Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB in Ireland: RTE multiplex closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭marclt

Elmo wrote: »
    This brings us right back to the argument that RTÉ don't have the support of the independent broadcasters. UTV and Communicorp should be involved and supportive.

They should be involved but RTE is the one currently investing in additional services. Before I get shot down for suggesting that the extra services are all automated, sadly that is they way radio is going. It is a commercial reality.

DAB radio is no different to Digital TV - its just about more content and the ability to have more choice. Nobody mentioned quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

marclt wrote: »
    They should be involved but RTE is the one currently investing in additional services. Before I get shot down for suggesting that the extra services are all automated, sadly that is they way radio is going. It is a commercial reality.

DAB radio is no different to Digital TV - its just about more content and the ability to have more choice. Nobody mentioned quality!

They are spendin 300,000 a year on test services, that as pointed out are only available in some Cities and online.

Quality = Choice. The choice you speak of is a con, more content does not = more choice. IMO.

They are spendin 300,000 a year on test services, that as pointed out are only available in some Cities and online.

Quality = Choice. The choice you speak of is a con, more content does not = more choice. IMO.

(I'll try not to go off topic here)

You've got to look at the media industry as a whole though, haven't you. There are only a limited number of content providers. The international news you're hearing on your local radio station is being provided to them from Sky (INN take copy from IRN who take copy from Sky).

How that is packaged up is where the choice comes in. In the south east you have the local stations who generally take stuff from INN verbatim, on Beat it is rewritten (sometimes) for a younger audience. Same story, different take, there is your choice (or plurality).

What hasn't happened in Ireland much is diversification... so on the radio in any county outside of Dublin you just hear all the local stations doing roughly the same thing. 20% news/speech restriction forces stations to devote lots of time to talk programmes - some of which work others don't. What is being offered already might not be quality but if you're lucky to live in an area with more than one local station then at least you have a choice. With the BCI's late departure into regional stations choice is increasing.

So I turn on my DAB radio - I get a selection of BBC radio stations, Absolute, Amazing, JazzFM, Kiss101, Real, PlanetRock, FunKidsUK, talkSPORT the list goes on. BBC 5 live has sports opt outs which aren't going to happen on anywhere else. So for me at least I can see that more content naturally gives me more choice. Scrolling text gives me station song details, news updates - I can't get any of that on FM.

The difficulty for independent broadcasters will be the whole multiplexing idea. Some have it easy right now. One station, one county... maximum revenue. What happens when dab comes on... one mast covers 5 counties... 4 more potential stations for the listeners to find and tune into... you can see why they aren't queueing up to take part, can't you!

So perhaps the way forward is for RTE to run a SFN nationally, and then local operators use smaller masts to cover their local market.

So I turn on my DAB radio - I get a selection of BBC radio stations, Absolute, Amazing, JazzFM, Kiss101, Real, PlanetRock, FunKidsUK, talkSPORT the list goes on. BBC 5 live has sports opt outs which aren't going to happen on anywhere else. So for me at least I can see that more content naturally gives me more choice. Scrolling text gives me station song details, news updates - I can't get any of that on FM.

How are you getting the UK stations? I amn't suggesting that we put any of the UK services DAB, thats what cable and sat is for :)

As you point out Quantity does not equal Choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

What hasn't happened in Ireland much is diversification... so on the radio in any county outside of Dublin you just hear all the local stations doing roughly the same thing. 20% news/speech restriction forces stations to devote lots of time to talk programmes - some of which work others don't. What is being offered already might not be quality but if you're lucky to live in an area with more than one local station then at least you have a choice. With the BCI's late departure into regional stations choice is increasing.
    A lot of the more commercial local pop stations are terrible IMO as they have such a small playlist of songs. I remember working in Dell in Limerick where they had Limerick Live 95 FM on the PA system and it was the exact same shít every week - it would drive you insane. Which is why I always had my headphones on :)
    Scrolling text gives me station song details, news updates - I can't get any of that on FM.
    Song or programme details could be implemented in RDS using the Radio Text function, however this is not widely supported by receivers (I've only seen it on a fancy Teac hi-fi) and it is limited to 64 characters. The radio stations can barely get their RDS time right, never mind anything else :rolleyes:
    mjsmyth wrote:
    Most people I see when traveling either use an mp3 type player or mobile phone for their audio on the move. How much will DAB add to the cost of their mobile phone or mp3 player?
    The only MP3 player I can think of that has optional DAB is the Cowon D2+, and DAB adds about €30-35 to the price. You can get a 8GB D2+ with an FM tuner for the same price as the 4GB with DAB.
    Where do you all listen to the radio most? On the move using your phone? In the car going too and from work? In the office in the background? At home whilst washing up? Will DAB really improve the experience?
    I mostly listen in the car. DAB will not improve reception while travelling, it will not improve sound quality, improved text information isn't much use while driving, the cost of getting a DAB car radio is prohibitive and selection of radios with DAB is also prohibitive.

If it allows stations like Phantom to go (quasi-)national that would be nice, but that's about it for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

Song or programme details could be implemented in RDS using the Radio Text function, however this is not widely supported by receivers (I've only seen it on a fancy Teac hi-fi) and it is limited to 64 characters. The radio stations can barely get their RDS time right, never mind anything else :rolleyes:

I have it on my Pioneer receiver :)

not that i listen to FM radio in the living room much mostly Sat channels.

I have a philips and it allows RDS text. You can broadcast more than 64 characters - I've programmed RDS units on stations to run with more than 64 characters and automated programme type information - depends on the station and software. RDS text has been banned on most car radio and the use of scrolling station names banned in the EU. South East Radio is the only station I know of who used to use this before reverting to "STH EAST".
    I mostly listen in the car. DAB will not improve reception while travelling, it will not improve sound quality, improved text information isn't much use while driving, the cost of getting a DAB car radio is prohibitive and selection of radios with DAB is also prohibitive. .

No I agree reception isn't that much better and sound quality on some channels is not great either. But if you're comparing Radio 5 live on MW or on DAB - DAB is going to win for me. The same with Talksport or Absolute radio. In car can be expensive, the pure highway is falling in price and alternatives are launching before Christmas.

The flexibility of live pause and rewind is quite useful too. I'm not championing DAB by the way, I'm just giving my impressions of using it on an on-going basis. :)
    If it allows stations like Phantom to go (quasi-)national that would be nice, but that's about it for me.

This is one of the benefits of digital radio... more stations (greater quantity) = more choice. It is what I've been saying all along...

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

R4, R5Live etc won't ever be on Irish DAB.

What will be interesting and a good alternative to VHF-FM Band II in a Car is DRM on LW, MW and SW. That will give near DAB quality in Mono AND let you get Stations from outside Ireland.

In Limerick I can pick up many out of State LW, MW & SW even during daylight on AM. Some are good enough quality reception in car and bedroom for regular use.

There is never going to be much more choice of content on Irish DAB (if it ever goes Nationwide) than on FM. I can get 95FM Limerick from Portliose

watty wrote: »
    What will be interesting and a good alternative to VHF-FM Band II in a Car is DRM on LW, MW and SW. That will give near DAB quality in Mono AND let you get Stations from outside Ireland.

yes, but i'm not sure if that will be viable either.

Not sure if you've read the report on the BBC test in Devon on this the report available here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/devon/content/articles/2009/05/11/digital_medium_wave_report_feature.shtml was released a couple of months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

DRM on MW/LW needs Europe/North African wide Co-ordination. As did AM. The old allocations will have to be re-visited.

Early days yet for DRM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

watty wrote: »
    DRM on MW/LW needs Europe/North African wide Co-ordination. As did AM. The old allocations will have to be re-visited.

Early days yet for DRM.

Technical and regulatory planning began in Jun 2007 within ECO WGFM-45 for the introduction of DRM in the LF/MF broadcasting bands in ITU Regions 1 and 3. (see attached Draft Report from 2007)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,502 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Today the BCI released a Research Report on Digital Radio in Ireland entitled “Digital Radio for Ireland: Competing Options, Public Expectation” (attached)
    BCI WELCOMES RESEARCH ON DIGITAL RADIO IN IRELAND

A research report on digital radio for Ireland has found that there is a need for a coherent, inclusive and coordinated approach to the development of digital radio in Ireland. Entitled “Digital Radio for Ireland: Competing Options, Public Expectation”, thereport was launched today (September 25th) in the offices of Broadcasting Commission of Ireland (BCI). The research was undertaken by Athena Media and the Dublin Institute of Technology and was funded through the BCI’s Media Research Bursary Scheme.

The report found that innovation in terms of radio content will be a key issue in ensuring the success of digital radio in the long term. In focus group interviews with radio listeners it emerged that content and content diversity were top priorities in envisaging the future of radio.

From a broadcasting sector perspective, participants felt that incentives to enter the digital radio market need to be married with a requirement for broadcasters to innovate. With regard to technology, those surveyed broadly supported the adoption of DAB+ as the most appropriate technology for the delivery of digital radio. However, concern was expressed as to how the adoption of such a technology could take account of local and community radio. There was an overwhelming acknowledgement in the research of the significance of the internet and online delivery as an essential component of digital radio.

The report makes a series of recommendations including the establishment of a digital radio forum and the development of a policy white paper which would be the basis for consultation with the broadcasting sector and consumers. The recommendations also highlight the importance of policy co-ordination, sectoral awareness building and research.

In introducing the research report today, Conor Maguire Chairperson of the BCI said: “Radio has consistently displayed an undoubted strength in Ireland as measured through JNLR research, in addition to the diversity of public, commercial and community radio services. While Ireland is a relatively late adopter in terms of digital

radio, there is a benefit in learning from experiences elsewhere. I welcome today’s report, not alone does it provide an excellent contribution to the debate on digital radio, but it also underscores the importance of research in informing approaches to regulation.”

Commenting on the report recommendations, Michael O’Keeffe, Chief Executive of the BCI said “We are entering a new era in broadcasting with the imminent establishment of the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland (BAI) and the framework that new broadcasting legislation provides for the development of digital radio. I have no doubt that this research report will play a key part in assisting and informing the policy development process”.

“Digital Radio for Ireland: Competing Options, Public Expectations” involved a survey of industry stakeholders, strategic interviews with a representative group of senior executives in the radio industry, an audit of on-line digital radio and focus groups with radio users. The aim of the project was to contribute to the debate on digital radio with research on the sector’s preparedness for digital radio. Both professional and potential users of digital radio were surveyed. The environment within which public expectations for new audio media services are formed was also assessed.

The research was funded through the provisions of the BCI’s Media Research Funding Scheme. The purpose of the Scheme is to provide current and relevant research in areas of strategic interest to the Commission as well as the broadcasting sector. The Scheme, which is in operation since 2007, has funded five research projects to date, to a total value of €95,560.

A copy of the research findings can be obtained on-line at www.bci.ie.

Source: BCI Press Release

Irish Times website article on the Report
    Digital radio growth slow - BCI
    Fri, Sep 25, 2009

Commercial broadcasters will not invest in a switch to digital radio in the short term according to a new research report funded by the Broadcasting Commission of Ireland.

RTE currently offers a digital radio service in most of Leinster, Cork and Limerick, based on the digital audio broadcasting (DAB) standard.

Commercial stations including Today FM, Newstalk and Radio Kerry took part in an RTE organised trial which ran from 2007-08, but ceased broadcasting in DAB when it ended.

Interviews with radio executives also found that the commercial sector favours investment in DAB+, a more advanced technology than DAB. They are also calling for better incentives for them to invest in the infrastructure than the 6 year licence extension including in the current Broadcasting Act.

Focus groups with consumers found that one third of them were aware of or owned a DAB radio receiver. While listeners appreciate the quality of digital services they are disappointed with the range available.

While 86 per cent of the 3.04 million people in Ireland aged 15 or over listen to radio, current listenership on devices other than traditional fixed or car radios is extremely low. The researchers estimated about 15,000 listen on their mobile phone, 8,000 on a digital music player, 7,000 on the internet and just 4,000 on “any other digital format” which includes RTE’s DAB format.

The development of sector is suffering due to the lack of an industry-wide plan and problems with investment in the current climate, the report said.

It also found that commercial radio operators felt DAB+, an upgraded version of the Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) format, would be a better choice for digital radio services in Ireland.

The report authors – former RTE Radio managing director Helen Shaw and Brian O’Neill, head of DIT’s school of media – are recommending the establishment of a digital radio forum to coordinate activities in the area. They also call for the development of a policy white paper in 2010, commissioning of research into the technological, economic and social impact of moving to digital radio and close policy cooperation between BCI and ComReg, which regulates the use of radio spectrum.

However, the report also revealed that FM radio will not be disappearing in near future. More than 70 per cent of those who took part in the research said they believed FM would still be popular in 2020, although there would be some digital radio services around.

The survey found 68 per cent of respondents believed analogue services would decline, particularly among younger listeners, but only 36 per cent thought DAB would be the dominant platform in 2020.

"While Ireland is a relatively late adopter in terms of digital radio, there is a benefit in learning from experiences elsewhere," said BCI chairman Conor Maguire.

The report, which was funded under the BCI’s Media Research Bursary Scheme, found that innovation in radio content will be a key issue in ensuring the long-term success of digital radio.

It surveyed industry stakeholders, conduted strategic interviews with a representative group of senior executives in the radio industry, and consulted focus groups of radio users.

© 2009 irishtimes.com

Article from today's Irish Times print edition before publication of the Report
    Questions remain on future of DAB radio
    Fri, Sep 25, 2009

Today sees the publication of a report into the future of digital radio, but does it have a future at all with the twin forces of recession and the internet biting at its heels, asks JASON WALSH

AS THE movie and music industries know all too well, the primary platform for content distribution these days is digital. The internet, digital TV and mobile phones dominate our lives, but should we spare a thought for the poor old wireless?

Perhaps not. Radio has its own digital potential. The only question is whether the broadcasters – and listeners – will buy into it.

The apparent promise of digital radio mirrors that of the internet: more choice and higher quality audio, but three competing standards and questions over audio fidelity have muddied the already murky waters of standardisation.

The system currently used in Ireland is digital audio broadcasting (DAB). Pioneered by the BBC, which has been running five national digital stations since 2002, DAB is a “multiplexed” system that compresses multiple audio streams into a single frequency, much in the same way that digital terrestrial television (DTT) allows several stations to share the same location on the radio spectrum.

In effect, each frequency will contain a number of stations, and instead of tuning, listeners can select stations by name using a programme guide on the radio’s display. This allows for an exponential increase in the number of stations, but it comes at a cost in terms of audio fidelity.Each multiplex has a limited bandwidth available which must be shared. As a result, most DAB stations stream at 128 kilobits per second (kbps).

While the use of modern audio formats such as AAC (as used by Apple’s iTunes) allows for quality sound at this bit rate, DAB is lumbered with the less efficient MP2 standard. A 2003 research paper published by the BBC suggested that bit rates lower than 224kbps should not be used with MP2.

Using such a high bit rate, however, would dramatically reduce the number of stations capable of sharing a multiplex.

The BBC currently broadcasts its highbrow arts station, Radio Three, at 192kbps as a result of audiophile criticism of the sound quality at 128kbps. Similarly, RTÉ’s classical music service, Lyric FM, broadcasts at 160kbps.

Despite the format problems, RTÉ is pushing ahead with DAB. It is already transmitting all its national services in digital in Dublin, Cork and Limerick using DAB. In addition, it broadcasts six digital-only services including RTÉ Kids, alternative music and dance stations 2XM and Pulse, and a compilation of international talk radio, RTÉ Choice.

JP Coakley, RTÉ’s head of radio operations, says its services are a way of dealing with audience fragmentation in a positive manner, as well as providing an inducement for listeners to go digital. “We recognise that there is a process of widening out our ecosystem,” he says. “As part of that, we look at [things like] kids’ radio and bring in the best of world radio.”

Coakley hopes the report will strongly favour Ireland moving towards digital radio. “I would suggest the time has come for Ireland Inc to engage with digital radio. This needs to be the entire industry.”

He dismisses concerns about poor audio, claiming listener experience is better with digital radio. “In real terms, people perceive DAB to be superior to FM,” he says. “Having said that, we’re conscious of the need to reach DAB+. Our ambition is to work toward [the improved fidelity offered by the upgraded standard] DAB+.”

Independent broadcasters, however, have not shown the same enthusiasm. Willie O’Reilly, the chief executive of Today FM and chairman of the Independent Broadcasters of Ireland (IBI), says that while he supports an eventual switch to digital, the receivers need to be in cars, Hi-Fis, mobile phones and iPods before it would be commercially viable.

“The only people buying radio receivers now are radio anoraks and others primarily interested in the technology.”

He expects the BCI report to be supportive of DAB, but not to signal the start of a radio revolution. “They can’t be negative to new technology. My view is that they’ll say it’s an ‘emerging technology’, and that it’s important that Ireland not be seen to be in the rearguard.”

O’Reilly’s scepticism may prove well-founded. While digital radio is potentially an exciting new technology, it does pose some problems, particularly for commercial broadcasters.

Firstly, there are three competing technologies – DAB and the improved DAB+, with Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM) coming a distant third in terms of public awareness and popularity.

Secondly, the main proposition of digital radio is a vast expansion of programming, but there is clearly a limit to how many stations a small market such as Ireland can support, especially in a recession.

Former DJ Dusty Rhodes is one voice in the commercial sector vocally in favour of going digital. Rhodes, whose Digital Radio Ltd ran several test stations on DAB, including All 80s and the Irish-language Raidió Rí-Rá, says a move to digital is imperative. “It is going to increase the amount of radio available and improve the experience of radio for listeners.”

In particular, Rhodes is enthused by the possibility of multimedia services that push radio beyond a purely aural experience. “At the very least, you’ll see the name of the song that’s currently playing on a music station – the number one complaint is that DJs don’t give out song names.”

After 18 years in development, DAB now faces the possibility of stillbirth due to incompatibility and obsolescence. While Britain has settled on DAB, other European countries have moved to the superior DAB+ standard. DAB+’s use of more efficient AAC compression means higher quality audio can be broadcast at low bit rates.

Coakley says this is not a reason to ignore the existing DAB system. “Right beside us is the world’s biggest market for DAB, and we didn’t want a situation where a radio bought in Newry doesn’t work in Dundalk and vice versa,” he says.

Some standardisation is occurring, however, and future radios will feature a chipset that supports both DAB and DAB+.

Across the EU, the transition to digital radio has been uneven, to say the least. Britain has led the way, primarily through the BBC’s massive commitment to DAB, but other countries have been much less enthusiastic. Only Britain and Denmark have seen significant sales of DAB-capable receivers, meaning talk of higher standards is purely theoretical.

Germany, the first country to test the system, has seen DAB dropped altogether, although DAB+ trials will begin later this year. Other countries have seen the technology receive a lukewarm reception at best.

Speak the language

AS WITH most new technologies, digital radio brings with it a potentially confusing alphabet soup of incompatible standards.

DAB

Digital Audio Broadcasting (DAB) is a digital transmission system that is currently used in Ireland and Britain. Audio is compressed using the MP2 codec at a bit rate typically between 128 and 192kbps.

DAB+

This is an upgrade to the DAB standard which replaces the MP2 codec with AAC+. This allows for higher quality sound at lower bit rates. DAB+ radios can pick up DAB transmissions, but those DAB radios that are not software-upgradable are orphaned if broadcasts move to the newer standard.

DRM

A third standard, Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM), is also competing for the digital crown. Largely supported by public service broadcasters, DRM has the potential to deliver near-FM quality stereo, as well as multimedia services, on the AM bands.

Radio Luxembourg tested a commercial DRM service, and its owner RTL would likely relaunch the service if DRM became popular. DRM’s key advantages are the ability to cover vast areas and to bring life back to the increasingly empty AM bands.

DMB

Digital Media Broadcasting (DMB) is an auxiliary standard that sits alongside DAB, allowing for the transmission of graphics and text alongside audio. Currently on trial in France and Norway, it is likely to be included in most future DAB+ radio sets.

A third standard, Digital Radio Mondiale (DRM), is also competing for the digital crown. Largely supported by public service broadcasters, DRM has the potential to deliver near-FM quality stereo, as well as multimedia services, on the AM bands.

Radio Luxembourg tested a commercial DRM service, and its owner RTL would likely relaunch the service if DRM became popular. DRM’s key advantages are the ability to cover vast areas and to bring life back to the increasingly empty AM bands.

© 2009 The Irish Times

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

I will soon need to replace my analogue portable 3 band radios as they are beginning to fall apart. Analogue replacements are quite difficult to find. I like to listen to Irish stations at present but also like to hear BBC 5 Live, Talksport, LBC, BBC Radio 2 and Radio 4. Although I have read through the posts I am still unclear about what I can get on DAB radios. Can anyone help me with following questions:
    a) If I buy a DAB radio in UK will I be able to get the UK stations in Ireland?
    b) If I buy a DAB radio in UK will I be able to get Irish stations?
    c) If I buy a DAB radio in Ireland will I be able to get any UK stations and what Irish stations will I be able to get?
    d) Is there any other solution to being able to get UK stations when analogue radios no longer available?

Hope my questions make sense and many thanks for any help.

flipsat wrote: »
    a) If I buy a DAB radio in UK will I be able to get the UK stations in Ireland?
    b) If I buy a DAB radio in UK will I be able to get Irish stations?
    c) If I buy a DAB radio in Ireland will I be able to get any UK stations and what Irish stations will I be able to get?
    d) Is there any other solution to being able to get UK stations when analogue radios no longer available?

a) No, unless you get spillover but someone else can advice you on that.
    b) Yes in Ireland not in UK
    C) Just the RTE Stations at present
    d) On Satellite and Cable, if you have UPC you get most BBC stations on their digital service. RTE Radio is available on both also.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭flipsat

Elmo, Many thanks for reply and information. I think I might try going down the internet radio route, it sounds like I might be able to get all the stations I want from around the world.

flipsat wrote: »
    Elmo, Many thanks for reply and information. I think I might try going down the internet radio route, it sounds like I might be able to get all the stations I want from around the world.

Internet radio is good but if you listen to 5 Live or Talksport for the live football commentary it won't be on the internet stream only on MW or FTA satellite!

zorro2566 wrote: »
    Internet radio is good but if you listen to 5 Live or Talksport for the live football commentary it won't be on the internet stream only on MW or FTA satellite!

http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=whatson.Genre&genre_id=10&PHPSESSID=bpf0pq1pvqu8i43fa191nm1tu3

Is Talksport on Freesat?
    What are satellite DAB radios like? are there any?

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭craoltoir

There is a satellite radio service called Worldspace. Currently listeners in Europe can pick up the signal aimed at North Africa. A specific European Service is planned in 2010, I think. However this is basically a subscription service with some channels being available FTA (BBC World, RFI, NPR and some others).

See www.worldspace.com

This is not DAB, which is available from local transmitters only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

What are satellite DAB radios like? are there any?

Satellite radio is DVB-S, not DAB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭gubby

I have got my son for secret santa this year and he has expressed an intrest on those roberts internet radio advertised on the radio. Now, I know zilch about this sort of thing.. neither does my son. I think he just wants to listen to foreign stations. btw he is 23 so not a child.
    I would appreciate any advice as they seem to be a vast range and price when I googled.
    thanks a million

gubby wrote: »
    I have got my son for secret santa this year and he has expressed an intrest on those roberts internet radio advertised on the radio. Now, I know zilch about this sort of thing.. neither does my son. I think he just wants to listen to foreign stations. btw he is 23 so not a child.
    I would appreciate any advice as they seem to be a vast range and price when I googled.
    thanks a million

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roberts-Stream202-WM202BK-Internet-Radio/dp/B001GCRVEE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1259255337&sr=8-1

Kind of depends on what he is looking for is he interested in a big stereo system? and how much you want to spend?

Anyone know of any good systems?

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭More Music

Revo make some nice stuff.

http://www.revo.co.uk/

To be honest though I would only use any internet radio thought my existing amp and speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭radiofoot

I recently bought the Pure Evoke Flow, which is a combination internet/DAB and FM radio. Everything works well except for the Podcast/BBC listen again feature, which allows you to listen to a podcast or program for a few minutes and then cuts out completely - very frustrating.

Pure customer support is terrible - they have had multiple reports of this issue for over a year and are ignoring it. As this is the most important feature of the radio in my view, I would suggest staying away from it and go for a radio that uses Reciva instead.

If your son likes radio see if you can find a radio that offers DAB, FM, Internet radio, is portable (i.e. has a rechargeable battery) and is based on Reciva.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My experiences of Pure customer support have been anything but dreadful, but that was over accessories for a DAB radio rather than an internet one; different departments probably.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭White Horse

gubby wrote: »
    thanks a million

I have a Roberts 201 and couldn't recommended it enough.

http://www.robertsradio.co.uk/Products/Internet_radios/STREAM_201/index.htm

Pat kenny on his radio show this morning was giving away a dab radio as a quiz prize to celebrate the extension of RTÉ's dab service to 9 counties.
    Most of those mentioned were in the midlands including kildare [which already has service anyway...]

What tx are they turning on? hardly kippure? [he didn't mention wicklow in his list]
    Theres no mention of it on the RTE dab site or here that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I've just purchased my first DAB capable radio (awaiting delivery)

from my understanding after the trial all that is left is RTE's offering, is this true?

is there a list anywhere of available DAB stations one can get in Dublin?

ntlbell wrote: »
    I've just purchased my first DAB capable radio (awaiting delivery)

from my understanding after the trial all that is left is RTE's offering, is this true?

is there a list anywhere of available DAB stations one can get in Dublin?

RTÉ Radio 1
    RTÉ 2FM
    RTÉ RnaG
    RTÉ Lyric FM

RTÉ Junior/Chill
    RTÉ 2XM
    RTÉ Choice
    RTÉ Radio 1 Xtra
    RTÉ Pluse
    RTÉ Gold

No independent stations want to be involved until such time as it is more available and they can make money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mickeyboymel

Pat kenny on his radio show this morning was giving away a dab radio as a quiz prize to celebrate the extension of RTÉ's dab service to 9 counties.
    Most of those mentioned were in the midlands including kildare [which already has service anyway...]

What tx are they turning on? hardly kippure? [he didn't mention wicklow in his list]
    Theres no mention of it on the RTE dab site or here that I can see.

Yes Its Kippure said to be on air before Christmas, seen it on radiowaves:
    RTÉ EXPANDS DIGITAL RADIO NETWORK FOR XMAS

RTÉ Radio is expanding its digital radio network. This will make its four nationwide FM services and an additional seven digital-exclusive radio services available to over half of the population in nine counties via the digital platform.

By Christmas, listeners in counties Kildare, Laois, Louth, Meath, Offaly and Westmeath will be able to enjoy DAB digital radio. The announcement comes as RTÉ celebrates the first anniversary of its launch of digital radio on December 1st 2008.

By re-using equipment used in previous digital trials, RTÉ has been able to deliver this expansion without incurring any capital costs.

RTÉ Radio Director of Operations JP Coakley says: "I’m delighted that digital radio is now available to over half the population, meaning more people can experience the benefits of digital radio. With this latest expansion of the network, RTÉ Radio is contributing to the development of Ireland’s digital infrastructure and bringing a new free-to-air method of radio listening to audiences in a very cost-efficient manner."

DAB digital radio has been available to listeners in the greater Dublin area, Cork and Limerick city since last year’s launch, which followed a twenty-month period of extensive trials. This latest expansion is the second phase in RTÉ Radio’s digital radio network rollout with 52% of the population now able to access the service.

RTÉ intends to roll out digital radio to 56% of the population over the coming two years. However any further roll out will require a regulatory framework that will allow commercial broadcasters to move to digital radio. This is to ensure that the whole industry moves together for the benefit of the listener. The BCI commissioned a report on digital radio in Ireland and published the findings in September this year. The report makes a series of recommendations including the establishment of a digital radio forum and the development of a policy white paper.

Link To RTE Information: http://www.rte.ie/digitalradio/faq_availability.html
    New Coverage Map:http://www.rte.ie/digitalradio/dab_coverage_dec09.pdf

Advertisement