Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I just read the first issue of Astro City. Fcuk me, that was a well written comic. Lots to catch up on!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Using Marvel unlimited I'm making my way through the original Amazing Spider-Man run. On issue 153 while most issues aren't great there's some good ones and it's great seeing all the villains backstories.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Bought American Gods upto date so far is very slow, not as inconsistent as the tv show but it is still weird enough. Picked up Dark Days The forge and The Casting, Metal will drag out over 25 issues, silly to run it after The Doomsday clock too, DC putting a lot into this next chapter of their characters hope it pays off with a good story and some closure to rebirth.

You'd be just as well reading The Forge, The Casting and then Metal 1-6. So many of the tie-ins will contribute nothing to the story.

Also, Metal is before Doomsday Clock, not after...

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭KayJay86

Just finished the complete Glory saga by Image.  I know I'm pretty late to the game on that one but it was much better than I thought it'd be.  Must look for some more in that universe.

• Advertisement

The first two issues of Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man were pretty great! Street level Spidey stuff, far removed from Dan Slott's Amazing Rich-Man.

Just read Astro City: Life in the Big City and holy fcuk, was it great. Been meaning to get to it for years now; so glad I finally did.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭KayJay86

Finished Vol.1 of Saga. Best 1st Volume I've ever read. Ordered the next 3 already, bloody prime doesn't do same day delivery lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Xofpod

KayJay86 wrote: »
    Finished Vol.1 of Saga. Best 1st Volume I've ever read. Ordered the next 3 already, bloody prime doesn't do same day delivery lol.

Great series.

Just finished Dark Nights: Metal #1. Holy fcuk, that last page!!

Captain America #25 and Secret Empire #8 were great... but I'm ready for this story to end now...

• Advertisement

Metal is something else alright love that is was the son rather than the father too shows progression rather than a nostalgic return to the character. It's opened my eyes too to the involvement of Batman to the actual story going forward with it, as I said in the other thread can't believe it will be 6 months till the end.

Metal is something else alright love that is was the son rather than the father too shows progression rather than a nostalgic return to the character. It's opened my eyes too to the involvement of Batman to the actual story going forward with it, as I said in the other thread can't believe it will be 6 months till the end.

I also forgot just how great Capullo draws Superman.

Justice League story is going in a very interesting direction think I'm ready to drop Suicide Squad the art is very harsh and storyline way too rehashed. I'll give it till the end of the current arc, still loving American Gods but it's very little content each issue am glad it's following the book rather than the tv show as I really missed the spook show of Mr town et al in the tv show.

Just finished Spidey, a 12 issue mini about the high-school days of Spider-man by Robbie Thompson and Irish artist, Nate Stockman. Great little series, perfect for any Spider-fan!

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Just finished Spidey, a 12 issue mini about the high-school days of Spider-man by Robbie Thompson and Irish artist, Nate Stockman. Great little series, perfect for any Spider-fan!
    Really enjoyed Spidey :D

They also recently did Spider-man - Master Plan #1 which was fun :)

If you can read this, you're too close!

Action Comics Mr Oz 5 issue arc is Lenticular Covers, hopefully no button esque problem with stock this time round.

Action Comics Mr Oz 5 issue arc is Lenticular Covers, hopefully no button esque problem with stock this time round.

They're gonna end up overdoing the lenticular covers and killing it. I got the Button lenticulars but only cos I happened to be in the US at the time so I figured why not.

Currently re-reading Captain America: Man Out of Time by Mark Waid and it is so so good. I was reading issue 3 this morning thinking how great it'd be if Waid did another run on Cap... then I remembered it's coming soon!

Secret Empire #9 was good. Looking forward to the final episode, as much for the end as for the issue. Marvel's events have just gotten so drawn out, particularly when compared to DC's, that it's really trying. Also, they're so damn expensive...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

If you really want the Action Comics lenticular comics order them from Forbidden Planet UK website but I doubt you will see any europe copyright issue this time.

As for overduing the lenticular covers leave that to Marvel 53 Legacy Lenticular comics over 7 weeks.

McLoughlin wrote: »
    If you really want the Action Comics lenticular comics order them from Forbidden Planet UK website but I doubt you will see any europe copyright issue this time.

As for overduing the lenticular covers leave that to Marvel 53 Legacy Lenticular comics over 7 weeks.

Jesus... the upshot of that is, apart from Captain America, I really don't care about Legacy. Marvel comics are just not doing it for me lately...

• Advertisement

Too many Marvel reboots for me, gotta hope Supreme Leader Donald isn't a Secret Empire fan too that last page was awesome.

