Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DAB in Ireland: RTE multiplex closed

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭John mac

John Mac, this coverage map is still current. Achtung: not dial-up friendly

Thought as much. Didn't think it would have happened overnight:D

pitty today fm are not on satellite (their internet offering is dire)

fm reception where i am isn't the best.and i am not putting up a big aerial.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

watty wrote: »
    Reception is poor, coverage worse and battery life horrid compared to FM-VHF portable.

Unfortunately, RTE don't put football on FM....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

MYOB wrote: »
    Unfortunately, RTE don't put football on FM....

There is an old LW pocket radio too for when you are at away games in Athlone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Bog Butter

HMV should have them. Reception isn't the best but I've sucessfully used one for RTE 1 Extra reception while at a football match (for the commentary).
    Reception is poor, coverage worse and battery life horrid compared to FM-VHF portable.

I see, so maybe i won't get one (portable DAB radio) afterall. I was going to get one on the assumption that the reception would be better that FM-VHF. I wonder will they get better? Is it a technology issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 23 waiguoren

The DAB personal radio with the strongest ability at picking up a steady signal is the Virgin Lobster phone (now obsolete) in my experience. You can a get a pretty good DAB reception in many UK cities and on the train between Holyhead and Chester, it is a better option than FM or AM and is listenable most of the way except for the tunnels and around Holyhead. If you are in a good coverage area in the UK then you can receive good reception indoors. In Dublin reception is OK outside, but a bit hit and miss inside. To improve reception, I think they need to have some fill in transmitters, as the UK have done. Alternatively moving to DAB+, would make the signal more stable for portable reception.

As for other personal DAB radios, then the Pure PocketDAB 1500 has reasonable reviews (and the batteries are said to last a while) but I don't know how it compares with the Lobster. If you mean a portable radio (i.e. small battery powered) but with speaker, then both Roberts and Pure have 'eco' ranges which means the batteries last longer. The Pure Move has good reviews. The first generation DAB models used a lot of battery power, but if you could pick up the Freeplay Devo cheap, then it would be worth considering as the batteries will last a long time on AM and FM.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Where you get interference on FM, you get destroyed audio on DAB. It is more resiliant to error than FM - COFDM, error correction - but once you go over the edge, its gone really. Big problem for us here is lack of coverage, once Kippure gets done (if ever), land coverage in Dublin will be far better.

I use an in-car unit and its fine in MOST of the 01 phone area and along the M1 north, never tried it elsewhere. It uses a wee sticky antenna on the windscreen so not much better than a portable.

Looks like Britain are going to get a confirmed analogue switch off date....

Radio likely to switch to digital by 2020
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008/dec/12/digital-radio-radio
    John Plunkett
    guardian.co.uk, Friday 12 December 2008 09.14 GMT
    The body set up by the government to secure the future of digital radio in the UK is expected to predict next week that switchover for the medium could be completed by 2020.

Next week's final report by the Digital Radio Working Group comes at the end of a series of meetings, some of them vigorously debated, between representatives of commercial radio, the BBC, media regulator Ofcom, community radio and manufacturing and consumer groups, according to sources.

The various parties were brought together by the government to map out a timetable for digital radio, which has been beset by uncertainty over the future of one of its key methods of delivery, digital audio broadcasting (DAB).

But despite the setbacks - which saw Channel 4 pull the plug on its DAB ambitions and a host of digital stations shut down, including TheJazz, OneWord and Mojo - the DRWG is expected to say that the migration of most radio content to digital could be completed by 2020.

This would reinforce the conclusions of the group's interim report, published in June, that recommended the establishment of a timetable for the migration of all UK radio from analogue to digital. DRWG said digital switchover should be completed between 2015 and 2020.

However, the report is also expected to recognise that parts of the country will still not be able to receive a DAB signal even by 2020, so will stop short of a blanket analogue switch-off date like the 2012 deadline set for terrestrial television.

