Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do about Club Membership fees if courses are closed

• 24-03-2020 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what everyone will do about membership fees if golf clubs are forced to close ?? If you paid upfront will you be credited, if you are on DD do you suspend ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Can see a few clubs going because of this. Our club ain't exactly flush at the moment so will struggle. Personally I have paid upfront and won't be looking for a suspension on my sub if it hurts the club to do so.

Can see most who pay monthly stopping their payments and there are also lots who have lost their jobs and golf will be the first to go from the outgoings.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Just wondering what everyone will do about membership fees if golf clubs are forced to close ?? If you paid upfront will you be credited, if you are on DD do you suspend ??

Surely it'd just be carried over if you paid up front?

DD should be stopped obv

• Registered Users Posts: 7,976 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm debating whether to keep paying my monthly DD. It seems like golf is going to be one of the last things to be closed due to lower risk of spreading coronavirus(When all proper precautions and social distancing is followed of course). So with that logic courses should be first to open back up when we move back to less restrictive measures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I haven't paid yet, and don't intend to pay unless I can start playing which wont be anytime soon. at this stage I think I will hold out for membership for next year. Club usually does an 15 month offer around October time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

If we all do what your suggesting above then sell your clubs quick because there will be no golf clubs left. Where do you think they get the money from if you stop paying!

That’s what you do when you join a club, you support it through thick and thin!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

This is going to be a biggie, what with the weather I have not played my home course this yr, think I played it once since November, it could be months before the courses are open again, membership is not exactly short change and pretty much everyone I know bar 2 lads have not paid subs for 2020 yet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Rackstar

You can't be serious. It's your club, you do everything possible to keep it alive. It'd take a special type of person to go looking for credit. Really shows your true colours. You must bounce around clubs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭eoghan104

Rackstar wrote: »
    You can't be serious. It's your club, you do everything possible to keep it alive. It'd take a special type of person to go looking for credit. Really shows your true colours. You must bounce around clubs?

I think anyone with any kind of affinity to their club will pay their fees. You cant blame someone who changes clubs a lot for not wanting to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭BigChap1759

Not all clubs are member owned clubs - many are commercial going concerns and so I think that puts a different slant on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,960 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I'm thinking about changing my sub to an hourly DD.
    That way I can cancel it at night time and when the course is closed due to rain or frost.

I'll save a bundle!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭hurikane

Not all clubs are member owned clubs - many are commercial going concerns and so I think that puts a different slant on things.

The course may be owned separately, there’ll be no club without the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

If you want your club to survive and you can manage the payment then do it. Some clubs are run by businesses rather than club owned i would think that these clubs will be even in more peril as there might not be the same level of commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I signed up to a DD at the beginning of the year but as of yet to receive any word on it. Obviously now it will either be very hard or impossible to pay.

If it's possible to get a holiday similar to the mortgages and just start later in the year I won't have a problem paying to keep it open. It will mean the courses may need to secure funding in the mean time which might not be possible for all clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Never seen you on this before, maybe you have but dont attack me about my true colors, I only asked a genuine question that most sane people replied sensibly and for your information I'm a fully paid up member of my club and have a worry about where this goes as I know renewals were only due around now

• Registered Users Posts: 20,607 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

slave1 wrote: »
    This is going to be a biggie, what with the weather I have not played my home course this yr, think I played it once since November, it could be months before the courses are open again, membership is not exactly short change and pretty much everyone I know bar 2 lads have not paid subs for 2020 yet

Are you serious ?

You consider weather when paying your sub :eek:

I accept it depends on the type of club. But very surprised at the pace people willing to even consider this.

I accept people are losing jobs etc and it is an emotional time.

But , I'll be paying everything - even my gym and let them come up with a proposal over the next 2/3 months.

I sense there were some of the actions that have been taken, that have been a bit Irish, a bit opportunistic.

We are coming off the back of 6/7 years a fairly substantial economic growth and the speed of let offs and style is extraordinary.

Anyway - support your club if you can, thick and thin.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I pay mine by DD every month and I’ve no intention of stopping it. I haven’t played my course since October either - not 100% by my choice either, the timesheet was always full when I went to try get out.
    Clubs are going to struggle and until I’m short of cash, I’ll keep paying. I want my club to be here when all this eventually comes to an end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

I only got my renewal letter about 2 weeks ago. Not sure if that's because its approx 12 months since I joined or that they wait to see who doesn't renew and then send them a letter in Spring. The course is usually in a bad state when wet so I haven't been near the place.

Last year was my first year back golfing so not sure how the system works anymore. Is it calendar year at most clubs, I think my old club used look for renewals around October time.

It's €450 (9 hole course) to join and I was planning a round for tomorrow but was in 2 minds whether to pay a green fee or cough up the money. But getting a round in is starting to look unlikely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,573 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

You owe your club nothing, fair enough support it if you like but if there's a number of clubs in your area it's a buyers market.

Trust me if you "support" your club for years and years and something happens that you can't pay the sub they won't be long showing you the door. I've seen it first hand. Like car insurance it pays to shop around.

I've paid upfront already though, the course will be closed for the foreseeable. Hard to know what happens next.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭ger664

I'm debating whether to keep paying my monthly DD. It seems like golf is going to be one of the last things to be closed due to lower risk of spreading coronavirus(When all proper precautions and social distancing is followed of course). So with that logic courses should be first to open back up when we move back to less restrictive measures.

https://www.golfnet.ie/news/golfnet/4645/gui-ilgu-recommend-all-clubs-and-golf-facilities-to-close

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Rackstar

Never seen you on this before, maybe you have but dont attack me about my true colors, I only asked a genuine question that most sane people replied sensibly and for your information I'm a fully paid up member of my club and have a worry about where this goes as I know renewals were only due around now

Don’t feign worry for your club while looking for ways out of your sub then. If you really cared you would have posted a thread looking for ways to get members to continue paying their sub.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,548 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

slave1 wrote: »
    Are you serious ?

I accept it depends on the type of club. But very surprised at the pace people willing to even consider this.

But , I'll be paying everything - even my gym and let them come up with a proposal over the next 2/3 months.

I sense there were some of the actions that have been taken, that have been a bit Irish, a bit opportunistic.

We are coming off the back of 6/7 years a fairly substantial economic growth and the speed of let offs and style is extraordinary.

Well the weather did play it's part because I generally pay the first time I'm golfing and subs due, also nearly all my playing partners are in the same boat in that they are undecided on what to do.
    In any case I was moving clubs this year but now don't know what to do.
    Again, subs are not short change, I have 3 kids with the first in Uni since September so I have to wise up that I have the potential of 15 years Uni costs to pay for so now I stop and think at all spends, from a cash flow perspective there is the potential of all 3 in Uni at the same time, my brain blows when I work out the cost for that year I can tell you.
    As you said, emotional times but I would also say we are in a time where folk just do not know whats around the corner and decisions just cannot be made...

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Don’t feign worry for your club while looking for ways out of your sub then. If you really cared you would have posted a thread looking for ways to get members to continue paying their sub.

I'm thinking this is a personal attack on me and you are hiding behind Rackstar as you've never posted on this forum before but you are 65 bus ride away from me,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭finglashoop

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I pay mine by DD every month and I’ve no intention of stopping it. I haven’t played my course since October either - not 100% by my choice either, the timesheet was always full when I went to try get out.
    Clubs are going to struggle and until I’m short of cash, I’ll keep paying. I want my club to be here when all this eventually comes to an end.

Same for me. My wifes job is closed but my work is safe enough for now. So as long as i can afford it ill keep paying

GreeBo wrote: »
    I'm thinking about changing my sub to an hourly DD.
    That way I can cancel it at night time and when the course is closed due to rain or frost.

I'll save a bundle!

:D

Look - we are in a bloody crash (again :mad:) and we are going to enter a cycle of bargain basement golf. It will be like the NAMA years golf again.

30/50 quid for a championship level course. Watch this space.

Membership will fall off fairly quick. As already seen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,573 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Hopefully

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Hopefully

I'll be honest and say I enjoyed them myself.

But I think - the argument was won (here), that it wasn't a sustainable model for golf clubs in Ireland. Basically was just below cost selling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Look - we are in a bloody crash (again :mad:) and we are going to enter a cycle of bargain basement golf. It will be like the NAMA years golf again.

Membership will fall off fairly quick. As already seen here.

I dont think so, not if we get over this in a few months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Same for me. My wifes job is closed but my work is safe enough for now. So as long as i can afford it ill keep paying

My wife is self employed and had to close her business temporarily 10 days ago. Not easy times ahead unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I’ve paid my membership up front from the year but did see an email from the club yesterday advising that a number members are yet to pay and their membership will be cancelled if not paid by the end of the month. I imagine a large number of these will now not pay. I’ve also paid my gym membership up front and they have advised that they are freezing all membership until they reopen. It would be nice to think that the golf club would do the same but I imagine they would not be able to afford to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Are you serious ?

There are people who know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Advertisement