Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Just got this gorgeous hardback:

jul150641.jpg

I've already got every issue it covers but it's just so nice, I had to get it anyway. It'll look great on the shelf!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Just got this gorgeous hardback:

jul150641.jpg

I've already got every issue it covers but it's just so nice, I had to get it anyway. It'll look great on the shelf!

You gona try get it signed at the Big Bang Next week when LATOUR appears next week.

Working my way through The Venom On going with Flash Thompson thanks to Spider Island. Enjoying the take on his relationship with the Symbiote.
    This in turn lead me to Caranage who's had a good few mini series over the last 4 years. Which was strange cause when last I left him the Sentry had flown him into space and tore him in half.

Read the Caranage mini by Zeb Wells. Not a bad return of the character.
    The use of the Symbiote for tech is a nice twist. And Spidey and Iron man do well in their team up.

Then onto Carnage, U.S.A.
    Where in Carnage takes over a small town and puppets people via the Symboite. Until Spiderman, and some Avengers turn up to put an end to it.
    Or make it worse.

We also get to see what happened to the other Symboites from Hybrid.
    And more GI Venom action which is always fun.

Minimum Carnage
    This was just bad. And Venom seemed very inconsistent in it.And the arguing between him and Scarlet spider was irritating.
    Plus Cassidy appears to have regrown his legs at some point. And the ending could have been a tad more hardcore.

Superior Carnage.
    A nice change of pace. Removing Cassidy altogether after the results of Minimum Carnage. Never read much about Claw of the Wizard before. But they gave The Wizard a very sympathetic personality. Really enjoyed the catch up page at the start of it. Plus some interesting design work on the Carnage suit.
    Althou Major spoilers on the happenings in Spiderman. That wasn't expected but made sense as to the Body count being left by the book.

Deadpool vs Caranage was as one might expect. OTT Fights, and silly jokes.

And the Axis stuff was entertaing to see his Serial killer mind approach the task of being a Superhero. The act of setting a bank on fire to prevent a robbery being a high point.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 masdeal

Currently I'm reading Marvel and DC comics right now.
    Marvel:
    Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe - Deadpool is snapped and kill all the entire Marvel character :D
    Original Sins - The Watcher is die and his eye is stolen. Avengers is looking for the culprit.

DC
    Trinity War - Didn't know what's going on, just started to read this comic.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Just finished vols 1,2 & 3 of Avengers Time runs out. Can't decide if it is an awe inspiring doc or complete nonsense, it has elements of both. Secret Wars makes a little more sense now (I think???) and I will get volume 4 at some point soon.

Also read Squirrel Girl Vol 2 #1 and it's just wonderful, certainly the best thing marvel are publishing right now imo. Also Brian K Vaughn's Paper Girls, I have an emotional attachment to Cleveland in the 80s so I maybe biased towards liking it but like it I did and I'm excited for the next installment.

masdeal wrote: »
    Marvel:
    Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe - Deadpool is snapped and kill all the entire Marvel character :D

I liked the self awareness of the reason why he was doing it.

It's a similar vibe in the Deadpool Vs Carnage book.

• Advertisement

MarkHall wrote: »
    You gona try get it signed at the Big Bang Next week when LATOUR appears next week.

Nah. I'm not really into the whole getting stuff signed thing...!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Nah. I'm not really into the whole getting stuff signed thing...!

I wasn't either until recently. A friend told me that he likes getting stuff signed and made out to himself. I got stuff signed before but only ever because I was at a gig and was like "ah sure I might as well."

I was at the Will Sliney signing recently and when I handed him my book he asked for my name and then signed it, made out to me. Didn't think anything of it at the time but I actually kinda like it the more and more every time I look at it.

For a book as good as Southern Bastards and with a fancy hardcover like that, it's worth heading along to and giving it a shot, I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Just finished vols 1,2 & 3 of Avengers Time runs out. Can't decide if it is an awe inspiring doc or complete nonsense, it has elements of both. Secret Wars makes a little more sense now (I think???) and I will get volume 4 at some point soon.

+1 for awe inspiring doc

His Avengers and New Avengers runs need to be read concurrently. A tall ask but I thought the story played out great across the life of those books. I know everyone isn't a fan but I am loving Secret Wars, most likely because of my investment in those Avengers titles.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,819 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Started Volume 4 of Transmetropolitan

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I wasn't either until recently. A friend told me that he likes getting stuff signed and made out to himself. I got stuff signed before but only ever because I was at a gig and was like "ah sure I might as well."

