Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James McLean abuse

Options

Comments

James McClean, I presume.

Not surprised at all. And I don't think anybody who remembers the Harryville Church stuff outside Ballymena where Irish Catholics endured abuse from loyalist mobs for 20 months (Sept. 1996 - May 1998) every Saturday night as they walked to mass (the "protest" recommenced once again in April 1999). Spitting on them, throwing urine on them, burning down the church - in Ireland, in a part of the UK, in the late 1990s (some of you might remember they moved on to doing similar to primary school children in Belfast in 2001). For making a stand against it at the time, the UUP mayor of Ballymena James Curry put himself in the category of the most courageous people of the Troubles. David Ervine RIP of the PUP, too, deserves enormous respect for his courage in opposing it. Nevertheless, the whole travesty was practically ignored over in Britain. How long would such ineffably vile and disgusting treatment of people attending religious services have been tolerated outside a synagogue, or even a mosque, in England? And that answer reveals very much about an underlying "acceptability" regarding the stuff McClean gets.

NIMAN wrote: »
    No mention of it on English media yet?

None at all, other than skysports, The Sun, daily Mail, talksport, Stoke sentinel......

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

English nationalism is bizarre. For a nation that spent most of its history colonising and inflicting suffering on others they sure have a victimised view of themselves. Amazingly at various times they seem to see themselves as being victim to the Irish, Indians or African. A little bit of historical education might do them the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

steddyeddy wrote: »
    English nationalism is bizarre. For a nation that spent most of its history colonising and inflicting suffering on others they sure have a victimised view of themselves. Amazingly at various times they seem to see themselves as being victim to the Irish, Indians or African. A little bit of historical education might do them the world of good.

This is from one mad English bloke(presuming) hes not representing a nation.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

I was talking about English nationalism. Brexit, Ukip ect ect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,213 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Aegir wrote: »
    None at all, other than skysports, The Sun, daily Mail, talksport, Stoke sentinel......

Ah, I see.
    I don't do trash media, so that rules most of them out.

I was hoping to see something on the BBC.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

Ssshhh, this is the perfect excuse for certain posters to complain about anti Irish bigotry by showing their anti English bigotry.

Don’t spoil their party.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

At least he didn’t call it “Londonderry”.

Probably hates London too all the southern soft ies and immigents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

"and you have to drink that muck called Guinness that qualifys"

I'd rather drink that then that piss Stella that a lot of your fellow country men are so mad about.

Ssshhh, this is the perfect excuse for certain posters to complain about anti Irish bigotry by showing their anti English bigotry.

Don’t spoil their party.

Disliking English nationalism does not equal disliking English people. You often argue against Irish nationalism. Do you therefore hate the Irish?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭klaaaz

James McClean, I presume.

Not surprised at all. And I don't think anybody who remembers the Harryville Church stuff outside Ballymena where Irish Catholics endured abuse from loyalist mobs for 20 months (Sept. 1996 - May 1998) every Saturday night as they walked to mass (the "protest" recommenced once again in April 1999). Spitting on them, throwing urine on them, burning down the church - in Ireland, in a part of the UK, in the late 1990s (some of you might remember they moved on to doing similar to primary school children in Belfast in 2001). For making a stand against it at the time, the UUP mayor of Ballymena James Curry put himself in the category of the most courageous people of the Troubles. David Ervine RIP of the PUP, too, deserves enormous respect for his courage in opposing it. Nevertheless, the whole travesty was practically ignored over in Britain. How long would such ineffably vile and disgusting treatment of people attending religious services have been tolerated outside a synagogue, or even a mosque, in England? And that answer reveals very much about an underlying "acceptability" regarding the stuff McClean gets.

I remember all that too. It actually took the British media(thanks to ITN) for the first time ever in 2001(in around 400 years!) to condemn and plaster all over their headlines of the hatred from loyalists for the schoolgoing kids, the loyalists themselves were in shock from the backlash in Britain, a serious own goal for loyalism. Unfortunately I don't think there has been a backlash ever since though the DUP extremists might provoke one over Brexit.
    So yes, the British media bar that one case don't care about what happens to Irish people.

Disliking English nationalism does not equal disliking English people. You often argue against Irish nationalism. Do you therefore hate the Irish?

Only the ones that are bigoted *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I don't think there is support for anti Irish sentiment over there generally speaking. Millions of Irish live there. Despite claims to the contrary, England is actually a very inclusive society. As said, this actually did garner media coverage. Any dearth in coverage is likely more to do with him being white than Irish.

Hardline loyalists bother me way more, and Irish people themselves are the worst for putting down Irish people from what I see. "The worst" because of the added arrogance and lack of self awareness.

Only the ones that are bigoted *****.

I'll ask again. I dislike English nationalism, you dislike Irish nationalism. Based on this you claim I am anti-English. if this were true you're anti-Irish as well as the majority of loyalist and unionist posters on this site. Does not liking nationalism of a particular flavour mean you don't like the nationality?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

At least he didn’t call it “Londonderry”.

Or worse still Derrylondonderry:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

James has abused himself with those awful tattoos. What was he thinking??

Thanks for your input there Karen.

I'll ask again. I dislike English nationalism, you dislike Irish nationalism. Based on this you claim I am anti-English. if this were true you're anti-Irish as well as the majority of loyalist and unionist posters on this site. Does not liking nationalism of a particular flavour mean you don't like the nationality?

The difference is though Eddy, I don’t dislike Irish nationalism. Unfortunately, like nationalism everywhere, the often manifests itself into bigotry. That is what I despise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

There are morons everywhere. I don't agree with what he did though allowing NI youth team to spend money on him and to train him up when he always knew he wanted to play for the republic, a bit shady.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,249 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

cloudatlas wrote: »
    There are morons everywhere. I don't agree with what he did though allowing NI youth team to spend money on him and to train him up when he always knew he wanted to play for the republic, a bit shady.

Football player makes adult decision shocker....

To be fair the Good Friday agreement means that to some people anything Northern Irish can either Irish or British. That's the unfortunate reality of the place. It's not a big leap to go to the republic from Northern Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

what's that got to do with anything?

seriously!?

you might come back and explain why you think that what you've posted bears any relevance to the OP? Other than it being about James McClean..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

To be fair the Good Friday agreement means that to some people anything Northern Irish can either Irish or British. That's the unfortunate reality of the place. It's not a big leap to go to the republic from Northern Ireland.

strange choice of phrase

lawred2 wrote: »
    strange choice of phrase

Well yes for some people it is an unfortunate reality that Northern Ireland can be viewed as Irish and an extension of the Republic. I should have clarified that I wouldn't be one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

lawred2 wrote: »
    what's that got to do with anything?

seriously!?

you might come back and explain why you think that what you've posted bears any relevance to the OP? Other than it being about James McClean..

I don't need your permission to have an opinion. Yes I feel sorry for him nobody should suffer abuse, you see that especially with the constant abuse suffered by black players playing for italian teams and it's abhorrent.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

gimli2112 wrote: »
    It's strange that I think the odd thing about this was someone wrote him a letter rather than posting it online

part of the personal threat i'd guess was having it sent to his house rather than on twitter or whatnot

I think the odd thing is an English nationalist using "Derry". I can't get over that. It makes sense though. English nationalists have a vague sense of British superiority but lack any real knowledge of history. In this case he/she reasons that McLean supports that IRA because he doesn't wear the poppy. They don't have the ability to look into it deeper. So I'd be surprised if he/she knows about the naming dispute for Derry or else they would have used it to provoke.

part of the personal threat i'd guess was having it sent to his house rather than on twitter or whatnot

That would freak me out as well, that makes it a lot more personal than a twitter troll
    I think the odd thing is an English nationalist using "Derry". I can't get over that. It makes sense though. English nationalists have a vague sense of British superiority but lack any real knowledge of history. In this case he/she reasons that McLean supports that IRA because he doesn't wear the poppy. They don't have the ability to look into it deeper. So I'd be surprised if he/she knows about the naming dispute for Derry or else they would have used it to provoke.

or, maybe, it wasn't an English nationalist at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

The more things like this happen, the more I f*ckin love James McClean. Even if he does play football like a headless chicken.

That would freak me out as well, that makes it a lot more personal than a twitter troll

Well even weirder a Scottish Nationalist or Norther Irish loyalist!

• Advertisement

Personally I miss getting letters.

Advertisement