One of the key issues still to be resolved is who will pick up the bill for the improvements required to the DAB radio signal, and how to encourage car manufacturers to fit more dashboard digital radios.

Ofcom is also likely to oversee a reorganisation of the way DAB multiplexes are organised on a local, regional and national level.

One option would see the BBC's Asian Network, and possibly some other BBC services, move to commercial DAB multiplex, Digital One.

The ill-fated second national commercial multiplex, which was awarded to now defunct Channel 4-led 4 Digital consortium, has yet to be re-advertised.

DRWG's findings are expected to be a key part of communications minister Lord Carter's Digital Britain report next year.

Speaking to the culture, media and sport committee on Wednesday, Carter said: "Radio can be received on mobile phones and through the television. Could you have digital radio without DAB? Yes, you probably could.

"If we do want DAB, we need to push it along a bit or technology will drive it out."

Reception has gone to muck even at ground level a few miles from Three Rock - synchronisation issues between 3R and CC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Just took my first step in DAB reception, picking up all irish stations on this little radio I got from Ebay germany, got mine last week for €16 + €15 shipping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 RTÉ Pulse: Dave

Radio stations licenced by the broadcasting commission of Ireland ceased broadcasting on Ireland’s second digital radio multiplex (Mux 2) on Sunday, 30th November. The stations were broadcasting on Mux 2 as part of a digital radio trial. RTÉ continues to broadcast on the RTÉ multiplex. ComReg and the BCI are currently exploring regulatory frameworks for digital radio multiplex licensing and broadcast licences. digitalRadio.ie advises you to contact www.bci.ie or www.ComReg.ie directly with comments on the continuation of commercial radio stations on digital radio platforms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Propellerhead

Right now, as a means of delivering additional choice on radio in ireland, DAB is dead. RTE and Comreg have killed it by RTE's shut out of rebroadcasting UK stations and by the lack of Irish commercial stations.

If you want choice and audio quality DO NOT invest in a DAB receiver but buy an Internet radio if you have wireless broadband or link your stereo to a satellite receiver.

DAB is now only worthwhile in Ireland if you live sufficently close to the border or in Northern Ireland itself where at least you have some choice.

DAB is now only worthwhile in Ireland if you live sufficently close to the border or in Northern Ireland itself where at least you have some choice.

Are any of the Irish independant stations such as Newstalk and Today FM going digital?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

They were there during the testing of DAB. Have they gone now?

Correct, there are no independant stations at the moment, only RTE stations.

Right now, as a means of delivering additional choice on radio in ireland, DAB is dead. RTE and Comreg have killed it by RTE's shut out of rebroadcasting UK stations and by the lack of Irish commercial stations.

If you want choice and audio quality DO NOT invest in a DAB receiver but buy an Internet radio if you have wireless broadband or link your stereo to a satellite receiver.

I hate seeing this brought up over and over again - RTE would not be able to rebroadcast UK stations, end of. Rights costs would be excessive, and there is only currently capacity for TWO DAB multiplexes here - RTE would have no capacity for their own stations if they rebroadcasted UK stations!

Its a dead horse, please stop flogging it. We're never getting the BBC on our DAB network.

I'd agree with MYOB on this one.

People have been more interested in getting TV from the UK, moreso than radio, so the "tradition" of long distance dx'ing of BBC TV doesn't translate for radio in the same mass appeal.

Ireland has a thriving radio industry of its own (user discretion is advised to think that its any good or not) and Comreg nor the BCI is going to allow their licenced stations to further dilution of audience.

To me, its the half-drunken ramblings of a poster who has hit the sherry late in the night! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I hate seeing this brought up over and over again - RTE would not be able to rebroadcast UK stations, end of. Rights costs would be excessive, and there is only currently capacity for TWO DAB multiplexes here - RTE would have no capacity for their own stations if they rebroadcasted UK stations!

Its a dead horse, please stop flogging it. We're never getting the BBC on our DAB network.

The rights are actually very cheap to Broadcast BBC Radio terrestrially in Ireland. But RTE management will never agree to it as long as RTE controls DAB.

If Boxer had DAB or RTENL was really a separate company with no RTE connection, DAB would have BBC Radio easily.

I agree though. We will never see BBC on DAB. DAB is dead. Get Satellite for HiFi or portable Internet Radio (my E65 Nokia phone gets all the BBC Radio).

FM MW LW for car. Maybe also DRM eventually on car. but not DAB only as even RTE is unlikely to have national DAB coverage anytime soon.

What about the independant stations such as Newstalk and Today FM. Will they not be launching on DAB?

Currently they cannot as there is absolutely no framework for commercial DAB. Both operated when there was a trial licence available.

Watty - we would not get BBC DAB on an unencrypted 2 mux system in Ireland, no matter *who* owned it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭TVDX

Will mux 2 become available from woodcock hill?.

• Advertisement

That depends entirely on if it ever exists again... and who owns it/uses it.

Reception has gone to muck even at ground level a few miles from Three Rock - synchronisation issues between 3R and CC?

Much improved in Dublin but still abysmal out West - nothing in car, and only 2 bars of 5 on a rooftop antenna (was 5/5 before).

I find it really hard to believe that any broadcast than RTE will have interest in DAB in the present climate. Especially with the coverage.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/12/29/grant_goddard_drwg_analysis/

There is some point to DRM on LW, MW and SW. But given the choice, coverage, flexibility of VHF-FM replacing it with DAB increasingly seems a non-runner.

Given current financial climate and costs of DTT and likely failure of Boxer before RTENL has recovered costs of the Boxer Multiplexes, I can't see RTE having the money to roll out any more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

I agree with you Watty. With the financial crises in Ireland and the world over, it is going to have an effect on the roll out of both DAB and DTT. I would think any further roll out of DAB has already been abandoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

I really hope RTÉ stop wasting money on DAB. If it fails in the UK there's no chance of it succeeding here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 waiguoren

We will never see BBC on DAB.

RTE Choice features programmes from the BBC World Service such as 'From Our Own Correspondent' and 'Outlook' and from the BBC Radio 4 archive such as 'Yes Minister' and 'Sorry I Haven't a Clue' in between the Voice of Russia rants.

Can anyone with a DAB radio with EPG let me know if they see the EPG with the RTE Multiplex please. I'm not seeing it on my Lobster 700TV phone but RTE assure me the EPG is being broadcasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭david23

I really hope RTÉ stop wasting money on DAB. If it fails in the UK there's no chance of it succeeding here.

There's no chance of it failing in the UK. From the Digital Britain report published today:

"We are making a clear statement of Government and policy commitment to enabling DAB to be a primary distribution network for radio;

We will create a plan for digital migration of radio, which the Government intends to put in place once the following criteria have been met:

When 50% of radio listening is digital;

When national DAB coverage is comparable to FM coverage, and local DAB reaches 90% of population and all major roads.

We will create a Digital Radio Delivery Group which includes the retailers, the Transmission Networks, the BBC, the Commercial Radio Companies, the Car Manufacturers, consumer representatives and the device manufacturers, whose role would be to increase the attractiveness, availability and affordability of DAB and to advise on the Digital Migration Plan.

We will work with the BBC to explore how they could extend their digital radio coverage to replicate at least current FM analogue coverage.

As recommended by the Digital Radio Working Group, we will conduct a cost-benefit analysis of digital migration."

http://www.culture.gov.uk/images/publications/S1_digital_britain_interimreportjan09.pdf

But why switch to a technology that's already obsolete? RTÉ were worse, implementing it when it was already dead in the water.

• Advertisement

We were staying in Enniskillen last weekend,so i brought my dab radio with me to see what UK stations i could pick up,all the beebs,magic,downtown,cool fm,q102 and talksport (which didnt have as good a signal as the rest). I would love to have all those available in Sligo,Irish radio is rubbish in comparison to the UK!

Advertisement