Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James McLean abuse

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭_blaaz

janfebmar wrote: »
    While football fans face 10 year ban for sectarian chants, there should also be bans for soccor players who are guilty of such chants and sectarian songs themselves.

Meh....each to.their own...ive given.my opioion

You cheer on banning people for.years on end over a song all yous want....deosnt seem based in rational.taught though?

Your honestly wanting to ban people for singing songs...perhaps it with the taliban you belong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

_blaaz wrote: »
    You cheer on banning people for.years on end over a song all yous want....deosnt seem based in rational.taught though?

Sectarianism or glorification of para-militaries should have no place in sport or from Sports people. You think it would be ok if some international soccer player sung pro-uvf chants or pro-beider meinhof gang chants or pro 911 bombers chants?

Sure tell some more about your wanting to ban people for singing songs :pac: :pac:
    Soccers fans already face bans from future matches if singing sectarian songs in N. Ireland / Scotland. Thats how hard the authorities are trying to stamp out sectarianism in sport. And it is working.

You have not answered the question: You think it would be ok if some international soccer player sung pro-uvf chants or pro-beider meinhof gang chants or pro 911 bombers chants?

You have not answered the question: You think it would be ok if some international soccer player sung pro-uvf chants or pro-beider meinhof gang chants or pro 911 bombers chants?

Dont see anything wrong with it mate...its just a song??

Why you want to impersonate the taliban and ban people for singing is something you have to explain the rationale behind??

Dont see anything wrong with it mate...its just a song??

If a politician who jokes about with a loaf of Kingsmill bread on his head on the anniversary of the Kingsmill atrocity gets a ban from his own party, should not a football player who publishes a video of himself singing an ira song on the anniversary of the Enniskillen bombing not also face some sort of a temporary ban or disclipine?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mazwell

Berserker wrote: »
    Heard him on the radio today. For a lad who wants nothing more than peace and quiet, he spends an awful lot of time posting controversial content online. I feel sorry for him, if I'm honest. It'd be great if he could embrace life outside the republican bubble and open his mind and heart to other cultures, like so many people from Londonderry/Derry have before him. Wasn't even born during the troubles! You'd swear he lived through them.

I've no time for him because I think he courts controversy for attention but he was born during the troubles. He was in my brothers class in school. He didn't live through the worst of them but the army, border,bomb scares etc would still be a part of his formative years

If a politician who jokes about with a loaf of Kingsmill bread on his head on the anniversary of the Kingsmill atrocity gets a ban from his own party, should not a football player who publishes a video of himself singing an ira song on the anniversary of the Enniskillen bombing not also face some sort of a temporary ban or disclipine?

No....what exactly have you againest singing

Quiet why your throwing all kinds of whataboutery through this meltdown askimg dozens of increasingly incoherent questions is hilarious though :D:D

Yous cant come up with a logical reason why you dont like singing (lolz for wanting to ban people over it though)....so instead are throwing out all kinds of irrelelevant rubbish to try cover what is increasingly obviously a stupid position you began from

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

"hypercritcal bastard"

If it was written with eruditeness then you'd take it seriously. Just reads like a 60+ year old semi literate non entity with a chip on their shoulder. The anonymity of it displays immense cowardice but to make public such lunatic ramblings just lends credibility in the mind of the dope who sent it.

mazwell wrote: »
    I've no time for him because I think he courts controversy for attention but he was born during the troubles. He was in my brothers class in school. He didn't live through the worst of them but the army, border,bomb scares etc would still be a part of his formative years

He was born in 1989 and in 1994, the PIRA declared a 'complete cessation of violence" so its unlikely he would remember too much of the troubles.
    Yous cant come up with a logical reason why you dont like singing

I like singing but there is a reason the authorities have clamped down on sectarianism in sport. It is generally felt the world over that sports people should not propogate sectarianism or endorse paramilitaries.

I like singing but there is a reason the authorities have clamped down on .

Mate you want to ban people for singing....your fooling noone

• Advertisement

Mate you want to ban people for singing....your fooling noone

People have already been banned for singing sectarian songs elsewhere which you appear to have no difficulty with. 'Tis the law.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

janfebmar wrote:
    He was born in 1989 and in 1994, the PIRA declared a 'complete cessation of violence" so its unlikely he would remember too much of the troubles.

What's that got to do with it though.

It won't make the songs go away.
    There's no black player in England that remembers slavery.
    Guy Fawkes passed a long time ago but some still burn the Catholic dummy every year.
    Again imagine if it was celebrating burning a Jewish or Black person.

He doesn't want to celebrate or glorify the acts of all ex British army. He's no issue with WW1 and 2

If his actions help to stop the abuse it will be worth it imo.

I'd a relative in the British army, ended up in a concentration camp in India when he reacted to Dublin being bombed.

Not only did he support the army, he joined it, but rejected it due to specific actions. It was understandable, people make these decisions, some have principles.

I understand JMcC and his specific reasons. They are personal, reasonable and credible imo. I think he's right to keep it going.

People want him to just break and it keep quiet about it, but he is right to standby what he believes, some are misinterpreting this as being a bit "mouthy" but it is consistent, you don't have to agree or like him, but the abuse he gets is wrong imo.

So you dont like singing (despite lying that ypu do)and want to ban more

Liberals like you are closer to taliban than you realise....what is it with leftism and censorship?

If anyone is close to the taliban, who you mention, I think it is the pira in the song / chants.

