Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Yea that's where I was looking, more like €40 at the moment but I'll keep an eye

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

there is generally a 10% off code doing the rounds for book d, use it and twd should be 36 delivered

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

The book depository have Volume 1 for £33.67 and Volume 2 for £28.80 at the moment. Pretty good for the content, especially if you can get that 10% off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Grant Morrison's The Filth. Again. Completely forgot how scuzzy and twisted it is :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I had a read of Flex Mentallo (lovely art from Frank Quitely, story was more of Morrison's "ONLY SUPERHEROES CAN SAVE YOUR IMAGINATION" metatwaddle) and Blue Estate Volume 1 (interesting art and storytelling, but this volume basically consists of Chapter 1 for four stories, none of which are resolved by the end of the volume - so it just sort of lurches to a halt when you finish) courtesy of my local library. I think I'd have been considerably cheesed off if I'd paid even close to full cover price for them, actually.

Currently working my way through The Activity Volume 1, the first 2 issues of which I'd picked up after enjoying Who Is Jake Ellis?. Decently-grounded and convincing intelligence/espionage comics here, well worth checking out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

A few years ago a buddy sent me Morrison's New X-Men as a gift but it never arrived. At this point, I think it's doing the nonlinear thang so it'll arrive in the future to explain why we're not on speaking terms now. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

I'm currently reading through Marvel's entire Civil War arc, including issues of Amazing Spider-Man, She-Hulk, Wolverine, Black Panther etc. It's pretty great to read it all in (roughly) the intended crossover order!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I'm currently reading through Marvel's entire Civil War arc, including issues of Amazing Spider-Man, She-Hulk, Wolverine, Black Panther etc. It's pretty great to read it all in (roughly) the intended crossover order!
    I did that with AvX....was still substandard :P

Just finished Blackest Night.....tad overrated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Northlanders_-1.png

Top Notch IMO,I liked this one Big Time ,so I will be checking out more of this series.

JUN110885_m.jpg

Imo not as good as part 1 (story wise).Its a while since I read part one,but this one seemed to have even more over the top sex scenes and violence,if that's possible.So much so that it became boring after a while.Not sure if I will be getting more of these ,as it just seems to be more of the same.

Eh maybe I will try just one more...........

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Finally finished Preacher. That was quite an enjoyable read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Anyone following X-Men: Legacy? My favourite title of the entire Marvel NOW line so far, constantly surprising, heartwarming, disturbing and genuinely funny at times. I really hope the head honchos give Spurrier a chance with this.

Mike Del Mundo knocking it outta the park with each cover too!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I haven't enjoyed it at all...was probably the book I least enjoyed...and I have read Red She Hulk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 toallthose

By nephew got Knightfall vol 1/2 I trying slowly work my way through them. Along with Thor Reborn and 3 rd last volume of hellblazer. Got some free comics yesterday and fair play to the women dressed as poison ivy in FP yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

30 days of night: beyond barrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

toallthose wrote: »
    By nephew got Knightfall vol 1/2 I trying slowly work my way through them. Along with Thor Reborn and 3 rd last volume of hellblazer. Got some free comics yesterday and fair play to the women dressed as poison ivy in FP yesterday.

I went to Forbidden Planet at around 12:30pm on Saturday and discovered that all of the FCBD comics were already gone (!). Luckily Sub City had some left so I got the two I was hoping for there.

I just started on Y: The Last Man, finished the first volume last week. Not a bad start, interested to see where it goes.

Also went through my backlog and finished the first six issues of Scarlet Spider, which started off slow but really picked up with issue 4. Kaine's fight with 4 Assassins was great and I loved his frustration at being labelled "Scarlet Spider," a nice wink for long time fans.

I went to Forbidden Planet at around 12:30pm on Saturday and discovered that all of the FCBD comics were already gone (!). Luckily Sub City had some left so I got the two I was hoping for there.

I just started on Y: The Last Man, finished the first volume last week. Not a bad start, interested to see where it goes.

Also went through my backlog and finished the first six issues of Scarlet Spider, which started off slow but really picked up with issue 4. Kaine's fight with 4 Assassins was great and I loved his frustration at being labelled "Scarlet Spider," a nice wink for long time fans.

Have you kept up to date with Scarlet Spider? It's really great lately

No I've only read those first six issues but I have read about the new changes. I picked up #16 over the weekend and will be getting it monthly from here on out.

I wasn't a fan of "The Other" but I do like the idea of Kaine having those extra powers so it's enough of a hook for me to get over the connection to that storyline. Really looking forward to Scarlet bumping into Superior, that can't happen soon enough.

No I've only read those first six issues but I have read about the new changes. I picked up #16 over the weekend and will be getting it monthly from here on out.

I wasn't a fan of "The Other" but I do like the idea of Kaine having those extra powers so it's enough of a hook for me to get over the connection to that storyline. Really looking forward to Scarlet bumping into Superior, that can't happen soon enough.

Ah I know the feeling, I'm waiting for that showdown

Betrayal of the Planet of the Apes -Good prequel the film and worthy tie-in. Only other Boom tie-in was Die Hard: Year One which I liked but I thought it eventually fell into trap of too many nods and winks to the film by the end of the first arc which is a symptom of poopy tie-ins that coast on the name of the brand alone (*cough*Highlander*cough*). Anyway, BotPotA is set in the years before wannabe conqueror of the mutes Taylor arrives and the ape society has a more rigid caste system. Has general-turned-lawyer Aleron embroiled in events that spiral out from his defence of a friend that has controversially taught his pet human sign-language. Worth a look, and I'll get to the follow up eventually.

