Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barry Cowen sacked

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,264 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Fairly big story was it reported in the press at the time?

If not why not?

From my understanding he got points and a 3 month ban and a fine. Isn't it similar to people who get caught speeding and receive a fixed charge notice. It didn't go to court so it wouldn't be in the courts or paper.

Something about this is not sitting quite right with me. He's a public representative, he should be held to a higher standard than the average Joe working a 9-5. He put himself on the road in a condition where he was more likely to kill people and the electorate never had an opportunity at the time to have their say, because it was seemingly brushed under the rug. Personally, someone who has just been done for drink driving isn't fit to be a councillor or a TD.

I think the public will happily vote for a drink driver tough.This guy topped the poll in my area and was four times over the limit and Since then he went onto verbally abuse a Garda. So, I don't think it really matters.

https://www.thecork.ie/2014/12/11/video-exclusive-4-times-over-the-limit-drink-driving-ban-for-sinn-fein-cork-cllr/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Hardly counts as a criminal matter though.
    He is lucky not to have crashed and possibly killed somebody, in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,678 ✭✭✭✭walshb

osarusan wrote: »
    Would a TD not have some obligation to notify their party of this kind of thing?

Either way, unlikely that Micheal Martin really was unaware until now.

Surprised it was not news at the time anyway.

This is the crux of the matter.

Cowen clearly cannot be trusted.

FF are historically the largest political party on this island.

Cowen is not some average joe. He is a politician. Convicted of a serious offence in my view, and yet he didn’t disclose this to the party it seems?

How can Martin stand over this? And did he know? If so, and he is saying he did not, then he has to go.

We need to strive for actual standards in public office.

This is not some personal insignificant issue. It’s serious. Drink driving kills. Destroys...

He is guilty of drink driving, and not only did we not know, but his own political party seemed to have not known..

Any party and party leader with any scruples, standards and morals could not ever tolerate this..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

McMurphy wrote: »
    Which might inadvertently open up a whole new can of worms for him.

How long was he on a learners permit?
    Was he accompanied by a full license holder at the time?

And did the accompanying driver have a responsibility to make sure he was fit to drive?

If he was over the limit at the end of the journey, what state was he in at the start of the journey - 90 minutes earlier on a good day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I am surprised there is even a level of drink driving which 'attracts' only a three month ban. What level was he caught at? edit: sorry, I see this question was answered in thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

I am open to correction,but I think only the Taoiseach and Tanaiste have chauffeur driven cars.

Yep. All of the others must supply their own car and driver and can claim motoring expenses and drivers' wages from the taxpayer.

Presumably Eamon Ryan employs a man with a red flag to run in front of his bicycle while ringing a bell very loudly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

Water John wrote: »

This sort of comment is just stupid or smart alec. No opinion on Barry Cowen but I know a few people who never learned to drive. some due to nervousness, others because of some negative experience whilst they were learning.
    did they live a rural area, have a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

did they live a rural area, have a job?

A neighbour here who is a pub owner never drove, often walks home (2 miles) at 4 or 5am after cleaning up

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

eviltwin wrote: »
    It was 4 years ago. People make mistakes and if he has learnt from it and changed his behaviour then it’s time to move on.

Yeah sure FF are the party of change. Haughey, Aherne, imf, Tribunals , Galway tent etc sure those members clearly change and never repeat mistakes.

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    A neighbour here who is a pub owner never drove, often walks home (2 miles) at 4 or 5am after cleaning up
    so he lives incredible close to his work

did his parents own the pub?

Cowen is auctioneer/valuer, Councillor, running a greyhound stadium and TD...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

so he lives incredible close to his work

did his parents own the pub?

Cowen is auctioneer valuer, Councillor, running a greyhound stadium and TD...

Yea, he's about 70 now just retired, still does a bit.
    Took over the pub in his early 20s when his father died

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

No one who has a learners permit at 48 should be a government minister. He is clearly the idiot brother (well maybe not any more :) ).
    How many learner permits did Barry Cowan have by the time he reached the fine age of 48?
    Has he passed his test since and does he now hold a full licence?
    Was he accompanied by a qualified driver when he was over the alcohol limit, and was the qualified driver tested for alcohol?
    As the Minister for Agriculture and the Marine does he know the driving licence category for a tractor?
    Why does a motorcyclist have to be 24 to have a licence, but you only have to be 16 (a Twitter video show-off idiot) for a tractor licence?

