Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

I am assuming hybrid, if it was 100% WFH I agree that everyone would move back to their home town or out of the cities at least, but property prices in the city remain inflated so something is making people stick around.

The flexibility is great but if you are tied to the same city then it is limited and, again, suits those who have roots layed down. 100% WFH could be seen as preferable so you can work from abroad and beyond. By the way I am not thinking just in Dublin terms but also London, New York, etc. This change affects a whole generation of workers, and it's now on them to try and fashion it into a lifestyle before it's too late.

Just my 2c.

WFH is all about flexibility, the days of the rigid 9-5 routine are gone.

I live close to work so the "crappy commute" is not an issue and I can start checking emails at around the same time that I would have arrived at the office so from a productivity point of view, there is no change there.

I do however need to be onsite at irregular times as with any IT support role, the faults happen at random times and need an onsite presence to resolve I can also carry out planned work at the same time to avoid unnecessary trips in.

With all the covid restrictions, I do find the workplace (as well as most other public places) rather hostile at the moment with all the mask and distancing rules, so for health reasons I prefer to stay away as much as possible.

Hopefully when all this nonsense is over the hybrid working model will continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭Thats me

@donalbaker

couple comments:

1. Not every IT support requring on-site work, only if you do hardware support in the office or datacenter. All other things can be done remotely.
    2. Not sure is hybrid model any better than working completely from home or from office. I see WFH much more beneficial than hybrid because you at least not linked to the place and can afford moving to where you'd like to live, this is unreachable with hybrid. Continuous changing workplace from home to office and back home again also seems for me as a source of additional stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,459 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Flexibility is great, but it's not the solution to the problem of payment for office facilities. The employee in the box room is still going to be in a very difficult situation for much of their working life, even if they get to go into the office for a day or two.

Maybe, just maybe, a solution is there somewhere, based around the employee having the right to be based in an office building .

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I would be very surprised if there's not already something in employment law saying that employees have a right to be provided with everything they reasonably need to do the job.

• Advertisement

1, As we know there are many types of IT work that range entirely desk based to entirely onsite support and everything in between.

2, For my job, hybrid is the best option as I used to be 80% desk based and 20% onsite support, now 80% WFH 20% onsite.

Only difference is all the desk work is at home, no stress from working from different places.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Heaven forbid something like that would exist...

There is an obligation under Safety Health and Welfare at Work Act 2005 for the employer to provide any equipment necessary for safe work;

(i) having regard to the general principles of prevention in Schedule 3, where risks cannot be eliminated or adequately controlled or in such circumstances as may be prescribed, providing and maintaining such suitable protective clothing and equipment as is necessary to ensure, so far as is reasonably practicable, the safety, health and welfare at work of his or her employees;

Such as:-

Safety boots in case you drop your laptop

Hi viz so family members can see you

warning signs around the house etc..

In reality, any reasonable employer will provide support for the provision of a suitable workstation, desk, chair lighting for those who have the space at home for a home office. Those who have unsuitable accommodation should be provided with a seat at a local business hub, where all the H&S requirements will be met.

No-one in the public service is getting any of those accommodations. .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

Return to office delayed "indefinitely" at top firms.

--> Google staff were expected to return in January. Return to office delayed "indefinitely".

--> Dito for Uber staff. Uber staff were expected to return in January. Return to office delayed "indefinitely".

--> Ford delaying return from January to some time in "March".

--> Major corporations that had planned to shepherd all their employees back into offices in early 2022 now have to decide whether those dates make sense in light of further evidence of the pandemic’s unpredictability.

--> Employers face a timing conundrum: Employees want and expect advance notice if their return-to-office plans will change, but much about omicron will remain unknown for weeks.

Naming dates for a return to office seem out the window at least until after the Omicorn wave hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭gaming_needs90

Has anyone moved to an employer far away during covid? Am toying with the idea of moving to a better company in Dublin/Cork and I am in Galway. Unfortunately all the best jobs are in either place. Nowhere will offer 5 days remote by all accounts, but 3 days remote seems to be the standard now. Is a 2 day a week commute like this feasible? I think one day would be perfect.

is there someone in Dublin you can stay with one night a week? Then one commute and an overnight becomes very manageable

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

I know some who have made a deal with their employer to come up every fortnight or so having moved away. I know plenty of others who have ditched Dublin rented places but not sure if they will come back or not when the time comes. However with all these things I think working with the employer is important, I doubt many actually care about 2 vs 3 days so you can be up front about it as a request. If you aren't then they can make things tough for you later down the road and leave you in a worse position.

Two days every fortnight would be great and very doable. As one recruiter said to me, it's still early days and because most places haven't called people back properly yet - we don't really know what the real future policy will be.

Ah, unfortunately not. A nice little one bed in Dublin as my side property would make life a whole lot easier 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭JoChervil

B&B then? If a difference in salaries would be significant, so maybe it would be worth considering? Maybe company could include it as costs, so before tax?

And it could be only temporary thing just for the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭tigger123

B&B is probably your best bet, or Air BNB. You can get very reasonable rates. Think there might even be a few hostels in D2 where you can rent your own room for the night. Bed and shower is all you really need.

A B&B, if you make a standing deal with them, for 2 nights a week on a weekly basis, midweek, they'd probably bite your hand off.

That being said, don't know how many are taking guests with covid

• Registered Users Posts: 25,710 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Bear in mind that your 2 in-office days may not be contiguous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

It would be a vindictive and nasty manager who’d do that, and not someone who id want to work for

• Registered Users Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Thankfully we already have a vaccine for that, it is called Working From Home.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Sitting up there waiting to pounce like Anne Robinson on weakest link

The only problem you have of working from home is that you think your employer is taking advantage of you or something and you should be compensated.

The only mindset I can see is that you work in a call center close to minimum wage otherwise it wouldn't matter to you whatsoever.

I'd rather 10K a year be taken off my wages and continue to work from home than have to deal with bullshit office politics, buy work clothes, go to bed an hour earlier and up 90 minutes earlier, home an hour later.

True, unfortunately, there are some truly awful managers out there, the ones who just look at a spreadsheet when rostering without any care about the personal circumstances of the staff at all.

I don't work in a call centre, and I'm a good way off minimum wage.

Imagine if you could continue to work from home, not have to deal with bullshit office politics, not have to buy work clothes, not have to go to bed an hour earlier and up 90 minutes earlier, home an hour later - and end up with €10k ON TOP OF your wages? Why are people so willing to let their employers exploit them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

You know what, you're right. I'm gonna ring my boss in the morning and demand a wage increase or I'm coming back to the office!

How are they exploiting you by giving you the privilege of working from home. After Covid is over all companies will offer a choice so what does it matter. If you don't like working home, then go to the office. Its that simple.

• Advertisement

Yeah, damn the man, fight the power!

How dare these employers give us additional time back each day, force us to have less stress, healthier lives, happier families, all for the same pay we are currently on.

Advertisement