Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Picked up The Flash Born to run. Looking forward to getting to read it

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nate19841

The Manhattan Projects.... Very good and quick to read. Just finished volume 3

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

How was everyone's Free Comic Book Day?

There were about 4 titles I particularly wanted to get but missed out on one of them; Assassin's Creed. I normally make a bee-line for anything Mouse Guard related but didn't see that anything available so thought no more of it. Later in the day I learned that there was a Mouse Guard story in the Boom! anthology. I do recall seeing that in the shop I visited but just glanced at the Lumberjanes image and decided to leave it for someone else. Opps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

How was everyone's Free Comic Book Day?

There were about 4 titles I particularly wanted to get but missed out on one of them; Assassin's Creed. I normally make a bee-line for anything Mouse Guard related but didn't see that anything available so thought no more of it. Later in the day I learned that there was a Mouse Guard story in the Boom! anthology. I do recall seeing that in the shop I visited but just glanced at the Lumberjanes image and decided to leave it for someone else. Opps!

I was in San Francisco so almost missed out but Bruno from Big Bang recommended a place to go and they had a great FCBD with cosplay and signings. Got everything I wanted, thankfully!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I was in San Francisco so almost missed out but Bruno from Big Bang recommended a place to go and they had a great FCBD with cosplay and signings. Got everything I wanted, thankfully!

Isotope Comics, by any chance? I was there when I visited SF a few years ago and it was great, pretty much everything I'd want in a comic shop.

Edit;

I haven't read much in the way of new comics lately, but I have been re-reading the Calvin & Hobbes hardback set that I picked up a while ago, and I still love that comic so damn much.

I also re-read the two trades of Chaykin's American Flagg! which came out around 2008. They're still fantastic comics, and I can only imagine what a revelation they must have been to read when they were first published. Heck, there are storytelling tricks in there that a bunch of people working today could do with studying and learning from.

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »
    Isotope Comics, by any chance? I was there when I visited SF a few years ago and it was great, pretty much everything I'd want in a comic shop.

That's the one! Really great place and I spent some money to support them while picking up my freebies!

Rereading Fables at the minute, up to War and Pieces. I don't know how anyone managed to read these month to month without going crazy at that point in the series. So much epicness and it moved so fast. If memory serves it really should have ended soon after this point but didn't. I've a copy of the last volume sat here I haven't read hence the reread but I smell disappointment ahead :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Picked up the 1st Volume of All New Ghostrider, Really enjoyed it finished it in one sitting , the art is quiet a departure from usual marvel stuff but it really worked here I thought

Picked up the 1st Volume of All New Ghostrider, Really enjoyed it finished it in one sitting , the art is quiet a departure from usual marvel stuff but it really worked here I thought

I recently enough read Daniel Way's run on Ghost Rider and its superb. If you like the character, I'd defo recommend it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Really ? I must check that out Ghostrider is definitely one of my favourite characters...Hate how he's portrayed in the movies though and potentially great that he's also getting a netflix series :)

• Advertisement

Really ? I must check that out Ghostrider is definitely one of my favourite characters...Hate how he's portrayed in the movies though and potentially great that he's also getting a netflix series :)

Agree with all of that. FYI, I got my copy in Chapters recently for 1/2 price; dunno if their comics sale is still going but worth a check cos it was €20 instead of €40 so proper good savings!

So.... Captain America: Steve Rogers #1, anyone?

Not a regular Cap reader so decided to give it a miss. Regarding the twist, seems interesting enough to me but not enough for me to throw another comic into an already too large pull list.

Not a regular Cap reader so decided to give it a miss. Regarding the twist, seems interesting enough to me but not enough for me to throw another comic into an already too large pull list.

I know what you mean re: large pull list. I'm starting to go broke... I didn't know the twist when I read it so it was pretty shocking! I like Nick Spencer a lot so I'm gonna stay on board this one.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I finally got around to picking up Chew Volume 11 and Twilight Children the other day.

Chew continues to be excellent - the blend of humour and imagination is fantastic, and it's testament to the writing in the series that it manages to balance being hysterically funny with characters that are rounded enough for me to care about their fates.

Twilight Children was good and, oddly enough, almost too short. Cooke's art style meshes with Hernandez's writing better than I might have guessed, and if anything I wish this had been longer. As with the Palomar stories I would love to spend more time just following the daily lives of these characters. Bundo's story packs more emotion and empathy into probably less than 20 pages than some comics manage in an entire series, which is just one of those examples of how damn good Gilbert Hernandez is as a writer.

