Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bought into the Justice League vs Suicide Squad hype, damn I was expecting more, first two have been so so, the swerve has potential but may need more than the intended run to tell the tale to a satisfactory conclusion, love Captain Boomerang he's a creepy buggar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Bought into the Justice League vs Suicide Squad hype, damn I was expecting more, first two have been so so, the swerve has potential but may need more than the intended run to tell the tale to a satisfactory conclusion, love Captain Boomerang he's a creepy buggar.

I'm really not a fan of Suicide Squad so I gave this a miss... glad to hear I'm not missing out!

I'm really not a fan of Suicide Squad so I gave this a miss... glad to hear I'm not missing out!

It has brought a few characters into the story that really imo need way more than the projected run to justify a storyline, will be picking up the third issue tomorrow along with about €60 worth of other comics, damn DC bring so much out and marvel with Rocket Raccoon and Civil War II I'm gonna enjoy reading them but damn it's gonna be expensive.

It has brought a few characters into the story that really imo need way more than the projected run to justify a storyline, will be picking up the third issue tomorrow along with about €60 worth of other comics, damn DC bring so much out and marvel with Rocket Raccoon and Civil War II I'm gonna enjoy reading them but damn it's gonna be expensive.

If I may recommend, the first and only Nighthawk tpb is out tomorrow and is well worth a read!

Am buying the art of Archer so that is taking up half my budget, master race, all star batman and the new super girl mini series are all €6, 5 and 6 each, Justice League vs Suicide Squad is €4 Civil War II and She Hulk and Rocket are €4 each I think, I buy only variants and will be getting 2 different master race so maybe more than €6 each, damn expensive hobby for a man who can't see too well. Nighthawk will go on the maybe list for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,294 ✭✭✭dunworth1

I fell behind a bit but had some time to start reading through the backlog today

just finished the 6-part night of the monster men it was enjoyable and i have to say the graphics are amazing at times

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I read a few bits over Christmas, including getting a start on my Thought Bubble haul:

Fred the Clown in The Iron Duchess
    I really like Fred The Clown. Roger Langridge has a great sense of slapstick comedy and how to pull it off in comics, so seeing a new FtC story made me very happy. It didn't disappoint, fulfilling its promise of fun with a story inspired by Buster Keaton's films. Great, great stuff, mixing lovely art, great gags and top-notch visual storytelling.

Decadence #11
    I like sci-fi, weirdness and a willingness to experiment in my comics, so the chaps at Decadence have been con favourites of mine ever since I found an issue of theirs at Gosh! This latest issue is a bumper tome, packed as usual with a mix of otherworldly sci-fi, minimalism, experimental and at times borderline incomprehensible comics. It doesn't always work, but it works well and often enough that I'm always willing to pick up an issue of theirs.

Video games for good
    This is a Scottish anthology of comics about videogames and the positive impacts they have, or can have, on people's lives. A nice mix of art styles and stories that manage to be personal without being preachy made this something I enjoyed beyond the use of visuals from games I grew up playing.

Rivers Of London volumes 1 & 2
    I dimly recall hearing about this series a while ago and dismissed it as another media tie in comic I didnt want to read. But it actually turns out to be really good - both because the comic series is set at a specific period in the book series, and because the comics don't try to compete with the books in terms of scope, and instead serve to flesh out the kind of Falcon crimes that crop up in London which aren't directly related to the overall Faceless Man storyline. Aaronovitch's involvement and planning is what makes the difference here, there's a real sense that he has planned how the comics and novels mesh so that everything can be canon, as it were. My only reservation is the possibility of the comics writing delaying the next book, because The Hanging Tree was already delayed by a fair chunk of a year at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭gloobag

Finished up the previous run of Midnighter, and now caught up on the current issues (Midnighter and Apollo), by Steve Orlando. It can get a bit bonkers sometimes, but in the best possible way. Definitely up there as one of my all-time favourite books, and I knew absolutely nothing about the character up until a couple of weeks ago.
    Steve Orlando consistently nails it from issue to issue with a great balance of action, humour, twists and a take on a same-sex relationship that doesn't pander or rely on stereotypes. I have also been enjoying his current run on Supergirl, and can't wait to see what he does with the upcoming JLA.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Backlog of comics getting unruly. Need to really start ploughing through them !

TheDoc wrote: »
    Backlog of comics getting unruly. Need to really start ploughing through them !

Same. Counted my shelf the other night. Roughly 45 trades on the shelf are completely untouched...

• Advertisement

Civil War II end was confusing to say the least not as weird as the Battle world Civil War ending, that was dreadful. Justice League vs Suicide Squad issue 2 was good some great one liners from Batman and most of the Squad.

The Unworthy Thor is great reading so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Same. Counted my shelf the other night. Roughly 45 trades on the shelf are completely untouched...

I'm getting deliveries bi weekly from Big Bang.

I had to go buy another storage box from IKEA, to just store and organise the ones I havn't read.

Need to just get back into a habbit of an hour a night or something.

Yup same! Need more boxes...

exact same as ye the pile just keeps getting bigger

i really need to try and get into the hang of reading one before bed or something

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

Hellboy 7: The Troll Witch and Others
    Hellboy 8: Darkness Calls
    Hellboy 9: The Wild Hunt
    Hellboy 10: The Crooked Man and Others
    - I don't normally get on with Corben's art but it works for Crooked Man. Interesting that Hellboy is just a bystander for most of it.

Escape From New York 1: Escape From Florida - Agree with part of a review on Amazon that, visually at least, the book doesn't do much in the way of recreating the tone of the film(s) Some nice covers though; it's pretty telling that They do little in the way of depicting, y'know, Florida. Would have been nice if the book was just called Escape to Florida too. There'd be a threat of impacting sale presumably but I think it could have gotten away with the movie font and swapping out New York for Florida.

[Assassin's Creed:] Templars 1: Black Cross
    Assassin's Creed 2: Setting Sun
    - Surprised the FCBD story wasn't included in the collection but the continuity of it requires the characters to go off and get a safe house that is neither seen nor mentioned again and would have been really handy to have around in the main story.

Donald Duck: The Old Castle's Secret
    Donald Duck: Trail of the Unicorn
    - Easily the best decision that the DuckTales reboot has made is bring Donald Duck back in. Scrooge and he are great together.

The Amazing Spider-Man: Red Headed Stranger
    The Amazing Spider-Man: Return of the Black Cat
    - Aaaand she's gone in two issues. Raptor put way more effort into his name than his costume.

New X-Men: Childhood's End 2* Re-read
    New X-Men: Childhood's End 3*

Fantastic Four: 1234*

Star Wars Special #1: C-3PO - Way better one-shot than the premise - why C-3PO has red arm in Force Awakens - should allow.
    Not too sure about the ending which has Threepio become a body snatcher
    ; however, the franchise doesn't dip into the issue of droid sentience enough for my liking so it's good to see (threepio) here. That
    memory wipes still leave traces of something is just depressing

Star Wars 1 hardcover
    Star Wars: Darth Vader 1 hardcover - Replaced the first volume TPBs that I'd already read with the oversized hardback editions. They still cling on to movie stuff too much which I hope goes away in stories post-Episode VII but I got more enjoyment out of the second volumes.

Batman 4: Zero Year - Secret City*

The Flash by Mark Waid 1 - Yeah, annuals really need to get back to telling stories which the ongoing series doen't usually have room to tell. Had enough of Flash-forwarding into the far future pretty quickly (how come the future as seen by the '90s just looks more '90s? pacman.gif) but I will gladly take a bunch of villains I have little familiarity with meeting up in a cinema, agreeing to a museum heist then all independently going the night before to take the prize alone because of course they do. Do this more, annuals.

