Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protesters occupy privately owned house to raise awarness?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

DONTMATTER wrote: »
    Who are you?
    Who I am is none of your business and I've as much right to post here as you do.
    Do you have 2 accounts you're posting under?

why would you suggest that.

so are you going to post some information from a credible source or continue to KGB your way around it?

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

Squatter wrote: »
    No they're not. Their pointless stunt will achieve absolutely nothing for the homeless, but they will gain valuable street cred from their mates and some of them may well end up in good jobs in the poverty industry sector.

Maybe if we all stood with the protesters? Joined them? Forced the government with the numerous landlords amongst them to do something about the horrible situation people find themselves in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

The truth about those who are anti the protesters is emerging. They despise them because they are highlighting an issue that goes against their profit making schemes. It seems like we have a number of landlords posting on this thread!

Thank heavens that we have towering intellectuals like you to redress the landlord-squatter (not Squatter!) imbalance on this thread!

I feel very proud to have added you to my ignore list!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Uriel. wrote: »
    Who I am is none of your business and I've as much right to post here as you do.

so are you going to post some information from a credible source or continue to KGB your way around it?

Don't go near that rabbit hole, poster!

Here be dragons!

Thank heavens that we have towering intellectuals like you to redress the landlord-squatter imbalance on this thread!

Welcome aboard! We meet Thursdays, bring cake!!!

• Advertisement

I didn't mean to imply you said it personally, it's in the statement from the peoples front of summerhill.... summer hill peoples front.... the occupiers.

Did you say that you avoid facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I didn't say anyone was greedy, I don't think owning a second home is inherently greedy at all.

If the mortage etc. is being paid by the rent, as implied by the posters words, then the asset is being acquired in the owners favour. End off.

True (eventually), but sometimes not through choice, hence "stuck".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

They are doing something to help the homeless and those in desperate need of support.

I heard one this morning on Newstalk. Crying about having to live in a hostel and having to pay €100 per week. Complaining that she doesn't get anything to eat for paying that €100.

Then she carried on and it emerges that 5 years ago she was thrown out of her house for anti social behaviour. She wanted a second chance.

I've no problem with people protesting, and on this issue I'm normally sympathetic to the cause, however, if they are going to protest, at least make sure that their spokespersons are genuinely homeless through no fault of their own.

Did you say that you avoid facebook?

Yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

They are doing something to help the homeless and those in desperate need of support.

Absolutely not. Occupying a house is not going to do anything to help those people.
    Properties that are vacant for a prolonged period should have a levy applied to them that forces the owners to either occupy them, sell them or have them removed from their ownership at below the market value.

My brother owns an apartment in Dublin city centre. He works in the USA and he comes back to Ireland twice a year. He tried to rent out the apartment a few years back but the tenants decided that paying rent was not for them and they also decided to re-decorate the place on leaving. Are you seriously telling me that he should be forced to open up that property and be subject to that treatment again?

• Advertisement

Maybe if we all stood with the protesters? Joined them? Forced the government with the numerous landlords amongst them to do something about the horrible situation people find themselves in.

I'd like to protest for the development of workhouses as a solution to the poor souls that are homeless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

My father's house is "vacant".

Damn him for having such a great deal of suffering with an illness and having to spend time in a nursing home.

Clearly according to some posters he should give up his house to some workshy layabout.

Yeah good luck getting them out later.

Have you been paying attention to the housing crisis? Seriously? Because the idea that it is only those out of or afraid of work who are in peril is delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I hear one of the protesters saying 'she deserved a 2nd chance, everyone deserves a home', not a word about those of us who never got a chance to be on the housing ladder once let alone twice.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

I was responding to a poster about reading all the information available and then you responded under a different name asking to provide you with different links. You're not supposed to have 2 accounts posting.

Thank heavens that we have towering intellectuals like you to redress the landlord-squatter (not Squatter!) imbalance on this thread!

Post reported.

Have you been paying attention to the housing crisis? Seriously? Because the idea that it is only those out of or afraid of work who are in peril is delusion.

I rent, if I miss a payment I could be kicked out.

I dont miss because I was brought up responsibly.

I'm talking - as you well know - about the crowd who want to live for free and these are the scumbags who the "protestors" are facilitating.

I was responding to a poster about reading all the information available and then you responded under a different name asking to provide you with different links. You're not supposed to have 2 accounts posting.

are you making that accusation?

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I heard one this morning on Newstalk. Crying about having to live in a hostel and having to pay €100 per week. Complaining that she doesn't get anything to eat for paying that €100.

Jaysus, God love her. I pay around 4 times that and I don't get anything to eat for it either. I did one time get tickets to the ideal homes show though, so I suppose it's swings and roundabouts, couldn't go unfortunately, can't remember why, probably had to work or something.

The irony:D

Fann Linn wrote: »

Then she carried on and it emerges that 5 years ago she was thrown out of her house for anti social behaviour. She wanted a second chance.

I've no problem with people protesting, and on this issue I'm normally sympathetic to the cause, however, if they are going to protest, at least make sure that their spokespersons are genuinely homeless through no fault of their own.

We shouldn't punish those in genuine need of support because we dislike some spokesperson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

Bredabe wrote: »
    I hear one of the protesters saying 'she deserved a 2nd chance, everyone deserves a home', not a word about those of us who never got a chance to be on the housing ladder once let alone twice.

Heard another one talking about "rich" people who earn €50K per annum. Good luck trying to buy a home on €50K in Dublin or any of the surrounding counties.

• Advertisement

Yes.

So you haven't read all their statements.

Berserker wrote: »
    Absolutely not. Occupying a house is not going to do anything to help those people.

My brother owns an apartment in Dublin city centre. He works in the USA and he comes back to Ireland twice a year. He tried to rent out the apartment a few years back but the tenants decided that paying rent was not for them and they also decided to re-decorate the place on leaving. Are you seriously telling me that he should be forced to open up that property and be subject to that treatment again?

It's highlighting the issue and the landlords behaviour. Job done.

Jaysus, God love her. I pay around 4 times that and I don't get anything to eat for it either. I did one time get tickets to the ideal homes show though, so I suppose it's swings and roundabouts, couldn't go unfortunately, can't remember why, probably had to work or something.

The irony:D

100 quid a week!

For three times that I receive the grand total of ....... a roof over my head!

Everything else on top of that!

Jaysus even the badly educated AAA shills can see that is not on!!!!

I'd like to protest for the development of workhouses as a solution to the poor souls that are homeless

As said earlier, the real motives of those protesting against the protesters eventually emerge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

Properties that are vacant for a prolonged period should have a levy applied to them that forces the owners to either occupy them, sell them or have them removed from their ownership at below the market value. It's a disgrace that last year it was reported that in Dublin city alone there were 31,000 vacant housing united, with over 6,000 being vacant for over 5 years, and nothing has been done about it.
    This house in question has been vacant 2 months though. But yes, levies on houses vacant over 2 years or whatever time frame is a good idea. Pity this stunt will do absolutely nothing towards accomplishing that or anything that will help.

Berserker wrote: »
    Heard another one talking about "rich" people who earn €50K per annum. Good luck trying to buy a home on €50K in Dublin or any of the surrounding counties.

I don't earn 50k, but I'm in the higher tax bracket (after 30 years' solid graft). Apparently I'm "the 1%" and one one occasion "Tory landowning scum".

No brains these people, none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

We shouldn't punish those in genuine need of support because we dislike some spokesperson.

I actually said that. I just qualified it first by stating get genuine spokepersons, not anti social tenants who were previously evicted.

No different in my opinion to the 'scum landlords' they're fighting against.

Bredabe wrote: »

So how about you join with them? Let's make this for all people in difficult situations. What will fighting against them achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

So who's signed up to adopt a homeless person for Christmas ,
    The last two adopt a homeless or immigrant didn't go so well .

No boardsie adopted a single homeless person or immigrant .

• Advertisement

As said earlier, the real motives of those protesting against the protesters eventually emerge.

but what about those who protest against the protesters protesting about the protesters?

Don't we now know that those people are affiliated to or have close links with communist backed influence groups?

Advertisement