Next up for me is probably going to be Island #7, it's pretty much the only thing I'm feeling the urge to read in singles at the minute.

Finally got around to starting The Sandman after all these years. Just started volume 4 and t h, I feel like never reading anything else again. This book is just so good...

Hyperbole aside, I also just read Nighthawk #1 and it is pretty great. Like Marvel's answer to Batman.

I was kinda disappointed with the last 2 issues of Superman: American Alien, unfortunately.

DC Universe Rebirth #1 was surprisingly great, I thought, aside from the
    Watchmen
    twist, which I'm not fond of at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Picked up my DC Rebirth last week and enjoyed it, although somewhat confused about plenty of characters and what was going on. As someone who doesn't know about
    Watchmen, saw the film and thought it was ****, so don't know anything about it or the universe
    I was really lost for parts and the end.

Picked up Super Earth One volumes 2 & 3 after getting 1 last month and enjoying it. Also on a pure impulse picked up Dredd Dust #1 & #2 since it said it was a short follow from the film, of which I enjoyed. Enjoyed them for the quick read that they were

Finally got around to starting The Sandman after all these years. Just started volume 4 and t h, I feel like never reading anything else again. This book is just so good...

Hyperbole aside, I also just read Nighthawk #1 and it is pretty great. Like Marvel's answer to Batman.

I was kinda disappointed with the last 2 issues of Superman: American Alien, unfortunately.

DC Universe Rebirth #1 was surprisingly great, I thought, aside from the
    Watchmen
    twist, which I'm not fond of at all.

Sandman is magnificent, one of those books that really benefits from rereads. I read it about ten or twelve years ago when I started getting back into comics, and one thing I've really liked about re-reading it is the depth of it - every time I've re-read it I've picked up on little things that I only catch because I've then learned more about comics history.

I saw a preview for Nighthawk and it looks pretty good, alright. Also particularly nice to see a Marvel comic specifically set somewhere that's not San Francisco or New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just read the first issue of Civil War II
    they should've brought Squirrel Girl with them against Thanos

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

The Amazing Spider-Man: American Son - Had a gap of around twelve TPBs about halfway between the Brand New Day and Big Time runs that I've been trying to fill before finding out BND is now getting Compete Collections. Plus The Gauntlet volumes seem like a chore to find these ...used old days?

Anyway, in American Son Norman Osborn tries to get his son to be a poopy looking Captain America. Peter Parker makes this crack to a happy Harry Osborn about wanting two of whatever he's on which seems odd considering his buddy is a recovering drug addict. Then an issue later he asks, out of concern, if Harry's using again cause of plot developments. So Parker was just being an ass the first time around?

The Amazing Spider-Man: Died In Your Arms Tonight
    - I do wish writers other than Slott cared about Spider-Man and the Human Torch's friendship.

Spidey:
    Talk about coming full circle. This old atomic research facility? This was Otto's first base. What are you doing?
    Torch:
    Twittering. "Spidey's getting to first base with Doc Ock."
    S-M:
    This. This is why no-one likes you.

S-M:
    There's a keypad.
    HT:
    Try his birthday.
    S-M:
    I don't know his birthday.
    HT:
    Try my birthday.
    S-M:
    Why on Earth would he--?
    HT:
    People love me.

Plus ASM #600 is a lot better than ASM #500 was. 500 was clip show, 600 moves the story forward. I mean, I'm assuming that that whole Doc Ock cancer storyline goes somewhere...

The Amazing Spider-Man: Big Time: The Complete Collection 4 - Alpha's name is Andrew Maguire ISWYDT. Venom's the anti-SpiderHyphen!Man, Phil Urich's the anti-Peter Parker, I like that Alpha's Spidey without the Uncle Ben moment
    until Parker provides it himself
    . I do think in some ways the Human Torch is what Spider-Man would look like if Spider-Man had found fame prior to Ben's death so it's nice to see that briefly acknowledged in Alpha in a way.

Did I mention the Human Torch? I'm not writing these after having watched the Trank FF movie or anything. No siree. Why is Jordan's Torch a xenophobe? Whhhy?