I was at the Will Sliney signing recently and when I handed him my book he asked for my name and then signed it, made out to me. Didn't think anything of it at the time but I actually kinda like it the more and more every time I look at it.

For a book as good as Southern Bastards and with a fancy hardcover like that, it's worth heading along to and giving it a shot, I reckon.

I'm not a big fan of getting stuff signed most of the time, but I've warmed to the idea since moving to the UK if it's in an environment where you actually get to have a bit of a chat with the people involved.

My favourite signing experience was actually the first signing I went to after moving to the UK - Ian Edgington and D'Israeli were doing a signing for...something, probably a collection of something that had run in 2000AD at the time, at my then-local comic shop in London. My GF's birthday was coming up and she's a big fan of Kingdom of the Wicked, so I figured I'd get her a copy of that and get it signed. No luck, couldn't find it anywhere. I did, however, find copies of the three books in their War of the Worlds trilogy (the first book adapts the HG Wells story, the second and third are inspired sequels to it). And queued up to get them signed. Because the comic shop in question was and is awesome, it was a relaxed atmosphere with everyone getting to have a chat with both guys - and as soon as I mentioned that the books were a birthday present for someone else, they made an extra fuss of them with D'israeli coming up with a different doodle for each book and so on.

To my mind, a signing's only really worth it if the book means something to you and you get a chance to actually have at least a brief chat with the creators in question. If it's a reminder of a time you got to meet and talk to someone you admire and whose work you like, it's a nice extra thing to have. If it's just a name scribbled on a page, then I kind of figure what's the point?

• Advertisement

Fysh wrote: »
    I'm not a big fan of getting stuff signed most of the time, but I've warmed to the idea since moving to the UK if it's in an environment where you actually get to have a bit of a chat with the people involved.

My favourite signing experience was actually the first signing I went to after moving to the UK - Ian Edgington and D'Israeli were doing a signing for...something, probably a collection of something that had run in 2000AD at the time, at my then-local comic shop in London. My GF's birthday was coming up and she's a big fan of Kingdom of the Wicked, so I figured I'd get her a copy of that and get it signed. No luck, couldn't find it anywhere. I did, however, find copies of the three books in their War of the Worlds trilogy (the first book adapts the HG Wells story, the second and third are inspired sequels to it). And queued up to get them signed. Because the comic shop in question was and is awesome, it was a relaxed atmosphere with everyone getting to have a chat with both guys - and as soon as I mentioned that the books were a birthday present for someone else, they made an extra fuss of them with D'israeli coming up with a different doodle for each book and so on.

To my mind, a signing's only really worth it if the book means something to you and you get a chance to actually have at least a brief chat with the creators in question. If it's a reminder of a time you got to meet and talk to someone you admire and whose work you like, it's a nice extra thing to have. If it's just a name scribbled on a page, then I kind of figure what's the point?

Yep, this would be my thinking too. I've got some signed stuff and it's nice enough to have but I'd much rather have a chat with someone whose work I'm interested in.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vol. 2: Enemies Old, Enemies New - This was SO good. The first volume was good but this one was just great, particularly the feudal Japan stuff. I'm gonna keep collecting this one for sure.

Silk vol. 0: The Life and Times of Cindy Moon - This was also fantastic. I kinda picked it up on a whim. I was in Big Bang looking for something and couldn't remember what so I just had a look at the shelf and this kinda called out to me. So glad I got it; really enjoyable read.

The idw 80's books are cracking at the moment.
    The Transformers and Joe books are solid reads.

And Jem and MLP Are doing great numbers.

Just need them to get on the M.A.S.K Bandwagon.

Morning Glories vol. 2 & 3 - Both so good. Can't wait to get vol. 4 now...!

All New All Different Avengers #1 - This was so much fun, particularly the extra story with Nova and Ms. Marvel. Can't wait for more of this.

Doctor Strange #2 - SO good. I laughed all the way through it.

Paper Girls #2 - Really liking this so far, great first 2 issues.

Superman: American Alien #1 - This book was gorgeous. I'm really looking forward to the rest of this. Heartwarming first issue!

The Vision #1 - This was so weird and great. Right up there with the best of the ANAD Marvel stuff.

Limbo #1 - Great read, I'll check out the next issue for sure!