*Digital version

Just finished Justice League vol. 1 (Rebirth) and I gotta say, I really enjoyed it! The overall story didn't do much for me but the Superman stuff was really great!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,850 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Having read the Suicide Squad lately, I noticed Waller has put on weight again after her new 52 debut. Wonder what prompted the change

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just managed to read through the Injustice: Gods Among Us series.
    It all starts off so good, and you can always see the path that Superman will go down with Diana egging him on.

I think it got a bit carried away with involving virtually every God they could think of to step up the risk a bit.

Thinking of moving on to the New 52 stuff because I've lacked on my DC reading for years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Just finished "The Ultimates 1&2" which I had been meaning to read for ages, really enjoyed it. I'm reading "Thor: God of Thunder" at the minute, the 'God Butcher' arc is really good!

• Advertisement

^^That run has ruined me for any artist other than Ribic drawing Thor. Absolutely beautiful.

caught up with my backlog all 35 comics over the weekend

I read Terminarch and loved it great oneshot

reading through After death book one and two and I'm finding them a chore to read not really pulling me in at all

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

^^That run has ruined me for any artist other than Ribic drawing Thor. Absolutely beautiful.

It really is beautiful!

Just finished Nightwing vol. 1 (Rebirth): Better Than Batman - really solid book. I really like Nightwing as a character but this was much stronger than the New52 stuff, even though the writer remained the same.

Also, Captain America Steve Rogers has been pretty solid. I'm on board for the Secret Empire event, I reckon.

Just finished vol. 1 of Mark Waid's Archie - really fun book! The first three issues are particularly gorgeous, drawn by Fiona Staples, but the whole thing looks great. Would recommend.

Just started the second arc of All-Star Batman, the first issue of which is among the best Batman issues I've ever read. Art by Jock makes it stunning to look at as well.

Superman is still one of the best ongoing comics around from any publisher. Just started the Superman Reborn story and really looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

The new Iron Fist started out with a really strong first issue. I'll defo go back for more of this one!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

Licenced comics-me-do!

Samurai Jack: Tales of the Wandering Samurai - Had already read Threads of Time but this omnibus version of the four volumes showed up on the cheap in time for season 5's broadcast. For me, it's a lot better when they start doing one-shots and switching up the visuals. Shame Tartakovsky has dismissed it since he hasn't read them, the comic and season 5 production had to have been going on around same time - one of his designs is a cover and the same visual is briefly used the second episode - there's a time gap where the stories could slot in nicely and there's nothing (as yet) in the show that contradicts them. The last issue hints at an end for the show but it isn't one:
    Basically all of Jack's friends have gathered to fight Aku in the lead up to a last battle. Can easily just have failed and help set up Jack's losing hope
    in season 5.
    Jack does go without his sword for a
    time in the comic as well;
    however, it's not just a repeat of the same idea
    and they represent different things.

Plus it's insane for a guy that riffs Lone Wolf & Cub and everything Frank Miller in the show to think comics isn't a suitable medium for Samurai Jack (if I'm interpreting that "even comics" aside correctly).

Tomb Raider 3: Queen of Serpents
    - Oh hey, a cover that actually depicts something from the story! There's a character clearly positioned to explain why they aren't in Rise of the Tomb Raider near the end which looks to be a thread continued in the next comic series set after that game. Just feels like a clunky way to answer a question I don't think many asked.

The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths I*
    The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths II*
    The Dark Crystal: Creation Myths III* - Bought in a sale and used as an excuse to get around to rewatching the movie which I hadn't seen in forever. With the film, there was way too much unspoken history going on for me to get behind the straight forward story it was telling compared to, say, Star Wars or Lord of the Rings where you don't need to know what the Clone Wars was or exactly what failing to destroy the ring will bring back to the world beyond A Bad Thing.

Creation Myths was a pleasant surprise in that it's so good it arguably should be experienced before getting to the film as an epilogue. I think volume 3 ends rather abruptly and feels like there's space that's being occupied by another product I haven't read like perhaps the novelisation of the film or the manga otherwise Creation Myths is pretty darn enjoyable.

At times though there seemed to be an uncomfortable suggestion that things should just be taken on blind faith to the point that scepticism is an agent of change for the worst (even in the face of evidence to the contrary). There's a character that the book wants you to think of as a trickster figure at one point that just doesn't ring true.
    He doesn't trust the UrSkeks, whose arrival literally blinds his mother, in part because they're not of his world (though neither is he it turns out) learns that they're liars but because they're apparently benevolent he should just go along with it. He is hinted at being the "unmaker" in opposition to his mother
    as the maker
    (who is too busy watching the stars to notice what's going on the ground)
    which makes more sense.

James Bond: Eidolon - Bond and his woman's gun struggle to maintain their relationship back in London.

Star Wars: Heroes For A New Hope - Bleh title. Already read the Leia story in TPB form. Bit surprising that Waid's arc is the weaker of the three.

The Amazing Spider-Man 1
    The Amazing Spider-Man 2
    - The hardcover volumes of the Marvel Now! (vol. 1) (hm) run not the awful Mark Webb films. I'm torn between the cheapness (knowingly probably) of Slott giving Silk her powers from the same spider bite as Parker and the quickness of getting the retelling the origin out of the way for new readers (but what about all new, all different readers aah?). Was much better with Clash. Alpha, Clash, Phil Urich Hobgoblin, Grasshopper - Slott is pretty good at twists on the Spider-Man formula. Also he still puts Johnny Storm cameos in his books so he's great even if that Spider-Human Torch in Spider-Verse would clearly have dealt with Morlun effortlessly so there was no reason to bring Spider-Everybody else in.

I bought the Worldwide volume at the same time as these but that might have to wait a while since my reading of Batman and the Avengers going global is too recent.

One Piece 1: Romance Dawn (re-read)
    One Piece 2: Buggy the Clown (re-read)
    One Piece 3: Don't Get Fooled Again
    (re-read)
    One Piece 4: The Black Cat Pirates
    (re-read)
    One Piece 5: For Whom the Bell Tolls
    (re-read)
    Giving One Piece another go after playing Pirate Warriors and seeing that the plot might actually go somewhere eventually. Though this method won't last, I've been alternating between the anime and the manga, and the anime comes across like a copy-edited version of the story with mixed results. For instance, Luffy's origin is shifted to a couple of episodes in so you see his powers first then you see how he got 'em.

However, Buggy the Clown is given Force powers in the anime which never get seen again (probably): Buggy's supposed to be choking a guy with his hand from a distance because he has the ability to detach his limbs. The manga doesn't want to show you that yet so you can't see what's happening to the guy's neck and Buggy's arm is obscured. In the anime the guy is clearly being held up and choked by nothing so it just raises the question of why the clown is bothering to detach his arms later when he can do this stuff with telekinesis.

Well I found it interesting. pacman.gif

*Digital version

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I finally got around to reading Sandman: Overture. My, but it was pretty. Kinda wish there was an Absolute-size version to match the rest of the set, but that's a very minor thing.

Fysh wrote: »
    I finally got around to reading Sandman: Overture. My, but it was pretty. Kinda wish there was an Absolute-size version to match the rest of the set, but that's a very minor thing.

Glad to hear you enjoyed it; it's sitting on my shelf just asking to be read but... so many other books too...

Glad to hear you enjoyed it; it's sitting on my shelf just asking to be read but... so many other books too...

It's not one to rush your way through, there are so many pages (and two different pull-out 4-page spreads!) that demand that you linger over them. There are several features included as backmatter - interviews with the creative team, etc - and by far the best, for me, was the stuff with J H Williams, Dave McKean and Todd Klein talking about their working process for the series.

• Advertisement

Excellent! I'll wait till I have some proper time!

Advertisement