There's a random issue of Preacher inserted into the collection for some reaon as well. tongue.png

Indestructible Hulk 4: Humanity Bomb
    Hulk 1: Banner DOA
    * - Not self-contained enough for the start of a series, not enough resolution for a payoff to Indestructible Hulk eye em oh.

Avengers World 3: Next World - Resolution felt abrupt for a storyline that started two books ago.

Avengers 3 (Hickman HC)

JLA 2 (The Deluxe Edition)* - Shame that whole moment of clarity the Joker had was completely ruined by Greg Land just copy/pasting in Brian Bolland's Killing Joke art, huh?

Wonder Woman: Earth One 1* - Book seems to be asking for a healthy balance between a patriarchy and matriarchy but I dunno if it's doing it on purpose. Steve Trevor seems to be black just so he can mention slavery in a speech which is a tad bleh.

Batman and Son (The Deluxe Edition)*
    Batman RIP (The Deluxe Edition)*
    Batman and Robin 1: Batman Reborn (The may be the Deluxe but I can't remember if there was any other edition Edition)* - Rereading Batman and Robin while tackling Morrison's Batman run. It's made easier by having listened to Morrison on Fatman on Batman interviews and reading the volumes that precede it so Knight and Squire don't seem as out there as they once did. Reading a Geordie accent written down is still hellish. Even though I'm reading Morrison's JLA run and can take a version of Batman where every comic happened one way or another, his name-dropping the Justice League still threw me. That Batman and Son pop art sequence was great. Yay comics!

Assassin's Creed FCBD - The Assasins side of thigs looks to be an interlude in the ongoing while the Templars side is an intro to that book. I'll be looking at both eventually anyway.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - Smoke and Shadow Part 1
    Avatar: The Last Airbender - Smoke and Shadow Part 2
    Avatar: The Last Airbender - Smoke and Shadow Part 3
    The Legend of Korra FCBD
    - I like Gene Yang's Avatar work, can hear the characters' voices clearly in my head, but, man, what a difference it makes having co-creator Michael Dante DiMartino doing Korra. It really is (with the art) just the show in comic form and bodes well for that ongong series whenever it arrives. Odd seeing Doug Wheatley doing How To Train Your Dragon. Even odder seeing an attempt at giving Plants Vs. Zombies a story.

King Conan 2: The Phoenix on the Sword - Man in his pants with a crown on his head gets a sword with a bird on it so your argument is invalid.

Asterix and the Missing Scroll

Cautionary Fables and Fairytales
    (Europe Edition)* - In this for the Asia and Africa editions but it's a nice read all the same.

*Digital version

• Advertisement

Flash Rebirth #1
    Superman Rebirth #1
    Batman Rebirth #1

This is really getting me hyped, I've even branched out for a few other series in the Rebirth line. Nice introductory pieces especially for me as there is clear reference to some past stuff I'm not aware of.

So much stuff in my Big Bang Delivery

Batman #1
    Superman #1
    Flash #1
    Action Comics
    Detective Comics
    Lucas Stand

The last one I just saw on their weekly release email, and saw it was starting. Same guy who did Sons of Anarchy, and the synopsis sounded good !

Look forward to getting home to get stuck in !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Re reading World War Hulk

Lucas Stand was pretty interesting to say the least :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Started Planet Hulk omnibus today. So far it's decent

Caught up with Civil War II issues 1 and 2 last night. Enjoying them so far. Once we got the news, months ago, that it's minority report with Iron Man on one side and Captain Marvel on the other, you know well enough what to expect in the first few issues. I find that Bendis books can be hit or miss with dialogue and was pleased with what I read in these issues. Loved the Spidy quip to Ulysses about meeting Tony: "Yeah it's great, then you get over it."

Excited to see if issue 3 will live up to the hype.

Currently re-reading Saga from the beginning. I had gotten to the end of vol 4 and then got busy with other stuff so vols 5 & 6 have just been sitting on my shelf. I figured a full run through would be fun and I was right. This book is too good!

Finished vol 5 of Sandman. Another great arc; Barbie was a great character and poor oul Martin Tenbones hit me in the feels!

Just started Superman: Secret Identity and it's such a weird, cool take on Superman; really enjoying it so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

Batman & Robin 2: Batman vs. Robin*
    Batman & Robin 3: Batman & Robin Must Die!*
    Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne*
    Batman: The Black Mirror*

Still making my way through Morrison's Batman run and getting to Snyder. Unless I was mistaking him for the wrong Snyder I'm sure I remember people whose opinions I track not being big on him (coupled with New 52 irritations) a few years ago which seems to have changed in recent months. I like what I've read of his thus far anyway.

