Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post images of beauty (quote pics sparingly) - see Mod warnings in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

bought the framedirect from china..excellent quality too, its a flyer,

Go on post up a link for where you got that from!

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Now you got me thinking. I'm in the market for a tourer and I thought Thorns looked pretty bad on their website, but that looks really nice.

Whats the story with the shifters? Looks like TT bike shifters. Why are they so low?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 shaneogor

img5258resize.th.jpg

img5273resize.th.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Now you got me thinking. I'm in the market for a tourer and I thought Thorns looked pretty bad on their website, but that looks really nice.

I think it's pretty as hell although it's some shock coming from a road bike to this.
    Whats the story with the shifters? Looks like TT bike shifters. Why are they so low?

STI handle shifters are delicate things. Those bar end shifters are much more rugged and placing them on the bar ends is a good all rounder. Also allows (I think) the use of v brakes.

I was a bit worried about banging my knees into them but it doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

it's some shock coming from a road bike to this.

I can imagine. It looks like it'd be hard work cycling that bike tbh. Are you planning on cycling along some rough trails?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Babalons

bought the framedirect from china..excellent quality too, its a flyer,

Excellent, please post a link to where you bought that frame... pretty please! :)

I can imagine. It looks like it'd be hard work cycling that bike tbh. Are you planning on cycling along some rough trails?

It's a bit of a donkey to say the least. The tire pressure was way down when it was delivered so I'm hoping it'll have a slight bit more pep come the morning now I've pumped it up.

I'm somewhat deliriously (and with quite a large helping of optimism) heading to Africa shortly which is why it's needed :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

My new travel companion. 3 waterbottles!!! :P

Love that bike, considering something similar in the future, already have the gear shifters like that on my old road bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

The best looking ones IMO are the Surly Long Haul Trucker, the Salsa Vaya, the Kona Sutra, and the best of all is the one I'm going for (but I'm keeping that quiet till I have it and have it built up :)

The Thorns, Koga's etc are lovely and all, but only really if you were going for very rugged touring (Africa etc) -if you want a utility/light touring bike, the ones above would work a little better to me.

@Canis Lupus -this is by no means an attack on your choice -I came very close to getting one myself (though I can only dream of Africa at this point), and it's a mighty fine bike! Are they dura-ace shifters on it?

@Canis Lupus -this is by no means an attack on your choice -I came very close to getting one myself (though I can only dream of Africa at this point), and it's a mighty fine bike! Are they dura-ace shifters on it?

Not at all and I agree with you. If I'd only planned on pottering around Europe the Sherpa would have been overkill or at least full expedition spec anyway.

I'm faaaairly sure they're dura ace (I didn't pick them, they come as part of the spec) and I can't find the parts break down anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

and the best of all is the one I'm going for (but I'm keeping that quiet till I have it and have it built up :)
    Is it a Condor or a Hewitt?
    The Thorns, Koga's etc are lovely and all, but only really if you were going for very rugged touring (Africa etc) -if you want a utility/light touring bike, the ones above would work a little better to me.
    I quite like the idea of having a beast of a bike that would go anywhere. Even if I don't go anywhere.

Is it a Condor or a Hewitt?.

Neither, but that's as far as I'm saying :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

My new travel companion. 3 waterbottles!!! :P

Lovely bike. A club mate of mine has the same one and I've always admired it. He took it to Africa as well.

One question. He's got an uncut steerer as well. Is this a deliberate part of the setup?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,029 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

el tonto wrote: »
    One question. He's got an uncut steerer as well. Is this a deliberate part of the setup?

Could add a Thorn accessory bar for a "lighting rig" or whatever. I have a spare one, incidentally. I couldn't bear to keep my steerers long enough to use it.

I think your mate has the Raven (you linked me to his blog I think, went to Timbuktu? although he never finished it one page he was in Africa the next he was back home which was a shame as I was really enjoying it :( )

I'm pretty noobish when it comes to bikes so whilst he babbled bike stuff I mostly nodded but my understanding is he left it like that so I could tinker easily should I feel the need.

I'm pretty noobish when it comes to bikes so whilst he babbled bike stuff I mostly nodded but my understanding is he left it like that so I could tinker easily should I feel the need.

That would be what I would think too... leave it a little long to get your riding position comfortable, enable you to add accessory bar if required, as well as change position while away if you pick up an injury. or decide that more upright is what suits better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

My new KTM Ultra Flite for XC/Trails :)

D8B4E9BCE2BA4B99A10FC613FFE83093-0000316135-0002271733-00800L-B23140256B594BDF87FB1F77DC838A39.jpg

Standard so far! Except for the seat post, Had to get a longer one cause I've long legs.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Babalons

Ricky91t wrote: »
    My new KTM Ultra Flite for XC/Trails :)

D8B4E9BCE2BA4B99A10FC613FFE83093-0000316135-0002271733-00800L-B23140256B594BDF87FB1F77DC838A39.jpg

Standard so far! Except for the seat post, Had to get a longer one cause I've long legs.

Very nicely propped up by a cup o 'Tay' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

The new road bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

@bryangiggsy-Nice bike but it looks like you have a tight link in the chain just below the chain stay behind the drive side pedal

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Babalons wrote: »
    Very nicely propped up by a cup o 'Tay' :D

Tried everything cycle wise that I had, helmets, oil, bottle and the cup was the only thing that did it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

155733.jpg

155734.jpg

155735.jpg

155736.jpg

155737.jpg

155738.jpg