Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

maximoose wrote: »
    I'm enjoying it alright. Hilltop was seeming just to be Alexandria mk II but the Negan thing is livening it up a little
    Abraham and Glenn just died, god sh*t-f*ck damn it I loved Abraham!

Also, one of the things I've loved most about TWD is the covers, but they've been incredibly boring in this "Something to Fear" chapter... sort it out!

Yeah the second one was quite the shocker and didn't do Robert Kirkman any favors with the fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Yeah the second one was quite the shocker and didn't do Robert Kirkman any favors with the fans.

That's the thing about TWD, any character can die at any time, fan favourite or not. I was sad to see them go, particularly the first character mentioned as Rick's
    crew needs muscle
    but it's Kirkman's book and I pay to read this story, whatever direction he takes it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

This is what I'd love to be reading right now but tragically, all sold out. Never to be repeated. Damn it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2013/may/29/superhero-zenith-print-grant-morrison

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

old hippy wrote: »
    This is what I'd love to be reading right now but tragically, all sold out. Never to be repeated. Damn it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2013/may/29/superhero-zenith-print-grant-morrison

Heh, never to be repeated until they're satisfied no lawsuits will be forthcoming, at which point you can bet your boots that they'll do a paperback run. Give it a couple of years so that the Deluxe Hardback buyers don't feel ripped off at paying £100 for their copy, then we'll see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I started reading The Walking Dead last Friday. I got the two compendiums from Amazon, so thats issues 1-96. Only two chapters left to read in the second book, so will probably finish that off tonight.

What can I say, its excellent, like I knew it was going to be. I was concerned at first, as I'v seen two seasons of the tv show, that the first book would be wasted on me. Delighted then that the comics follow a pretty different version of the story.
    I got a pretty big shock last night, when I turned the page and Carl was after having his eye shot out. I even audibly gasped. That dosent happed often!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Just finished #112 and up to date with TWD.

I've been really enjoying the Negan story and cant wait to see what happens.
    BUT I really hope "King" Ezekiel and this kingdom ****e are abolished soon as it is just bloody daft, made me cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Kerry066

Maus! It's brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Read the first chapter of the first volume of the Chew TPB

Read through The Dark Knight returns, Batman year one, the killing joke, and chapters 17+18 of the Walking Dead over the weekend. Started reading through the Watchmen then last night. All the Batmen were enjoyable, if unspectacular. The walking dead was of its usual high quality, although I was very dissappointed to see
    Glen get his head smashed in, and losing Abraham in the same chapter was also very sad as I was big fans of both characters

But the Watchmen, I am freakin lovin it! Only three chapters in but its fantastic. Even though I'v seen the movie so I know how the story goes. Loving the artwork, this is my kinda comic. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Just read the first Blacksad hardcover, gotta say, it's pretty special. Just the most fantastic looking book, followed up by just being such enjoyable noirish crime mysteries, just love it.

• Advertisement

Finished reading Watchmen during the week. Hands down the best comic I ever read. That is all.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

mayordenis wrote: »
    Just read the first Blacksad hardcover, gotta say, it's pretty special. Just the most fantastic looking book, followed up by just being such enjoyable noirish crime mysteries, just love it.

It's beautiful stuff, isn't it? <3 me some Blacksad.

I've been reading a few things lately, including:

Hawkeye Volume 1: My Life As A Weapon - awesome stuff; grounded stories about Hawkeye's life when he's not being an avenger. Given that I'm not all that much into superhero stories these days, this sort of street-level stuff is just the ticket for me.

The End Of The F*cking World - A bleak, sparse story about a teenage psychopath and his girlfriend going on a road trip. The story is desolate and the art almost minimalist in its sparseness (think Jeff Lemire in his Essex County mode, then imagine he'd been drawing for an original print run as A6 minicomics). Not unlike a lo-fi My Friend Dahmer, in a way.

Fatale 3: West Of Hell - I was kind of expecting this to round off the whole story, so was kind of wrong-footed by the almost standalone nature of this volume. I didn't realise when picking it up that Fatale has been switched to an ongoing series, and to be honest I'm not sure it necessarily makes sense for the story being told. It also didn't help that this volume collects a mere 4 issues. It's still good, but I was hoping for a denser, meatier continuation of the story from the previous volume.

Sweet Tooth Volume 6 - And so the whole series comes to a close. I need to re-read the whole thing to see how it hangs together, but this was a pretty satisfactory conclusion, all things considered. I very much appreciated Lemire's narrative approach to flirt with a few possible options but make it clear in a very unambiguous way what had actually caused the end of the world - compared to the frustration I felt when reading Y: The Last Man, for example, it was a welcome relief.

Wu Wei - an anthology of spiritual comics, I really liked this. I've enjoyed Mike Medaglia's previous work, and his editorial oversight on this anthology is grea. There are some excellent contributions and a great variety of artistic styles. I'm a big fan of anthologies, and this is a welcome addition to my collection of the good ones.

Currently reading the first volume of Brian K Vaughn's Saga

I read through Maus yesterday, not ashamed to say I cried a bit near the end. :(

Can anybody help me find a copy in Polish? I have a friend who would like to read it. My first stop is usually Amazon, but they dont have any in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 nate19841

I've read the first two issues of Ghosted on image comics and think it has a lot of potential. Other than that I'm ploughing through the Boys by Garth Ennis and finishing off Y: THE LAST MAN

You're not alone there, a tremendously powerful comic told so simply.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

Up to Volume 8 of "The Boys". Great stuff. Just finished volume 2 of "Chew". Brilliant. Re-reading "Fables". I'm on volume 8. Pretty good.

I have Fables on my to-read list.

I want to give Invincible a shot. I hear good things

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

I read through Maus yesterday, not ashamed to say I cried a bit near the end. :(

Can anybody help me find a copy in Polish? I have a friend who would like to read it. My first stop is usually Amazon, but they dont have any in stock.

Can't help you with the Polish copy but just want to echo the sentiment that this is one the best books I've ever read.
    nate19841 wrote: »
    I've read the first two issues of Ghosted on image comics and think it has a lot of potential. Other than that I'm ploughing through the Boys by Garth Ennis and finishing off Y: THE LAST MAN

Y: The Last Man is one of those rare comics that not only lives up to it's critical acclaim but far surpasses it. Re-read it earlier this year and it's just a good the second and third times.
    nate19841 wrote: »
    I have Fables on my to-read list.

I want to give Invincible a shot. I hear good things

I really liked Invincible but fell away from it after a few months. I definitely intend to get back to it at some point but sadly there are four pallets of comics to get through before then so I may well be 90 when reading it.

Just picked up a near mint 2000ad Prog 77 this week which is a rarity so that's my reading for tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I read "The Dark Knight Returns", and there were so many things that sapped my enjoyment of it. The gangsters just looked stupid, and the same goes for:
    any Batman vs Superman fight. This one particularly sucked as it seemed so forced.

I've moved on to the "Knightfall" arc, and I believe that if Nolan had incorporated more aspects of it into his trilogy (e.g. introduce Azrael/Jean-Paul Valley in "The Dark Knight") it would have been even better.

• Advertisement

Can't help you with the Polish copy but just want to echo the sentiment that this is one the best books I've ever read.

You're grand, I found a second hand copy on E-bay. But it was in such good consition when I got it, it was like brand new. Was delighted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

You're grand, I found a second hand copy on E-bay. But it was in such good consition when I got it, it was like brand new. Was delighted :)

Fantastic! Enjoy it, I've never met anyone who hasn't liked it be they comic fans or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

Lazarus and re reading 30 Days of Night: Dark Days

Reading volume 1 of Hawkeye Volume 1: My Life As A Weapon and much as I'm enjoying it I really can't understand how it's been so critically acclaimed. Don't get me wrong it's a very well written book and I'm enjoying it immensely but the whole thing strikes me as being an independent comic for people who refuse to read anything but the most generic of DC and Marvel's output. Perhaps it's because I find most superhero stuff to be tiresome and generic and outside of Batman there are few of the major heroes whom I'd read regularly but there is nothing in My Life As A Weapon that hasn't been done in a number of other less mainstream titles. Hopefully those who read the book and found it so groundbreaking will be encouraged to take a trip outside their comfort zone and try something a little different. After all there's such a wealth of great comic books out side of Spiderman, The Avengers, etc that it would be a shame not to embrace it and try something new.

I think the popularity of Hawkguy is that it's Marvel essentially letting Fraction & the art team do Criminal/Sleeper-style stories that are more down-to-earth and character-centric than they usually do, and in particular that the style is very slick. It's not astonishing or revolutionary, but it's much more self-assured and accessible than most such series.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I read "The Dark Knight Returns", and there were so many things that sapped my enjoyment of it. The gangsters just looked stupid, and the same goes for:
    any Batman vs Superman fight. This one particularly sucked as it seemed so forced.

I've moved on to the "Knightfall" arc, and I believe that if Nolan had incorporated more aspects of it into his trilogy (e.g. introduce Azrael/Jean-Paul Valley in "The Dark Knight") it would have been even better.

I agree (though Knightfall could be a trilogy of films all by itself) that DKR is vastly overrated. It gave Batman a push in the right direction when the character needed it but it's something comics have moved on from, especially the pretty bad art. Whatever you do, stay well away from Dark Knight Strikes Again, Miller is in full on masochistic mode in that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

I'll join the ranks of the "Dark Knight Returns" critics. It was a groundbreaking piece of work, but I much prefer "The Killing Joke" and "Arkham Asylum" - fantastic works, with some amazing artwork (which you cannot say about Miller's work).

I think that a defence can be made for Miller's work in DKR and in Year One, but certainly not for the absolute drivel that was DKSA. I think it's also important to recognise that, getting on for 30 years since its original publication, the medium overall has moved on and it can be quite difficult to appreciate the context in which the issues would have originally been seen.

On a separate note, my most recent reading has been volumes 2 & 3 of Cinebook's translations of the Long John Silver series. The artwork is fantastic and the storytelling is great; swashbuckling adventure and intrigue with a nastier edge than the likes of Pirates Of The Caribbean. If I had to fault them, I would have a moan about the page count of each volume, but given the page size the art is given space to breathe, and Mathieu Laufray's artwork takes full advantage of this at certain points. Well worth a look, though the wait between issues (something like 3 years between volumes 3 and 4, and they're only ~48 pages a piece!) will frustrate you if you get hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'll join the ranks of the "Dark Knight Returns" critics. It was a groundbreaking piece of work, but I much prefer "The Killing Joke" and "Arkham Asylum" - fantastic works, with some amazing artwork (which you cannot say about Miller's work).

I loved both TKJ and "Arkham Asylum", I bought the latter for my brother's 16th birthday and read it in a couple of hours.

Maybe TDKR was groundbreaking (I'm a newbie in the world of comics, so I don't know if there were any previous comics which featured a hero coming out of retirement), but the art sapped my enjoyment of it, never mind
    ENDING:
    the Batman vs Superman fight.

The idea of a Knightfall-based movie trilogy sounds awesome, unfortunately we'll probably have to wait a while for the reboot (excluding Affleck as Batman).

• Advertisement

I was reading the Trinity War and now reading the fallout (Villains month, Forever Evil) and I just have one question about it:
    Did I miss something? Did we see the League die? I could go back but I'm sure the Trinity War ended with the Crime Syndicate coming through and that was it

Advertisement