Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Ridley wrote: »
    Was Death of Superman like this?

DOS was really just an escalating fight scene, though they do some interesting things with the layout in the second half.

It's all really just a prologue to the Reign of the Supermen, an infinitely better story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Ridley

I doubt it's better than Andy Samberg's Metropolis Kid. wink.png

I'll probably get to Death of Superman some (Dooms)day, like if it shows up cheap digitally. The reason I asked about it was because of Dan Jurgens being on that and Action Comics. I was wondering if, like when Chris Claremont brought Exiles to a crawl, it could possibly have been an older writer putting out work that doesn't quite fit with current books as the reason Action Comics didn't do much for me. Not sure how to explain it.

Maybe I'll find out if Batman Beyond gets Deluxe'd.

Seriously though, put Andy Samberg's Metropolis Kid into Supergirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Has anyone read about this in the Irish times?

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/art-and-design/our-limerick-crime-comic-i-wanted-to-do-something-irish-1.3225423

Our Limerick crime comic: ‘I wanted to do something Irish’
    The graphic novel Savage Town ‘treats Limerick the way The Wire treats Baltimore’

You don’t often see the streets of 1990s Limerick in a publication from Image Comics, publisher of Spawn and The Walking Dead, but they’re everywhere in Savage Town, which is “one of those graphic novel yokes”, as its title page proclaims.

The book is created by Philip Barrett and Declan Shalvey, with colouring by Jordie Bellaire. Barrett, the artist, is a stalwart of the Irish indie-comics scene. Shalvey, the writer, is a comic-book superstar, well-known as a penciller on high-profile American titles such as Deadpool, Moon Knight and The Punisher.
    Who knows what Shalvey’s American fans will make of small-time Limerick criminals who say things like, “Now better get you home so I can head away and tear de lad off meself”? The beautifully rendered, blackly funny Savage Town may need to come with a glossary.

This is a kind of coming-of-age moment for Irish comics. When Barrett and Shalvey were younger in the 1980s and 1990s, Ireland was a comic-book desert. “You could get the English comics in Donegal but not much else,” says Barrett. “Battle and Eagle and 2000AD ... I can remember vividly the first 2000AD I read. Finding that in a newsagents, it fried my brain.”

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Johnner69

I read Savage Town. It’s Lock Stock/Snatch/Layer Cake filtered through a Love/Hate lens rather than The Wire’s multi-faceted exploration of a corrupt city. Still, I can’t think of a more impressive Irish graphic novel or long-form comic: it’s lucidly and adroitly realised. Though the gangstering it describes is a touch standard issue, the telling is impressive, with colloquial language working in perfect harmony with absorbing artwork to conjure a gangster-centric Limerick that’s very vivid and very much alive. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Johnner69 wrote: »
    I read Savage Town. It’s Lock Stock/Snatch/Layer Cake filtered through a Love/Hate lens rather than The Wire’s multi-faceted exploration of a corrupt city. Still, I can’t think of a more impressive Irish graphic novel or long-form comic: it’s lucidly and adroitly realised. Though the gangstering it describes is a touch standard issue, the telling is impressive, with colloquial language working in perfect harmony with absorbing artwork to conjure a gangster-centric Limerick that’s very vivid and very much alive. Recommended.

Sold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,802 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Speaking of Irish set comics, Dunno if it's available everywhere, but I read the first book of Zombies Hi. A zobie comic set in Derry. Was grand and enjoyable, but with the first volume collecting the first 5 or so issues, I don't think I ever bothered to see if there were any more. Was made in Derry.

Edit: Just looked and there weren't any more

And I've said it before since it was funny, but who can forget Superman's visit to Ireland
    https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11111/111114806/3296120-2196032824-26820.jpg
    https://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/11111/111114806/3296121-1151223398-26820.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Johnner69

I've never seen an issue of Zombies Hi, but always considered the actual title an intriguing one, with a real whiff of commercial potential.

Decades of 'Oirish' content in every creative medium has left me desensitised to it: I almost have to be told there's something objectionable about those Superman pages!

