Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ultimates Vol 3 was such a travesty and did so much damage that it nearly sank the Ultimate Universe. Apparently Millar will now only give interviews on the basis that Vol 3 is off the table.

I think the thing is that Millar's earlier Ultimates books coupled with Ultimate Spider-Man's consistent popularity meant the whole Ultimate Universe reached a point of popularity where editorial decided that they should start treating it like a sub-imprint. To my mind it was stronger when it was allowed to not be crowded, and had a couple of ongoing series and a miniseries whenever a creative team had a story to tell, and its demise was the insistence on constantly milking it with relaunches and constant events, neither of which actually had the desired effect.

But then, I've never been much of a "shared universe" guy, so perhaps it's not surprising that I feel this way...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The very same.

That's a really good run. As a big X-men fan a lot of the magic comes from the standalone issues, or little moments within stories rather than the stories as a whole.

Batman Vol.1 and Vol.2 Court of Owls/Night of Owls: Snyder writes a really good Batman. Also a big fan of Talon so it's good to see a whole year worth of story/issues dedicated to establishing a new villain. Although I think he
    got his own series in the New 52 so hopefully he doesn't go down the Venom/Deadpool route of overexposure.

American Vampire Vol.2: Snyder writes a really good vampire story. Similar complaints as the first volume but it really builds on the mythos of the world, also two out of two for the twists being actual surprises. Not a big fan of the artwork in the second storyline but Albuquerque's art is really well suited to the book.

Ex Machina Vol.1: Can't believe this is as old as it is. Collects almost the entire first year of the book. Tells the story of a guy who acquires the ability to talk to machines, and after a brief career as a superhero turns to politics to make a difference. There's a lot more focus of political/personal issues than superhero ones but it's still gripping stuff, and ties nicely into September 11th. Would probably prefer this to Vaughan's Y the Last Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Turtyturd wrote: »
    That's a really good run. As a big X-men fan a lot of the magic comes from the standalone issues, or little moments within stories rather than the stories as a whole.

Yeah, lot's of great moments alright! I'm liking Colossus a lot in it. Also, a huge amount of it seems to have influenced the movies.
    Turtyturd wrote: »
    Batman Vol.1 and Vol.2 Court of Owls/Night of Owls: Snyder writes a really good Batman. Also a big fan of Talon so it's good to see a whole year worth of story/issues dedicated to establishing a new villain. Although I think he
    got his own series in the New 52 so hopefully he doesn't go down the Venom/Deadpool route of overexposure.

Afaik, Talon was a limited run. Agreed though, great villain!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Ultimates Vol 3 was such a travesty and did so much damage that it nearly sank the Ultimate Universe. Apparently Millar will now only give interviews on the basis that Vol 3 is off the table.

surely the easy answer is.

It wasn't my doing. I just tried to clean up the pieces.

Really not digging the Ult Avengers stuff.
    It's like they tried to Ultimatise the Ultimates.

But Enjoyed the look of Warmachines suit.
    And the Red skulls master plan was a nice Millar Touch!

TheDoc wrote: »
    Yeah that is the sort of guidelines I've been getting from a reddit thread about read orders and stuff for Transformers.

Plan is :
    Last Stand of the Wreckers
    All Hail Megatron
    Chaos Theory
    IDW Collection Phase 2 (which contains seemingly the best set of IDW Transformers.

All Hail Megatron is the low point in the IDW stuff for myself and several of my Robot Changey fans mates.

It pretty much ignores the events of previous series. We had series building up of how the Decepticons go about conquering a planet. It had a grounded in reality feel to it.
    Which is chucked out and becomes an episode of the 80's cartoon with Characters popping up Based on Plot needs rather than a natural flow. First 3 issues have a solid build up offer Destruction and Devastation. Then not a lot really happens.
    Except for Out of character depictions and Splosions. From what we had. Some of the G1 Fans love it as it's very much a love note to the 86 TV show. Which is great if you like that sort of thing. But it just didn't do it for me.

Choas Theory tries to fix it.By mostly laying waste to the status Quo. But suffers a little for the fact. The restart with RID & MTMTES improves things greatly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

MarkHall wrote: »
    All Hail Megatron is the low point in the IDW stuff for myself and several of my Robot Changey fans mates.

It pretty much ignores the events of previous series. We had series building up of how the Decepticons go about conquering a planet. It had a grounded in reality feel to it.
    Which is chucked out and becomes an episode of the 80's cartoon with Characters popping up Based on Plot needs rather than a natural flow. First 3 issues have a solid build up offer Destruction and Devastation. Then not a lot really happens.
    Except for Out of character depictions and Splosions. From what we had. Some of the G1 Fans love it as it's very much a love note to the 86 TV show. Which is great if you like that sort of thing. But it just didn't do it for me.

Choas Theory tries to fix it.By mostly laying waste to the status Quo. But suffers a little for the fact. The restart with RID & MTMTES improves things greatly.

So you think its worth giving all hail megatron a skip?

RID and MTMTES is where I plan to go longterm. Was looking there last week, the individual trades are €20 a pop, while the Phase 2 collection (which according to a nice dude on reddit made a reading order, and says Phase 2 comprises RID and MTMTES) is €50.

So financially seems a no brainer to pickup the collection. Although have this "thing" with hardbacks, struggle to find them an a comfortable read. Got hands on IDW Phase 2 for the first time and holy **** it's heavy :O

http://www.idwpublishing.com/product/transformers-idw-collection-phase-two-vol-1/

So you think its worth giving all hail megatron a skip?

Like I said it was a low point for me. The IDW stuff had been doing some nice world building. With Some great characterisation that was cast aside. So that may color my take on AHM. It did give us some great covers thou.
    It may work for your as you don't have that hanging over you. There are some good scenes and wonderful art. But over all rating is BOO!

And I suppose without it we wouldn't have the current books. Which have been awesome. I heart the current take on Starscream so very very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Just finished Marvel Zombies 1 complete collection. Started off well. I think it ran out of steam then and was glad when it finished. If it was half the size it is it would have been a better read. Next up is Planet Hulk

I enjoyed the First Marvel Zombies tale and the Marvel zombies vs Evil dead was entertaining.
    But feel the series has been run to death and reanimated and head shot again.

But it gave us some great visuals.
    Magnetos passing, Cap vs red skull, The belly slicing for meat.

Plant Hulk was a good Romp. Shame they didn't push it for anther year before Hulks return to earth.
    Would have loved for him to come back to a post Civil war Marvel with all the trains supers.

I enjoyed the aliens take on their run ins with the earth heros.

After picking it up yesterday read through Batman Volume 6 : Graveyard shift there on lunch.

Bit disappointed. I noticed when I bought it yesterday it was thicker then the rest, so thought it would have a fair bit of continuation. Turned out that while it had a new story regarding the series I've been reading (felt small and quick) the volume packed in stories from Batman Eternal and Incorporated or something. Was weird as it jumped around, introducing mad new stuff that had not happened in the series I was reading, but had happened in these, and was just isolated stories. Wasn't overly impressed.

Most probably because I know Volume 7 Endgame isnt out in paperback until next year, so I'll be a good few months waiting.

I also picked up Justice League Volume 1 : Origin yesterday so that is tomorrows reading, before tucking into Wolverine Enemy of the state and Last stand of the wreckers.

• Advertisement

I enjoyed Enemy of The state. But again it falls into a category of Characters
    Acting as Mark Millar see them rather than how they should behave.

But it's a lot of fun as a Wolverine story.
    With Ninja, Assassins, Giant Robot stompy boots and several Millarisms thrown in for good measure.

Does the book contain all issues of Millar and JRJr's run? Or do you have to get Wolverine: Agent of shield as well?

I enjoyed Enemy of The state. But again it falls into a category of Characters
    Acting as Mark Millar see them rather than how they should behave.

But it's a lot of fun as a Wolverine story.
    With Ninja, Assassins, Giant Robot stompy boots and several Millarisms thrown in for good measure.

Does the book contain all issues of Millar and JRJr's run? Or do you have to get Wolverine: Agent of shield as well?

