Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Would a TD not have some obligation to notify their party of this kind of thing?

Either way, unlikely that Micheal Martin really was unaware until now.

Surprised it was not news at the time anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

It was 4 years ago. People make mistakes and if he has learnt from it and changed his behaviour then it’s time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Does anyone believe that this was his only time to ever drink drive?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Fairly big story was it reported in the press at the time?

If not why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

Lucky MM didn’t give him Transport I suppose as thee would be big questions to answer then ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,123 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Are we supposed to care about him having a drink driving charge from 4 years ago? Why does that stop him from doing his job? How does that make his position untenable?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,934 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

eviltwin wrote: »
    It was 4 years ago. People make mistakes and if he has learnt from it and changed his behaviour then it’s time to move on.

Argue with his politics and performance.

Don't say he can't do his job because of some unrelated past event.

Should every drink driver lose their job, even years after the fact?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Strange how this is only emerging now whereas details of Clare Daly's arrest for a similar crime, of which she was fully cleared, were leaked almost immediately.

One rule for the rest of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Koolguy

Can't see it matters now

Would be a stretch to believe MM didn't hear about it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I think if you asked that question to the population at large you'd find a sizeable chunk have. I think the figures are increasing because the guards rarely do checkpoints.
    What amazed me is that he was still on a leather permit at 48?
    I think if he had a full license he would have been under the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

I’m not condoning drink driving in any way but he did have a very low level of alcohol is only subject to a 3 month ban

It’s a strange one, made a mistake and move on or should there be zero tolerance. I’m sure anyone who lost someone due to the actions of a drink driver would probably be in the second camp

It certainly indicates poor judgement, but who hasn’t made a mistake they don’t regret

Back in power and Fianna Fail already creating drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Common enough where he's from no doubt he's been at it for years. Lucky now he has a driver to chauffeur him around while he can sup away in the back.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Argue with his politics and performance.

Don't say he can't do his job because of some unrelated past event.

Should every drink driver lose their job, even years after the fact?

I think you might has misread my post. I have no desire to see him lose his job and think he’s entitled to move on from this

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Back in power and Fianna Fail already creating drama.
    Well it's the Indo creating drama. Sure, he was an idiot for doing so but quite some time ago and no suggestion that he's a repeat offender.

Will Barry Cowen get banned from Morning Ireland interviews going forward just as a precaution?

Are TDs obliged to inform the public/their party of criminal matters they're involved in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Probably makes no difference at this stage .. I don’t remember reading about in any media at the time but I live locally enough to his constituency and it was well known and for MM to state he didn’t know anything about is laughable of course all FF members knew about this and I am sure it was well discussed in dail bar ..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,418 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Are TDs obliged to inform the public/their party of criminal matters they're involved in?

Have you informed your employer of every misdeed since your teens?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Don't agree with him losing his position, he was obviously on the lower end of the scale hence why he only got banned for 3 months, plus four years ago, so what?

What I cannot understand though is how the press didn't report on it at the time. Jesus, sure you only have to read the local paper to see how they run with any auld shyte to fill the pages from a local yobbo caught peeing on the street, people with no NCT/not wearing seatbelts, speeding etc etc etc.

I'd have thought a serving td having his day in court and losing the license would have been unable to escape print.

Guess it depends on who you know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Of course it doesn’t reflect well on Cowen, but no way he should lose his position over it, hopefully cancel culture hasn’t gone so far in Irish politics.
    No time for Cowen or his party btw.

Have you informed your employer of every misdeed since your teens?

That doesn't answer the question. TDs have to tell us about their property interests and whether or not they have shares.

I'm asking do they have to inform us about criminal matters?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Curiousness99

It’s probably a positive sign that he was charged in the first place, in the not too distant past he would of been sent on his way or a few calls afterwards would have smoothed things over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Koolguy

McMurphy wrote: »
    Don't agree with him losing his position, he was obviously on the lower end of the scale hence why he only got banned for 3 months, plus four years ago, so what?

What I cannot understand though is how the press didn't report on it at the time. Jesus, sure you only have to read the local paper to see how they run with any auld shyte to fill the pages from a local yobbo caught peeing on the street, people with no NCT/not wearing seatbelts, speeding etc etc etc.

I'd have thought a serving td having his day in court and losing the license would have been unable to escape print.

They probably filed it under "wait til he's a minister then print it"

I have little time for FF or Barry Cowen for that matter but this is a guttersnipe by an alleged broadsheet. The man made a mistake, served his punishment. Several years ago. Leave him be. This is the sort of pettiness one can expect from a toilet rag, the Indo belongs in the nearest bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,683 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Koolguy wrote: »
    They probably filed it under "wait til he's a minister then print it"

This is it exactly. At the time there would have been unlikely to be anything made of it and the media were reporting on something else of greater importance. It just shows how desperate they are for news that they’re dragging up a tidbit they should have published four years ago if they were actually all that concerned about his drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Jizique

McMurphy wrote: »

It didn’t have to go to court

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

That doesn't answer the question. TDs have to tell us about their property interests and whether or not they have shares.

I'm asking do they have to inform us about criminal matters?
    Hardly counts as a criminal matter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭6o9fv7jpreb180

I think the bigger crime is an offaly man getting tickets for the all-ireland football final!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Jizique wrote: »
    It didn’t have to go to court

My bad, I assumed the driving ban had to be court issued.

My point still stands though, and as previously pointed out, Clare Daly did nothing wrong, let alone be charged with anything, yet her name was all over the press before she even got home from Garda custody.

As I said, it depends on who you know I guess.

Advertisement