Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-03-2020, 13:31   #1
Golfhead65

What do you do about Club Membership fees if courses are closed

Just wondering what everyone will do about membership fees if golf clubs are forced to close ?? If you paid upfront will you be credited, if you are on DD do you suspend ??
Advertisement
24-03-2020, 13:51   #2
GolfNut33

Can see a few clubs going because of this. Our club ain't exactly flush at the moment so will struggle. Personally I have paid upfront and won't be looking for a suspension on my sub if it hurts the club to do so.

Can see most who pay monthly stopping their payments and there are also lots who have lost their jobs and golf will be the first to go from the outgoings.
24-03-2020, 13:53   #3
callaway92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfhead65 View Post
Just wondering what everyone will do about membership fees if golf clubs are forced to close ?? If you paid upfront will you be credited, if you are on DD do you suspend ??
Surely it'd just be carried over if you paid up front?

DD should be stopped obv
24-03-2020, 14:52   #4
youcancallmeal

I'm debating whether to keep paying my monthly DD. It seems like golf is going to be one of the last things to be closed due to lower risk of spreading coronavirus(When all proper precautions and social distancing is followed of course). So with that logic courses should be first to open back up when we move back to less restrictive measures.
24-03-2020, 15:31   #5
etxp

I haven't paid yet, and don't intend to pay unless I can start playing which wont be anytime soon. at this stage I think I will hold out for membership for next year. Club usually does an 15 month offer around October time.
Advertisement
24-03-2020, 15:40   #6
Ollieboy

If we all do what your suggesting above then sell your clubs quick because there will be no golf clubs left. Where do you think they get the money from if you stop paying!

That’s what you do when you join a club, you support it through thick and thin!
24-03-2020, 15:40   #7
slave1

Mod: Golf, ZTest
This is going to be a biggie, what with the weather I have not played my home course this yr, think I played it once since November, it could be months before the courses are open again, membership is not exactly short change and pretty much everyone I know bar 2 lads have not paid subs for 2020 yet
24-03-2020, 15:58   #8
Rackstar

Quote:
You can't be serious. It's your club, you do everything possible to keep it alive. It'd take a special type of person to go looking for credit. Really shows your true colours. You must bounce around clubs?

Last edited by Rackstar; 24-03-2020 at 16:06. Reason: spelling
24-03-2020, 16:28   #9
eoghan104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackstar View Post
You can't be serious. It's your club, you do everything possible to keep it alive. It'd take a special type of person to go looking for credit. Really shows your true colours. You must bounce around clubs?
I think anyone with any kind of affinity to their club will pay their fees. You cant blame someone who changes clubs a lot for not wanting to pay.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
24-03-2020, 16:52   #10
BigChap1759

Quote:

Not all clubs are member owned clubs - many are commercial going concerns and so I think that puts a different slant on things.
Thanks from:
24-03-2020, 16:55   #11
GreeBo

I'm thinking about changing my sub to an hourly DD.
That way I can cancel it at night time and when the course is closed due to rain or frost.

I'll save a bundle!
24-03-2020, 16:55   #12
hurikane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChap1759 View Post
Not all clubs are member owned clubs - many are commercial going concerns and so I think that puts a different slant on things.
The course may be owned separately, there’ll be no club without the course.
24-03-2020, 17:16   #13
Kingswood Rover

Quote:
If you want your club to survive and you can manage the payment then do it. Some clubs are run by businesses rather than club owned i would think that these clubs will be even in more peril as there might not be the same level of commitment.

Last edited by Kingswood Rover; 24-03-2020 at 18:55.
(2) thanks from:
24-03-2020, 17:33   #14
dan_ep82

I signed up to a DD at the beginning of the year but as of yet to receive any word on it. Obviously now it will either be very hard or impossible to pay.

If it's possible to get a holiday similar to the mortgages and just start later in the year I won't have a problem paying to keep it open. It will mean the courses may need to secure funding in the mean time which might not be possible for all clubs.
24-03-2020, 18:10   #15
Golfhead65

Quote:
Never seen you on this before, maybe you have but dont attack me about my true colors, I only asked a genuine question that most sane people replied sensibly and for your information I'm a fully paid up member of my club and have a worry about where this goes as I know renewals were only due around now

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion