Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Singles the last couple of weeks:

American Alien #3 - Continuing the trend of being great in this issue!

All New All Different Avengers #6 - This was great. Some lol moments (that jab at X-Men was great). Such a fun book!

Astonishing Ant-Man #5 - I don't hear enough about this book; it's so good and doesn't seem to be getting a huge amount of love.

Trades:

Martian Manhunter vol. 1 The Epiphany - Halfway through this and it's great! One of the few DC titles that I'm liking at the moment.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10 vol. 4 - Since reading Season 8 last year, I've been a big fan of this series. Once S10 is over, I'm gonna switch to singles on this one.

X-Factor vol. 3 The Many Lives of Maddrox - I really like this run. It feels like no one should ever write this book except Peter David. Of all the tv/movie versions of comics floating around at the moment, I really think Fox is missing a beat with not creating an X-Factor show.

Elektra: Assassin - 2 issues into this after having picked it up about a year ago. It's painted beautifully and the writing is obviously fantastic. It's a pretty heavy book so it's slow going right now for me but it's defo top notch.

To Read list:
    I've been collecting DK3 but it's been about 6 years since I've read TDKSA so I'm a little lost, contextually speaking, so I reckon I'm gonna go back and read right from TDKR... Should be fun!

Swamp Thing by Scott Snyder - the gf got me this beautiful deluxe hardcover edition for Christmas and it's next on my list. Flipped through it and it looks gorgeous. I'm a big fan of Snyder so really looking forward to sinking into it.

Black Widow #1 - Really looking forward to picking this up this NCBD. Waid and Samnee did such an unreal job on Daredevil and the most recent run on BW was also fantastic so I have high hopes for this!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Accepted wisdom is that it's the absolute worst. It was a pain for me to read...

A total pain, it made no sense.

Avengers: Ahhh the Phoenix is coming, the world is over nobody can control that.
    Me: Couldn't Rachel Grey?
    Scott: No one could before but Hope will be able to. She looks kinda like my dead wife who couldn't/then kind of could/then merged with it and lives on a higher plain with it but isn't part of it for the purposes of this story/or something. But Hope definitely can. I just know it.
    Me: What about Rachel, your sort of daughter?
    Avengers: We don't believe you Scott, we need to take Hope for reasons.
    Me: Maybe someone could call Rachel?
    Wolverine: If Jeanie could handle it then Hope can't. I'll kill her if I have to.
    Me: Rachel?
    Rest of X-Men: We stand with Scott. There is no other member of our ranks who knows anything else about this.
    Me: Did Rachel die or something?
    Disney: We can use this to split up Black Panther and Storm as we want to make a BP movie and Fox have the rights to Ororo.
    Me: Fine, it was weird that you retconned their whole past into all Africans just knowing each other anyway, tiny underpopulated continent that it isn't.
    Hope: I'll try my best to control the Phoenix even though I'm nervous as nobody else has ever done so.
    Me: So maybe Rachel went off to some other dimension and no-one remembers she existed?
    Rachel: Ummm I controlled the Phoenix just fine.
    Me: At last, some continuity.
    Avengers, X-Men and the whole event completely ignores this major flaw in the whole ****ing story and continue of to make no sense so Marvel/Disney can make all the money.

^^AvX was my saturation point for all things related to the Phoenix Force. I probably reached that point way after most people cos I don't read a lot of X-Men comics....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

Of all the tv/movie versions of comics floating around at the moment, I really think Fox is missing a beat with not creating an X-Factor show.

Second. Even if Madrox was the only mutant in it, you'd think X-Factor would get a look-in as a TV premise well before Legion.

Ridley wrote: »
    Second. Even if Madrox was the only mutant in it, you'd think X-Factor would get a look-in as a TV premise well before Legion of all things.

Legion's getting a show?! How did I miss that...?! Is it gonna be canon with the movies?

I agree though yeah; even if Madrox was initially the only mutant, there's so much they could do with it.

• Advertisement

Legion's getting a show?! How did I miss that...?! Is it gonna be canon with the movies?

Legion's occupying a parallel universe or something and Hellfire's seemingly in limbo (not that one).

http://comicsalliance.com/tags/legion/
    http://comicsalliance.com/tags/hellfire/

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Just reading The Gauntlet/Grim Hunt story in Amazing Spider-Man. Really liking it, think a few stories could of been extended out by one more issue or so but like seeing the classic villains again. For some reason I've always been a big Kraven The Hunter fan. Kraven's Last Hunt is superb book and think the 90's Cartoon action figure was a favourite back in the day. Just up to the point where the
    Spidey is lead by "Ezekiel" to the graveyard/hideout

I've read when the person above first showed up, what other arcs is he in?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Singles the last couple of weeks:

X-Factor vol. 3 The Many Lives of Maddrox - I really like this run. It feels like no one should ever write this book except Peter David. Of all the tv/movie versions of comics floating around at the moment, I really think Fox is missing a beat with not creating an X-Factor show.

It was a great run. Jamie really does belong to him now.
    It's one of my favorite series to reread.

L.S.F wrote: »
    I've read when the person above first showed up, what other arcs is he in?
    Book of Ezekiel
    ?

He was part of J. Michael Straczynski's run on Spider-Man but I can't remember how often he cropped up.

---

SpiderFan.org says:

Amazing Spider-Man vol. 2 #30-35
    ASM #47-49
    ASM #55-56
    ASM vol. 1 #506-508 (book went back to original numbering)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 LadyWarrior

The walking dead volume 3 and it's quite different of what happens in the tv series.

And I'm also reading Sex Criminals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Witchblade Origins Vol 1

Though gonna take a break and read Kingsman that I got at the weekend

DragonBall 1 through 5 (VizBig Editions) - Re-read to scratch an itch that came about after the DBZ: Resurrection 'F' DVD release. I don't care for the book name-dropping the sequel series cause it puts a question mark on what else has been altered and not just translated. Such as Bulma asking if Goku is an alien (
    which shouldn't bother her now anyway since Toriyama decided to have her meet an alien as a child
    in Jaco the Galactic Patrolman). Toriyama still has a thing for poop jokes and the inconsistent censorship of the art for what few black characters there are - and Mr. Popo - is mildy irritating. Personally, I think the art should be preserved with a warning.

Naruto: The Seventh Hokage and the Scarlet Spring - Epilogue to the series with the next generation of ninja. I liked it.

Batman: Knightfall 3: Knightsend - Took me about four years to get around to reading this as the previous volumes which I read around Dark Knight Rises weren't clicking with me. I don't know if it's the time passed since then or the suspicious gap in collected issues between volumes two and three (they're the less comprehenive, older editions) but it wasn't as unpleasant a reading experience as the others. Kinda wish Valley's red Batsuit had come into Batplay Batsooner. The blue one works as a counter to Bruce Wayne's costume, the red one is just more Batappealing to mine eye for some reason. I would Batargue that the ending with
    Wayne tricking Valley into ditching the suit
    means that his Batman hasn't really come out on top.
    Bane defeats Batman, Batvalley defeats Bane; Batman beats Valley out of his armour
    ? There's a brain over brawn thing in there I suppose.

Batman: Arkham: The Riddler* - Why would you later retcon his real name from Nigma to Nashton, you monsters? Interesting to see the changes over the years and what's contradicted between issues.

Mark Waid (and Chris Samnee) Daredevil 4 HC

Avengers World 1: AIMpire
    Avengers World 2: Ascension
    - Feels too slow for me. To be honest, I'm far more interested in the politics of a Chinese equivalent of SHIELD and Euroforce being led by an American than Avengers teams scattered across the world.
    "Obviously we've seen the Avengers make a pretty big statement about this world being under their protection and them being the representatives of our world. So it felt like it was time to do a book about what that planet looks like; not just Marvel New York or Marvel Space, but what does Marvel Europe, Asia and Africa look like right now?"

Maybe it'll change Before Time Runs Out™ but the book doesn't seem to be that to me. I've seen what Madripoor
    looks like on the head of a dragon
    , I haven't really seen Marvel China function. Marvel Europe's probably just filled with boring Celtic magic stuff though so I don't need to see that. wink.png

All-New X-Men 7: The Utopians* - Rubbish collection of issues. First issue is a vignette with Emma Frost and Young!Jean Grey which is fine then it's chapters four and five of Black Vortex which don't work removed from the crossover. It does cover
    Young!Cyclops coming back in
    and thankfully Bendis lets most of the art do the talking so it's a briefer read than it could have been. Then it's the last two issues dealing with AvX fallout where the Utopians
    get to be protected from attacking people - SHIELD in this instance - because prejudice
    ? I mean the Young!X-Men say
    the SHIELD agents were saved after being blown up but it's not shown and the coda is Hill acknowledging that the Young!X-Men are lying apart from justifying the Utopians' attacks as paranoia from being persecuted
    . Notable for having Young!Iceman's coming out. Then the end of All-New X-Men is "To be concluded in Uncanny X-Men #600!" Wow.

Star Wars: Kanan - The Last Padawan 1 - Liked it. For some reason the clonetroopers are black and not Temuera Morrison and story has a natural end in issue five that gets an epilogue for issue six to lead into the next arc. Bit of an odd one.

Conan 15: The Nightmare of the Shallows
    Conan 16: The Song of Bêlit
    Conan 17: Shadows Over Kush
    King Conan 1: The Scarlet Citadel
    - Man in his pants continues to stick it to the man by being unwavering in his old fashioned vew of the world somehow. He falls in love but he gets over it. tongue.png Nice to see Brian Ching's art again. He seemed to just disappear after Knights of the Old Republic.

Sex Criminals 1: One Weird Trick* - Sex Cauldron?!

*Digital version

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Picked up Batman Volume 7 Endgame this week, after MONTHS of waiting for it to come out in TPB. Really enjoyed it, was worth the wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Astonishing Ant-Man #1: Decided to give this a go after a couple of good reviews elsewhere on the internet. I like how it's going and the humour is on point. Think this series has real potential.

The Preacher: I've read them all before but I'm re-reading after many years. Still remains one of, if not my favourite series.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

DragonBall 1 through 5 (VizBig Editions) - Re-read to scratch an itch that came about after the DBZ: Resurrection 'F' DVD release. I don't care for the book name-dropping the sequel series cause it puts a question mark on what else has been altered and not just translated. Such as Bulma asking if Goku is an alien (
    which shouldn't bother her now anyway since Toriyama decided to have her meet an alien as a child
    in Jaco the Galactic Patrolman). Toriyama still has a thing for poop jokes and the inconsistent censorship of the art for what few black characters there are - and Mr. Popo - is mildy irritating. Personally, I think the art should be preserved with a warning.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who reacted to the (IMO disappointing) Resurrection F by wanting to reread the original series. I don't remember noticing any quirks in the translation last time I read it, but I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Mind you, I watched the cartoon dubbed into Spanish and I've read a few different accounts of how that version came into being (I think it was based on the weirdly-censored American translation, but I could be wrong).
    Sex Criminals 1: One Weird Trick* - Sex Cauldron?!

*Digital version

Quoting because this got an actual laugh out loud from me :D

Fysh wrote: »
    Glad to see I'm not the only one who reacted to the (IMO disappointing) Resurrection F by wanting to reread the original series. I don't remember noticing any quirks in the translation last time I read it, but I'll have to keep an eye out for them. Mind you, I watched the cartoon dubbed into Spanish and I've read a few different accounts of how that version came into being (I think it was based on the weirdly-censored American translation, but I could be wrong).

There must be an article somewhere on Kanzenshuu that shows the differences between every version of the manga and anime. Of course, it doesn't help that Toriyama will alter the ending himself if need be. wink.png

The DBZ reference in DragonBall is something like "Oh no, does this mean Dragon Ball Z doesn't happen?" when Goku gets taken down. It might be in the original Viz translation because I believe they split the series based on the anime and released DB and DBZ concurrently as separate first volumes. But then again it might not cause they made ch-ch-changes between formats. NSFW warning. Probably not needed but just in case.

My set is the VizBig versions of DB 1-5 and the older individual DBZ volumes 1-26. Popo speaks in broken English in the latter. Turns out the inconsistent censorship I complained about in the previous post - which I thought because They'd left the lips on certain characters and took them off the more obvious racial caricatures - is due to their deciding to darken some the mouths to match the skintone. Makes sense. Still think you should preserve the art with a warning rather than pretending the dodgy stuff didn't happen. Or censoring it so you can still $ell it to the target demographic.

I liked Resurrection F insomuch as I can when the original series did away with bringing Frieza back in as a plot point in the best way possible.
    Not big on them giving the win back to Goku either.
    I find the way Toriyama circles around ideas similar to Dragon Ball GT pretty interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Hoping to pick up The Ultimates and The Death of Superman in the bi weekly releases. I've given up on the single titles. I've found myself waiting until I get the whole story before reading

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Waiting on my monthly Trade purchase

Deadpool: Axis Volume 7
    Superman: Earth One
    Justice League: Throne of Atlantis Volume 3
    The Walking Dead: Made to Suffer v. 8

I've always liked Superman, but have never read anything with him in it apart from Justice League. so I'll be grabbing a recommended TPB or GN each month for the next while to read through the stories.