It's been a good few weeks...!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

Tarot: Witch of the Black rose.

Some monthly highlights

Unbeatable Squirrel Girl #2; it's awesome. I know it's pitched as a comic for younger female readers but it's so funny and the art is perfect for the book.

Ms Marvel 1; loved Bruno's story, G. Willow Wilson keeps on doing what she did so successfully for 19 issues before the mess of Secret Wars.

I'm also about half way through Planet Hulk, I know it is very well regarded but I've seen Spartacus, Ben Hur and Gladiator so as of yet the story hasn't been anything special. I hope that changes because the remarkable slave idea feels played out to me so far.

Some monthly highlights

I'm also about half way through Planet Hulk, I know it is very well regarded but I've seen Spartacus, Ben Hur and Gladiator so as of yet the story hasn't been anything special. I hope that changes because the remarkable slave idea feels played out to me so far.

I didn't find knowing those hurt the story for me.

Some nice Art and the Various Aliens flashbacks where a nice touch in the story telling.

Could have used More Banner in my opinion!

Old Man Logan - Talk about a missed opportunity, Old Man Logan is one of the poorest comics that I have ever had the misfortune of reading. The idea is a great one and the world in which it occurs interesting but everything else is sorely lacking. The story is nothing more than a series of set pieces strung together by the thinnest of plots, dialogue is what you expect from Millar, it's trite, cliche laden and juvenile and the whole thing feels like something thrown together by a group of drunk fan boys over a weekend. How the book is so widely liked is beyond me, it's an utterly incompetent piece of work.

I didn't find knowing those hurt the story for me.

Some nice Art and the Various Aliens flashbacks where a nice touch in the story telling.

Could have used More Banner in my opinion!

Finished Planet Hulk over the weekend, enjoyed on the whole but as I said much of the story felt like old well trodden ground.

I've moved on to Original Sin now, only 30 or so pages in but hooked already, It feels like a cross of good old fashioned Sci-Fi, a murder mystery with some super heros sprinkled on top.

By coincidence my book of the week tm Is also by Jason Aaron, The Mighty Thor 1, really thought it was a great book, stunning art work and the writing dealt with a difficult topic in the most deft manner, everything about it felt right. Possibly the first Marvel book of the relaunch to feel worth the price tag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

Black Panther 2: Enemy of the State* - Yeah my getting into Black Panther just ain't happening. Not with this anyway. Far more interested in
    Panther joining the Avengers to spy on them
    but it's the not the story this wants to tell.

All-New X-Men 5: One Down*
    All-New X-Men 6: The Ultimate Adventure*

The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl 1: Squirrel Power - Squirrel Girl improves anything she's in. Sometimes minimally like that Fantastic Four cartoon where even interior scenes were treated as if happening under the glare of a thousand suns but the point stands. Loved the
    giant squirrel Galactus
    and
    the issue that ends on Squirrel Girl heading off to fight Galactus and his being on his back at the start of the next
    . Plus dat Marvel vs Capcom cover. I was never not buying it, basically.

Star Wars I: Skywalker Strikes
    Star Wars: Darth Vader I: Vader
    - Liked Skywalker, Vader I thought clung way too much to the films. The Imperial version of R2-D2/C-3PO is one thing but ESB/RotJ cast all huddled together in the aftermath of A New Hope plus
    a trip to Geonosis which isn't dissimilar to that zombie/Aliens homage Clone Wars episode
    is a bit distracting from the story.

The Walking Dead Compendium 3

Naruto 66-72

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The IDW Collection 1 - Enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Any version of the origin story is better than the original for Splinter but those one-shot issues are character explorations which was a pleasant surprise. Series seems to bring in elements from elsewhere in the franchise quite nicely. Liking the art as well though I could do without the turtles' chests looking like yellow cardboard is stuck to their shell but it's a minor complaint. Also found I'm mentally giving Stockman the voice of Peep Show's Alan Johnson so it has that going for it too. wink.png

Is that TMNT/Ghostbusters crossover any good?

*Marvel Unlimited versíon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Just read TransFormers : Autocracy there last two days.

Utterly enjoyable, really enjoying this foray into Transformers. Perfect blend of nostalgia from my childhood and fusion of maturity I'm enjoying since getting into comics.

Will be picking up the other two tie ins, monstrosity and primacy, before delving into the actual series Trades I have on the shelf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

tumblr_nyy2gbtOVI1s5x79oo1_640.jpg

Finished Original Sin, really enjoyed it, probably the best cross over event I've read in a long time. I would have liked more of some things and less of others but all in all still great.