No idea here. I bought it on a bit of whim as something I saw another poster here mention, and it was just staring at me on the shelf in Big Bang while I was looking at the walking dead.

They didn't have most of the stuff I went in wanting, so didn't want to come out with less then four books :D

After picking it up yesterday read through Batman Volume 6 : Graveyard shift there on lunch.

Bit disappointed. I noticed when I bought it yesterday it was thicker then the rest, so thought it would have a fair bit of continuation. Turned out that while it had a new story regarding the series I've been reading (felt small and quick) the volume packed in stories from Batman Eternal and Incorporated or something. Was weird as it jumped around, introducing mad new stuff that had not happened in the series I was reading, but had happened in these, and was just isolated stories. Wasn't overly impressed.

Most probably because I know Volume 7 Endgame isnt out in paperback until next year, so I'll be a good few months waiting.

Yeah, this was always gonna be the case, unfortunately. The main Batman run goes from Zero Year straight into Endgame. To fill up another tpb, they just used stories from other runs intercut with some of Snyder's filler issues (and possibly an annual?) and probably some of Tynon's stories, which is why I didn't bother with this.

Oh meant to say I also read Transformers - Last Stand of the Wreckers pretty brilliant, absolutely loved it. Definitely will be getting into the recommended series

Oh meant to say I also read Transformers - Last Stand of the Wreckers pretty brilliant, absolutely loved it. Definitely will be getting into the recommended series

The sequel Sins of the Wreckers Is out next Month. BIG BANG are doing a signing on Launch day.
    Glad you enjoyed it. It's the book that got Roberts the writing gig on More than meets the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Got Saga Volume 5 today so making a start on that

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Picked up Spiderman 2099 Vol 1 today, enjoying it so far. Not sure what to make of
    the whole Liz Allen flirting with Miguel thing though. Seems to just come out of the blue without any set up. Is it that she's digging the fact he's Spiderman, or just has the hots for him?

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Got Saga Volume 5 today so making a start on that

Never got past book 1 of that. Did enjoy it. But not enough to seek out more.
    Would you say the story has gotten better?

Read a lot of the Spider Island Saga
    It really had it's ups and downs as a lot of Marvel big events do.

Enjoyed the Venom parts. Think I'll have to give agent Venom a proper look at.
    Dig the take on the Character. Like the interactions between him and pete.
    As Well as Flashes moments with Captain America.
    The Shang Chi story arc was nice. Last thing i read with him was from Captain Britian and MI5. Will be looking into more with him in it.
    And Anti Venom seemed pointless except as a Macguffin.

The main spider man parts were a muddle. But nice to see the
    Like that he was working with Shang chi to overcome his power failings.

Spidergirl seemed piontless. But the Hobgoblin was a fun character.Had he a book before Axis?
    And a great visual of spider kingpin.

Up next The Axis stuff. Let's see the Red Skull Jump the shark on a shark made of jumping sharks.

I loved the first book and defo think it improved after that too!

The Shang Chi story arc was nice. Last thing i read with him was from Captain Britian and MI5. Will be looking into more with him in it.

There was a good Secret Wars spinoff about Shang-Chi; check that out! "Master of Kung Fu."

Batman: Gates of Gotham - good story from a while back, starring the extended Bat-family. A nice story about the origins of Gotham, in a way. I don't generally like stories that don't star Bruce Wayne as Batman (current arc of the main series excepted as it feels fresh atm) but this was a fun read.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles vol. 1: Change Is Constant - A good origin story re-telling. Short and sweet. I'll defo check out vol. 2 at least.

Captain America: White #2 - Another great issue, beautifully painted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

Working my way through the local library's collection and have been working through the first few volumes of new 52 Wonder Woman. It's actually quite good, it's a good way of reinventing the character and placing her in the modern world in a way that makes sense of her origin. I've borrowed all 5 volumes and I'll probably read them all.

Secret Wars continues to be the most wordy series I've ever read, Lord know when it will finish, just heard that it has been extended to a 9th issue. Whilst the timing and delays are an absolute fiasco considering the universe relaunch Contains plenty of minor spoilers I am enjoying it and the pencilling is stunning. It will be an excellent TPB.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,816 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah, I enjoy them. It and Chew are probably my favorite series and prefer to buy the volumes instead of the individual issues.