For a comics portrayal of the Irish that's more authentic, Savage Town's Phil Barrett - along with fellow Irish cartoonists - has produced Bualadh Bos, a Beano-style comic based on stories and anecdotes provided by pupils from an inner city Limerick primary school. This follows two issues of Buzz, the same thing but with Dublin kids - they're a little Give Up Yer Auld Sins, a little Overheard In Dublin, and not a little brilliant. (Ha! Some of the kids are well dodgy!)

It wasn't the language in Superman that I was referring to, though it was bad. It was the fact that he landed in an oil field. Clearly one of many oil fields in Ireland, which is in Europe. That also has to be specified

• Registered Users Posts: 18,083 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I think the Action Comics may turn out to be real somehow.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I had somehow thought that Savage Town was a limited series rather than an OGN. I picked it up this weekend and flew through it - Phil Barrett's art is as great as always, and the story has that grounded-crime feel that the likes of Brubaker & Phillips do so well in Criminal.

I'd love to see more stories in this world, so I hope there's a follow-up. Given how impenetrable a lot of the dialogue could be to someone who hasn't been exposed to authentic Irish accents or vernacular conversation, I'm impressed that Image were up for publishing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Marvel Legacy #1

Actually does some great groundwork for what is to come and is kickass. Well worth the read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Finally getting around to reading the Whedon / Cassaday Astonishing X-Men series! It's great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

pjohnson wrote: »
    Marvel Legacy #1

Actually does some great groundwork for what is to come and is kickass. Well worth the read.

The lenticular cover was a bit naff it didn't work that well. The overall story was good but I feel it would have worked better like 2000 AD with several small anthology type stories.

Now I'm back at college my to read pile is building up and up but I'm making a start on the new IDW event First Strike.

White Knight issue 1 is an interesting read, War of Jokes and Riddles ending was meh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Rasputin Vol. 1 by Alex Grecian. So far so good. Good art work and the author seems to making a decent attempt to place the main character in his historical (albeit mix of fantasy) context.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Manora

Superman - Brian Azzarello is an intriguing writer and Jim Lee can draw anything.

Robin- Been reading it for the past 9 years or so lol justw aiting for Spoiler to die so Tim can get back in costume.

100 Bullets - Brian Azzarello's regular spot of mastery joined by the excellent Eduardo Risso, it would be a crime not to be reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Planned to get some reading done over the Christmas but hardly any down time!
    Started Weapon X for the first time and think it is class! About 3/4 way through.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Can't believe I haven't posted in this thread since I wrote about Savage Town :( Just don't seem to have the time to find and read comics lately.

I picked up a few new things yesterday, all Image stuff because that seems to be about the only publisher where I can easily keep track of things I'm interested in without also having rage-inducing WTF moments like seeing Vertigo's announcement about doing an Absolute Sandman:Overture ($125 for an Absolute edition of a comic that's 224 pages long? Oh, no, it's ok, they'll pad the pagecount by including the original pencils for the entire thing, that sounds less like an absolute gouge now....).

Anyway....

Sex Criminals: Fourgy
    I'm enjoying the series but it is at times outright strange how effortlessly Fraction & Zdarsky have converted this from a very funny, whimsical, filthy series about what amounts to sex-related superpowers into a much more character-focused series about identity, mental health and self-worth which is quite sombre in tone but still often very filthy and funny. I wouldn't have guessed from the first trade that the characters would be fleshed out as well as they currently are, but I'm still on board to see where this goes next.

Wicked & Divine: Imperial Phase, Part 2
    A bunch of interesting strands of story coming to a head here, including
    one character death that I thought was sad and poignant, and another that had me thinking "ABOUT BLOODY TIME SOMEONE DID THAT"
    . Several interesting very spoilery revelations towards the end as well that make me think I'll need to fill the time until the next trade by re-reading the whole thing and see if there are any little clues buried along the way that I haven't picked up on so far.

While I still occasionally wonder what Phonogram might have been like if Gillen & McKelvie had been able to get enough regular readers to keep it going as an ongoing monthly, I remain convinced that WicDiv is actually a much better refinement and iteration of the interesting ideas and themes in there. Plus, far less Britpop references, which is almost certainly a good thing :D

Injection: Volume 3
    Consistently good stuff, and I'm enjoying the approach of mythology-as-sci-fi that Ellis is taking for this series, it's a good way of giving it a different feel to a lot of his other sci-fi material. The artwork in this was, if anything, even better than previous volumes -
    the manifestation of the spriggans was terrifying in a way that's rarely so effective
    . Now I just need to wait for the next volume.

