Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Currently re-reading Matt Fraction's Hawkeye. With all the delays, I never actually finished the run (stopped somewhere around #17) but now that it's finished, I've gotten around to going back to the start. Just finished #11 (right where the Little Hits tpb finishes). It's even better than I remember. There's so much fun to this book. I mean, look at this panel:

CEb2fWvW8AA8eC6.jpg

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing how it all ends and then starting in on Jeff Lemire's subsequent run.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Currently re-reading Matt Fraction's Hawkeye. With all the delays, I never actually finished the run (stopped somewhere around #17) but now that it's finished, I've gotten around to going back to the start. Just finished #11 (right where the Little Hits tpb finishes). It's even better than I remember. There's so much fun to this book. I mean, look at this panel:

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing how it all ends and then starting in on Jeff Lemire's subsequent run.

Oh, I really want to read those. I got my brother My Life as a Weapon and Little Hits last Christmas, I'm going to have to steal them off him. Hawkeye is easily one of favourite characters (if not my favourite)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,135 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

So after having The Walking Dead on the shelf a few weeks, read Volume 1 "Days gone bye" there cover to cover in about 40 minutes. Going to need to get a few of these in advance if they are that quick to read.

I'm up to date on the show, but already some minor differences. Really nice read and nice artwork.

I bought the first 3 volumes from adverts for a bargain, so trying to hunt this series down on the relative cheap, considering how many volumes there are, and the age.

(If anyone has a collection of volumes for TWD they wanted to shift, drop me a line btw )

^^Youll get a few cheap enough 2nd hand in Chapters on Parnell St, if that's handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

^^Youll get a few cheap enough 2nd hand in Chapters on Parnell St, if that's handy?

Would they have much in the way of Marvel or DC? Thinking of heading up to Big Bang for Batman day and would hope to spend a few hours in the city centre

• Advertisement

Town bit out of the way nowadays, but might take a spin in one of the days to have a look

Antibac wrote: »
    Would they have much in the way of Marvel or DC? Thinking of heading up to Big Bang for Batman day and would hope to spend a few hours in the city centre

They kinda just have what they have, secondhand-wise. There's usually a good bit of Marvel but not much in the way of DC. But, as I say, it's second hand stock so always changing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭JayRoc

TheDoc wrote: »
    So after having The Walking Dead on the shelf a few weeks, read Volume 1 "Days gone bye" there cover to cover in about 40 minutes. Going to need to get a few of these in advance if they are that quick to read.

I'm up to date on the show, but already some minor differences. Really nice read and nice artwork.

I bought the first 3 volumes from adverts for a bargain, so trying to hunt this series down on the relative cheap, considering how many volumes there are, and the age.

(If anyone has a collection of volumes for TWD they wanted to shift, drop me a line btw )

I actually got the first 3 or 4 from local libraries...

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭Uno my Uno.

I'm starting to develop Secret Wars fatigue, my own fault for taking on too many of the spin offs. Still eagerly looking forward to the conclusion of the main series but one or two of the spin offs feel very incidental with weak stories. A-force being the main offender.

Batman Court of Owls just turned up from Amazon yesterday, Only got a little way into it but am looking forward to diving in later tonight, I'm loving it already.

I'm starting to develop Secret Wars fatigue, my own fault for taking on too many of the spin offs. Still eagerly looking forward to the conclusion of the main series but one or two of the spin offs feel very incidental with weak stories. A-force being the main offender.

Batman Court of Owls just turned up from Amazon yesterday, Only got a little way into it but am looking forward to diving in later tonight, I'm loving it already.

I've been really enjoying that Batman series.

Volume 4 & 5 came through the door for me today. That Batman series has been the ticket to getting me properly into reading and comics. Been drifting in and out of them for years, but Batman has really got me into the groove for reading, and even exploring other stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I've found Chapters' second hand prices to be dearer than buying new from amazon most of the time.

Im really glad I didn't do that... I basically only got Thors apart from the main series. Thors is probably better than the main series imo. I'm much more interested in the books that will come out of SW than the current spinoffs.

Volume 4 & 5 came through the door for me today. That Batman series has been the ticket to getting me properly into reading and comics. Been drifting in and out of them for years, but Batman has really got me into the groove for reading, and even exploring other stuff.

Vol7 is out in 2 weeks FYI!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,837 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Working my way through Alias. Then must go and order Volumes 9 and 10 of Chew and in a couple weeks, volume 5 of Saga

Just starting Secret Wars- think I've about 5 issues to read to catch up.

I've not got any of the side stories- was thinking of waiting for them in graphic novel form.

Has anyone read prelude to secret wars graphic yet?

I've not got any of the side stories- was thinking of waiting for them in graphic novel form.

I looked at the comics that are included in it and it seems to be a very very loose prelude. You're best off reading Hickman's Avengers and New Avengers for the actual prelude.

Im really glad I didn't do that... I basically only got Thors apart from the main series. Thors is probably better than the main series imo. I'm much more interested in the books that will come out of SW than the current spinoffs.

I buy a lot of #1s so the summer was a disaster for me financially! The delays for the main series haven't helped so it feels like it has all dragged on too long. My pull list will be heavily pruned come the relaunch, some of the more interesting ideas have been fumbled (eg runaways) and I've lost a little faith as a result.

I buy a lot of #1s so the summer was a disaster for me financially! The delays for the main series haven't helped so it feels like it has all dragged on too long. My pull list will be heavily pruned come the relaunch, some of the more interesting ideas have been fumbled (eg runaways) and I've lost a little faith as a result.

Yeah I did same and then wasn't arsed with most of them... I will also be pruning my pull list soon, I reckon. But I'll be adding a few things too so win win!

The whole thing is so preposterous there isn't much the prelude can do to make it make more sense. Just take the starting point for what it is and jump in, you'll be well rewarded.

I would suggest you read the digital only issue #0 though, it's free and clears up one or two things that confused me at first.

I was the very same but it was captain marvel and spider Gwen for me, looking forward to expanding my TPB collection over the next while!

Yeah Vol 6 & 7 will be in next months purchases.

Man this collection grew fast. Really only started buying physical last month. kinda cool watching the shelf get bigger. And plenty more shelves to fill!

Todays additions from the mail were
    • Civil War
    • Deadpool Dead President Volume 1
    • Batman Zero Year Secret City Volume 4
    • Batman Zero Year Dark City Volume 5

Lc7MiQeic1bAZEL5rOvYwV2LE_SXOGAEwk2JbGHKRxw=w723-h963-no

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I need to read Zero Year - Dark City and get back into Batman

Following arrived today and shall be making a start:
    Hawkeye, Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon
    Outcast, Vol. 1: A Darkness Surrounds Him

The whole thing is so preposterous there isn't much the prelude can do to make it make more sense. Just take the starting point for what it is and jump in, you'll be well rewarded.

I would suggest you read the digital only issue #0 though, it's free and clears up one or two things that confused me at first.

Where can I pick up issue #0 please?

Where can I pick up issue #0 please?

I think I downloaded it on Comixology I think, it was never released physically as far as I'm aware, a quick google would probably find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Sex Criminals )Vol.1): A big fan of Fraction but this just don't see where all the praise for this is coming from. There was nothing overly bad about it but there was nothing overly great about it either. Will probably give Volume 2 a go to see if it grabs me though.

Teen Titans Earth 1 (Vol. 1): I am guessing this is DC's attempt at an Ultimate Universe. A decent enough origin story with some nice changes to the characters to make it different from the main DCU, and also no
    Robin
    in sight. Probably tries to cram too much in but from what I understand these are released as Graphic Novels rather than collected single issues, so there was no room to push some stuff back to future issues. Dodson's art is a little too cartoony for me personally, but it actually fits well with the tone of the story.

Criminal (Vol. 1 - 4): Had been intending to get this at various times over the last few years, but it kept slipping my mind. Had my son in the library last week and noticed them in the comics section so took out Volume 1 and 2, flew through them and went back and got Volume 3 and 4. Can't praise it enough. It is clearly influenced by Sin City, and the influences of Sin City but is much more toned down and 'realistic'. Love the overlap of characters between the storylines, and recurring locations. Can't wait to get my hands on Volumes 5 and 6, and will definitely be picking up my own copies for my collection.

Marvel Now: A long way behind on this (about week 40) but might just drop it with the upcoming reboot.

Batman - Zero Year - Dark city Volume 5
    Very much enjoying this Batman reading, which has ignited my interest in comics as a whole. Another enjoyable volume. The last two have kinda reset the timeline to go back, but I like what it's done and it's been a very interesting arc.

Deadpool - Dead Presidents Volume 1 is with me today, and that is lunchtime reading. Looking forward to getting into this and seeing how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

Empire

Fantastic Four 3: Back in Blue
    Fant4stic Four 4: The End is Fourever
    - Bit disappointing that the villain's motive is
    revenge against Reed Richards pairing up with Sue Storm
    . Thought his
    scribble face in flashback
    was a nice touch though. Good that the Incredibles costumes are gone because they just didn't work for me. I think the FF should be rotating costumes regularly anyway since they're a brand (and in-universe the superhero brand), especially Johnny Storm. He should have a @JohnnyMyCatDied Twitter account. Liked the back-up story of the Torch reconnecting with Dorrie Evans after a chance meeting.

Silver Surfer 2: Worlds Apart - Best version of the Surfer since his original angsty why-are-humans-so-awful Lee/Kirby series eye em oh.

----

Been hopping around Marvel Unlimited again in an attempt to keep costs down and fill in gaps for TPBs that are hard to come by at a reasonable price. But I'm using the volume names here anyway so it can help remind me where I'm up to and track issues. You don't care. pacman.gif

Fantastic Four: Books of Doom - Dunno why the movies have such trouble adapting to film a Roma scientist looking to rescue his mother from Hell that becomes dictator of a Eastern European fictional country that has his face blown off as a student and blames a rubber man for it. It's pretty straight forward!

New X-Men: Childhood's End 2

All-New X-Men 4: All-Different
    Guardians of the Galaxy/All-New X-Men: The Trial of Jean Grey

She-Hulk 5: Planet Without A Hulk

Ms. Marvel 4: Monster Smash
    Ms. Marvel 5: Secret Invasion
    - If the main Secret Invasion is just a big fight with Super Skrulls then the set-up for it is far more interesting. This though. Blech.

Black Panther 1: The Client

Ridley wrote: »
    Silver Surfer 2: Worlds Apart - Best version of the Surfer since his original angsty why-are-humans-so-awful Lee/Kirby series eye em oh.

Agreed! Slott's knocking it out of the park with the Surfer!

Ridley wrote: »
    Guardians of the Galaxy/All-New X-Men: The Trial of Jean Grey

I thought this was awful. Couldn't be less interested in the god damn Phoenix Force.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭Ridley

I thought this was awful. Couldn't be less interested in the god damn Phoenix Force.

Nothing good about the X-Men has come from space. wink.png

Just caught up with Secret Wars/Spider Island/Civil War so while I am waiting for new issues.Ive a few trades to tackle starting with Ghostbusters/TMNT then Batman 66 volume 1

• Advertisement

Just finished Civil War, I'm reading this stuff too fast!

Brilliant read, cover to cover, thoroughly enjoyed it. Look forward to getting into some more marvel stuff :)

That is all my last months purchases read now. Time to put together the next purchase

Advertisement