I don't know if anyone else is keeping up with Ms Marvel but... Look I'm grand I just have something in my eye alright... The last few issues have been astoundingly good.

Also I finished all 5 volumes of new 52 WW, it was excellent. Would recommend.

Monthly purchase coming up next week. Was easy enough to decide on what I was going with this month. Last Stand of the Wreckers has me sold on Transformers

IDW Transformers Robots in Diguise Volume 1
    IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye :Volume 1
    DeadPool Volume 3 : The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
    The Walking Dead Volume 5: The Best Defense

If Big Bang have Justice League Volume 2: The Villians Journey, probably throw that in as well.

Nick's Roche is doing a signing at the Big bang next month for the Sequel to Last Stand of the Wreckers.
    Well worth popping out with LSOW to get it signed.
    Hopefully you continue to enjoy the Transformer books

Monthly purchase coming up next week. Was easy enough to decide on what I was going with this month. Last Stand of the Wreckers has me sold on Transformers

IDW Transformers Robots in Diguise Volume 1
    IDW Transformers More than Meets the Eye :Volume 1
    DeadPool Volume 3 : The Good, The Bad and The Ugly
    The Walking Dead Volume 5: The Best Defense

If Big Bang have Justice League Volume 2: The Villians Journey, probably throw that in as well.

Well got everything I went in wanting, plus Justice League Volume 2, and left with about four other things I really wanted.

Looking forward to ploughing into them.

The benefit for family in all of this is they have easy things to get me for christmas now, where I'm usually tough to buy for :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Well got everything I went in wanting, plus Justice League Volume 2, and left with about four other things I really wanted.

Looking forward to ploughing into them.

The benefit for family in all of this is they have easy things to get me for christmas now, where I'm usually tough to buy for :D

Some shops actually keep Customer's wishlists. When family members go into the shop and mention a regular customer's name, they then have a menu to select from. Win, win for all involved as far as I can see.

Just milled through the first three volumes of Saga in three days. It really is excellent. The Art style is odd though, it is unlike anything you would typically read in comics and I liked that but some panels and pages feel almost like a picture from a catalogue or ad campaign.

SO whilst the Art left me a little cold from time to time I did really like it and the writing is so excellent that I simply couldn't put it down.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,394 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Chew Vol. 1 Taster's Choice: Heard nothing but good things about this, but thought it was fairly meh. Concept is fairly out there, and it would probably work better as an animated tv series. Also spent the whole time wondering when
    Savoy would turn on his partner.

Deadpool Vol 1 Issue 11: Was listening to a podcast where they talked about this so decided to dig it out and give it a read. Deadpool travels back in time to Spider-Man's early days and spends the issue taking the piss outta Harry Osbourne's hair. I know they had similar stories in his recent series but they weren't a patch on this, and it's nice to read a Deadpool story where it didn't seem so forced.

• Advertisement

American Vampire vol. 6 - Great stuff, as per, with lots of guest writers writing short stories for this volume. Good read.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer Season 10, Vol. 3 - Still loving this series, though Season 8 was probably the best so far.

Morning Glories Vol. 1 - Great stuff from Nick Spencer. Bought volume 2 already so looking forward to digging into that soon too.

Descender - Great book from Jeff Lemire; I was a little skeptical at first but I liked it. Looking forward to vol. 2.

Batman #45 - Another great issue, though I have to say, Gordon as Batman doesn't grab me all too much. It's a nice side-story but I've never been able to get into any stories where Bruce Wayne isn't the lead.

Doctor Strange #1 - This was also great; looking forward to more.

Sam Wilson Captain America #1 - Good stuff; the controversy around it is gas. Looking forward to the next issue!

Astonishing Ant-Man #1 - This was fantastic. Keeps up the quality from the pre-Secret Wars run.

Invincible Iron Man #1 - This was okay... I might read another couple of issues and see how it pans out.

Karnak #1 - This was great. Looking forward to more of this series!

Advertisement