Star Wars: Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison - Far superior to Vader and the Lost Command and is one of the post-Episode III stories that gives the character back the teeth from classic trilogy rather than just the angsty NOOOOOO Anakin Skywalker whether he's in the suit or not. Gets old seeing the guy being damaged so often (from the same author on some occassions). Kinda funny that it means
    the Emperor sort of takes his place in that regard
    but it's a refreshing change of pace. Vader and an ambitious Imperial deal with a terrorist threat to the young Empire. It's now among my recommendations on which Star Wars comics to read.

Irredeemable 5
    Irredeemable 6

Conan 11: Road of Kings - I don't like Roy Thomas' name on things. Thought he was one of the worse offenders for the casual misogyny of the early Marvel superhero stories and found what little I've read of his Marvel Conan stuff to be a chore. So naturally I was thrilled when I found out he was joining the Dark Horse Conan. biggrin.png The switch over from Busiek to Truman felt like a continuation but Thomas grinds the previous set-up to a halt and continues on with the his own thing and, maybe I'm just biased, echoes of the old attitude seep through. The appeal of the comics for me is seeing the life story of one guy (who I don't particularly like) so the abrupt change doesn't work. At least it was addressed I suppose. In no rush to read the next collection.

Fantastic Four/Iron Man: Big In Japan - Big in Japan tonight.
    Big in Japan be tight...
    Big in Japan... Ooh the eastern sea's so blue
    Big in Japan... Alright, pay!
    Then I'll sleep by your side
    Things are easy when you're big in Japan.

Was a meh from me. Didn't care for the surrealism and Mole Man is just rubbish in general. I'd assume the FF would be celebrities in the Marvel Universe's Japan without the kaiju fighting schtick as they're the touring pop star types. Saw one review say they didn't understand why Iron Man was there yet I'm guessing he's in there due to his similarity to Ultraman.

Hulk: Abominable - Still liking Bruce Jones's run. Interesting misprint meant the dialogue boxes were on the wrong page but never mind. Just like Hulk, the view of Abomination was restricted. Certainly helps when the character's design is rather silly. Liked
    his (non-)reactions just being the same panel of eyes
    . More plz.

Young Avengers Ultimate Collection - Enjoyed it. Was planning to get to eventually but reading the Marvel Now issue put it back on my radar. Unfortunately the first thing I ever read about the YA was
    the Asgardian joke
    and it keeps popping into my head when I'm reading about Wiccan. Oh and there's a typo misspells 'maybe' as 'mabye'.

Hawkeye 1: My Life As A Weapon - READ IT-READ IT-READ IT-READ IT ... READ IT-READ IT-READ IT! Hope the quality is maintained because that was an absolute pleasure.

Captain Marvel 1: In Pursuit of Flight - Danvers' haircut isn't nearly a outthere as it is on the cover. Not sure about the helmet.

Spider-Man: Blue
    Hulk: Gray
    Daredevil: Yellow

Think I preferred Daredevil of the three. Not keen on the implications of Hulk's ending nor Sale's uber-skinny Bruce Banner.

Brubaker/Lark Daredevil Omnibus 2

Ridley wrote: »
    Hawkeye 1: My Life As A Weapon - READ IT-READ IT-READ IT-READ IT ... READ IT-READ IT-READ IT! Hope the quality is maintained because that was an absolute pleasure.

HELL YES!

• Advertisement

Thwip! wrote: »
    HELL YES!

Wish I could voice my praise better than complaining about what I don't like. ;)

Best influence the Cinematic Universe has had on the books is raising Hawkeye's profile and encouraging them to ditch the mask.

Fraction is nailing it and the addition of Aja is inspired

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The issues without Aja are heartbreaking though, not that the fill-in art is in anyway bad, but for me Aja just gets it's so right. Probably sounds like moaning when really I mean Aja and Fraction are just a match made in heaven.

mayordenis wrote: »
    The issues without Aja are heartbreaking though, not that the fill-in art is in anyway bad, but for me Aja just gets it's so right. Probably sounds like moaning when really I mean Aja and Fraction are just a match made in heaven.
    You're speaking to the wrong guy

I'm a die-hard Francavilla fan ;)

So I've been following Age of Ultron since it started and have not really been enjoying it... this week's #8 has started to change that...

It's a bit hit and miss isn't it? #8 was great though.

Am I the only one thinking that
    Alternate Tony Stark looks like a white Kang the Conqueror

It's a bit hit and miss isn't it? #8 was great though.

Am I the only one thinking that
    Alternate Tony Stark looks like a white Kang the Conqueror

Now that you mention it he does looks like that.

Maybe I'm too harsh as the series hasn't been all bad. I enjoyed #5 and #6 a bit, didn't care much for #7, as I felt that none of it mattered, but with the background to the world given through Stark in #8 I'm starting to enjoy it more.
    His reference to a war between magic and technology and how the world is different because of that was quite good and I'm interetsed to learn more about that.

Now that you mention it he does looks like that.

Maybe I'm too harsh as the series hasn't been all bad. I enjoyed #5 and #6 a bit, didn't care much for #7, as I felt that none of it mattered, but with the background to the world given through Stark in #8 I'm starting to enjoy it more.
    His reference to a war between magic and technology and how the world is different because of that was quite good and I'm interetsed to learn more about that.

the only problem is
    that war would've made for a great event in itself...and they skipped it :P

the only problem is
    that war would've made for a great event in itself...and they skipped it :P

What are you saying?
    That Bendis should have condensed his first 5 issues into 4 and had an extra issue of Tony/ White Kang explaining to "our" Wolverine the history of his "altered" timeline in a "what-if" style issue to give the story more background and be probably a lot more enjoyable that it has been up to now?

... because if that's the case then yeah I agree with you:)

• Advertisement

^^ Pretty much :P

Could've done #1 and #2 as just one oversized issue

Advertisement