Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Why is this even news?

The man was caught slightly over, 4 years ago... who cares.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Why is this even news?

I think it's how the media treated him versus they treated Claire Daly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

agree, - about M.M. Brian Cowan, one of the very best of F.F. and hope barry will survive f.f. with m.m. overseeing it.

Not! being a f.f. fan; - I have not barely read this thread; - as the most disingenuous thing now about the f.f. and Dept. of Agriculture is:-

Barry has just now, instantly, pulled down E1.5 billion for the [already] wealthy farmers, in reps scheme payments; Plus E50 million in Beef scheme payments.

This F.F. government is instantly intent on Locking-In the Wealth - of the already Wealthy.

And the odd crusts to the rest of us.

Ah don't be upsetting the farmers now with that oul chat

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

mynamejeff wrote: »
    aw shinners the party that keeps on taking …...

So that's Cowen cancelled out...except not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Anyway, has anyone heard a feckin WORD out of MM's mouth since Monday?

We are in the middle of a Corona Virus, dithering about travel and so on (probably waiting for the White House and the EU), but still.....nothing to say at all as our new Taoiseach? Not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Why is this even news?

I see no harm in the media raising the issue.

But it makes a stark contrast with the absence of any media interest in Roderic O'Gorman endorsing Peter Tatchell in 2018, a campaigner who has expressed controversial views to the effect that adult/child sexual relationships are not always harmful.

You think that would provoke some questioning, as he is our new Minister for Children. But apparently a 2016 drink driving charge is more newsworthy. Funny old world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Koolguy

Anyway, has anyone heard a feckin WORD out of MM's mouth since Monday?

We are in the middle of a Corona Virus, dithering about travel and so on (probably waiting for the White House and the EU), but still.....nothing to say at all as our new Taoiseach? Not impressed.
    I'd rather not listen to him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Limpy wrote: »

Because the media weren't aware of it. He didn't appear in court or get any conviction, just a fine.

There's no big conspiracy. If journalists were in court any day a serving councillor or TD appeared for drink driving, it would certainly be reported.

As for it appearing now, clearly the media were tipped off about it by someone, whatever that persons motive.

The idea they've been sitting on a fixed charge penalty notice for 4 years filed under "major future scandals" is ridiculous.

Koolguy wrote: »
    I'd rather not listen to him

Me too, but MM is the Leader of our country now and has been silent. No direction, no Leadership, no nothing. WTAF? These are not normal times remember?

In fairness they knew what was facing them and should have hit the ground running to instil a bit of confidence in us all.

Instead we have mixed messages about travel, and a silent TShock.

We need the Greens and FG to ask questions now.

Ah I will give them until next Wednesday. After that they can rightly feck off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,260 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Homelander wrote: »
    Because the media weren't aware of it. He didn't appear in court or get any conviction, just a fine.

There's no big conspiracy. If journalists were in court any day a serving councillor or TD appeared for drink driving, it would certainly be reported.

As for it appearing now, clearly the media were tipped off about it by someone, whatever that persons motive.

The idea they've been sitting on a fixed charge penalty notice for 4 years filed under "major future scandals" is ridiculous.

Personally I don't think people understand he essentially got a fixed charge notice similar to what you'd get for speeding and he didn't appear in court.

FF are pariahs. They knocked this country back in 2006/7 with their shenanigans, they were unreal.

They are now back in power and really need to show us how they have rehabilitated themselves.

Has anyone heard a word from MM yet? I haven't.

But I suppose he will be on RTE tomorrow sometime in a comfortable interview talking about Covid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Personally I don't think people understand he essentially got a fixed charge notice similar to what you'd get for speeding and he didn't appear in court.

Except instead of speeding it was for drinking and being over the limit.
    Shameful but not the most important part. Is MM lying about only hearing about it? How come it wasn't a news item at the time, why now? Are the media treatng different people differently when you compare Clare Daly's treatment?

Bowie wrote: »
    Shameful but not the most important part. Is MM lying about only hearing about it? How come it wasn't a news item at the time, why now? Are the media treatng different people differently when you compare Clare Daly's treatment?

I know it wasn't for speeding but my point is it wasn't in court and the reason why is because it was a fixed charge notice and that's why it may have not been known to the public unless the Garda spoke out about it.
    Some people are saying it was covered up in the courts, local journalists were bribed,etc and this not the case.
    I don't know why Michael Martin doesn't know about it.
    I don't know why the Clare Daly story ended up in the media. My theory is she doesn't come across as polite and somebody may have blabbed whilst Cowen probably was more polite.

Bowie wrote: »

SF will love this.

FF are pariahs. They knocked this country back in 2006/7 with their shenanigans, they were unreal.

They are now back in power and really need to show us how they have rehabilitated themselves.

Has anyone heard a word from MM yet? I haven't.

But I suppose he will be on RTE tomorrow sometime in a comfortable interview talking about Covid.

It just says MM was disappointed in hearing about it!

https://www.rte.ie/news/politics/2020/0704/1151331-micheal-martin-barry-cowen/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Limpy wrote: »

This is the key for me. How does he get his story buried, when Clare Daly is wall to wall even before she is actually found innocent of the same charge?

I would be interested in a poll to see how many people believe that Michael Martin knew about this when it happened. I find it very hard to believe that he didn't. I mean when Mick Wallace was caught on his mobile phone it went straight up the blue grapevine to the Commissioner very quickly. Are we supposed to believe that no Guard / FFer / local / member of dept Justice told Michael Martin this?

