Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do about Club Membership fees if courses are closed

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I have come here and argued against golf course closures and then I have made a public apology because clearly at that moment in time it was a petty thing to be arguing about. Like FP said it in one post it missed the tone of the nation.

However, we will have to return eventually to the discussion about how much sense this measure actually makes and how much is owed to perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,094 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I have come here and argued against golf course closures and then I have made a public apology because clearly at that moment in time it was a petty thing to be arguing about. Like FP said it in one post it missed the tone of the nation.

However, we will have to return eventually to the discussion about how much sense this measure actually makes and how much is owed to perception.

Can't see the lockdown, in its current state, going on into May. I think there will be a loosening of the restrictions by the end of April... but I feel a lot of golfers (those over 70) will be still under lockdown for the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Do we though?
    We can look at Italy, Spain, UK and US to see what happens when you dont employ these measures....I dont think bodies piled in icerinks is perception.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭pinkdoubleeagle

There will be an announcement tomorrow of an extension to the lockdown of 2 weeks. We won't be near a golf course before June

GreeBo wrote: »
    Do we though?
    We can look at Italy, Spain, UK and US to see what happens when you dont employ these measures....I dont think bodies piled in icerinks is perception.

Read what I said.

• Advertisement

There will be an announcement tomorrow of an extension to the lockdown of 2 weeks. We won't be near a golf course before June

I don't think its helpful to post these scary 'I think I know something that you don't know which I heard from my sisters formers boyfriends husbands mother in law' type of messages.

It might be true. There probably will be an extension. Was kinda clear from the beginning really that nothing will have changed after 2 weeks. Or after 4 weeks. Or after 3 months. We will be just back to square one.

Even more important that we will talk *eventually* about what sort of normality we can regain amidst all that. There is only so much people will be able to take of this. And I'm not talking about playing golf. I'm talking sanity and livelihoods.

Read what I said.

I did, you said:

"we will have to return eventually to the discussion about how much sense this measure actually makes and how much is owed to perception"

My point is that these restrictions are not about perception, if you don't employ restrictions then you end up with bodies piled into ice rinks and refrigerated trucks.

Where are you getting the idea that these measures are about perception?

I did, you said:

"we will have to return eventually to the discussion about how much sense this measure actually makes and how much is owed to perception"

My point is that these restrictions are not about perception, if you don't employ restrictions then you end up with bodies piled into ice rinks and refrigerated trucks.

Where are you getting the idea that these measures are about perception?

Because in terms of golf course closures I think it is about perception? And rightly so while this is raw and fresh and scary.

And I did apologise for not getting that.

Doesn't mean that I now think there is an actual risk out on a golf course. Because I don't think there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I expect(hope) once full lockdown restrictions are lifted we can go back to playing but with the same precautions as the first 2 week semi-lockdown. It all depends on the curve and the newly infected rates. I'm guessing that won't be until May at the earliest

Doesn't mean that I now think there is an actual risk out on a golf course. Because I don't think there is.

Based on what though?

Unless you can teleport in and out of your course you are interacting or at best risking interacting with others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

I think if you replace perception with something along the lines of "tangible impact" then I understand the question being posed.

I have been adhering to the current "lockdown" protocols(idiotic terminology) for a number of weeks prior to the current iteration and I have questioned it's impact at times, we all have.

However, the point of closing golf courses, public spaces etc is effectively for the lowest common denominator.

You may have the sense to pursue best practice of playing golf by yourself, not touching flags, rakes etc but the point of these measures is that if allowed, not everyone will adhere to practice.

These measures are in place so to accommodate for those who do not have the sense to follow the sentiment of the measures. Going 50m from your door on a busy street is worse than 5km down a quiet road. Most understand that but the 2km limit is in place to limit people's willingness to push boundaries.

The restrictions are in place to cater for all and should be adhered to by all in order to set an example and encourage social pressure on one another.

I understand your thoughts but unfortunately that attitude is simply myopic and misses the broader efforts of what these measures are suppose to achieve at an overarching societal level.

Based on what though?

Unless you can teleport in and out of your course you are interacting or at best risking interacting with others.

Unless you typically get to your course on the dart or on the bus or pushing your trolley through a busy street I think the risk is fairly limited?

And please don't come back to me with these 'but you might have an accident on your way' stuff. Thats really scraping the bottom of the probability barrel.

But I'm not getting into that again.

What do you think should happen Greebo? Should we all sit in lockdown until there is a cure vaccine whatever? Which could be next year?

We will have to begin *eventually* to recover and find normality where we can. Aren't we even allowed to talk about when that may be? And what that might look like? Without you coming in with your ice rink and piles of bodies language?

Unless you typically get to your course on the dart or on the bus or pushing your trolley through a busy street I think the risk is fairly limited?

And please don't come back to me with these 'but you might have an accident on your way' stuff. Thats really scraping the bottom of the probability barrel.

What do you think should happen Greebo? Should we all sit in lockdown until there is a cure vaccine whatever? Which could be next year?

We will have to begin *eventually* to recover and find normality where we can. Aren't we even allowed to talk about when that may be? And what that might look like? Without you coming in with your ice rink and piles of bodies language?

Why are accidents scraping the bottom of the barrel? :confused:
    Why do you think there is a 2km restriction?

Does your car run on love or does it also need fuel?

Yeah "eventually", when it makes sense to do it. Not when some golfers are getting twitchy.

IMO you are in serious danger of walking yourself into another apology post.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭pakman

Golf is generally 4 people from different household and/or towns intermingling even with the best intentions. Its unnecessary risk in a situation with so many unknowns and with lots of examples of how mismanaging it can lead to disaster.

Until numbers of infections start coming down or level off and proper antibody testing starts to give people license to return to work we have to remain on top of the problem by treating it with respect.

With incubation periods at maybe 2 weeks and probably 50% of infected being asymptomatic, we only get to see the effect of policy change after two weeks. Bring in lockdown, wait two weeks. The numbers are flattening, wait two weeks. If things haven't gotten worse then we can open some more services. Then wait two weeks!

The biggest threat then comes from the 'fed up' who break protocol and put people at risk and then we get a new surge.

Why are accidents scraping the bottom of the barrel? :confused:
    Why do you think there is a 2km restriction?

Does your car run on love or does it also need fuel?

Yeah "eventually", when it makes sense to do it. Not when some golfers are getting twitchy.

IMO you are in serious danger of walking yourself into another apology post.

So who do decides when it makes sense, you? Just to be clear I am talking about talking about it.

I am not in danger, thanks. I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

So who do decides when it makes sense, you? Just to be clear I am talking about talking about it.

The people who decide are the scientists and the medical experts who are fully informed of the situation on a national and local scale.

You can start talking about talking about it whenever you want, but it would be nice if you backed up your reason for talking about it with some facts, other than effectively "I'm bored and want to play golf"

You dismissed my point about accidents as "scraping the barrel" and talked about risk to golfers as minimal, going so far as to say that you "dont think there is" a risk on the golf course. Again, whats this based on?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

This thread has crossed over into a completely different topic so just re read the thread title anyone before posting again!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Yesterday a colleague of mine lost her brother to Covid 19. He died in isolation with his family at home.
    A young doctor I know had to ring three families yesterday to tell them their loved ones had passed away. She went home afterwards to isolate herself, when she really needed to held and consoled, so she can face the same challenges again today. She has launched an appeal for old devices to be donated so families can connect with their loved ones and get the chance to say goodbye.
    Golf seems quite trivial in comparison. However some day you will have the pleasure of smelling the freshly cut grass walking down the first fairway, watching the flight of the ball as it arrows towards the pin, holding your breath as a tricky downhill six footer drops in the side door and enjoying banter with strangers who became friends,
    If you are in a position to do so pay your subscriptions.Value what you have. Keep your club alive. You will be glad to have it when this is all over.

Advertisement