Too many Marvel reboots for me, gotta hope Supreme Leader Donald isn't a Secret Empire fan too that last page was awesome.

Yeah, too many reboots, too many events that "will change everything" and tbh, I just really miss Steve Rogers being the good guy and I really miss Thor.....

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Isn't more that Marvel hasn't really had a reboot? Scerct wars was supposed to be but weren't really. Here is Miles Ultimate spider man with no real reason.

Isn't more that Marvel hasn't really had a reboot? Scerct wars was supposed to be but weren't really. Here is Miles Ultimate spider man with no real reason.

Sorry, I meant renumbering for no real reason. They do "reboots" like Secret Wars that don't really reboot anything. I do love Miles Morales though...!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,182 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I find DC's tendency for total reboots far more annoying than any of Marvels softer shufflings.

pjohnson wrote: »
    I find DC's tendency for total reboots far more annoying than any of Marvels softer shufflings.

Agreed, the whole "crisis" thing happening every few years is annoying. But at least DC is currently getting it right with Rebirth. They're addressing and fixing a lot of bad stuff from the New52, their characters and stories are more fun and vibrant, their events are shorter and more focused and their price-point, combined with the release frequency makes them more engaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

Assassin's Creed: Last Descendants - Locus
    Assassin's Creed 3: Homecoming

I]Assassin's Creed:[/I Templars 2: Cross of War

James Bond: Hammerhead

Star Wars 2 hardcover
    Star Wars: Darth Vader 2 hardcover

Boruto 1
    Dragon Ball Super 1
    - I think I'm on board with follow-up series by copycat artists. A plus with Super is that Toyotarou has a consistent style when the TV series looks so fugly at times. It's an interesting hybrid of manga and anime continuity. Probably should've included the separate Resurrection F manga for completionists' sake but I found it funny that the abridged Battle of Gods aftermath is basically "Frieza's back!" then "Frieza's dead again!" in the next chapter. Wish that it was an intentional joke about mortality in the franchise. ;)

Hellboy 11: The Bride of Hell and Others
    Hellboy 12: The Storm and the Fury

Civil War II* - Decided to read it as background reading ahead of the tie-ins from Uncannys Avengers and Inhumans, and due to a lack of Marvel reading lately.

Gotham Central 3: On the Freak Beat
    Gotham Central 4: Corrigan

Batman: Contagion - Big fat meh. It's waiting around for them to come up with a cure for an uncurable disease and the journey there wasn't particularly interesting. I don't get on with Kelley Jones' Nosferatu-esque skulking Batman. There's a moment where he's leaning over his test tubes which is off-putting. Gotham Central had something similar but, for me, it worked there because it's from the cops' POV. There is, however, a moment in the book somewhere which sees Batman lifting his pinky to drink from a teacup in Wayne Manor which almost makes up for the chore that was reading that Batman/Deadman Aztec arc post-Contagion.

The idea was to move from Contagion through Legacy to Cataclysm then a re-read of No Man's Land in one go (more or less) but Legacy volume 2 is several months away from release so I have a stack of books with a hole gathering dust.

Batman Arkham: Two-Face* - Well, I was never going to get used to the "Harvey Kent" thing.:p Nice to see some pre-Star Wars Doug Wheatley art. Think he was the one who had the 'evil' side with long fingernail which wasn't the best look for the character. I'm interested in the turn around time for that Joker's Asylum one-shot being created because it was released two months - ahhhh - after The Dark Knight and has an Aaron Eckhart lookalike character who receives the movie Two-Face's origin.

Superman Action Comics: Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 1
    Justice League: Rebirth Deluxe Edition Book 1

Trying a thing in which I at least read all of the first deluxe DC Rebirth books of each run. The idea is to get to characters that I'm not particularly familiar with - looking ahead that might just be Aquaman (yay...) - on the naive assumption that all of their books will get the hardcover treatment eventually. Plus I prefer getting two TPBs' worth of content at the same time as it gives a better idea of how a run will progress after the initial storyline so this format works for me.

Justice League was fine, Action Comics was largely one fight stretched out over several issues. Was Death of Superman like this?

*Digital version

^^Death of Superman was pretty much that, yep, except a lot of exposition. DoS is pretty intensely boring.

Metal 2 and Teen Titans tie in very interesting reads, am looking forward to how it will progress. Most recent Action Comics nearly made me vomit, wrong just plain wrong, again am curious to see how it too will progress but it is a jumping the shark moment if ever there was one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,804 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I agree about Action Comics.
    They built him up to be someone else, with the way he took Tim. I don't think he is who he says and is tricking Superman

Advertisement