I think he could not be seen to have known about it and kept it quiet, so the lesser of two evils was to wait for the story to break and then pretend that he didn't know about it. But then they have kept the killer of Mary Boyle safe for many decades to protect the reputation of the party, so what would you expect from FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

is there no compulsion to get a proper license to replace the old provisional licence (apart from being required to drive accompanied)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,838 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I know it wasn't for speeding but my point is it wasn't in court and the reason why is because it was a fixed charge notice and that's why it may have not been known to the public unless the Garda spoke out about it.
    Some people are saying it was covered up in the courts, local journalists were bribed,etc and this not the case.
    I don't know why Michael Martin doesn't know about it.
    I don't know why the Clare Daly story ended up in the media. My theory is she doesn't come across as polite and somebody may have blabbed whilst Cowen probably was more polite.

Daly is probably seen, rightly or wrongly as a trouble maker, a bit of a ‘thorn in the side’... shes a bit and I use this terminology without offensive overtones.. but a dog with a bone when it comes to getting her teeth into the government and holding them to account... she’s unlikely to be thought of favorably amongst fellow mainstream politicians of either side and she’s been critical of Gardai in the past and indeed the justice system so....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

SF will love this.

Well, considering posters on here are saying, 'it's four years, we should forget about', I'm wondering would that hold water if it was Cullinane instead of Cowen.

• Advertisement

Strumms wrote: »
    Daly is probably seen, rightly or wrongly as a trouble maker, a bit of a ‘thorn in the side’... shes a bit and I use this terminology without offensive overtones.. but a dog with a bone when it comes to getting her teeth into the government and holding them to account... she’s unlikely to be thought of favorably amongst fellow mainstream politicians of either side and she’s been critical of Gardai in the past and indeed the justice system so....

That’s for wording that nicely for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,545 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Strumms wrote: »

So because she was doing her job holding the Gardai and government to account the response was to destroy her in the media, is this what you are saying? If this is the case that is shocking way for the state to carry on and is on a par with what we have seen in corrupt countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Connacht15

At least the great and the good are now being stopped for committing offences which certainly was not the case in former times!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

agree, - about M.M. Brian Cowan, one of the very best of F.F. and hope barry will survive f.f. with m.m. overseeing it.

Not! being a f.f. fan; - I have not barely read this thread; - as the most disingenuous thing now about the f.f. and Dept. of Agriculture is:-

Barry has just now, instantly, pulled down E1.5 billion for the [already] wealthy farmers, in reps scheme payments; Plus E50 million in Beef scheme payments.

This F.F. government is instantly intent on Locking-In the Wealth - of the already Wealthy.

And the odd crusts to the rest of us.

For me this has seriously damaged MM as he has stated he did not know what one of his fellow TDs has being caught. I do not believe he did not know as this kinda stuff is always known, i do believe that Barry Cowan may never have told him directly, as leader of the part its his job to know, if he doesn't well ??
    So he cannot run his own party and he is now running our country at a time of crisis.
    I would not think Cowen is responsible for money to farmers as i read some time ago that farmers were getting money, of course he will take the credit as that's how the game is played.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

I don’t know how MM could know unless Cowen told him.
    It is a reflection on the Gardaí that Wallace and Daly did very little and nothing wrong but the details still ended up on tv.
    But there was no reason the Cowen incident should have come out, that’s really how things should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Looks like no one here has checked the facts.

1. He had a provisional license (eejit)

2. His blood/alcohol limit was between 10&35mg

3. He accepted the option of an on the spot 3 months ban and €200 fine.

4. If he had a full license he would have been waved on.

So because he is an eejit and couldn't be arsed taking a driving test, he got the ban as the limits for learners at that time was 35mg/100. (it's now 20mg)

As for Clare daly, she would have been charged if the 2016 limit applied at the time she was stopped. And remember that she was "unable" to blow into the breathalyzer and wanted a doctor to take a blood sample, but eventually (almost 2 hours later) she gave a urine sample which was 30% below the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Darc19 wrote: »
    So because he is an eejit and couldn't be arsed taking a driving test, he got the ban as the limits for learners at that time was 35mg/100. (it's now 20mg)
    "If you are applying for a third or subsequent learner permit you must provide confirmation that you have applied for a driving test in that category or that you have failed a driving test in that category in the last two years (statement of driving test outcome)"

"If you are applying for a third or subsequent learner permit you must provide confirmation that you have applied for a driving test in that category or that you have failed a driving test in that category in the last two years (statement of driving test outcome)"

This was 2016. Rules have thankfully tightened now.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Eduard Khil

He was on the way back from the 2016 all Ireland final did he attend this alone or was he with party colleagues. Surely not the former so if the latter how was a TD who'd obviously been drinking been allowed to leave and drive while drunk and how many others did so without being caught. Definitely gonna be a line of enquiry needed for this.

• Advertisement

He was on the way back from the 2016 all Ireland final did he attend this alone or was he with party colleagues. Surely not the former so if the latter how was a TD who'd obviously been drinking been allowed to leave and drive while drunk and how many others did so without being caught. Definitely gonna be a line of enquiry needed for this.
    But he wasn't drunk. His reading indicated far less than one pint of beer.

But because he had a provisional license, the alcohol drive limit for him was substantially below that of full license holders at 20mg v 50mg

And it was a fixed penalty, just like a speeding ticket. If he was the only person in the car, no one else would have known about it.
    Hence why it never came up in the media and now that the facts are known, it has become yesterday's news.

Indo need to try harder

Advertisement