I have yet to read Royal City: Next of Kin but should be getting to it shortly.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Books of Doom. Marvel's origin story of him, how he came to be the rather ambigous anti-villain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

what do you do when you fall behind?

I've 40+comics in the backlog and t grows each week
    i'm kind of thinking just to go through them and only read important ones and just skip over the fillers

• Advertisement

dunworth1 wrote: »
    what do you do when you fall behind?

I've 40+comics in the backlog and t grows each week
    i'm kind of thinking just to go through them and only read important ones and just skip over the fillers

Heck I've comics bought in the 90s that i yet to read just let the backlog grow and one day when your old you can spend all your time in retirement catching up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

Got the first Issue of the New Batman monthly book series from Eagle Moss.
    First one is Zero year for a fiver and part 2 for ten. Sadly I think Part 3 goes up to 15. I would love a series like this on sale in newsagents for ten euro a month.
    There doing more of the Modern Batman era which suits me.

So am reading Dark Nights Metal. It's nearly finished and I still have no idea what's going on. :) Maybe I need to go back and read them all at once

CastorTroy wrote: »
    So am reading Dark Nights Metal. It's nearly finished and I still have no idea what's going on. :) Maybe I need to go back and read them all at once

I understand where your coming from DC reacted against Marvels "heaps of titles of out new event" with a slow release no more than a couple of titles a week but spread it out and jaysus they really did spread it out 30 issues from July 2017 to March 2018.

Then they have all these new comics coming out "from the pages of Metal". Think that Plasticman egg is the only thing I've recognised so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

DC are not very welcoming to new readers.

I haven't read any of those "from the pages of metal" aka "the new age of Dc Heroes" titles though I think they age pretty much separate and as you mentioned The Terrifics will have some connections like Plastic Man And Mr Terrific its pretty much a new start.

Well there is the above "the new age of Dc Heroes", the Young Animal line are re starting again and later this year Superman and Justice League will be having a soft reboot aka relaunch. So a few things fro new readers

Marvel legacy ha the ironing is delicious

fecking reboot infinity(I've lost count now) beginning in summer, oh lordy lord collecting comics and OCD is a horror show. DC doing somewhat of a reshuffle rather than a reboot but we shall see how that goes too, I picked up Kick ass #1 last week strange but has my interest I'm grabbing Hit Girl #1 tomorrow too hoping it's more of the same.

Marvel legacy ha the ironing is delicious

fecking reboot infinity(I've lost count now) beginning in summer, oh lordy lord collecting comics and OCD is a horror show. DC doing somewhat of a reshuffle rather than a reboot but we shall see how that goes too, I picked up Kick ass #1 last week strange but has my interest I'm grabbing Hit Girl #1 tomorrow too hoping it's more of the same.

Marvel Fresh Start several months after Marvel Legacy and the "no more relaunch's or big events" talk.

Posted on twitter Marvel over the past 5 years

Oct. 2012: Marvel NOW!
    July 2013: 2nd wave Marvel NOW!
    Dec. 2013: All-New Marvel NOW! (3rd wave Marvel NOW!)
    Oct. 2014: Avengers NOW! (4th wave Marvel NOW!)
    July 2015: All-New, All-Different Marvel
    Oct. 2016: Marvel NOW! 2.0
    Sept. 2017: Marvel Legacy
    May 2018: Marvel Fresh Start

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭dunworth1

McLoughlin wrote: »
    Marvel Fresh Start several months after Marvel Legacy and the "no more relaunch's or big events" talk.

Posted on twitter Marvel over the past 5 years

Oct. 2012: Marvel NOW!
    July 2013: 2nd wave Marvel NOW!
    Dec. 2013: All-New Marvel NOW! (3rd wave Marvel NOW!)
    Oct. 2014: Avengers NOW! (4th wave Marvel NOW!)
    July 2015: All-New, All-Different Marvel
    Oct. 2016: Marvel NOW! 2.0
    Sept. 2017: Marvel Legacy
    May 2018: Marvel Fresh Start

i'm a dc guy and I've looked into trying to get into Marvel but all these reboots are confusing they also dont generally seem to be well received by people

Advertisement