Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I read through everything Matt Fraction did on Invincible Iron Man over the last year and really enjoyed it. The Most Wanted arc was great, and there were plenty of other cool things in there. Marvel Now Iron Man is still doing alright, but its hard to form a solid opinion of. My favorite issue thus far was #2 (Gentlemens Wager). The last number of issues though have been really... ambitious. They're trying to essentially rewrite a new secret origin story for the character and while its "acceptable", I'm just not sure how it will play out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Love Fraction. He has a new series out Wedneday from Image with Howard Chaykin that I'm very excited about called Satellite Sam

With regards to Gillen's current run on Iron Man. I bought the first five and loved the writing but Land on art took me out of it completely and I ended up dropping it. Might pick up the trades...same with Guardians of the Galaxy and Hawkeye and Hulk

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

One of those pocket books - Uncanny X-Men: Rogue Storm. Classic Claremont which engages and makes me chortle, as well. Like how the plot (when it makes sense) is constantly repeated in expositionary dialogue. Or one of the characters thinking about someone else's relationship during a fight scene :D

Bit difficult to read, as old age creeps up on me, the vision has gone long sighted as well as shorted sighted, dammit.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 brandom

Relatively new to this but now I am hooked - started out with The Walking Dead, now working my way through Sandman and American Vampire while I wait and think Saga will be next on my list, either that or Manhattan Project, both look interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 81,917 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thwip! wrote: »
    Love Fraction. He has a new series out Wedneday from Image with Howard Chaykin that I'm very excited about called Satellite Sam

With regards to Gillen's current run on Iron Man. I bought the first five and loved the writing but Land on art took me out of it completely and I ended up dropping it. Might pick up the trades...same with Guardians of the Galaxy and Hawkeye and Hulk
    I preferred the art with fraction but I still feel the new guy is doing pretty well in fairness. Definitely a different taste but I think it works well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭Ridley

All-Star Superman - I watched the movie adaptation afterwards and find its decision to change it so
    Superman kill Solaris because he's all out of mercy
    or something strange. Though I hear Man of Steel is in similar territory. wink.png The comic may technically not be constrained by continuity but it clearly has baggage, referencing a bunch of stuff I have little to no knowledge about. But as the story of
    a dying demi-god trying to make sure the world keeps spinning after he's gone
    , it's good. The big fat head. I do think the idea of a
    vat grown "Superman 2"
    is a terrible one to have. Seems to me that Superman is the product of his humble upbringing, placing his powers
    in the hands of any scientist
    is the recipe for an eventual cold war.

The World's Greatest Super-Heroes - Or so they say. Bought it because Spirit of Truth popped in the best Wonder Woman stories I was "something"ing for. DC's capes deal with real issues. Not bad but all got a bit samey, really. Plus I call shenanigans on Green Lantern being able to power a green ball for containment that's quickly gaining distance away from the ring, power a shield around an island and dozens of individual iron lungs while going "Oh no, I've used up more than half of my charge!" It's overpowered and rubbish. Might as well have will'd up a ship's captain to steer a vessel and use it as Skype like Johns did. tongue.png Weird to see Batman standing in a brightly lit convenience store amid the usual Gotham nightlife.

Fantastic Four 1: New Departure, New Arrivals - Certainly not going to complain about Fraction's name being on the book (Marvel) now but it seems whenever there's a new creative team on the FF, a soft reset button is hit and similar stories get told whether part of Marvel Now or not. Doctor Doom, Galactus, time travel, alternate dimensions, powers switched, roster is changed, Human Torch does something irresponsible before learning never to do it again etc. etc. So after Hickman has Reed Richards trying to solve everything
    (he doesn't)
    , killing off
    Johnny Storm (several times)
    and
    Franklin coming to the present from the future
    , Richards is trying
    to stop himself from dying and drag his family, held hostage to him for years, down with him into an alternative universe with a time dialation as part of a story which began with Franklin having a vision of the future that looks like uncannily like the event which gave the FF their powers in the first place
    . Plus Johnny does something irresponsible in making his worryingly named "Ms. Thing" girlfriend his replacement for four seconds on the
    'temp'
    roster. Still, early days. wink.png

Peter Panzerfaust I: The Great Escape
    Peter Panzerfaust II: Hooked
    - Lost interest fairly quickly to be honest. Retelling of Peter Pan to the backdrop of World War II. Took me way too long to make the connection that the Belle Peter is searching for is Tinkerbell. Not too sure about the art either. The story's framed by
    interviews with the surviving Lost Boys (one per arc at the moment)
    but the guy doing the
    questioning just looks like Peter
    so I can't tell whether it's just a very similar character design or supposed to be a badly hidden surprise or what. There's also a really bad piece of sequential storytelling where the boys are supposed to be following Peter to another building to escape a fire. They're all shown jumping at the same time, moving through the air one behind the other like there's a queue to get through a tall window. Funnily enough, most of the boys aren't wiped by smacking into each other in a jam that should happen at the window and splatting into the concrete below.

BRPD: Plague of Frogs 1 - Been trying to find an in into the Hellboy universe for a while since I like the idea but the movies, TPBs and game weren't clicking with me. Turns out what did the trick was removing Hellboy. pacman.gif

Exile on the Planet of the Apes
    Planet of the Apes: Cataclysm 1
    - Not bad but a bit of a let down in comparison to Betrayal. Cataclysm's pretty much an intro to the ongoing so I should give it the benefit of the doubt. It is, however, tapping into the arts of the franchise I don't really care for.
    ie the psychics Beneath the Planet of the Apes

Green Manor I: Assassins and Gentlemen - Anthology of murder stories centered around the titular club of 19th century Victorian England. I like it. The tales are too brief (much like the collections by the look of it) to really get into the meat of them but as a collection of ideas, it's interesting. Particularly like the one about
    the guy challenging a man to figure out who he's going to kill
    . Would make a good TV series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Ok, beginner question, Watchmen is constantly in the top ten lists of must read graphic novels. For someone who has seen the movie, is there much in there that hasnt been covered? Worth the read all the same?

With the movie, Snyder basically captured the aesthetic of the book whilst simultaneously losing it's depth. Still a solid movie but not a patch on the book

Oh ok, I guess I might as well give it a go so. Back to the end of a long list with ye Watchmen! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

^^^ unless that's a list of two with TWD compendium and DKR then get it straight back to the top

• Advertisement

stuchyg wrote: »
    ^^^ unless that's a list of two with TWD compendium and DKR then get it straight back to the top

Actually, Dark Night Returns is on that list :pac: I dont know what TWD is though. I got spiderman blue and superman Kingdom come in the post at the moment, and I wanted to read more into the events preceeding the infinity gauntlet as well. After that, the death and return of Superman, and those important few Batman graphic novels. So yeah, itl be a few weeks or months before Watchmen gets its chance.

Also, I have a really nice leather bound copy of Dracula which I just cant get around to starting. Mostly because of the weather, how can you read dracula in 27degree sunshine? You cant!

^^^ TWD is The Walking Dead

Also nice one with the Dracula :D

^^^ TWD is The Walking Dead

Also nice one with the Dracula :D

Ah, The Walking Dead. Well I'm going through my third playthrough of The Last of Us at the moment, and following RTEs run of TWD season 3, so I think thats my fill of zombies right now :)

And yeah, this copy of Dracula is probably the nicest looking book I'v ever owned. You have to hold it in your hand to really appreciate it. Satin ribbon bookmark, decorative stained page edging, the cover is blood red as well, pictures dont do it justice...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dracula-Leatherbound-Classics-Classic-Collection/dp/1435129733/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1373932184&sr=1-1&keywords=barnes+and+noble+dracula

Will be waiting til later in the year to start this, sometime around October/November seems appropriate.

I like nice things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

51fFkI6ABVL._SY300_.jpg

Martin is one of a handful of Templar Knights to escape when the king of France and the pope conspire to destroy the noble order. The king aims to frame the Templars for heresy, execute all of them, and make off with their legendary treasure. That's the plan, anyway, but Martin and several other surviving knights mount a counter-campaign to regain the lost treasure of the Knights Templar. With gorgeous illustrations by LeUyen Pham and Alexander Puvilland and lush coloring from Hilary Sycamore, this 480-page, full-color, hardcover graphic novel by Jordan Mechner is itself a treasure.

Top notch read IMO . About 60% through this. A real page turner.:D

I read through Spiderman Blue last night, I missed it while the CBRC was reading it. Quite enjoyable, although I'm not usually one for the love stories.
    I felt more time could have been spent with the Kraven fight, it seemed a little rushed considering it was building up over the course of the whole story. I also found it a little weird that Peter was sitting in his attic recording creepy tapes to Gwen. Anyways, still a great read

Also, I didnt realise until the 6th comic that the sub-heading of each was a song title. Jazz standards no less, which tie into the whole Blue theme. Gotta pay more attention! :)

The reason the fight wasn't heavily focused on is because it was covered in the actual stories from that time line ASM Vol 1 #43-48 and #63

My noob-ery showing again! :pac:

Can somebody recommend me a good primer comic for the upcoming Thor 2 movie? If its based on any of the comics that is. And something for Captain America 2 as well, I dont know anything about the Winter Soldier, cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭maximoose

Reading #91 of TWD after a bit of a break, don't know why I stopped... now I'm not looking forward to catching up and having to wait for new issues

Can somebody recommend me a good primer comic for the upcoming Thor 2 movie? If its based on any of the comics that is. And something for Captain America 2 as well, I dont know anything about the Winter Soldier, cheers!

For Cap, definitely grab the trade of the same name, Winter Soldier, it's a brilliant story in itself

For Thor it can be a bit trickier, the current Thor comic is doing a Malekith the Accursed arc soon enough (in the run up to the movie, funny that :rolleyes: ) and it will have the simply astounding Garney on art so it'll be a treat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

maximoose wrote: »
    Reading #91 of TWD after a bit of a break, don't know why I stopped... now I'm not looking forward to catching up and having to wait for new issues

Wait another month or to for them to wrap up this Negan story link, i think its really starting to drag on now.

Anybody been reading Injustice: Gods Among Us?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,863 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

For Thor it can be a bit trickier, the current Thor comic is doing a Malekith the Accursed arc soon enough (in the run up to the movie, funny that :rolleyes: ) and it will have the simply astounding Garney on art so it'll be a treat

I think they've started the prequel comic as well, haven't they?
    Wait another month or to for them to wrap up this Negan story link, i think its really starting to drag on now.

Anybody been reading Injustice: Gods Among Us?

And TWD goes bi weekly in August or September for the big event.

Yeah, I'm reading Injustice. Quite good. Latest was pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Bi weekly will be much welcomed.

Big event?

Yes, I'm really enjoying Injustice, wishing they were a little longer. I'm a Superman fan over Batman so I love seeing his darker side explored more.

I've only just read his name now in #96, was wondering who the hell Negan was!
    CastorTroy wrote: »
    And TWD goes bi weekly in August or September for the big event.

Excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

maximoose wrote: »
    I've only just read his name now in #96, was wondering who the hell Negan was!

He's a tough puzzle to crack, you'll enjoy the next few issues if you plan on reading them in large chunks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

What's the big event in TWD?

A Neurotic wrote: »
    What's the big event in TWD?
    All out war between the 4 different settlements; Rick's, Negan's, Hilltop and The Kingdom.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

All out war between the 4 different settlements; Rick's, Negan's, Hilltop and The Kingdom.

Ah. Has Kirkman talked about it somewhere? How do you know?

It's been talked about on differnet sites, originally announced the Image Expo (2 weeks ago?) and again at Comic Con over the weekend.

• Advertisement

He's a tough puzzle to crack, you'll enjoy the next few issues if you plan on reading them in large chunks.

I'm enjoying it alright. Hilltop was seeming just to be Alexandria mk II but the Negan thing is livening it up a little
    Abraham and Glenn just died, god sh*t-f*ck damn it I loved Abraham!

Also, one of the things I've loved most about TWD is the covers, but they've been incredibly boring in this "Something to Fear" chapter... sort it out!

Advertisement