Also read Paper Girls #3 which was excellent, the pacing is perfect and the characters interesting.

Speaking of pacing Howard the Duck #2 got it all wrong this week, I mean severely wrong,
    there is no Howard in the book!
    Wtf! And tha Gwen-pool story? Zzzzzzzzzzzzz

e_e wrote: »
    tumblr_nyy2gbtOVI1s5x79oo1_640.jpg

Some Nice starts here. Fables is a nice build up to the to about book 9. Really enjoyed where it went on the build up.

Was Alias picked up before or after a Jessica Jones Viewing?
    If after how are you enjoying it compared to the series?
    TheDoc wrote: »

Will be picking up the other two tie ins, monstrosity and primacy, before delving into the actual series Trades I have on the shelf

Not a big Fan of the art style used in those tales.
    But some interesting additions to the series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Some Nice starts here. Fables is a nice build up to the to about book 9. Really enjoyed where it went on the build up.
    Thanks, tbh I've only read single-book stuff like Watchmen and Ghost World before but I just suddenly decided to start visiting comic shops around Dublin and ordering online too. Hence all of the first and second volumes I have now. ;)
    Was Alias picked up before or after a Jessica Jones Viewing?
    If after how are you enjoying it compared to the series?
    Was actually only halfway through the series when I picked it up. The comic has less of that big-budget movie/tv sheen which I appreciate for this kind of noir story. I'm liking it a lot.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Mod note: I've just deleted a couple of off-topic posts.

This thread is for discussing what comics you are currently reading. For banter (hilarious or otherwise), please make your way to After Hours.

Just finished Jason Aaron's Wolverine Goes To Hell arc. Great stuff with a very grim end. Really enjoyable.

Also this week....

All-New, All-Different Avengers #2 - Another great issue; this is solid so far.

Daredevil #1 - I'd had so much fun and gotten so used to Waid and Samnee on this that I almost didn't pick this up. Really glad I did though, it was really good.

Batman Europa #1 - Impulse buy-just miss seeing Bruce in the cowl. It was great. I'll defo pick up the next 3 issues and complete the arc.

Doctor Strange #3 - This one keeps on giving. So much fun!

• Moderators Posts: 51,713 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

The Twilight Children #2 Really enjoying this mini-series. Good story and loving the art.

Unfollow #1 Only first issue but looks like it could be quite interesting fun. Group of 140 people around the world receive a phone notification that they share in a lifechanging jackpot.

Dr. Strange #2 Great fun. Love the art too :)

Miracleman #3 Liked it. Found it took a bit more effort to read to others in the pile but was worth it.

Citizen Jack #1 Fun comic. X-Files smushed against West Wing kinda vibe to it.

Slash & Burn #1 A slow start to the series, but it does look like it would be worth sticking around for more.

Monstress #1 66 page first issue. Absolutely beautful art and good story. Really curious to see where it goes.

Black Knight #1 Good first issue but as I'm not following Battleworld (or whatever it is) or most Marvel comics, bits of it were lost on.

Vision #1 Good first issue that focuses on the Vision family more than expected, which actually works for me.

Clean room #1 Really interesting read. Doesn't give away a huge amount so hard not to want #2, which I plan to get.

Red Thorn #1 Liked the story+art.

Huck #1 a different twist on the young Clark/Smallville type of story. Fun :)

Also picked up Survivors Club #1, Welcome Back #3 and Tokyo Ghost #2.

@NW have Daredevil #1 copy ordered for next comic delivery :)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Not a big Fan of the art style used in those tales.
    But some interesting additions to the series.

I'm liking it. Granted it does seem a bit "dark" in a sense that some panels can be tough to make out, I've enjoyed the story and the developments and some of the panels feel really epic and you get a great sense of scale.

Picked up VADER Volume 1 yesterday. Seems most people who read it here were impressed, so when picking a present for myself from the misses, and not being able to find a Transformer book I wanted, said to hell and will give it a go.

Slacked of a bit with my reading lately. Will hopefully catch up over Xmas where I'll be in office, mostly on my tod, for two weeks :)

• Advertisement

Delirium wrote: »
    .Vision #1 Good first issue that focuses on the Vision family more than expected, which actually works for me.

Second issue is also great!

Advertisement