I think next month also kicks off my first foray into buying singles. Setup a PList with Big Bang for the DC Rebirth launch. So along with my Trade purchases I'll be getting a stack of singles, which should keep me good for the month between paydays :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

TheDoc wrote: »
    I think next month also kicks off my first foray into buying singles. Setup a PList with Big Bang for the DC Rebirth launch. So along with my Trade purchases I'll be getting a stack of singles, which should keep me good for the month between paydays :D

I'm torn. Part of me wants to post a welcome to the party meme. The other, from having collected single issues for just over 20 years, wants to warn you to run away now :)

TheDoc wrote: »
    I've always liked Superman, but have never read anything with him in it apart from Justice League. so I'll be grabbing a recommended TPB or GN each month for the next while to read through the stories.

Recommended reading - Superman: Birthright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

finally read Forever Evil. I absolutely loved it, especially after the meandering rubbish of Trinity War. After seeing Superman vs. Batman, it's nice to see a really well written Lex Luther.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Just finished Batman Long Halloween and Dark Victory. I enjoyed Long Halloween but loved Dark Victory.

Next up will be The Dark Knight Returns and Hush.

I have Planet Hulk Spiderman Coming Home and Captain America White to get to aswell.

I've started picking up a few of the Marvel and DC bi weeklies aswell

Just finished a bunch of great stuff...

Avengers Standoff: Assault on Pleasant Hill - I only read the Alpha & Omega titles and the ANAD Avengers tie-ins but I got loads out of it. Cap is BACK!

Ghost Rider - The "ultimate collection" by Daniel Way, covers issues 1 - 19. Incredible fun, particularly the World War Hulk tie-in issues and the last few issues. Definitely recommended for fans of the character.

The Amazing Spider-Man - Basically just went back and read all of Straczynski's run, since I'd only actually read some of it. Fantastic run, some of the best Spider-Man I've read tbh. Though I completely disagree, as Straczynski did, with what happened in One More Day, it was fantastically done.

Trinity - Matt Wagner's story of the first meeting of the Trinity. That guy seriously gets Superman. Fantastic read.

Also reading as they come out...

Astonishing Ant-Man continues to be awesome, as does All New All Different Avengers. The Vision is half done and full awesome. I found the latest Superman: American Alien a bit weak but that's generally been great. The new Black Widow run has also been just delish. Also, Doctor Strange has been SO good and the "Last Days of Magic" storyline is great!

The Amazing Spider-Man - Basically just went back and read all of Straczynski's run, since I'd only actually read some of it. Fantastic run, some of the best Spider-Man I've read tbh. Though I completely disagree, as Straczynski did, with what happened in One More Day, it was fantastically done.

I'm not sure how much of that run I've read but at least two storylines really didn't agree with me:
    The Stacy Twins and that whole Spider Totum thing. I felt both made, or tried to make, unnecessary changes to the backstory.

I much prefer Slot's lighter, more fun take on Spidy.

I'm not sure how much of that run I've read but at least two storylines really didn't agree with me:
    The Stacy Twins and that whole Spider Totum thing. I felt both made, or tried to make, unnecessary changes to the backstory.

I much prefer Slot's lighter, more fun take on Spidy.

The Stacey twins should never have been done, in fairness. That whole story was so creepy... I liked the Totum thing okay. Unnecessary sure but it paved the way for Slott's Spider-verse, which was fantastic!

I've gotten a bit bored of Slott's run and haven't read since shortly after the Superior run (apart from Spider-verse). Is Peter Parker being a big shot mogul as stupid as it sounds to me...?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Currently reading the New 52 Batman arc and loving it. Snyder is a master story teller but it's Greg Cappulo's artwork that really makes these comics epic.

The Stacey twins should never have been done, in fairness. That whole story was so creepy... I liked the Totum thing okay. Unnecessary sure but it paved the way for Slott's Spider-verse, which was fantastic!

I've gotten a bit bored of Slott's run and haven't read since shortly after the Superior run (apart from Spider-verse). Is Peter Parker being a big shot mogul as stupid as it sounds to me...?

Yeah, Spider-Verse was great but it took a long time to get to there. For the years before that event, there was nothing good, at least I felt, to show for the Twins thing.

I haven't read all of Slott's run on Spidy but from what I have read, I've really enjoyed the stuff leading up to and including Superior. Fantastic reading! Post- Superior, I was on board right up to the end of Spider-Verse. I'm still reading the new stuff but it's more so to keep up with events, not enjoying it like I was Superior. Doc Ock is still floating around so that's what's keeping me coming back the most. Next to Scarlet Spider (Ben), Superior is my favorite non-Pete-Spidy.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Recommended reading - Superman: Birthright.

All star superman as well.

All star superman as well.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 GraMoore0411

I'm doing a X-men run, half way through Age of Apocalypse and just started X-Men '92, love the throw back to one of my favourite cartoons of all time

Advertisement