Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

13-03-2020, 19:57   #1
Guffy

Creche charging for child's place during closure.

Got a text today from the manager advising that the "board of management" have decided that normal fees will apply during the school closure. Wtf? Is this being imposed by all creches? Paying for xmas week was bad enough but 2-5 weeks. They can feck off
Thanks from:
Advertisement
13-03-2020, 20:03   #2
_Brian

I’m well past that stage of my life but damn that’s hard to take.

Many households may be down in income because of kids home as someone needs to be with them.

Many people are being put on notice or reduced hours too.
(2) thanks from:
13-03-2020, 20:09   #3
ruwithme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffy View Post
Got a text today from the manager advising that the "board of management" have decided that normal fees will apply during the school closure. Wtf? Is this being imposed by all creches? Paying for xmas week was bad enough but 2-5 weeks. They can feck off
I agree with you completely. its gonna be dog eat dog in the time ahead. there will be a blood bath before this is all over. job losses e.t.c. they will be looking for children to fill places when through. best of luck.
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 20:11   #4
Suckit

The place near us are charging reduced fees. No wages, no electricity etc. They haven't agreed a fee yet, but it will just be a fee to stop them from closure and and to keep everyone happy. It will be reviewed again on 1st April.
(3) thanks from:
13-03-2020, 20:11   #5
Minier81

Job losses is exactly why I am happy to pay my creche. I don't want the staff there to lose their jobs because they can't afford to keep them.
Advertisement
13-03-2020, 20:14   #6

Best part of 2.5 weeks, load of bollox.
Its a total cop out, get the "we have to pay staff and costs" etc, but I had been told previously that most staff dont even get paid if not in work!!
I came across this before when there was a closure and I was met with a point blank blunt response, I get they will have certain costs they will possibly pay on an ongoing basis, maybe monthly like insurance, but nothing like the complete costs put onto parents.
13-03-2020, 20:17   #7
iwillhtfu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier81 View Post
Job losses is exactly why I am happy to pay my creche. I don't want the staff there to lose their jobs because they can't afford to keep them.
I've paid creche for the entire month of March and told by a staff member yesterday they're not getting paid during the closure.
13-03-2020, 20:23   #8
Guffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier81 View Post
Are the staff getting paid? Why aren't they signing on like everyone else? If my place closes i get nothing.
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 20:26   #9
Gooey Looey

My wife is a community crèche worker, she's been told it's unsure whether she'll be paid in full, 70_80% of pay is the figure is all they can manage as they are seeking funding to cover more
Advertisement
13-03-2020, 20:28   #10
c montgomery

My GF works in a creche, she's not getting paid.

My child attends a different creche, staff their won't be paid.

They were all in the dole office today
Thanks from:
13-03-2020, 20:32   #11
Sleeper12

My kids are in their late 20s but it irked my 25 years ago that crèches charged a fee to keep the place open for your child while they closed for two weeks at Christmas! Every other business in the world adds this to the weekly free and you don't feel so ripped off.

Can i suggest getting together with other parents and refusing to pay this money. It's a crazy fee BUT paying them for Christmas has gotten them in the habit of getting money for nothing
13-03-2020, 20:34   #12
Sleeper12

As. Nancy Ragen says just say no
13-03-2020, 23:44   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guffy View Post
Are the staff getting paid? Why aren't they signing on like everyone else? If my place closes i get nothing.

They proably should get something, I think the issue is that staff arent being paid and parenst are still expected to pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by c montgomery View Post
My GF works in a creche, she's not getting paid.

My child attends a different creche, staff their won't be paid.

They were all in the dole office today

Christ, you'd think they'd be able to sign on online, business should have an agreed code that its closed and no pay and then issue that to staff to submit online, save front of house staff in contact and people not getting payed being in contact with everyone, Im I the only one who thinks of this stuff??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeper12 View Post
My kids are in their late 20s but it irked my 25 years ago that crèches charged a fee to keep the place open for your child while they closed for two weeks at Christmas! Every other business in the world adds this to the weekly free and you don't feel so ripped off.

Can i suggest getting together with other parents and refusing to pay this money. It's a crazy fee BUT paying them for Christmas has gotten them in the habit of getting money for nothing

Im outright going to start bringing this up with parents I come across, in front of the creche manager if need be, I know some will be like my wife and be too embarrassed to oppose it shut me down as ts an uncomfortable subject.
14-03-2020, 08:54   #14
Statutory Ape

It's a hure of a situation. We pay a month in advance so March is paid already. If they tell us we have to pay the full fees for April I dont know what we will do. We are fortunate that our jobs will allow remote working for as long as it is required but the thought of paying €1600 in April with no benefit from it is sickening. The problem is if we decide to pull them out what do we do when (if) this dies down? The creche is great and most of the staff are lovely plus its difficult to find childcare where we are. I'd be happy enough to pay a reduced rate, maybe 60%, enough to pay staff but if this goes on long term I just dont know
(4) thanks from:
14-03-2020, 08:56   #15
Lux23

My brother is a childcare worker and he has had to sign on, I would be cancelling my Direct Debit if a creche said this to me.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion