Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Laughing Goblins - Adventurers Board

Options
  • 15-03-2004 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭

This thread is for players who are looking for a group to play with and/or groups which are looking for new blood.

Note non-rpg posts will be stamped on hard.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Right just to kick things off.

Are there any groups active in the drogheda area ? Or anyone interested in giving setting up one a go ?

Mostly looking for fellow old gits, who are old enough to remember playing the old red box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

old enough to remember playing the old red box.

Pah! that's not old... the blue box, pre AD&D, now that shiznit be old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭AL][EN

with my imanent return to dublin (now that ive gained successful employment in dublin nothing can stop me MWHUAUAUAU) i was going to post a thread similar to this in about a months time. Both myself and thead have been talking about this and we will be setting up a gamers club IE. Card games (magic the gathering, munchkin, magic etc) RPG games (im not going to list games as there are too many) and hopefully wargaming (warhammer, 40K, bloodbowl etc) in dublin fairly soon, were looking to start setting it up in may of this year and we'll be based in D15 (blanchardstown) area. it will be primarly be a RPG gamers club but hey with time and money put into this who knows what it will spawn into.

[i know im shamelessly plugging this but there is good cause] as unlike most other gaming clubs we will be happy to teach non gamers (IE norms) who have never ever played an RPG game before and we will show them how to play RPG's and what this malarkey is all about also we are even considering teaching people how to DM games properly too, all are welcome no matter how good or bad you are at playing.

more details will follow once i have a house in dublin and have nit picked the finer details with thead and from may were looking to open the club. more details will follow in the coming months

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Bazkaz

I am looking for a bit of old fashioned, die rolling, sword swinging, spell casting, pocket-picking, paper and pencil D&D in the Galway area, city centre preferably... anyone out there??? used to play a good few years ago and still do in a small way with NWN but would like to get back into "the real thing"

Baz:)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Salubri

If anyone hasn't heard of the Flat Earth Games Soc in Sligo - go here Earth is Flat (and don't break my heart with comments about "when will it be updated" - etc... I'm almost there... *sigh*)
    Now for the real point... We gamer types in Sligo are not as thin on the ground as we used to be - but people are still having trouble finding a troupe / group to get started with. We want to fix this and to this end we are thinking about having a weekly games session in a hall with several groups attending and a variety of games happening. We need to know if this is viable and so are asking around... If you are interested or know people who would be interested in regular gaming in Sligo please email games and let us know.
    This WILL probably be happening anyway - just between our core group who game every week already we should be able to afford the hall... We don't really need it though and it would be nice to know if there is demand out there...

A thought:
    Do ANY Sligonians come on here at all? I hope I'm not wearing out my typing finger for nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Originally posted by Bazkaz
    I am looking for a bit of old fashioned, die rolling, sword swinging, spell casting, pocket-picking, paper and pencil D&D in the Galway area, city centre preferably... anyone out there??? used to play a good few years ago and still do in a small way with NWN but would like to get back into "the real thing"

Baz:)

Fansci, NUI Galway's fantasy/sci-fi society. Being a student isn't really necessary. Lots of D&D, some GURPS, Vampire, Exalted, Call of Cthulhu... There's a good mix of serious,crazy, long and short adventures going all the time, and there's a massive range of experience (we have plenty of older folks who've been gaming for decades :) ) We generally meet in college tuesday/wednesday around 7pm, but seeing as most of us live around Newcastle there's plenty of gaming in our own homes at other times too...

You can either pm me, or go to www.sin.ie/boards to the society's own forum for more details.

If you DO ever come along, be prepared for some of us rambling on about 30th level fiendish vampiric monks and celestial paragon half-dragon dire bears (!). :) Once you get used to such shameless crackwhoring, we're really quite nice... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Mouserat

Originally posted by magpie
    Pah! that's not old... the blue box, pre AD&D, now that shiznit be old.

I think you will find he is referring to the original Red Box set, which pre-dated the Blue box set, which in turn pre-dated the AD&D stuff. Anyone else remember the Red Boxs included adventure with the small castle and the magic mouth in it? What was that puzzle again, some basic letters substitution thing I think it was....

I really shouldn't admit to remembering stuff like this.

Ah I remember: complete the sequence:

O T T F F S S ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Yep, I remember the red box. A friend of mine had the white box. ah the good old days of playing a dwarven fighter from 1st level and eventually retiring him after the immortals boxed set (we moved on to AD&D at that stage :) ).

Used to play T&T , now there's old :) (oh, and laserburn).

Thinking of reviving a group in the Celbridge / Maynooth area. Not sure how often it will run (more than likely once a month). All the current players are about 26 - 28 and have been together for a good few years (tends to make it hard for new players to break in unfortunately). Thinking of running either Arcana Unearthed (monte's variant rules) or maybe a variant on Cthulhu D20 / D20 Modern. (have some ideas for a traveller-esque tie in as well :) ).

Any interest? (games would run on a sunday, as we heathens usually have nothing else to do on that day and TV sucks :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Salubri

Originally posted by Mouserat
    I think you will find he is referring to the original Red Box set, which pre-dated the Blue box set, which in turn pre-dated the AD&D stuff. Anyone else remember the Red Boxs included adventure with the small castle and the magic mouth in it?
    Yeah - our group used to have all the old D&D sets - but they fell by the wayside. Luckily I managed to buy the red AND blue sets (in the boxes) in mint condition and with nothing missing (of course) from my friendly local secondhand bookstore - *wow* I nearly died when the bloke (Todd) asked me if I'd be interested in them!
    *sigh* for nostalgia....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Originally posted by LoLth
    Thinking of reviving a group in the Celbridge / Maynooth area. All the current players are about 26 - 28 and have been together for a good few years (tends to make it hard for new players to break in unfortunately). Thinking of running either Arcana Unearthed (monte's variant rules) or maybe a variant on Cthulhu D20 / D20 Modern. (have some ideas for a traveller-esque tie in as well :) ).

We are somewhat stuck in our ways by this stage.New blood would be very good.We currently have 5 possible players,assuming 1 absent each session to remain viable as a 4 player group.

Lloth is a tough DM,definitely very fair but tough.The last campaign we had a player who often cheated on info or rolls.Lloth spotted this and compensated for it very well,to prevent agro we allowed him to try to cheat.

I really enjoy his games,there is always a background campaign going on which gives an evtra dimension.I can remember one campaign(one of our 3 attempts at Temple) where I had 3 Gods after a soul which was being stored inside me (a dwarf fighter). This same campaign had the group playing together but watching each other too with me as No.1 on the dangerous list (the No.2 was a latent werewolf!). Lloth punishes blatant palyer kills however,to PK you MUST have a VERY good reason. In 8 years I think we have had 2-3 inter-party kills.

All are welcome to let Lloth know you are interested.Whether you like it or not it will be an experience. (Not sure about the traveller plan of his thou!!!!!!!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Right lads,

Don't know if this is the right place for this but, I was thinking of picking up all my old Battletech and Car Wars stuff next time I'm home. Prob in the next month or so.

So anybody out there, or group I can worm my way into, who fancies a bit of stompy robot smashin or car crashin action. Havn't played in a good while now but Im sure it'll all come back to me when I get into my stride. Im in Rathmines though I don't mind travellin about a bit.

Anybody got any suggesttions?

Cheers

Chris

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Fir Bolg

Hey People,
    I'm very interested in joining with a Gaming Group. I have only been roleplaying for a year now, and only on PbP site's and forum's like this one. I can not find a tabletop game anywhere, so if anyone is looking for some new blood in their gaming group please give me a shout!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

old Battletech and Car Wars

Only if you have 'Truck Stop'!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Probably a slim chance, but does anyone know of any Roleplaying groups in the New Ross area? I need my DnD fix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cormac Doyle

Hey all ...

I'm running a game - once a fortnight on a Monday Evening - and am looking for new players.

Game is located in Clonsilla.

For an idea of what the game is like - go to http://www.aecyr-grene.org for campaign logs, setting information, character write-ups, contact details etc ...

Cormac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

Any chance of gaming in or around Thurles? I can't imagine there is, but dear god I need to play something between cons!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Blackrock/Monkstown/Dun Laoghaire? SE-County Dublin in general? Anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Indie Kidd

Hi my name is Jaime and I have just moved to Dublin from the uk... i am based in Temple Bar and am looking to hook with an exisistig RPG group or anyone who is looking to be part of a new group. I have experience of playing, White Wolf, AD&D, Shadowrun, Rune Quest, Call of Cthalu, Star Trek but will pretty much play anuthing.

Anyway you can shout me on henry_fool@hotmail.com

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Khanis

Looking for a few RPGers in Cork City. DnD, CoC, Shadowrun etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

The Dundalk chapter for Vampire Requiem is looking for new members at the moment. Games are usually held on a Saturday evening in the middle of the month, so travelling players are also always welcome. Of course its a LARP rather than tabletop, which can be a lot more difficult. Experience required.

Of course, there's also some tabletop gaming in Dundalk, usually AD&D, Legend of the Five Rings, Fading Suns, and Cthulu. If anyone is interested in joining a well-established group, feel free to drop me a line.

On the subject of tough DMs, I remember a game of Aberrant long ago where the players were sued by their neighbours for the destruction of their property during an attack, were hamstrung by some bad guys, and then ended up wheelchair-bound and working in McDonalds to pay off their legal debts! That was certainly an interesting twist on the superhero theme...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Baggio...

Howdy,

Anyone interested around the Naas/Newbridge/Kildare area?

Giz a PM. Cheers....:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 damokelly

Any gamers lost in Donegal? Moving to Letterkenny in the next couple of months and losing hope of ever gaming again at this stage...PM if miracle occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭phonchoman

Drogheda Games Club Warhammer <DrogsClub>

http://hive.tland.co.uk/

check us out , 2 big clubs in one ,based in drogheda. (12-16 ,16+)(ages that is)
    we are just looking to get more connection to the counties gamers...
    we mostly play 40k ,WHFB ,Epic, Gothic and warmachine but more games are on the rise. join our forums and get posting

and yes we have lots of old heads!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.d15gamers.com/
    Foróige D15 Gamers is a Voluntary youth group.

We aim to provide a safe environment in which young people can take part in the gaming hobby of their choice.

D15Gamers club is currently running on a thursday night 7:30 - 9:30 at the Mountview NYP on the Shelerin road.

Age range 12 to 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sam_hain

Hey there,

Me and my girlfriend are looking for people to play RPG games and or Game of thrones (both the card and the boardgame). We are noobs to this all but would still love if we could sit in and watch and/or join others until we got the full hang of it.

Sam_Hain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭KamikazeBananze

http://societies.csc.tcd.ie/~gamers
    TCD Gamers is the Trinity College Boardgames Society (Yes, I know. We can't decide on a new name).

We have a room in Goldsmith Hall, the big ugly grey building at the intersection with Westland Row and Pearse Street. Just follow The Eye to find the room (I'm not kidding). If that fails... *sigh* follow the JazzSoc signs, many of which are our signs with JazzSoc written on them. Bastards.

We play... well, anything. Boardgames, CCGs, RPGs of many types and wargaming. We also play video games. When we can get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lukenary

Anyone in the D2 area have any games going? I cut my teeth on AD&D 2e, have played the computer versions of 3e but am not really experienced with it. I've also played some old school Shadowrun as well. Open to just about anything. Weeknight sessions are ideal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Don't think it has a Club name.
    But Tuesday nights has a meeting of Card gamers and RPGers at the Mercantile on Dame Street Dublin. Folks get there around 6.30sih.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

Originally Posted by phonchoman
    Drogheda Games Club Warhammer <DrogsClub>

http://www.droghedahive.com/

check us out , 2 big clubs in one ,based in drogheda. (12-16 ,16+)(ages that is)
    we are just looking to get more connection to the counties gamers...
    we mostly play 40k ,WHFB ,Epic, Gothic and warmachine but more games are on the rise. join our forums and get posting

bellends. avoid like plague

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Spyral wrote:
    bellends. avoid like plague
    Now you just know I'm going to call you on this. Explain to us why we should avoid this club and also how they might go about rectifying whatever issues you feel it might have.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement