Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What comic are you reading at the moment.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 214 ✭✭twilightzone

I started reading Vertigo's 'The New Deadwardians' last night, very unusual, I like it! Anyone else read it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

"Beyond Palomar" Gilbert Hernandez. A prequel to Palomar, dealing with young Luba and her gangster husband. Quite disturbing, in parts but fascinating if you love the whole saga...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Picked up Killing Joke and Hush. I read Killing Joke a few years ago but never read Hush. I know about the character Hush already so that will probably ruin it a bit.

Still, can't wait to give them a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Anyone read this week's DC comics? They do that whole Channel 52 thing at the end of each issue now and this week's just gave away a big spoiler at the end of this week's Batman Inc. So basically if you had read something like Aquaman before Batman Inc, you would've had it spoiled.
    Why would they do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Anyone read this week's DC comics? They do that whole Channel 52 thing at the end of each issue now and this week's just gave away a big spoiler at the end of this week's Batman Inc. So basically if you had read something like Aquaman before Batman Inc, you would've had it spoiled.
    Why would they do that?

Yeah saw that when i was reading The Flash. Wasnt spoiled for me though, NY Post and Newsarama took care of that days before hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Why would they do that?

I read Batman Inc Number 8 but never noticed the spoilers at the end. Seems like a stupid thing to do alright, only (sort of) defence I can give is that they are expecting it to be spoiled, I think the cover was leaked few weeks ago, and the NY Times spoiled the issue last week so DC don't put any effort into concealing the surprise.

On the actual surprise I was a little underwhelmed by
    Robin's death
    ...I am not a Morrison fan but his strong points seem to be out there, f*cked up ideas rather than the resonating character moments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Ordered the first few issues of DMZ. Looking forward to reading

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

stuchyg wrote: »
    Ordered the first few issues of DMZ. Looking forward to reading

It's a solid speculative near-political series; it takes a little while to get going, but it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,869 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I read Batman Inc Number 8 but never noticed the spoilers at the end. Seems like a stupid thing to do alright, only (sort of) defence I can give is that they are expecting it to be spoiled, I think the cover was leaked few weeks ago, and the NY Times spoiled the issue last week so DC don't put any effort into concealing the surprise.

On the actual surprise I was a little underwhelmed by
    Robin's death
    ...I am not a Morrison fan but his strong points seem to be out there, f*cked up ideas rather than the resonating character moments.

I never read any of the spoilers and found out beforehand that Channel 52 spoils it so read Inc first. But they planned on spoiling before the news stories since that Channel 52 would take a bit of time to do and get in print. As for the cover being released long before just because it had
    Robin RIP
    didn't really mean anything after how
    Batman RIP
    ended

Thwip! wrote: »
    Newsarama took care of that days before hand

Latest Newsarama headline
    'Help Wanted: 10 Applicants for the New Robin'
    ....just below the headline '**If you've somehow managed to avoid Batman Incorporated #8 spoilers up to this point and hope to continue to do so turn around now.**'

• Advertisement

Oh FFS

And they just ruined the end of Uncanny Avengers....guess it's time unsubscribe from their updates.

Thanks for letting me know. I was gonna go to their page there...lucky one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I'm reading Jennifer Blood. Pretty decent and ridiculously over the top.

Just finished up the last issue of Willow Wonderland by Christos Gage and Jeff Parker. Beautifully made mini series

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Read issues 2 & 3 of the new Luther Strode mini recently - it's still pretty good though the story feels hollower than the first series, in part because the majority of what we've seen so far has been action rather than character stuff. Worth checking out if you liked the first one, though, and still one of the most visually inventive books when it comes to ultraviolence - Tradd Moore is up there with Juan Jose Ryp or Rafael Grampá in that regard.

Also finally got round to picking up London Horror Comic #5, and not only was it great but I think in terms of storytelling JP has actually levelled up. The choice to have fewer but longer stories worked well, and allowed a greater depth of character that really worked well, especially for the genuinely chilling final story. This issue also featured one of the most genuinely stunning final-panel reveals I've seen in years, and what made it better was that it was justified in the story's context rather than just being cheap shocks for the sake of it a la Millar or Ennis-on-a-bad-day.

Chew Volume 6 was great, although had a pretty shocking conclusion. I adore the humour and inventiveness in this series, and would probably actually buy a Poyo In Space one-shot if it were releases, so the developments in the closing pages of this issue were even more effective.
    Damn you Layman for making Toni such a great, likeable character and then killing her off! On the plus side, I like that even there we had moments of black humour like the return of the ongoing beets gag.
    Chew really is like a textbook demonstration on How To Make Good Comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭jaxdasher

Finally got the courage to finish off Hellblazer. I wish it would never end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭Ridley

Fraction and Larroca's Invincible Iron Man Omnibus 2 - Gets around Stark's Civil War personality quite nicely I thought. While he isn't absolved,
    his back-up memory pre-dating the event
    takes the sting out of it in a good way. Sure it's glorified
    amnesia
    but at least it's a different take.

FF 2: The Supermor Seed
    FF 3: All Hope Lies in Doom
    Fantastic Four 5: Forever
    - And thus concludes the story of how great Reed Richards' testicles are says the cynical part of me. It's a shame that
    Johnny Storm was clearly going to return in time for issue #600
    but it's good that Marvel took the risk of telling the whole arc over eight volumes despite the moments that felt like padding. Ultimately it brings the story back to being about family and I wouldn't mind seeing it adapted in some form for the movie reboot so it stands a chance of hanging with The Incredibles. Spidey just making up the numbers in the end then? He should have been faced with situations that could only be solved with lots of fire. wink.png Great that
    I get the Torch back
    but there's some dodgy moral issues going on. Ideally the book will/can justify
    the sentient Annihilus literally being kept on a leash

The Death of Captain America Complete Collection - It's a shame that
    Captain America is clearly going to return in time for issue #600
    etc. etc. Huh. I enjoyed it anyway. Now let's imagine a world where there wasn't a revolving door in comics so that the Winter Soldier stuff had even more significance.

The Walking Dead 16
    The Walking Dead 17
    - Oh hey, a world where there isn't a revolving door and so on. pacman.gif Honestly thought it would
    be Rick getting killed off for issue #100. No, no, just kill of my favourite character instead, I won't mind.

The Rocketeer: The Complete Adventures - Both of 'em. Pretty meh really. Strange how the Disney movie to didn't keep Betty or her career as a pin-up girl...

Insufferable - It's free and successfully presents comics online in a form that I can digest so can't complain too much. It's fine, nowhere near Waid's best, however, and I couldn't tell whether the sequel plug was a joke or not. tongue.png

The Last Days of American Crime - Apart from the heist itself I found the book a slog to get through. Set in the final days before the government is to activate tech which makes it impossible to commit a crime, a guy sets his sights on committing a bank robbery and escaping the US before the borders close forever. Could be more interesting on film as I preferred the concept to the execution.

- Good throughout. Never enough Sokka though. *cough*

Naruto 57
    Naruto 58
    Naruto 59
    Naruto 60
    - Thankfully it's got back into the groove when 56 seemed to be going all over the the place.

Conan 10: Iron Shadows in the Moon - Farly tame punishment from a vengeful god for killing his child but there you go. Conan goes to an island in his pants, deals with pirates and fights an ape.

Donald Duck: Lost in the Andes -Aside from the mid-1900's racial stereotyping I enjoyed it. Not as good as Scrooge, whose next volume doesn't seem to out until next year at the earliest, but Donald vs the witch was great. She turns into a beautiful lady duck* and flirts. He tells her to shut up. Awesome.

*You mileage may vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

The Walking Dead: up to date so far

Crossed: Psychopath: After the nice and fluffy Crossed and Family Values :pac:

Punisher Max
    : Loving it, only got back into comics recently and head good things about the Max series. Starting Wolverine Max later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I just read Planet Hulk, and I thought it was pretty good :)

• Advertisement

Yeah i loved it myself.... very good book. I recommend World War Hulk next :D

Just read the first issue of Mark Waid's Green Hornet....ADORED IT

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Ordered The Walking Dead compendium Part 1.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Ordered The Walking Dead compendium Part 1.

Best comic you will ever order

Best comic you will ever order

Until he orders this?

51kuXem833L.jpg

^^^ thats good but at 30 quid for 1000 pages of quality comic TWD beats anything for me

^^^ thats good but at 30 quid for 1000 pages of quality comic TWD beats anything for me

Ah my bad....I thought you were talking about quality alone.

no probs, quality alone I think id go for DKR

After meaning to check it out for ages, I picked up the two Dark Horse Blacksad hardcovers recently. They're not cheap, but boy are they worth it - larger than standard US comic size, and with absolutely gorgeous artwork, they're an absolute feast for the eyes. I could waffle on longer, but just look at the first two pages of the first story:

blacksadp1.jpg
    blacksadp2.jpg

Artwork like that is worth having on larger-than-normal pages. The stories are pretty damn good too, nicely gritty noir set against a backdrop of 1950s America torn between optimism for the future and McCarthyist fearmongering about The (Potential) Enemy Within. I've read the first volume so far, which had 3 stories in it, and I think my favourite was Arctic Nation. In saying that, they're all good and I look forward to reading the backmatter & extras in the second volume almost as much as the main story itself.

Beyond that, I've mainly been making slow progress through my still-outstanding stash of Francobelgian stuff picked up on last year's holiday.

Brandon Graham fans may be interested to note that not only is Perverts Of The Unknown back in print (yes, it's technically smut, hence my not linking to a listing for it, but it's also hilarious and oddly enough actually a good story in its own right), but he's also got an art book (Walrus)coming up soon. (No word yet on a TPB for Multiple Warheads, sadly :()

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Where could I get that for 30 quid? Would definately get it

• Advertisement

Try boo depository or aamazon, should be 35 at most

Advertisement