The authorities have taken steps over the past few decades to reduce sectarianism in sport, for example between Celtic and Rangers. It has worked. More than a few supporters have been banned from football matches for singing sectarianism songs, and some clubs have been fined sizeable amounts of money eg £70,000 for sectarian singing from fans at a match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 314 ✭✭Blinky Plebum

The big difference between those 2 situations is that politicians are elected representatives of the people of that country and therefore are held to a higher standard of behaviour than a professional footballer is.

Stoner wrote: »
    What's that got to do with it though.

If you read back you will see I was clarifying a poster who said "the army, border,bomb scares etc would still be a part of his formative years"

And where did they ever want to ban people for singing?

Both the taliban and the pira used violence in the pursuit of political objectives, which is completely different to authorities like fifa fining rangers and celtic for fans / spectators singing sectarian singing songs at their stadiums.

Did you know Celtic fans who chanted pro-IRA slogans and sung republican songs were asked leave the famous soccer club ground and had their tickets withdrawn by the club? And the same with Rangers fans who sung their songs at Ibrox?

But only 1 wanted to outlaw singing....like you do aswel?

Did you know Celtic fans who chanted pro-IRA slogans and sung republican songs were asked leave their famous soccer club ground and had their tickets withdrawn by the club? And the same with Rangers fans who sung their songs at Ibrox?

And what has this to do with you wanting to ban singing??

Singing of sectarian songs is already banned at soccer stadiums. Do try to catch up with the past few decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Janfebmar and all you other little cesspit sectarian backwater statelet apologists..
    News flash..your day is gone, the croppies dont lie down anymore.
    Do the sensible thing for your own sanity,reconcile yourself with this.The Brits dont want you (never really did,but you were useful sandbags for empire building) but your fellow Irish citizens, James McClean included,are decent human beings who would never want to inflict on you what was inflicted on them.You are welcome with open Arms into a new Ireland, a new Europe.Embrace it,its full of hope..of course Nigel and Boris will gladly march you to the top of the hill and down again,but maybe you will cop on this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭mazwell

The army didn't leave the north until 2007. So its pretty likely hed remember it. But you always make ridiculous arguments

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,433 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

The big difference between those 2 situations is that politicians are elected representatives of the people of that country and therefore are held to a higher standard of behaviour than a professional footballer is.

Kids look up to foorballers.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

timthumbni wrote: »
    You fixed it for him. To “Daire” . Awkward......

Got a spelling wrong,it's no big deal.

what's worse is a poster on an Irish forum using that "Londonderry" sh1te, now that is embarassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Mrsmum

Did you know Celtic fans who chanted pro-IRA slogans and sung republican songs were asked leave their famous soccer club ground and had their tickets withdrawn by the club? And the same with Rangers fans who sung their songs at Ibrox?

Do you not think though those same supporters are likely singing the songs banned from the pitches in their own pubs when they gather there. That's what tribes do and football fans are like tribes, part of the fun to 'hate' the other side. But most people know when to put it away, not to mention the fact that it is dangerous to goad the other side at the actual game where tensions and passions run high while the game is ongoing. That's a recipe for trouble which is why it is dealt with, mostly for health and safety reasons. James McClean was on his own time, not on the pitch. You can hardly censure him singing songs that are probably as familiar to him as Molly Malone is to old style Dubliners. Besides if you were to sanction him for singing a song/songs, those songs would take on even more significance,meaning and power which presumably s the very opposite from what you want. Or if you want to make an example of him, you'll do the opposite in terms of making him a hero among his own.

Kids look up to foorballers.

Exactly. That is why sponsors should look for his resignation, as if a politician resigns for a period after joking about the Kingsmill atrocity on the anniversary of Kingsmill, surely it is more serious if Mclean sings IRA songs / chants in a video on the Anniversary of the Enniskillen atrocity?

Exactly. That is why sponsors should look for his resignation, as if a politician resigns for a period after joking about the Kingsmill atrocity on the anniversary of Kingsmill, surely it is more serious if Mclean sings IRA songs / chants in a video on the Anniversary of the Enniskillen atrocity?

Meh...its still only a song

Meh...its still only a song

Footballers should not post videos of themselves on the anniversary of the IRA atrocity in Enniskillen, singing sectarian songs glorifying the Pira. Would a shirt sponsor of a team want to be associated with such behaviour?

Footballers should not post videos of themselves on the anniversary of the IRA atrocity in Enniskillen, singing sectarian songs glorifying the Pira. Would a shirt sponsor of a team want to be associated with such behaviour?

Why not?

this song had nothing to do with pira too...your full of fake outrage rubbish mate

Just because you dont like singing isnt any reason to ban it...i dont like alcohol...but dont see me wanting to ban it

Why not?

this song had nothing to do with pira too...your full of fake outrage rubbish mate

Just because you dont like singing isnt any reason to ban it...i dont like alcohol...but dont see me wanting to ban it

I am not your mate. I like singing, but like most of the population I do not like the singing of sectarian songs or songs glorifying paramilitarism on either side.

Name another soccer player, or even sportsperson , who has behavied so appallingly?

I am not your mate. I like singing.

Except you dont....you want to get people banned/sacked for singing

You dont even know the song your outraged over :D:D......just someone told you what you wanted to hear and you ran with it without researching it:pac:

Name another soccer player, or even sportsperson , who has behavied so appallingly?

Name another sportperson who has sung a song....jurgen klopp sung about sex after champions league final....the unmigitigated horror your taliban tendancies must be facing now :D :pac:

• Advertisement

boetstark wrote: »
    He should be entitled to not wear it but it's the crap he posts on social media. Eg on remembrance Sunday posting on Instagram a video of himself and his wife driving singing along to IRA songs.

Good point

Advertisement