Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I was reading the Trinity War and now reading the fallout (Villains month, Forever Evil) and I just have one question about it:
    Did I miss something? Did we see the League die? I could go back but I'm sure the Trinity War ended with the Crime Syndicate coming through and that was it
    I believe it hasnt been shown if they did die or not. Theories are saying that the Crime Syndicate left them on Earth 3, as in left for dead but not actually dead

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Thwip! wrote: »
    I believe it hasnt been shown if they did die or not. Theories are saying that the Crime Syndicate left them on Earth 3, as in left for dead but not actually dead

Theories indeed:
    http://www.newsarama.com/18892-where-are-the-justice-leagues-an-alternate-earth-theory.html

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Will Eisner - A Contract With God. Love Eisner's acting with the characters and how he implements the layout of each page.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Burky126 wrote: »
    Will Eisner - A Contract With God. Love Eisner's acting with the characters and how he implements the layout of each page.

It's great, isn't it? Did you read the trilogy collection which includes the other Droopsie Avenue stories? I loved the way that Eisner showed the progression of the community and environment with the passage of time, it's deftly handled and a great demonstration of his mastery of storytelling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

I thought Arkham Asylum was overrated, and didn't understand the appeal of it. I preferred the Dark Knight Returns to The Killing Joke, and think it deserves the acclaim it receives. Completely agree that the Dark Knight Strikes Again is shockingly bad though.

I like the art in The Dark Knight Returns a lot. It's may not be on par with the terrific art in The Killing Joke, and none of the drawings are even very good if taken individually. However the storytelling through pictures is excellent, and the capturing of the action is very good too. I also like the way he uses a lot of smaller panels in the pages.

The Killing Joke is not very long, and Bolland spent two years drawing it, and [infamously] didn't colour it in that time. Most artists don't spend longer than they need to, with the exception of people like Kevin O'Neill. A good example is Simon Bisley I think. His more recent work is nowhere near the standard of The Black Hole or The Horned God. He just spent longer drawing them. I've read interviews with him where he talks about time pressures on comic art - even going so far as saying he's not an artist. He also says he loves painting, with one of the reasons being that he can complete pages very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Burky126

Fysh wrote: »
    It's great, isn't it? Did you read the trilogy collection which includes the other Droopsie Avenue stories? I loved the way that Eisner showed the progression of the community and environment with the passage of time, it's deftly handled and a great demonstration of his mastery of storytelling.

Yeah got the trilogy in one collected volume.It's an amazing piece. I love reading work that now seems like such a distant memory and the nostalgia behind it even though it does have its crushing moments. Eisner captured that microcosm so vividly it's a shame more people haven't read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

Hawkeye 2: Little Hits - READ IT-READ IT-READ IT-READ IT ... READ IT-READ IT-READ IT! Glad the quality was maintained because that was an absolute pleasure.

Essential Fantastic Four 8 - Comics monster Roy Thomas turned a Johnny Storm into a hockey goalkeeper in spaaace called Gaard. With the skates and the mask and the stick and everything. Skipped The Invaders since I'd already read them. Has there ever been an explanation for why Captain America would be on a team with that name? I'da thunk Liberators or some such. Also the Frightful Four places an ad in a newspaper to hold open auditions to find a new fourth member at the Baxter Building. Uh-huh. The collection posits that in a multiverse with infinite possibilities that no version of Reed Richards could be evil by choice. Brute Richards having gone bad due to something falling on his head.

Fantastic Four 6: Foundation
    FF 4: You Are Whatever You Want To Be - They're largely one-shots but the volumes would have been better being read by alternating between issues I think. Basically tying up all the loose ends from the Hickman run although the
    Nazi FF one-shot
    was just depressing. Reminded myself that The Thing was Jewish when I thought his much
    older self's beard
    was Moses-esque right before hitting a universe where
    the Nazis took the US. It's not stated but it seems 60s going by the older Hitler
    so it's riffing on when the Marvel Age began.
    Ben Grimm plucked out of a concentration camp to be pilot, marked out as a Jew on his helmet and while he's part the team they're officially numbered three. Of course he doesn't count...
    Nicely done but blehhh. Oh and
    Richards lobotomised Von Doom's brain to grab what he was missing.
    I assume that Reed Richards stubbed his toe to make him go bad.