Suicide Squad #1 (FCBD edition) - Can't remember anything about it.

Hellboy 3: The Chained Coffin and Others
    Hellboy 4: The Right Hand of Doom
    Hellboy 5: Conqueror Worm
    Hellboy 6: Strange Places

With Hellboy in Hell bringing about some sort of closure (Oh.) I decided to just buy the numbered volumes and see if I could click with it eventually because I liked the concept/art but the earlier volumes/films/animation/game weren't doing it for me. Thankfully it happened with volume 3 so I think it's the smaller stories that did it.

Serenity FCDB 2016 - Sorta kinda the tale of how Zoe and Wash met if you're into that sort of thang. Also has a Hellboy story with art I don't care for and one for Aliens which'll probably end up in the Aliens: Defiance at some point.

Doctor Who FCBD 2016

Assassin's Creed 1: Trial by Fire
    - Ubisoft pushes game release back a year so has a billion spinoff stories come out in 2016 instead.

James Bond: VARGR - I do enjoy Bond being uriney about not being allowed a gun on British soil what with his not being MI5 an' all. Q being an emasculating jerk is quite pleasant as well though I wish his design wasn't so meh to my eyes.

Bill & Ted's Most Triumphant Return - Seems to be impenetrable if you don't know Bogus Journey. Lying cover art ahoy with
    Cleopatra (at a guess) being absent from the book despite being on the front

Back to the Future: Untold Tales and Alternate Timelines - Enjoyable bunch of side stories expanding on the movies mostly framed by Doc Brown narrating them to his kids. There is one which I think is totally lousy and that's
    filler of Biff Tannen, while travelling back from 2015 to 1955, getting stuck in millions of years past and uses a raptor which stole Grays Sports Almanac to power Mr Fusion
    . There's also one that makes George McFly look like a creepy clingy ass post-BttF which I find unpleasant.

Avengers World 4: Before Time Runs Out
    Avengers: Time Runs Out
    Secret Wars
    Uncanny Avengers 1: Lost Future
    Uncanny Inhumans 2: Time Crush

Wasn't impressed with Avengers World as is but skimming it to write this junk it looks like it might have been better not reading Before Time Runs Out before Time Runs Out.

I liked Secret Wars. Halfway through it felt like there were holes where you're expected to read a tie-in series but, at least for Marvel now, I think my time spent on Battleworld is enough as is. Feel sorry for anyone using it as a starting point.

Guess if Johnny Storm's not going to be involved it's better that he be out of it the way he was rather than as a tool in Doctor Doom's Richards measuring contest. Or bottled.

Uncanny Avengers didn't work for me at all. Seem like a bunch of characters thrown together who don't have anything else better to do
    cue Spider-Man ditching it
    and Deadpool didn't read like Deadpool to me. Uncanny Inhumans is better despite having Inhumans. Torch
    hooking up with Medusa is blech. He's usually had wacky taste in girlfriends but his ex's sister who was his own sister's replacement on the FF
    is a bit much. Also, Ahura looks way too much like Maximus. wink.png

*Digital version

Ridley wrote: »
    Batman & Robin 2: Batman vs. Robin*
    Batman & Robin 3: Batman & Robin Must Die!*
    Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne*
    Batman: The Black Mirror*

Still making my way through Morrison's Batman run and getting to Snyder. Unless I was mistaking him for the wrong Snyder I'm sure I remember people whose opinions I track not being big on him (coupled with New 52 irritations) a few years ago which seems to have changed in recent months. I like what I've read of his thus far anyway.

I really love Snyder. I think his Batman is up there with the best. I wasn't big on Black Mirror but that's mostly just cos I can't buy into anyone else in the cowl, even Dick...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

I have actually been reading Snyder's New52 Batman run lately.

Started with:

Batman Vol 4: Zero Year - Secret City & Vol 5: Zero Year - Dark City

Have now read:

Batman Vol 1: The Court of Owls
    Batman Vol 2: The City of Owls

(Detective Comics Vol 1: Faces of Death, read for backstory)

Batman Vol 3: Death of the Family

Have ordered:

Batman Vol 6: The Graveyard Shift
    Batman Eternal Vol 1

Advertisement