As an Offaly born man myself, I like to ask questions about our glorious leaders. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭KaneToad

eviltwin wrote: »
    It was 4 years ago. People make mistakes and if he has learnt from it and changed his behaviour then it’s time to move on.

Would he continue to have made this 'mistake' were he not caught?
    Was this the only time he ever drove while drunk?

And driving on a provisional licence at the time.

The reason that this is a big deal for some people is that it shows very poor judgement and a disregard for others and the law. Not what you want for someone appointed into high office in the country. Are these traits of poor judgement and lack of regard for others/law confined to his approach to driving while drunk or do they extend into other facets of his professional/political life?

KaneToad wrote: »

The reason that this is a big deal for some people is that it shows very poor judgement and a disregard for others and the law. Not what you want for someone appointed into high office in the country. Are these traits of poor judgement and lack of regard for others/law confined to his approach to driving while drunk or do they extend into other facets of his professional/political life?

Can we stop stating as fact that the man was “drunk” driving..

We do not know this...

The offence is not drunk driving..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Koolguy

Yawn

Koolguy wrote: »
    Yawn

Exactly what is wrong with society is this post..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Does anyone believe that this was his only time to ever drink drive?

Do tell us, please.

My local SF TD got caught drink driving and he was three or four times over the limit another time he verbally abused a Garda.
    People don't seem to care about these thing from my experience because of this.
    Getting caught drink driving and having a disregard for the Law would make me question somebody but clearly it's an unpopular opinion seeing the guy I mentioned topped the poll in my area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Delighted this news came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Common enough where he's from no doubt he's been at it for years. Lucky now he has a driver to chauffeur him around while he can sup away in the back.

Yes I suppose if he's an Offalyman he must have done it before. They shouldn't be allowed into the Dáil at all. Tell us what you know. Don't keep us in the dark about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

feargale wrote: »
    Yes I suppose if he's an Offalyman he must have done it before. They shouldn't be allowed into the Dáil at all. Tell us what you know. Don't keep us in the dark about him.

Fierce unlucky to be caught on your first rodeo drink driving

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

Remind me wrote: »
    It was 4 years ago and dealt with at the time. It wasn't brushed under the rug.

Of the media are sitting on it since then it shows how s**ty the media have gone.

While I am completely against anyone who drink drives I think Barry Cowen and FF in general have given plenty of reasons for the public to have had their say.

would he have been voted in if the people knew the truth?

of course we'll never know, but the public should know if they are electing a criminal.

so Barry Cowen was a provisional

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

would he have been voted in if the people knew the truth?

of course we'll never know, but the public should know if they are electing a criminal.

Youre incorrect

He received a fixed charge penalty notice which is not a criminal conviction, he was not convicted of any offence in a court

• Registered Users Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

McCrack wrote: »
    Youre incorrect

He received a fixed charge penalty notice which is not a criminal conviction, he was not convicted of any offence in a court

if i called him a criminal on the LLS could he sue me for slander?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I have little interest in this but...
    Michael Martin shafted Brian Cowan when he was leader, totally disloyal.
    Now MM the boss so guilt payback.
    For me he simply hasn't got what needed in leader...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

My local SF TD got caught drink driving and he was three or four times over the limit another time he verbally abused a Garda.
    People don't seem to care about these thing from my experience because of this.
    Getting caught drink driving and having a disregard for the Law would make me question somebody but clearly it's an unpopular opinion seeing the guy I mentioned topped the poll in my area.

Who was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NovemberWren

I have little interest in this but...
    Michael Martin shafted Brian Cowan when he was leader, totally disloyal.
    Now MM the boss so guilt payback.
    For me he simply hasn't got what needed in leader...

agree, - about M.M. Brian Cowan, one of the very best of F.F. and hope barry will survive f.f. with m.m. overseeing it.

Not! being a f.f. fan; - I have not barely read this thread; - as the most disingenuous thing now about the f.f. and Dept. of Agriculture is:-

Barry has just now, instantly, pulled down E1.5 billion for the [already] wealthy farmers, in reps scheme payments; Plus E50 million in Beef scheme payments.

This F.F. government is instantly intent on Locking-In the Wealth - of the already Wealthy.

And the odd crusts to the rest of us.

Advertisement