Glad the Annihilus stuff is over with, I don't like seeing the Torch calling an Unhari child a "weird-looking fish kid", and I'd rather not see him in that underwear/apron combo again. But yes to the implication that he has figured out the way to look at his ass in the mirror to gauge the size. Drunk space horse serenading actual horse was neat. wink.png

FF (vol. 2) 1: Fantastic Faux - Still think it's weird that Darla is wearing her boyfriend's sister and (supposed) best friend's hand-me-downs. Also: "Miss Thing".

Mark Waid Daredevil 1 - Oversized hardcover so it's the first two trade collections. I like it, nicely straddles the pre and post-Frank Miller Daredevil. Plus it has the Spot. Who doesn't like the Spot? tongue.png Nice try making the Mole Man sinister though. Don't think it'll block out his goofy image.

Ozma of Oz - Think Baum just threw a lot of stuff at his books to see what stuck. In it for Skottie Young's art for the most part anyway. Surprised it took until the sixth story for him and Shanower to want to step back from the series a bit.

Wonder Woman: Eyes of the Gorgon - 'Tis fine. Liking the more contemporary version of the Greek gods. Shenanigans on Warner Bros. not finding a hook to put Wonder Woman on screen. Wonder Woman takes on the Med(o)usa and
    blinds herself to do so.
    That was kewl.

Wonder Woman: The Circle - Was alright. The idea of WW's birth not being welcomed by all on Themyscira is good and makes the place more interesting in doing so. Back up story of WW facing off against a Green Lantern in Space Japan. Think I'm done with the Wonder Woman experiment though. Read three of the books that keeping popping up on best-of lists and there's not much there that makes me want to continue with it. Or jump through the hoops to find these things at reasonable prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Just finished Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere; saw the TV series, read the book and now the comic. I like them all.
    I am now diving into the 52 volume "Countdown to Final Crisis" and will follow it with Final Crisis.

Started with Infinite Crisis som time ago and worked my way through the tie-ins, 52, One Year Later.
    I am currently suffering from a DC Comics addiction. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Half past Danger from IDW by Stephen Mooney

934087_10151699841001289_1394295735_n.jpg
    HPD_Cover_5_Mooney_Sml.jpg
    HPD_Runge_Variant_Cover_Final_Sml.jpg
    Half_Past_Danger_Issue_3_Cover_Final_Sml.jpg
    And I hope you all are too.

http://www.halfpastdanger.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Ridley

Indiana Jones overtones with dinosaurs? Well, that's enough to put it on my radar...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

How about alt covers from a crop of irish superstars?
    And some great fisty-cuffs with the Dinos.

Mooney hits all the beats with this story.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Reading the Kingdom for the first time. Trying to pick out the familiar heroes is good, but having read the most recent JSA iteration which brought in a lot of Kingdom characters like Magog I'm already familiar with some of the non mainstream characters.

Got the first volume of Fables so have only read the first issue of that so far.

Been meaning to start this for a while so picked it up on my last trip to the comic shop.

Started doing that, getting first volumes of Saga and Chew on previous trips.

Got the first volume of Fables so have only read the first issue of that so far.

Been meaning to start this for a while so picked it up on my last trip to the comic shop.

Started doing that, getting first volumes of Saga and Chew on previous trips.
    I don't really know what you're talking about, but your post made me realise there is a new collected edition of Chew out since August, which I now want to pick up.

I don't really know what you're talking about, but your post made me realise there is a new collected edition of Chew out since August, which I now want to pick up.

I get that a lot. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Just finished Rotworld: The red kingdom. It wasn't bad, but still pretty underwhelming compared to what came before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Neil McCauleys Cooler Brother

Am I right in thinking that Chew Volume 7 is the latest volume of that series? And if so, when can we expect Volume 8?

Am I right in thinking that Chew Volume 7 is the latest volume of that series? And if so, when can we expect Volume 8?
    Yes it's the latest. I would guess #8 would be around April 2014. It will continue on a monthly basis in the meantime in the comics though. Usually can pick them up in comic shops in Dublin city centre.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Generally the collections are of the most recent 5 issues (with the exception of whichever one also had the Secret Agent Poyo special), and they come out a few weeks after the single issues have been published. Given that Chew #40 is out in early January, I'd expect Volume 8 to be out by late January or early February.

For exact info you can check out the Image Comics page for the Chew series. That will get updated regularly with new scheduled releases, with details of any publication released 3 months in advance.

Thanks for the info, guys. I only get the collections, not the individual monthly comics. Like to binge.

• Advertisement

Reading Batman: Odyssey by Neal Adams and really not finding it all the interesting or fun. It's so convoluted and ridiculous that it's hard to take at all serious and while the basic themes and issues raised are interesting they feel like they belong in a more adult and serious book. The art is really nice and the way each chapter opens with Bruce Wayne talking to the reader is a nice touch but there is a real sense that the whole thing is Adams trying to come across as being cleverer than he really is.

Finished book 1 of Scalped and really loved it. An intelligent, well written, adult work that touches on some serious issues without ever feeling exploitative. It's very much an adult book and the language, violence and implied sex never feels there simply for the sake of it. It actually drives the plot and helps ground the story in reality. What's perhaps most impressive about the whole book is the manner in which it draws on real events. In the hands of a lesser writer it has all the potential to be a juvenile and trashy book but thankfully the material is treated with respect and the writing is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭spektorfive

So read Scott Synder Streets of Gotham and Black Mirror. After reading Court/night of owls I notice a trend in Scott writing:

Streets Of Gotham: Batman investigate mysterious deaths connected to Gotham secret past and to the Bat family.

Black Mirror: Batman investigate mysterious deaths connected to Gotham secret past and to the Bat family.

Court/Night of Owls: Batman investigate mysterious deaths connected to Gotham secret past and to the Bat family.

I have not read Superman Unchained but assume Superman investigate mysterious deaths connected to Metropolis past and to the to his past.

So read Scott Synder Streets of Gotham and Black Mirror. After reading Court/night of owls I notice a trend in Scott writing:

Streets Of Gotham: Batman investigate mysterious deaths connected to Gotham secret past and to the Bat family.

Black Mirror: Batman investigate mysterious deaths connected to Gotham secret past and to the Bat family.

Court/Night of Owls: Batman investigate mysterious deaths connected to Gotham secret past and to the Bat family.

I have not read Superman Unchained but assume Superman investigate mysterious deaths connected to Metropolis past and to the to his past.

Reminds me of that sketch Rich Hall did about Tom Cruise movies.

Currently reading volume 2 of Saga. Really good and enjoyable read and I now know where the Lying Cat pics I've seen before reading Saga come from. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Jenda

Haven't read comics in a while, so I've been catching up on things that I've seen discussed a lot over the past year.

Currently reading (and enjoying!) Superior Spider-Man, Young Avengers, and Hawkeye. :)

Burky126 wrote: »

Oh yes and I read this two months back - brilliant! Picked it up together with his redemptive look at Fagan which I enjoyed as well!

Also finally getting around to From Hell, which I'm halfway through and currently taking a small breather from after one of the really heavy chapters :p

Jenda wrote: »
    Also finally getting around to From Hell, which I'm halfway through and currently taking a small breather from after one of the really heavy chapters :p

For me, Alan Moore's From Hell is the greatest achievement yet in the world of graphic novels.

I'm just starting Volume 2 of Fables.

Have decided now that any time I order something off Amazon to throw in a TPB as well

I'm just starting Volume 2 of Fables.

Have decided now that any time I order something off Amazon to throw in a TPB as well

Enjoy it mate!

I enjoyed Fables a lot until <minor spoilers>
    around issues maybe 40-50 where the tone and focus shifted a lot more to an extended political metaphor of a current global conflict, of which I fould myself on the opposite side to the author's point of view, something that completely took me out of the narrative unfortunately
    :o

• Advertisement

Yeah I heard it starts to get a bit crap later on. The 3 comics i've started the trade for are Saga, Chew and Fables Just finished volume 2 of Chew. Saga's probably my fave of the 3 but volume 3 won't be out until probably the middle of next year. I could always start getting the standalone issues but am kind of getting away from all that.

May try Invincible or Locke & Key next

Advertisement