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

skytop wrote: »
    Hi , do you mind if I ask you the name of this dealer
    ?
    Thanks

Did you ever find out the name of this dealer ?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

JustMac wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Thanks.

Hi there not a jeep but i bought a dec 2013 f30 m sport had it down here and cleared for 16500 seen the same car (exact year m sport near enough milage same kit for 24k in a garage in Limerick.. I bought mine up the north from a dealer with a warranty down south..

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - I was doing a comapro for an XF:

just to note that the UK cars are a much higher spec

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

Looking for a 2015-2017 white TT in diesel. I’d much rather buy in the south but the fact is they’re just not here! Can anyone recommend an Audi dealer in the north who can offer a warranty with an Audi dealer in the south should anything go wrong? Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭revoke12

lemmno wrote: »
    Looking for a 2015-2017 white TT in diesel. I’d much rather buy in the south but the fact is they’re just not here! Can anyone recommend an Audi dealer in the north who can offer a warranty with an Audi dealer in the south should anything go wrong? Thank you

Most of the garages offer a warranty wih any vat registered garage down south so you should be fine there

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You need to be very careful around warranties from NI/UK. Audi Ireland may only honour the first 2 years of the manufacturer's warranty on a UK 3 year warranty. I know BMW allow you to buy an extended warranty down here on UK imported BMWs but BMW Ireland and BMW UK are the same importer so basically the same company when it comes to honouring these warranties. Not sure if Audi offer similar services as Audi Ireland and Audi UK are two separate entities.

And just to elaborate on what the poster above said. You can buy your own 3rd party warranty from an independant warranty company but just be aware that these 3rd party warranties are not the same as a comprehensive dealer warranty. These 3rd party warranties from the likes of mapfree, carprotect, etc are like an insurance policy to cover failures. These policies usually have lots of exclusions and also not every vat registered garage will deal with these warranty companies as it can be pain and hassle getting paid by them. The only exception would be if the particular dealer you bought the car from has an agreement in place with a dealer/garage in the south to carry out any warranty work for you on a car you bought from them and I'd be getting that in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭lemmno

So much to think about. Think I need to outsource this to someone who does it regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Can I ask a newbie question (after some searching I can't find an answer on boards)?

What are people doing with their old cars when they buy up North? I'm looking at switching from a 13 Santa Fe for a 17 Sorrento.
    I could save 2k to 3k on buying down South after VRT. But if I factor the trade-in into the equation, the deal switched to costing me 2k to 3k based in the prices I'm seeing on auto-trader.

So are those buying up North selling their old cars privately here in the South?

Alot of NI dealers will take ROI registered cars as trade-ins. They usually sell them back to ROI dealers down here, you will however get the NI trade in value of it but you might still be saving money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Alot of NI dealers will take ROI registered cars as trade-ins. They usually sell them back to ROI dealers down here, you will however get the NI trade in value of it but you might still be saving money.
    From my calcs, the trade-in will end up costing me money. So it wouldn't be worth it.
    The thought of trying to sell privately doesn't fill me with joy

It's going to cost money either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TripleSSS

Does anyone know if there is a limit on using revolut to buy a car in the UK? Could I spend upwards of £10k in one chip and pin transaction over there? Or is there better ways for me to purchase. With Aib Bank and I know they have a daily limit but not sure what it is.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭rai555

TripleSSS wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there is a limit on using revolut to buy a car in the UK? Could I spend upwards of £10k in one chip and pin transaction over there? Or is there better ways for me to purchase. With Aib Bank and I know they have a daily limit but not sure what it is.

Thanks

https://www.revolut.com/en-IE/?irgwc=1&p=i&ext=1418727_Tiberiu%20Buzdugan_

TRANSFER MONEY GLOBALLY
    Transfer money abroad in 29 currencies with the interbank exchange rate, with a small 0.5% fee for anything above €6,000 each month. A flat mark-up on weekends and on certain currencies may apply, it’s only fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭TripleSSS

mossy464 wrote: »
    Bought the car today up north and used revolut to pay the amount in full in one card transaction. No issues at all.

Just had all the funds on my revolut account first. Had to put the money on over a few days due to my banks daily card transaction limit. Max 7100 in one day
    TripleSSS wrote: »

Thanks

I found the answer to my question further back on post #7556. I think I'm happy to go with Revolut for now.

• Advertisement

Hey lads .,
    Has anyone used a 3rd party to go do a full inspection on a car before buying it up North ?
    if so what company did you use ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Hey lads .,
    Has anyone used a 3rd party to go do a full inspection on a car before buying it up North ?
    if so what company did you use ?

I got an independent guy via ClickMechanic. This list is also useful: http://www.iaea-online.org/find-an-engineer/

I also placed my deposit on the car with the provision that it would be returned if anything was found in the inspection.

I got an independent guy via ClickMechanic. This list is also useful: http://www.iaea-online.org/find-an-engineer/

I also placed my deposit on the car with the provision that it would be returned if anything was found in the inspection.

Thanks for that any idea around how much it cost ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭at9qu5vp0wcix7

Thanks for that any idea around how much it cost ?

Went for the most comprehensive version which included a history check, I think it was about €150/£150.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 missgoogle

Hi, I bought a car from a Skoda dealer in NI, my Dad collected the car for me but they made out the invoice in his name even though I paid for the car. Will this make a difference when I show the invoice at the VRT appointment?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

missgoogle wrote: »
    Hi, I bought a car from a Skoda dealer in NI, my Dad collected the car for me but they made out the invoice in his name even though I paid for the car. Will this make a difference when I show the invoice at the VRT appointment?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 46 bassets

Looking at purchasing a car in Uk this week. I’ve found the car I want to buy but could someone give me a step by step guide as to what I need to do now.

The car failed its MOT in May due to Offside Rear Coil spring fractured or broken so obviously I need them to fix this. MOT still valid until end July. They have agreed to MOT and service before I purchase. They have said the car is hpi clear.
    I’m buying a seat Leon from a seat dealer so do I still need to get an inspection done?
    Can I use Revolut chip and pin to pay £8k?
    Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skyblueflyer

I'm looking to purchase a car from the UK this week, the car was first registered the end of January 2019. Can I bring it in straight away and leave it till the end of July to clear it and avoid having to pay the vat? Can the car be used in the meantime?

The car has to have at least 6000 km on the clock and be at least 6 months old to avoid VAT liability. They will look for proof of entry into the country i.e. sales invoice and ferry ticket so bringing it home early won't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭skyblueflyer

The car has to have at least 6000 km on the clock and be at least 6 months old to avoid VAT liability. They will look for proof of entry into the country i.e. sales invoice and ferry ticket so bringing it home early won't work.

Does it have to be 6 month old on the date of entry or can it be 6 months on the date it will be cleared?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement